Traffic Jam For Playing Time Next Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Traffic Jam For Playing Time Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
People seem to see Collier having an easier road to minutes than DeJanae Boykin. I don't see it. First, all this future gazing is a little wobbly, but I see Collier's competition heavier than De'Janae's. How these kids adapt to the college game (at the highest level) will be critical, but off her USA experience I would not sell Boykin short.

I believe Collier could play with the Huskies right now. She's way ahead of Boykin on the developmental curve from what I've seen. In fact, I think she's less likely to be held back than KLS due to her fundamentals and superior defensive abilities.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hate posts like this. First, in the past 20 years, name one big time player who transferred because of playing time...

Crickets...

That's because you can't. EDD left before she even started and it had everything to do with her family. Same for Samarie Walker. Of the other kids who have left (Johnson, Englen, Banks, Edwards), none of them were starters and none were going to ever get the PT they thought they wanted/needed.

You'd have to go back to the Sherwood, Wright and Robinson class to find anyone who left when there was plenty of PT to be had, and those 3 were just a bad fit for UCONN. Geno has done a much better job since then of identifying kids earlier and getting the right kids.

Traffic jam? Hardly. We lose 2 hugely important players to graduation - Stokes and KML. We get 3 really talented kids coming in, and one more who becomes eligible. Geno NEVER starts freshmen unless it's a necessity. Even the best of the best (Dee, Maya, Stewie) have learning curves when arriving at UCONN. Expect the same for the trio coming in.

Bottom line, the kids who are the best, practice the best and play the best will get PT. Those who struggle in any way in practice or games will be developed, but won't get as much PT. If they don't like it, they are free to follow others who have left for greener pastures.

UCONN is the best of the best. This is not t-league where everyone plays and everyone gets a trophy. UCONN stands alone as the premier WCBB program in the nation by a mile.

Kids do NOT come to UCONN expecting 35 MPG. Kids (or parents) who have approached Geno and UCONN with that attitude are shown the door.

There will be no logjam because that implies there's a problem. Between injuries, transfers, kids being better or worse than anticipated, it will all work out. And if by some miracle we have no injuries or transfers, TEAM UCONN will be a wonderful and supportive place for the kids to play.

Last thing - UCONN has ALWAYS been about the team first. Geno simply does not want kids who aren't like that. And if by some error he accidentally gets one, they won't stay very long. By all accounts, the chemistry on this team is terrific now and there's no reason to think it won't be just as terrific next year.

What is the goal of kids who come to UCONN? Is it to carve out a bunch of PT? If so, then there's the door, and I have no problem with kids who want more PT and go to a smaller school to get it. Lauren went to BC. Michala went to Wisconsin. Brianna went to PSU. A kid like Kiah or Saniya could go to 99% of the schools out there, be a starter, and get 35 MPG. They chose UCONN not because of PT, but for a ton of other reasons including NC's.

This whole logjam concept is something that is made up and that opposing coaches use against UCONN. "Don't go there and sit on the bench. Come here and get lots of PT". And the myth gets perpetuated as people continue to make threads that talk about it over and over. I doubt threads or posts will encourage or discourage any potential recruits, but it's a myth people.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ericsandiego said:
I hate posts like this. First, in the past 20 years, name one big time player who transferred because of playing time...

Crickets...

That's because you can't. EDD left before she even started and it had everything to do with her family. Same for Samarie Walker. Of the other kids who have left (Johnson, Englen, Banks, Edwards), none of them were starters and none were going to ever get the PT they thought they wanted/needed.

You'd have to go back to the Sherwood, Wright and Robinson class to find anyone who left when there was plenty of PT to be had, and those 3 were just a bad fit for UCONN. Geno has done a much better job since then of identifying kids earlier and getting the right kids.

Traffic jam? Hardly. We lose 2 hugely important players to graduation - Stokes and KML. We get 3 really talented kids coming in, and one more who becomes eligible. Geno NEVER starts freshmen unless it's a necessity. Even the best of the best (Dee, Maya, Stewie) have learning curves when arriving at UCONN. Expect the same for the trio coming in.

Bottom line, the kids who are the best, practice the best and play the best will get PT. Those who struggle in any way in practice or games will be developed, but won't get as much PT. If they don't like it, they are free to follow others who have left for greener pastures.

UCONN is the best of the best. This is not t-league where everyone plays and everyone gets a trophy. UCONN stands alone as the premier WCBB program in the nation by a mile.

Kids do NOT come to UCONN expecting 35 MPG. Kids (or parents) who have approached Geno and UCONN with that attitude are shown the door.

There will be no logjam because that implies there's a problem. Between injuries, transfers, kids being better or worse than anticipated, it will all work out. And if by some miracle we have no injuries or transfers, TEAM UCONN will be a wonderful and supportive place for the kids to play.

Last thing - UCONN has ALWAYS been about the team first. Geno simply does not want kids who aren't like that. And if by some error he accidentally gets one, they won't stay very long. By all accounts, the chemistry on this team is terrific now and there's no reason to think it won't be just as terrific next year.

What is the goal of kids who come to UCONN? Is it to carve out a bunch of PT? If so, then there's the door, and I have no problem with kids who want more PT and go to a smaller school to get it. Lauren went to BC. Michala went to Wisconsin. Brianna went to PSU. A kid like Kiah or Saniya could go to 99% of the schools out there, be a starter, and get 35 MPG. They chose UCONN not because of PT, but for a ton of other reasons including NC's.

This whole logjam concept is something that is made up and that opposing coaches use against UCONN. "Don't go there and sit on the bench. Come here and get lots of PT". And the myth gets perpetuated as people continue to make threads that talk about it over and over. I doubt threads or posts will encourage or discourage any potential recruits, but it's a myth people.

+1

well done eric. merry christmas!

Reaction Score
I realize that it's a little too early to fret about next year, and I also appreciate that the problem noted here is a classic "good problem to have". But it still seems like a BIG problem.

Next year UConn will have (by my count) no less than 11 players capable of making an impact, possibly all at a "near-All-American" level. It's also true that they are spread nicely by position:

"Bigs" (4 and 5 players): Butler, Stewart, Tuck, Collier, Boykin
Wings: Samuelson, Williams, Ekmark
Guards: Jefferson, Nurse, Chong

And it's true that several of these players are flexible as to their position -- Stewie can be a 3 or 4; Williams can be a 1, 2, or 3 (probably); Samuelson can be a 2, 3, or 4; Ekmark can possibly be a 2 or a 3.

Despite all this, how can Geno possibly give all of them a reasonable amount of playing time in competitive games, or in the first half in other games so that they are not just playing in garbage time?

If you assume that Stewie will get 30 minutes and Morgan will get 25 minutes in a competitive game, that leaves 145 minutes for 9 other players -- an average of 16 minutes per player. Is that really enough for marquee freshmen such as KLS or Napheesa? Or for Moriah or Kia Nurse? Or for Gabby Williams? Or for Natalie Butler (who may have to play more than that against opponents with good size)?

I'm sure Geno will figure it out (or injuries or other issues may solve the problem on their own -- hopefully that will not be the case). But I'm not sure he has ever had to deal with that much talent on one team, even in 2000 or 2001.
(Just kidding) Geno could do what the KY men are doing this year. 2 five player units that play at full speed for a few minutes and then rest. Nobody worries about foul trouble.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
People seem to see Collier having an easier road to minutes than DeJanae Boykin. I don't see it. First, all this future gazing is a little wobbly, but I see Collier's competition heavier than De'Janae's. How these kids adapt to the college game (at the highest level) will be critical, but off her USA experience I would not sell Boykin short.

Because, in my opinion, she is!!!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
????????
I meant as a Starter, or playing significant minutes. Of course, she was a fantastic person, who made the most of her UConn experience. Sorry for any confusion.

Merry Christmas!

Reaction Score

I think that both Collier and Boykin will get significant playng time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Napheesa's high school team plays tougher competition than De'Janae's team.

Napheesa is known for playing exceptionally hard. Think Maya.

Napheesa is a high percentage shooter from most spots on the floor, including the FT line.

Geno seemed to think that Napheesa was THE KEY recruit in 2015.

For these reasons, I think Napheesa will be more ready for playing time than De'Janae. I like both players and think both have AA potential. I think Napheesa is close to Lou and Asia Durr as the best in her class.

Reaction Score
Without taking anything away from Collier because she may well be the key 2015 recruit, IMO the UCONN fan base ( and more importantly Geno) will come to love Boykin's game. She is so fundamentally sound, has a knack for being in the right spot for rebounds, has strong defensive posture, and doesn't just say team first but has an advanced knowledge of the concept. Some of us believe she will be a bigger, stronger Kelly Farris with superior scoring skills from 12 feet in. We are blessed with this class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
(Just kidding) Geno could do what the KY men are doing this year. 2 five player units that play at full speed for a few minutes and then rest. Nobody worries about foul trouble.

Kentucky can get away with that because half those kids will only stay one year before moving on to the NBA.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I'm thinking...Katie Lou Samuelson - 6'3" F, Naphessa Collier - 6'1" - 6'2" G/F, De'Janae Boykin - 6'2" F...hmmmm, when was the last time that happen? Hmmm...Cash, Williams, Jones???? Worked out pretty good

Reaction Score
Stewie -- She gets 30. The best player in WCBB has to learn how to play with impact newcomers of which we expect at least two to be a big impact. The newcomers have to learn how to play with Stewie too. They can't learn if Stewie is on the bench. One of the top priorities to see how all the players fit with Stewie. Not how number 8 and 9 players on depth chart fit with one another.

Tuck - 25 . IMO Stewie and Tuck are locks. for these minutes.

MoJeff/Nurse - 50-55 minutes total. If either doesn't play as well - more minutes opportunities for the below (not above).

Butler/KLS --- 40-50 Heard too much about Butler. She is going to get every opportunity to show what she has. KLS is the number 1 high school recruit. There is no way the number 1 recruit gets just 10-12 minutes. She is getting near 20 up to 25.unles she flounders. I doubt 15. I think she'll be close to 25 but it could just as ealiy be 21 because of the many blowouts.

Gabby/Collier/Chong -- 35-45. One player can get 20 and one 10 and one 5.Or all three can get 15 totaling 45. Gabby and Collier are wildcards. If Gabby can shoot and dribble, same with Collier - they are rubbing heads with Butler and KLS. Hard to imagine they would overtake them but it is conceivable Butler/KLS get 46 minutes while Gabby/Collier get 40. Chong is a good player - will be upperclassman next year. The 8 aforementioned could be "great" players.

Boykin/Ekmark - 10 -whoever slips up from above -minutes will increase.
Wouldn't it be nice to see Ekmark get some gametime before you determine what kind of minutes she'll be getting NEXT year. You don't even know what kind of minutes she may or may not earn THIS year. If she's as wonderful a pure shooter as people say, she may earn a lot of time in Geno's rotations. I would be stunned if Collier and Samuelson don't earn a lot of minutes next year because Collier sounds like a mirror image of Morgan Tuck with the ability to do anything and everything on the court and do it well. We all know what we are likely to get from KML. People seem to feel that just because Breanna may be the best player in the country that she should be playing 35 minutes a game and I think that's nuts. Maybe in a specific game but why would you have her playing excessive minutes when there's nothing to be gained by it and it may give some needed minutes to players who will benefit from the experience of game situations? If Breanna and Moriah and Morgan are playing in the mid 20 minute range (on average) the extra minutes gained will help the team in the long run. They'll be fresher, we'll have more players ready if need be and everyone wins. I know some games these players will be required to get more minutes but in general, what's the problem??????

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be nice to see Ekmark get some gametime before you determine what kind of minutes she'll be getting NEXT year.

Yes it would be nice. Merry Christmas to you my friend.

You don't even know what kind of minutes she may or may not earn THIS year.

You’re right. But until I see it- how can I give her more minutes? My prediction of minutes is a harmless irrelevant myth. She was behind Nurse and Chong and is now behind Gabby right now, isn’t she? So why would I give her more minutes than these players now?

f she's as wonderful a pure shooter as people say, she may earn a lot of time in Geno's rotations.

Absolutely. Show me she is. Show me she can defend. She was behind Nurse and with all the time she has missed she is definitely behind Gabby and Chong. It’s a great thing about these boards I reserve the right to change my mind and no one gets hurt for my blunders.

I would be stunned if Collier and Samuelson don't earn a lot of minutes next year because Collier sounds like a mirror image of Morgan Tuck with the ability to do anything and everything on the court and do it well.

I’m not arguing here- just wondering how you foresee things. So who loses minutes if Collier gets big minutes? You think 15 minutes for Collier is an insult? You’ve compared her to Tuck. Tuck averaged 15.8 her frosh year. I said there are 3 players to get 35-45 minutes. So I’m leaving a big gap that it could be 15-20 for Collier thus I think it is possible she can get more than Tuck as a frosh.

As for KLS I said 15-25 minutes. I haven’t seen them play other than minor stuff but from what I’ve read – it seems to me both will be better than someone like CE. So I said KLS could see up to 25. Again I stated a big gap in my thought process and said it could be as low as 15 if she is “disappointing.” I say that because the same reason you gave me about CE- I’ve seen KLS very little. I suggested though I think she’ll be close to 25.

We all know what we are likely to get from KML.

KML won’t be here next year.

People seem to feel that just because Breanna may be the best player in the country that she should be playing 35 minutes a game and I think that's nuts.Maybe in a specific game but why would you have her playing excessive minutes when there's nothing to be gained by it and it may give some needed minutes to players who will benefit from the experience of game situations?

I agree -- no 35 minute average for Stewie. But I said 30 minutes. Did you think I said 35?

If Breanna and Moriah and Morgan are playing in the mid 20 minute range (on average) the extra minutes gained will help the team in the long run. They'll be fresher, we'll have more players ready if need be and everyone wins.

I think the greatest player in wcbb whom could be the greatest ever in UCONN History and among the greatest ever – to limit her to 25 minutes is extremely out of line. First off- I spoke of average for a season – so 30 minutes is an average. Thus several games she’s sees under that.

Secondly, I said Tuck gets 25- so I agree with you there. I’ve also said MoJeff and Nurse 50-55 so I don’t think you would have bothered to reply to me to me about a couple of extra minutes from these two. Thus it seems to me you have a problem with me giving Stewie – whom I feel may be among the greatest wcbb players ever in her senior year- 30 minutes instead of 25. And you think our younger kids won’t benefit with their confidence etc by playing with Stewie for just that extra 5 minutes? IMO they (players and the team) will be better in the long run learning to play with Stewart and thus they’ll learn where they’ll get open shots and defending etc playing alongside her.

Third, if/when UCONN gets challenged next year, the ball goes through Stewart. Thus every player whom Geno feels comfortable with must learn to play with Stewart. To give players their best chance to succeed chance – Stewie needs to play 30 minutes – not 25. What helps the team in the long run is to play with Stewart.

Fourth- this is strictly indirect – and maybe but don’t think giving one of the greatest ever players sees only 25 minutes a game her senior year is wise for future recruiting. Geno has said it is getting harder to recruit the type of kid he wants- imo this limits it even further but I don’t think this goes through his mind. I just brought it up as talking point. I believe Geno will give Stewie closer to 30 minutes because I think he believes that is the best way to make his team better in the long run.

I know some games these players will be required to get more minutes but in general, what's the problem??????

What problem is there? I didn’t say there was a problem. I don’t see it as a problem. I don’t see next year as a problem at all. I didn’t start the thread. Just made a prediction how the minutes will be dispersed. I hate to say this – because I don’t want to add bad karma --but injuries for any core player throws everything out the window.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be nice to see Ekmark get some gametime before you determine what kind of minutes she'll be getting NEXT year.

Yes it would be nice. Merry Christmas to you my friend.

You don't even know what kind of minutes she may or may not earn THIS year.

You’re right. But until I see it- how can I give her more minutes? My prediction of minutes is a harmless irrelevant myth. She was behind Nurse and Chong and is now behind Gabby right now, isn’t she? So why would I give her more minutes than these players now?

f she's as wonderful a pure shooter as people say, she may earn a lot of time in Geno's rotations.

Absolutely. Show me she is. Show me she can defend. She was behind Nurse and with all the time she has missed she is definitely behind Gabby and Chong. It’s a great thing about these boards I reserve the right to change my mind and no one gets hurt for my blunders.

I would be stunned if Collier and Samuelson don't earn a lot of minutes next year because Collier sounds like a mirror image of Morgan Tuck with the ability to do anything and everything on the court and do it well.

I’m not arguing here- just wondering how you foresee things. So who loses minutes if Collier gets big minutes? You think 15 minutes for Collier is an insult? You’ve compared her to Tuck. Tuck averaged 15.8 her frosh year. I said there are 3 players to get 35-45 minutes. So I’m leaving a big gap that it could be 15-20 for Collier thus I think it is possible she can get more than Tuck as a frosh.

As for KLS I said 15-25 minutes. I haven’t seen them play other than minor stuff but from what I’ve read – it seems to me both will be better than someone like CE. So I said KLS could see up to 25. Again I stated a big gap in my thought process and said it could be as low as 15 if she is “disappointing.” I say that because the same reason you gave me about CE- I’ve seen KLS very little. I suggested though I think she’ll be close to 25.

We all know what we are likely to get from KML.

KML won’t be here next year.

People seem to feel that just because Breanna may be the best player in the country that she should be playing 35 minutes a game and I think that's nuts.Maybe in a specific game but why would you have her playing excessive minutes when there's nothing to be gained by it and it may give some needed minutes to players who will benefit from the experience of game situations?

I agree -- no 35 minute average for Stewie. But I said 30 minutes. Did you think I said 35?

If Breanna and Moriah and Morgan are playing in the mid 20 minute range (on average) the extra minutes gained will help the team in the long run. They'll be fresher, we'll have more players ready if need be and everyone wins.

I think the greatest player in wcbb whom could be the greatest ever in UCONN History and among the greatest ever – to limit her to 25 minutes is extremely out of line. First off- I spoke of average for a season – so 30 minutes is an average. Thus several games she’s sees under that.

Secondly, I said Tuck gets 25- so I agree with you there. I’ve also said MoJeff and Nurse 50-55 so I don’t think you would have bothered to reply to me to me about a couple of extra minutes from these two. Thus it seems to me you have a problem with me giving Stewie – whom I feel may be among the greatest wcbb players ever in her senior year- 30 minutes instead of 25. And you think our younger kids won’t benefit with their confidence etc by playing with Stewie for just that extra 5 minutes? IMO they (players and the team) will be better in the long run learning to play with Stewart and thus they’ll learn where they’ll get open shots and defending etc playing alongside her.

Third, if/when UCONN gets challenged next year, the ball goes through Stewart. Thus every player whom Geno feels comfortable with must learn to play with Stewart. To give players their best chance to succeed chance – Stewie needs to play 30 minutes – not 25. What helps the team in the long run is to play with Stewart.

Fourth- this is strictly indirect – and maybe but don’t think giving one of the greatest ever players sees only 25 minutes a game her senior year is wise for future recruiting. Geno has said it is getting harder to recruit the type of kid he wants- imo this limits it even further but I don’t think this goes through his mind. I just brought it up as talking point. I believe Geno will give Stewie closer to 30 minutes because I think he believes that is the best way to make his team better in the long run.

I know some games these players will be required to get more minutes but in general, what's the problem??????

What problem is there? I didn’t say there was a problem. I don’t see it as a problem. I don’t see next year as a problem at all. I didn’t start the thread. Just made a prediction how the minutes will be dispersed. I hate to say this – because I don’t want to add bad karma --but injuries for any core player throws everything out the window.
I enjoyed your responses. Well done!

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="pvdoggy, post: 1174948, member: 3215"I have to think that Courtney will get a chance to shoot herself in or out of a spot on the main 8 players rotation.[/QUOTE]
I think you make an excellent point about CE. There is no team at any level who wouldn't love to have a player who can come off the bench when a quick injection of offensive adrenaline is needed and be able to quickly drain a few 3's, even if such a player lacks, in comparison to his or her teammates, other floor skills. Any such player will always earn some meaningful spot in the rotation. Of course, this puts a lot of pressure on Courtney, because "shooting herself in or out of a spot" appears to be her only really viable avenue for a breakthrough, given the meteoric rise of Nurse, Saniya's improved floor game, Mo's abundant skills, and Dangerfield waiting in the wings. If she is successful, as we all wish, she will get her minutes. I'm sure she understands this, but it would be hard to overestimate the pressure she faces.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno would love to have another player he's comfortable subbing in at any point in a game. Then he wouldn't necessarily have to put in players that have the flu, a sore or achy something, or just a plain old bad night. What a luxury to know there's another quality player available.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Napheesa's high school team plays tougher competition than De'Janae's team.

Napheesa is known for playing exceptionally hard. Think Maya.

Napheesa is a high percentage shooter from most spots on the floor, including the FT line.

Geno seemed to think that Napheesa was THE KEY recruit in 2015.

For these reasons, I think Napheesa will be more ready for playing time than De'Janae. I like both players and think both have AA potential. I think Napheesa is close to Lou and Asia Durr as the best in her class.
I'm surprised anyone is even debating this. Collier is a higher calibur recruit who can do it all. Boykin is a glue player and a hard worker who will do a lot of things that don't shot up on the stat sheet. Collier is more likely to see PT and make an impact like Tuck. Boykin more likely to see PT and make an impact like Williams. I'm not saying Boykin won't be terrific, but she's not in the same "league" as Collier.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I watched them all play in USA basketball last summer, Collier was really really impressive. KLS was great in the team competition but was injured for the 3x3. Boykin is very good, but not as polished as Collier, IMO.

Honestly, most programs would kill for even one of these recruits, and we are debating which one will sit the bench. We are very, very lucky.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I watched them all play in USA basketball last summer, Collier was really really impressive. KLS was great in the team competition but was injured for the 3x3. Boykin is very good, but not as polished as Collier, IMO.

Honestly, most programs would kill for even one of these recruits, and we are debating which one will sit the bench. We are very, very lucky.

Good for you. I always aim to learn from experts.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The U17 and 3x3 tourneys are still available on video.
Boykin is a glue player and a hard worker who will do a lot of things that don't shot up on the stat sheet. Collier is more likely to see PT and make an impact like Tuck. Boykin more likely to see PT and make an impact like Williams.

I don't quite get your comparisons, Eric. Are you basing those on minutes? Because while only 8 games in, Gabby's numbers are better than Tuck's as a frosh. I think Williams has a chance to be a very unique impact player.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="pvdoggy, post: 1174948, member: 3215"I have to think that Courtney will get a chance to shoot herself in or out of a spot on the main 8 players rotation.
There is no team at any level who wouldn't love to have a player who can come off the bench when a quick injection of offensive adrenaline is needed and be able to quickly drain a few 3's, even if such a player lacks, in comparison to his or her teammates, other floor skills. Any such player will always earn some meaningful spot in the rotation.

The problem is - she is playing for UCONN. There are players throughout the roster that are offensive weapons. Geno tends to go by practices as to whom he can trust and of course during games they'll have to produce. CE this year is behind the eight-ball. For offense if CE doesn't move up the chart he's not going to put her in for many minutes in a big game. He's going to ride with his offense that he has had his team practice over the course of the year. Overall he's not going to lose faith in players that have won a majority of their games by routs.

It's a great luxury to have. Further CE has a great opportunity- going against other great players - boy if she could find a niche within that- because shooting is so valued imo- she could rise up certainly. The great athletes need the great shooters as teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom