Towson postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Towson postgame thread

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if Adam Amin will watch the replay of the Huskies’ game. I’m pretty sure he missed it the first time.
He takes a lot of heat from this Board. Perhaps not all of it entirely undeserved. I think he perceives his role as a sort of minister of information for women’s college basketball. The games often seem incidental. They merely serve as the occasion for him to talk about the players, coaches, biographical information, rivalries, statistics, personal anecdotes, favorite jokes... just about anything. ...Which may all be fine from time to time. But he really should pay attention to the game every now and then. Tonight was especially bad. By midway through the second quarter, the game was just sort of going on while he was talking about WCBB as if sitting in a restaurant a thousand miles away. I finally turned it down and listened to the radio broadcast (almost synced up) which of course followed the game in every detail. Bob Joyce, once again, is just a terrific play-by-play guy.

Reaction Score
No attack but why would someone claiming to be a UConn fan want to run up a score? :confused:
In no way shape or form would that have any effect on the selection committee this year or in the future. I would simply think the goal would be is to make the final four, thus proving to the committee who should have been the four one seeds.
Running up the score is classless and serves no purpose what so ever at any level of sports. The 2's and some bench got time tonight that could prove way more valuable than running up the score down the road.
We have a world class program with a world class coaching staff. Again no attack on you or those that like your idea, simply not anything I would consider even remotely.
The problem with your second sentence is that the selection committee implied that it took margin of victory into account (among other things) in determining the top seeds.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the game:

• We can exhale. Lou survived. She wasn’t at her best, but I’ll take Lou at 75-80% any day.
  • Towson is an athletic team, and a good 1st round opponent in the Big Dance.
  • Nice balanced scoring effort by the starting 5. When everybody scores, UConn is very tough to beat.
  • I loved Christyn & Megan’s aggressiveness today. Let’s hope they play just like that for another 5 games.
  • Molly is putting a lot of pressure on herself by knocking down a 3 in every game. The crowd now expects it.

I agree with every point oldude makes about the game.

I was impressed by Towson's athletes. Wow. Both guards were Dangerfield-fast and skilled. The bigs were not as skilled as they needed to be but good athletes nonetheless. Good coaching. This is only Ms. Richardson's second year as head coach but she's no noob. Great future for program. I loved the announcer's details about her making the 1980 Olympic team as a sprinter and how she and her husband started an investment company which she abandoned to get back into coaching. Impressive lady.

Christyn blew me away. Her defense gets better every game and her shooting eye has returned. Megan's shooting eye has returned, as well.

I cannot get enough Mikayla or Batouley.

For a brief time when Olivia, Batouley, and Kyla were in the game at the same time, I realized how big that front line is which might be something to remember if we're getting pushed around by a bigger team in any coming games. I don't see too many bigs capable of overpowering Batouley and Kyla at the same time. Olivia got outmuscled by Towson's bigs - that should be a memory for her to draw on during those long hours in the weight room next summer. She needs some core and arm strength if she's going to become a dominant player.

I watched Lou carefully and I didn't see any outward signs of a sore back. She played carefully at first, as was to be expected, but she was playing like her old self by the time Geno sat her down. She really is a fabulous shooter. She could tear up the WNBA on the basis of her three point shooting alone if she gets into the right situation. I am a little surprised how long this last injury has lingered. Three weeks of recovery time is a lifetime to a 22 year-old tuned athlete unless it's a bone/cartilage/severe tissue damage injury. Just a thought.

I cannot wait for Sunday, 7 PM.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jesus. I guess I forgot that. That is really pretty remarkable. Would anyone--ANYONE!--have ever thought to predict in 2015-16 that freshman Naphesa Collier (more often than not, 7th off the bench, wasn't she?) would not only wind up UConn's 3rd all-time leading scorer, but would also pass Stewie for 4th all-time rebounds?!?
Stewie played with Morgan, Gabby, and Napheesa, who got a lot more f rebounds themselves

Reaction Score
Jesus. I guess I forgot that. That is really pretty remarkable. Would anyone--ANYONE!--have ever thought to predict in 2015-16 that freshman Naphesa Collier (more often than not, 7th off the bench, wasn't she?) would not only wind up UConn's 3rd all-time leading scorer, but would also pass Stewie for 4th all-time rebounds?!?
Mucho Gracias. Thanks. Just think to start LAST YEAR no one, at least me, would have thought Napheesa would be setting records or BREAKING records. The quiet assassin she has been called; she puts up 30 points and few realize it until they read the stats. I just saw a CT headline calling the starting 5 THE IRON FIVE --MOST of the year that was true. (Waterbury Republican American 19 Feb)

Reaction Score

I was impressed by Towson's athletes. Wow. Both guards were Dangerfield-fast and skilled. The bigs were not as skilled as they needed to be but good athletes nonetheless. Good coaching. This is only Ms. Richardson's second year as head coach but she's no noob. Great future for program. I loved the announcer's details about her making the 1980 Olympic team as a sprinter and how she and her husband started an investment company which she abandoned to get back into coaching. Impressive lady.

Christyn blew me away. Her defense gets better every game and her shooting eye has returned. Megan's shooting eye has returned, as well.

For a brief time when Olivia, Batouley, and Kyla were in the game at the same time, I realized how big that front line is which might be something to remember if we're getting pushed around by a bigger team in any coming games. I don't see too many bigs capable of overpowering Batouley and Kyla at the same time. Olivia got outmuscled by Towson's bigs - that should be a memory for her to draw on during those long hours in the weight room next summer. She needs some core and arm strength if she's going to become a dominant player.

I watched Lou carefully and I didn't see any outward signs of a sore back. She played carefully at first, as was to be expected, but she was playing like her old self by the time Geno sat her down. She really is a fabulous shooter. She could tear up the WNBA on the basis of her three point shooting alone if she gets into the right situation. I am a little surprised how long this last injury has lingered. Three weeks of recovery time is a lifetime to a 22 year-old tuned athlete unless it's a bone/cartilage/severe tissue damage injury. Just a thought.

Morgan Valley was an assistant there a few years back. One of the toughest, nicest, talented kids to coach Towson or play at UConn.

Reaction Score
Stewie also played 2 years with Steph and 3 years with Kiah Stokes, two pretty fair rebounders themselves.
Can't we just be pleased with Napheesa Collier about to break Uconn records with out justifying why another former teammate records will be broken?? I'm damn happy for PRECIOUS. I believe in the here and now --not that which is gone. Collier is here, now, let us cheer her accomplishments.

Reaction Score
No attack but why would someone claiming to be a UConn fan want to run up a score? :confused:
In no way shape or form would that have any effect on the selection committee this year or in the future. I would simply think the goal would be is to make the final four, thus proving to the committee who should have been the four one seeds.
Running up the score is classless and serves no purpose what so ever at any level of sports. The 2's and some bench got time tonight that could prove way more valuable than running up the score down the road.
We have a world class program with a world class coaching staff. Again no attack on you or those that like your idea, simply not anything I would consider even remotely.

I don't care one way or another about running up the score, but I will say this:

For the last 3 years, everyone in the sport has portrayed us as the villain, bad for the game, wants to see us lose, etc. The last two teams shrunk from that "villain" role and played meekly on the biggest stage against opponents with attitude. I wouldn't mind seeing this team embrace it, and frankly I think that kind of attitude change is necessary.

Reaction Score
Stewie played with Morgan, Gabby, and Napheesa, who got a lot more f rebounds themselves
True enough. And one might add that for Stewie's first two years, she shared rebounding duties with Steph. Of course, Phees did not get nearly the minutes her freshman year as did Stewie in hers. Phees also shared RB'ing duties with Gabby. But the point is well taken. Without a "true center" for her soph, junior and senior years, Phees was called upon to shoulder a heavy rebounding load. She did it.

Let's also acknowledge her durability--some of which can be credited to not only a combination of good luck, good genetics, and a committed work ethic, but also intelligent play (a smart player is perhaps less inclined to over-react or put themselves in a position to get injured). Don't have the stats in front of me. But did Phees ever miss a start or even come up limping, holding an elbow, shaking a hand, etc.? The shot to the mouth early in the UCF Conference Final is the first time I recall seeing her react to any kind of physical slight.

Reaction Score
5 THE IRON FIVE
Napheesa is really durable. Might be an interesting topic for a thread of its own: who is the most durable player in UConn history--as measured by . . . what? minutes played? consecutive starts? lack of minutes or games lost to illness or injury? I suspect Phees would be in that top 5 as well.

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if Adam Amin will watch the replay of the Huskies’ game. I’m pretty sure he missed it the first time.
And I think that he almost made it to half time before bringing up Arike. I plan to watch the replay to verify, but watching it live I think it was with less than a minute left in the half before he said her name.

Reaction Score
I think I was one of the most Anti-Stubble BY's but I think Geno is rocking the tailoired beard look with some 'silver fox' coloring? :)
View attachment 41234
Just hoping Geno makes a decision one way or another. In between look not his best.

Reaction Score
And I think that he almost made it to half time before bringing up Arike. I plan to watch the replay to verify, but watching it live I think it was with less than a minute left in the half before he said her name.
Seems like someone told Andy Landers he needed to wake up a bit on the halftime report. Still not adding much value but his voice varied an octave or two.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Towson did indeed have length and quickness. Jeter recorded 7 steals!

I thought the starting 5 looked good. The bench looked pretty good.

In particular, Phee was machine-like, and Squeaks was really squeakin'.

Like Geno says.................."I know what I'm going to get from Napheesa" every game. Collier is as regular and steady as a morning sunrise. It's getting to the point where she has a double-double by halftime. :D

Reflecting back at some of the comments and hopes of posters over the summer to now, I would say that Christyn has just about met the expectations of Geno and most UConn fans. She was very highly touted coming in. Geno said she was something special. She's proving him right. She's glad to be here, and wants to be coached. She wanted to play with Crystal, who has got to rub off on her in a positive way. I love her aggressiveness. She's not afraid to drive the lane. Her shot is finally beginning to fall consistently (and just in time). Just think how much better she'll be AFTER the holiday break next season. I expect to see her game blossom and rise her sophomore year as much as Megan's did. ;)

Speaking of Crystal, is she the consummate floor general or what? She knows what shes doing, seldom turns the ball over and is making it look easy. We're not seeing as many "no-look" passes this year, but I love her play and her leadership. Have you noticed, she's playing a lot of "injury free" minutes this year. She's fun to watch. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Get a razor and shave it off already!!!
I know right? At this point should we take up a collection and get him a subscription to Harry's or Dollar Shave Club?

Reaction Score
Reflecting back at some of the comments and hopes of posters over the summer to now, I would say that Christyn has just about met the expectations of Geno and most UConn fans. She was very highly touted coming in. Geno said she was something special. She's proving him right. She's glad to be here, and wants to be coached. She wanted to play with Crystal, who has got to rub off on her in a positive way. I love her aggressiveness. She's not afraid to drive the lane. Her shot is finally beginning to fall consistently (and just in time). Just think how much better she'll be AFTER the holiday break next season. I expect to see her game rise her sophomore year as much as Megan's did. ;)

Speaking of Crystal, is she the consummate floor general or what? She knows what shes doing, seldom turns the ball over and is making it look easy. We're not seeing as many "no-look" passes this year, but I love her play and her leadership. Have you noticed, she's playing a lot of "injury free" minutes this year. She's fun to watch. :D
I agree. When a talented kid is both confident and unselfish, all they need is for the coach to tell them point blank he needs them to go out and get us 20 a night for us to win games and they're off and running. The only thing holding her back right now is her respect for the older kids. She'll take more control next year.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Welcome to the club!!! :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
No time to go to sleep on anyone. If it weren't for the fact that it's Tourney-TIme, Sunday would be a classic trap game. Buffalo has talent; and like every other team that reaches the second round, it has confidence.

Lots of things went right early today. Towson got a lot of good looks early and really outhustled us for the first half of the first quarter. But their shots weren't going in. And ours were (which can happen). You could see Towson losing just a bit of heart as our 3pt shots dropped and the lead stretched from 9 to 13 to 18. And before you knew it, the rout was on.

...........before the seats were warm. UConn came out hot, and jumped all over Towson from the tip without let-up. Geno pulled Lou for good (ONO) with 4:51 left in the 3rd qtr. He's going to need her for Sunday.

Reaction Score
Seems like someone told Andy Landers he needed to wake up a bit on the halftime report. Still not adding much value but his voice varied an octave or two.
Well, he was on the games all day yesterday, I think, up until late at night. There's got to be a ton of prep. And just having to be "on" and available for so many hours of the day can wear anyone down. And, Christ; he's in his late 60s! Let's cut him some slack. Andy is knowledable, appreciates excellence, and is a good counterpoint--stylistically and substantively--to pretty much everyone who ends up on the panel. I like his laconic affect. And he loves Vic. Good enough for me.

Reaction Score
-If CW looks for her shots, we're a completely different team

-Towson tried a bit of mugging early on ...the refs called it, and it didn't effect the game
Quality officiating.
This is a key point. With CW looking for her shot we really are a much much stronger team. I told my wife as we watched this game the Notre Dame Williams was back. This is one of the positives of the team learning to cope with the loss and perhaps abbreviated schedule for Lou. Very helpful for her development. I also thought Megan Walker looked superb throughout the game. Increasingly I see a fluidity in her offensive game as her confidence continues to grow. Her defense is really amazing as she continues to bang against much bigger players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom