Towson postgame thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Towson postgame thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a key point. With CW looking for her shot we really are a much much stronger team. I told my wife as we watched this game the Notre Dame Williams was back. This is one of the positives of the team learning to cope with the loss and perhaps abbreviated schedule for Lou. Very helpful for her development. I also thought Megan Walker looked superb throughout the game. Increasingly I see a fluidity in her offensive game as her confidence continues to grow. Her defense is really amazing as she continues to bang against much bigger players.
Agreed. Megan was also looking for her shot, so ditto your comment.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Crystal, is she the consummate floor general or what? She knows what shes doing, seldom turns the ball over and is making it look easy. We're not seeing as many "no-look" passes this year, but I love her play and her leadership. Have you noticed, she's playing a lot of "injury free" minutes this year. She's fun to watch. :D
Yes.
Agreed.
Me, too.
Good point (forgot she lost a lot of time last year due to the shin splints).
Another good point!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Re: A. Amin: I believe most non-UConn and UConn non-superfans appreciated his words about the Towson coach. It was all new to me. One of the best parts of the tournaments is learning the backstories of participants you're not familiar with, and c'mon, it was a blowout.

One observation on the beginning of the game. UConn got a lot of friendly bounces in the early going. Wouldn't be surprised if this gave the players confidence and led to a big scoring run to start the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a key point. With CW looking for her shot we really are a much much stronger team. I told my wife as we watched this game the Notre Dame Williams was back. This is one of the positives of the team learning to cope with the loss and perhaps abbreviated schedule for Lou. Very helpful for her development. I also thought Megan Walker looked superb throughout the game. Increasingly I see a fluidity in her offensive game as her confidence continues to grow. Her defense is really amazing as she continues to bang against much bigger players.
Megan has done some impressive defensive work in the paint. She’s so strong she can body post players out to a spot where they’re not quite comfortable shooting. She’s not wide but Meg has learned to take up space in the pain, too. It’s hard and unappreciated work but I see you, Megan Walker!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He takes a lot of heat from this Board. Perhaps not all of it entirely undeserved. I think he perceives his role as a sort of minister of information for women’s college basketball. The games often seem incidental. They merely serve as the occasion for him to talk about the players, coaches, biographical information, rivalries, statistics, personal anecdotes, favorite jokes... just about anything. ...Which may all be fine from time to time. But he really should pay attention to the game every now and then. Tonight was especially bad. By midway through the second quarter, the game was just sort of going on while he was talking about WCBB as if sitting in a restaurant a thousand miles away. I finally turned it down and listened to the radio broadcast (almost synced up) which of course followed the game in every detail. Bob Joyce, once again, is just a terrific play-by-play guy.
I think people often equate this issue to WCBB crews when unfortunately this is the template for ALL announcing crews across all sports. It traces back to Howard Cosell and Dandy Don in the MNF booth, and Bob Ueker and Tim McCarver in baseball, and ALL of the Olympic broadcasting teams over the last 50 years it seems. The idea that announcing is 'entertainment' rather than enhancement of the picture being broadcast.

What may make it stand out more, especially for Uconn WCBB broadcasts is how consistently over the years they have dominated the score and their opponents from the tip. While Uconn fans still want to watch the games, the producers and announcers have the mistaken belief that they can make a blow-out win more compelling for a casual fan by filling the airwaves with drivel. It annoys the fans and doesn't keep the none fans from flipping channels or turning the TV/Streaming off.

Reaction Score
I think people often equate this issue to WCBB crews when unfortunately this is the template for ALL announcing crews across all sports. It traces back to Howard Cosell and Dandy Don in the MNF booth, and Bob Ueker and Tim McCarver in baseball, and ALL of the Olympic broadcasting teams over the last 50 years it seems. The idea that announcing is 'entertainment' rather than enhancement of the picture being broadcast.

What may make it stand out more, especially for Uconn WCBB broadcasts is how consistently over the years they have dominated the score and their opponents from the tip. While Uconn fans still want to watch the games, the producers and announcers have the mistaken belief that they can make a blow-out win more compelling for a casual fan by filling the airwaves with drivel. It annoys the fans and doesn't keep the none fans from flipping channels or turning the TV/Streaming off.

Well, I think I see where you are going here; and I generally agree (with all the usual qualifications and reservations). Hard to generalize. I mean, Vin Scully was telling stories during the doldrums of summer long before Cosell took to the air on MNF. Old baseball radio broadcasts were a mixed bag. Actions sports--hockey and BB--have pretty much always featured just terrific on air talent. But yeah; as the entire affair became increasingly commodified, the form began to coalesce around certain practices with an eye toward maximum marketability, or minimally, securing attention time (which is really what the advertisers are buying). I am sure most will agree that even within the constraints of the form, a good play-by-play guy or gal can follow the game while also engaging in the other banter and storytelling. (Eric and Megan are a good example.) The best will accomplish both, and do so in a manner that synthesizes past with present, the particular with the general.

As for Cosell, I admired what he did for Ali. And he was an ok boxing announcer (give me Don Dunphy). But he disparaged ex-athlete announcers (as if those who played the game had little of interest to offer). I can think of dozens of NFL announcers I prefer. McCarver, like many catchers, was always knowledgable and a good storyteller. I won't speak to later in his broadcasting career. But his days as a Mets broadcaster were great.

Reaction Score

You mentioned McCarver, Meredith, Cosell, etc. They were adept analysts who were hired to analyze & entertain while Gifford, Buck, & Gowdy did the play- by- play. Kara Lawson is very skilled at analysis & commentary, but Amin insists on joining her & talking over her instead of calling the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well, I think I see where you are going here; and I generally agree (with all the usual qualifications and reservations). Hard to generalize. I mean, Vin Scully was telling stories during the doldrums of summer long before Cosell took to the air on MNF. Old baseball radio broadcasts were a mixed bag. Actions sports--hockey and BB--have pretty much always featured just terrific on air talent. But yeah; as the entire affair became increasingly commodified, the form began to coalesce around certain practices with an eye toward maximum marketability, or minimally, securing attention time (which is really what the advertisers are buying). I am sure most will agree that even within the constraints of the form, a good play-by-play guy or gal can follow the game while also engaging in the other banter and storytelling. (Eric and Megan are a good example.) The best will accomplish both, and do so in a manner that synthesizes past with present, the particular with the general.

As for Cosell, I admired what he did for Ali. And he was an ok boxing announcer (give me Don Dunphy). But he disparaged ex-athlete announcers (as if those who played the game had little of interest to offer). I can think of dozens of NFL announcers I prefer. McCarver, like many catchers, was always knowledgeable and a good storyteller. I won't speak to later in his broadcasting career. But his days as a Mets broadcaster were great.

Living in the Los Angels metropolitan area most of my life, I had the pleasure of listening to Vin Scully call Dodgers games since they moved here for the 1958 season, until his recent retirement. Vinny was THE best!!! Vinny was beloved by all of the players and managers in baseball. He knew the game, had perfected the art of calling a game, knew how to interview people, and had the respect and admiration of all that new him.

He never put an interviewee on the spot, or asked them leading questions. He asked players questions of interest to the general baseball fan. He always left the hard or inquisitive questions for someone else. Players like Eddie Murray, Frank Robinson, and notable others that almost refused to be interviewed, would speak to Vin. The great broadcasters of our time were/are masters of their craft.

Howard Cosell was a lawyer before becoming a sports announcer. He was very polarizing. You either loved him or you hated him. I found him amusing. When you think of the words honesty, straight from the shoulder, and tell it like it is, you think of one man: Howard Cosell. Howard is best remembered as the greatest sportscaster in the history of sports. His way with words and ability of telling like it was, brought him fame not only in America, but all over the world. Perhaps, no one will ever forget the memorable moments that he and Muhammad Ali spent together.

How they made fun of each other and played with each other are legendary. There was only one Howard Cosell. He was very charismatic. I liked him on Monday Night Football with Dandy Don Merridith, who was folksy. Every week he would serenade the audience of his rendition of “Turn out the lights” once the game had been decided.

I'll always remember the time Cosell told Muhammad Ali during a post-fight interview that he was "extremely truculent" (Cosell liked to use BIG words to impress others of his vast vocabulary). Ali's response: "I don't know what that is, but if it's good, I'm that too". :confused: It wasn't good. The man definitely had his own style. I miss Cosell. :( Funny thing.

Somehow I knew when I was watching Cosell, I was watching a legend. Just like I knew when I went to the ballpark, and saw Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Roberto Clemente, Warren Spahn, Ernie Banks, Henry Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Johnny Bench, et al, I was watching legends (most of them during their prime). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
since they moved here for the 1958 season
Damn! How old are you?

Kidding!

I am like-minded about Cosell. A lot to admire. Perhaps the first public personality to call Ali Ali. He comes across as rather self-important in the double-enendre'd "I Never Played The Game." Married once, for 46 years. That tells you something.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think Vin Scully was the greatest baseball play-by-play man there ever was, followed by Jack Buck of the Cardinals.

Buck took a lick off of his veneer when in the days he was put on national TV he started calling the play before it happened. Beyond that, he was an all-time great.

Reaction Score
Damn! How old are you?

Kidding!

I am like-minded about Cosell. A lot to admire. Perhaps the first public personality to call Ali Ali. He comes across as rather self-important in the double-enendre'd "I Never Played The Game." Married once, for 46 years. That tells you something.
His wife must have been deaf.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Damn! How old are you?

Kidding!

I know how old “Oldude” is. I’m older than him. :cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

This post earns an honorary degree from this retired prof. Much of what we detest from announcers is actually ordained and prescribed by the producers. Especially on TV (as opposed to audio-only media), announcers get ongoing and in-game instructions from the director through a ‘bug” or IFB stuck in their ears. This can be helpful to the announcer, or it can easily become a pain in the rear.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This post earns an honorary degree from this retired prof. Much of what we detest from announcers is actually ordained and prescribed by the producers. Especially on TV (as opposed to audio-only media), announcers get ongoing and in-game instructions from the director through a ‘bug” or IFB stuck in their ears. This can be helpful to the announcer, or it can easily become a pain in the rear.
After I learned of the "bug" years ago, I've always assumed that the awkward pauses, often in mid-sentence, were owing to that. There was a glaring example of it in the first game of the AAC tournament. The guy stopped in mid-sentence after a verb ("exposed") and never got back to it. Left us hanging.

I find it both distracting and detracting--it breaks up the rhythm and flow that (I assume) the speaker is trying to achieve. A necessary evil I guess. And a first-world problem! :confused:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
@Scoop: One more point on Vin. He also had tremendous command of the language. He was less likely to use "truculent" than Howard, but whatever word he chose, it sounded natural, never stilted.

Carnac

Reaction Score
@Scoop: One more point on Vin. He also had tremendous command of the language. He was less likely to use "truculent" than Howard, but whatever word he chose, it sounded natural, never stilted.

Touche' Gus. ;)

Reaction Score
I think Vin Scully was the greatest baseball play-by-play man there ever was, followed by Jack Buck of the Cardinals.
I listened to Buck over the years. He was too much of a homer for me. I'll take Bob Murphy over anyone--even Scully.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I listened to Buck over the years. He was too much of a homer for me. I'll take Bob Murphy over anyone--even Scully.
I'm afraid I don't know of that gentleman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom