Traffic Jam For Playing Time Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Traffic Jam For Playing Time Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It will be competitive, but the roster construction appears like it will settle itself out. If the trends of the season hold then Gabby would likely be the favorite to slide into KML's spot in the starting lineup at least to begin the year.

I think the roster breaks down rather nicely with pairs of players that have some similar abilities and functions. So you either have one in the game or the other with of course some overlap, particuarly at the guard position.

Tucker/Butler
Williams/Collier
Stewart/Samuelson
Nurse/Ekmark
Jefferson/Chong

My guess is Boykins is the one of the 11 on the outside at least initially. She's a talented well rounded player, but not the type of player that is going to force her way into playing time.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
at this point, it is really hard to say who is going to start next year.

And there is no reason why any of the them could not start...eventually. it has to be sorted in practices AND..there is no telling how things will shake out, once games begin, especially against tough competition.

this year is a great example. Chong loses her starting job to a freshman

a senior loses her starting job to a redshirt soph.

so....there needs to be practice, and there needs to be a few games played I think - before starting assignments are solidified.

Who so I think will start? C'mon guys...you KNOW I can't think...I can barely get dressed in the morning...

ho ho ho

Reaction Score
Next season is going to be one of Geno's greatest challenges. He'll have an amazingly talented team (on paper on of UConn's most talented teams of all time) but how do you keep so many great players happy?
The way I see it, the starting 5 to start the season will be: Butler, Stewie, Tuck, Nurse and MoJeff with KLS, Chong, Gabby and Collier part of the main rotation and Ekmark and Boykin getting less min.
During the season I can see the starting 5 changing to have KLS instead of Butler. This team with Tuck, Stewie, KLS, Nurse and MoJeff will be very difficult to stop but will have challenges on defense and here come Butler, Gabby and Collier of the bench to fix that when needed.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure in my mind: based upon what we've seen so far, either Gabby starts, or is first off the bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I said contingent. Some players get going faster, others don't (witness tuck and MoJeff In their frosh years). And then there's necessity. Nurse HAS to play.
Gabby is also needed given the thin front line. But she has been brought along deliberately. Again with more depth, she probably would be coming along a bit more slowly.

I feel confident that Collier and likely KLS will be ready to play heavy minutes immediately.

Look at it this way: if a starting five of Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Butler, and Nurse average 140 minutes combined, possibly a conservative estimate, that would leave 60 for the six-player bench.

Stewart could be down to high 20s if there were more good players.

I don't think Stewart is being "forced" to play more minutes because UConn is short of quality players, but even if she were, a few extra minutes per game taken from her isn't going to change anything next year.

Reaction Score
I really don't see any reason that Stewart or Jefferson NEED to get over 30 minutes. It's not about what they want but what the team needs. If there is need to give some deserving kid some minutes out on the floor to keep them ready for contingency situations, then so be it. The idea that Sue had ONLY 27 minutes a game and all the other quality players on that team (Geno's best, it is said) had less suggests that it isn't some kind of horrific situation that players like MoJeff and Stewie could possible end up with less than 30. The same goes for Tuck. We're losing a couple of exceptional players this year and we're having 3 come in. Are all three going to be primed and ready to undertake a whole bunch of minutes. That's surely questionable. I don't think it'll be a major problem and if we were to have a devastating injury (hopefully not), than our depth would be a major plus. Why are we making something an issue when I doubt it's any issue with Geno & company?

We have 4 coming in when you include Butler who will see major minutes. Geno said she was a game changer!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think our starters are getting more minutes so far this year is that the team needs to get in synch more. Last year's team was more experienced at at a high level all year. This year's team has lots of room to grow. I can see Stewie playing less in blowouts next year.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why people are worrying over a non-issue. with more able players, Geno can afford to apply more aggressive strategy, playing pressing, he will be more able to foul and rattle the opponents, and the fresh legs can give opponents a run for their life and put the game away earlier. I do not think anybody will play more than 30 min, Stewie might play 25 min, other players might play more than 25 min in certain game, but average wise, nobody would. The starters will play a bit above 20 min while the bench players will play 15-20 min average wise.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Before we can move Gabby to the outside at either the 3 or even possibly the 2- she is going to have be draining a good % of outside shots from at least- if she can't, no one will have to go out there to guard her. If they don't have to go out there to guard her, her quick first step wont mean as much. Geno usually mixes the line up to have at least 4 scorers on the floor.
Mo Jeff, Nurse, Morgan are a sure thing- I think KLS will be our 3 for sure, and Butler when we need a traditional center, and Gabbie when we don't ---depending on the match ups each game!!! I hope Gabbie refines her outside skills and ball handling. One of my only concerns is that we only have 3 true guards - and I'm not sure that really changes next season. Gabbie would be the next obvious player to me to fill that role.

Reaction Score
We can look at playing time issues over the average of the entire season or break it down in terms of games that matter and games that are forgone conclusions. Geno will find a way to get most people happy on the later but he generally deploys a 6-8 person rotation on games that matter, of which there are only a handful prior to the NCAA tourney.
Stewie, MoJeff, Tuck , Butler, Nurse, Williams and possibly Chong will eat up almost all the minutes in games that matter. That is not to say we won't see the freshmen see some court time in those games but bank on Nurse, Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff averaging 30 or more> It will be interesting to see how Gabby and Butler split minutes. Given Gabby's incredible rebounding skills and all court presence , it would not surprise me if she started.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stewie might play 25 min, other players might play more than 25 min in certain game, but average wise, nobody would. The starters will play a bit above 20 min while the bench players will play 15-20 min average wise.

That would be a dramatic reduction in minutes for Nurse, Stewart and Jefferson. Butler played 36 per game at Georgetown. I just don't see those numbers as plausible.

Reaction Score
Stewie -- She gets 30. The best player in WCBB has to learn how to play with impact newcomers of which we expect at least two to be a big impact. The newcomers have to learn how to play with Stewie too. They can't learn if Stewie is on the bench. One of the top priorities to see how all the players fit with Stewie. Not how number 8 and 9 players on depth chart fit with one another.

Tuck - 25 . IMO Stewie and Tuck are locks. for these minutes.

MoJeff/Nurse - 50-55 minutes total. If either doesn't play as well - more minutes opportunities for the below (not above).

Butler/KLS --- 40-50 Heard too much about Butler. She is going to get every opportunity to show what she has. KLS is the number 1 high school recruit. There is no way the number 1 recruit gets just 10-12 minutes. She is getting near 20 up to 25.unles she flounders. I doubt 15. I think she'll be close to 25 but it could just as ealiy be 21 because of the many blowouts.

Gabby/Collier/Chong -- 35-45. One player can get 20 and one 10 and one 5.Or all three can get 15 totaling 45. Gabby and Collier are wildcards. If Gabby can shoot and dribble, same with Collier - they are rubbing heads with Butler and KLS. Hard to imagine they would overtake them but it is conceivable Butler/KLS get 46 minutes while Gabby/Collier get 40. Chong is a good player - will be upperclassman next year. The 8 aforementioned could be "great" players.

Boykin/Ekmark - 10 -whoever slips up from above -minutes will increase.

Reaction Score
We heard this before with this same topic yet Stewart and KML are averaging 31/game and Nurse 29 as a starter. Jefferson's minutes are actually down a bit. I'll be surprised if they don't approach last year's eventually.
With the level of talent coming in, I think Geno will want to give them a decent chunk of minutes but that doesn't necessarily translate into 25 minutes or more. Why would he want to or need to have Stewie and MoJeff on the court for 32 minutes or even more when he could give them a "little" more rest in order to integrate other players and have them ready if need be. Particularly in a multitude of games where we are on cruise control??? He would have an opportunity to really work a bunch of combinations of players and how would that not be better for the team. We talk about players sacrificing their individual stats for the good of the team and why would there be a need to keep Breanna and Moriah on the court for that length of time when the people that would replace them are exceptional players themselves. Don't you think that is a greater possibility of injury if a player is fatigued than if a player is well rested. There's absolutely no reason for players to be approaching 35 minutes a game while there is a fresh and capable person that could be playing and getting valuable game experience. I'm not suggesting that there isn't a specific game where they might not approach those minutes but why, on a regular basis, would you want to give them those minutes when there is nothing to be gained by it?????

Reaction Score
It's funny to see how some people in this thread basically writing off Courtney Ekmark. I don't know if she will ever become an impact player or anything, but here is a player that Geno has said to be one of the best shooter he has ever seen at any level, and she was actually getting pretty decent playing time before she got hurt. I have to think that Courtney will get a chance to shoot herself in or out of a spot on the main 8 players rotation. People tends to have short memory. I remembered lots of people here raving about CE last year, just like they are doing right now about KLS. I am not saying CE is at the same levelk as KLS, but just that people seems to be fascinated with newer toys.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The starting assignments don't necessarily matter that much as with CD in her senior year with limited minutes. Geno looks for a system that works best and sometimes that means his most explosive unit is formed when "bench" players come in, as with the big surges in the first half when Stokes and Chong come in.

Indeed, having the option to play extended pressure defense as UConn often did in the late 1990s through 2001 when the team had a more flush squad and could press like crazy, rack up the steals, and pump up the scores with easy lay-ups could be nice. The downside is as with KY, it only works some of the time so you shouldn't become too dependent on it or your "40 Minutes of Dread" turns into "40 Minutes and Dead." Also have a feeling that spending too much time in the press may increase injury risk, but it is great to have as an extra limited option.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Basically, there are three ways that this works out:
1. Players get injured, so other players get playing time. This year, EkMark, last year Tuck, KML.
2. Players transfer: e.g. Sadie Edwards
3. Players accept their fate, and play limited minutes for four years. It is difficult for me to think of any scholarship players who fit this category, but Tahirah Williams comes to mind.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Think about it...MilfordHuskey is right!

1st team
Morgan Tuck (5)
Brianna Stewart (4)
Katie Lou Samuelson (3)
Kia Nurse (2)
Moriah Jefferson (1)

2nd Team
Natalie Butler (5)
De'Janae Boykin (4)
Napheesa Collier (3)
Gabby Williams (2)
Saniya Chong (1)

Courtney Ekmark (2/3)
Tierney Lawlor (1/2)
Briana Pulido (1)

Reaction Score
Basically, there are three ways that this works out:
1. Players get injured, so other players get playing time. This year, EkMark, last year Tuck, KML.
2. Players transfer: e.g. Sadie Edwards
3. Players accept their fate, and play limited minutes for four years. It is difficult for me to think of any scholarship players who fit this category, but Tahirah Williams comes to mind.
Cassie kerns

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
People seem to see Collier having an easier road to minutes than DeJanae Boykin. I don't see it. First, all this future gazing is a little wobbly, but I see Collier's competition heavier than De'Janae's. How these kids adapt to the college game (at the highest level) will be critical, but off her USA experience I would not sell Boykin short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom