Attachments

• IMG_6288.JPG
    IMG_6288.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The Winsted tornado missed my in-laws' house by about 100 yards.
The path looks like it missed my childhood home by one lot. The tornado ran parallel to Wallens St where I grew up.

Reaction Score
At this point I don't really care if they're right or wrong I just want power back. They're saying Sunday now for Brookfield & Danbury

Power was restored in Beacon Falls Thursday at around 5:00 PM. XFInity TV and WiFi yesterday at around the same time:)

Reaction Score
The path looks like it missed my childhood home by one lot. The tornado ran parallel to Wallens St where I grew up.
As long as we are still on the subject of Northeast tornadoes, two weeks from now is the 65th anniversary of the infamous 1953 Worcester tornado that killed 100 people and injured over one thousand. As far as I know it is the only New England twister to ever reach F4 and F5 intensity.

1953 Worcester tornado - Wikipedia

06_09.1_1953.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Drone view of Sleeping Giant in Hamden:

I was less than a mile from Sleeping Giant on Route 10 in Hamden when I got the tornado warnings. I was in bumper to bumper traffic and had nowhere to go - it was the most terrifying 5-10 minutes of my life. I was trapped on a stretch of route 10 for almost 4 hours and didn't get home from work - about a 13 mile commute - until 9:00 pm.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As long as we are still on the subject of Northeast tornadoes, two weeks from now is the 65th anniversary of the infamous 1953 Worcester tornado that killed 100 people and injured over one thousand. As far as I know it is the only New England twister to ever reach F4 and F5 intensity.
The 1979 Windsor Locks tornado

Reaction Score
I remember that storm, thought they originally rated it F3, Wikpedia says F4. Also remember it occurred in the fall which is rare.

Forget what the NWS said about it. We all want to know what YOU think it was.

Reaction Score
Forget what the NWS said about it. We all want to know what YOU think it was.
I think it was, well a humid updraft with lots of latent heat, and with an adiabatic lapse rate of about -1.3 degrees F per every 1000 ft of rise, along with a little wind shear mixed in and the Coriolis Force to impart spin. :)

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hit us pretty hard in Beacon Falls. Many downed trees and power lines. Traffic jams for hours. Saw telephone polls on fire. Cars crushed by trees. My windows on my porch got blown out and put a hole in the wall. I've been in CT a long time and never experienced anything like this. It's like the Twilight zone! My wife and sister couldn't get home but we found a restaurant with a generator. A couple of Vodka Martini's, Shrimp cocktail and a killer lobster roll saved the evening! We probably won't have power for a week. The View attachment 31404 Boneyard helps pass the time a little. Hope everyone out there who went through this stressful experience is okay!
There’s a CVS in that cow town? I grew up there, LOL

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

1953 Worcester tornado - Wikipedia

View attachment 31490
Wow, that was intense. My grandmother lived in Bantam and was hit by the tornado that ripped through in 1989. I remember a gas tank from a gas station being ripped out of the ground. My grandmother's street was closed to traffic by the national guard for several days.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was intense. My grandmother lived in Bantam and was hit by the tornado that ripped through in 1989. I remember a gas tank from a gas station being ripped out of the ground. My grandmother's street was closed to traffic by the national guard for several days.[/QUOTEI drove underneath that 1989 tornado just before it touched down finally on the Hamden/New Haven border. Sky was black and purple and you didn't hear a single bird or insect. Quite eerie.

Reaction Score
Hit us pretty hard in Beacon Falls. Many downed trees and power lines. Traffic jams for hours. Saw telephone polls on fire. Cars crushed by trees. My windows on my porch got blown out and put a hole in the wall. I've been in CT a long time and never experienced anything like this. It's like the Twilight zone! My wife and sister couldn't get home but we found a restaurant with a generator. A couple of Vodka Martini's, Shrimp cocktail and a killer lobster roll saved the evening! We probably won't have power for a week. The View attachment 31404 Boneyard helps pass the time a little. Hope everyone out there who went through this stressful experience is okay!

I remember the 1979 Windsor Locks tornado. My ex girlfriend asked me to get her 2 boys from Poquonock School since she was in a meeting. I did and it was about 10 minutes late the tornado hit the school..

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow, that was intense. My grandmother lived in Bantam and was hit by the tornado that ripped through in 1989. I remember a gas tank from a gas station being ripped out of the ground. My grandmother's street was closed to traffic by the national guard for several days.
It's an absolute miracle nobody died in Bantam and Hamden, both towns were destroyed.
Watch "1989 Connecticut Tornado Outbreak 7/11/89 WVIT Connecticut News" on YouTube

Reaction Score
1989 had an F4.
I remember that storm before it hit you could cut the air with a knife it was so thick. Dew points in the mid 70's, so lots of potential energy. The Hamden part of it was a weak F4 with peak winds of about 190 mph. The other parts if the storm were F3. For Connecticut though incredible destruction. Also there was never any clearly defined funnel, as it was masked by heavy rain.

Reaction Score
I was less than a mile from Sleeping Giant on Route 10 in Hamden when I got the tornado warnings. I was in bumper to bumper traffic and had nowhere to go - it was the most terrifying 5-10 minutes of my life. I was trapped on a stretch of route 10 for almost 4 hours and didn't get home from work - about a 13 mile commute - until 9:00 pm.
My wife was stuck in Sheppard avenue in Hamden. Didn't get home till 1045pm. That road looks like s war zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom