Tornado | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tornado

Reaction Score
Macroburst had the same strength wind force as the confirmed EF-1 just no rotation... tornados are known to jump long distances between ground contact.

Fatalities have nothing to do w/ strength/name of storm (tornado v. macroburst). Falling tree limbs happen in tropical/sub-tropical storm force wind as well.

Northern Hamden is a devastated.
Doesn't jive, and I majored in meteorology my freshman year then switched majors. Macrobursts occur in the back of the storm where the main downdraft is, tornadoes almost always occurr upfront in the front of the storm where the wall cloud or shelf cloud is, and most importantly where the air is rising in a violent updraft. We got the heavy winds in Brookfield right away as the storm approached. But I will admit it's possible it skipped along.

Reaction Score
Doesn't jive, and I majored in meteorology my freshman year then switched majors. Macrobursts occur in the back of the storm where the main downdraft is, tornadoes almost always occurr upfront in the front of the storm where the wall cloud or shelf cloud is, and most importantly where the air is rising in a violent updraft. We got the heavy winds in Brookfield right away as the storm approached. But I will admit it's possible it skipped along.

Tbe macroburst was stronger than the Southbury/Oxford EF-1 (100mph):

Reaction Score
Tbe macroburst was stronger than the Southbury/Oxford EF-1 (100mph):

Anything's possible I guess. I'm not saying the NWS is wrong, OMG are they ever wrong? I am questioning their conclusions with some evidence pointing to the contrary. A macroburst of 110mph is extremely rare first of all, though you do see them in places like India at the very beginning of the monsoon season, and the bigger the macroburst is the more likely the storm would choke itself off and deprive itself of the fuel it needs to keep going. I just don't buy a tornadic thunderstorm over Patterson NY, changes gears over Brookfield and Danbury and turns into an air mass type storm with a massive macroburst, and then changes gears again back into a rotating supercell the next town over. Hey who am I to accuse the NWS of being wrong. God forbid. Lol

Reaction Score
I am questioning their conclusions with some evidence pointing to the contrary. A macroburst of 110mph is extremely rare first of all, though you do see them in places like India at the very beginning of the monsoon season, and the bigger the macroburst is the more likely the storm would choke itself off and deprive itself of the fuel it needs to keep going.

NWS Storm Surveys May 16, 2018

>>...NWS METEOROLOGISTS SURVEYED STORM DAMAGE NEAR BROOKFIELD IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY CONNECTICUT...

The National Weather Service office in New York NY has completed a preliminary survey for the area near Brookfield in Fairfield County Connecticut. The survey is in relation to the severe thunderstorms that moved through the area on May 15 2018.

It has been determined that a macroburst with maximum wind speeds of 100-110 mph impacted a swath of about two and a half miles in width and five miles in length in Brookfield area. Macrobursts can produce as much if not more damage as tornadoes due to the size and scope of a macroburst.

The worst damage was from the Candlewood Shores area, extending east across Route 7, just north of Senior High School, to Lake Lillinonah. Numerous trees were uprooted and snapped.

A final assessment including results of other surveys being conducted today is expected to be completed and transmitted via a Public Information Statement this afternoon. The storm survey information will also be available on our website at National Weather Service<<

Add: (How frequently do downbursts occur? Downbursts are much more frequent than tornadoes - in fact, for every 1 tornado there are approximately 10 downburst damage reports)

Reaction Score
NWS Storm Surveys May 16, 2018

>>...NWS METEOROLOGISTS SURVEYED STORM DAMAGE NEAR BROOKFIELD IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY CONNECTICUT...

The National Weather Service office in New York NY has completed a preliminary survey for the area near Brookfield in Fairfield County Connecticut. The survey is in relation to the severe thunderstorms that moved through the area on May 15 2018.

It has been determined that a macroburst with maximum wind speeds of 100-110 mph impacted a swath of about two and a half miles in width and five miles in length in Brookfield area. Macrobursts can produce as much if not more damage as tornadoes due to the size and scope of a macroburst.

The worst damage was from the Candlewood Shores area, extending east across Route 7, just north of Senior High School, to Lake Lillinonah. Numerous trees were uprooted and snapped.

A final assessment including results of other surveys being conducted today is expected to be completed and transmitted via a Public Information Statement this afternoon. The storm survey information will also be available on our website at National Weather Service<<

Add: (How frequently do downbursts occur? Downbursts are much more frequent than tornadoes - in fact, for every 1 tornado there are approximately 10 downburst damage reports)

Understand something medic, macrobursts or downbursts occur in ALL thunderstorms, they are not just more frequent than tornadoes, they occur in every T-storm. What is extremely rare, if in fact the Brookfield damage was caused by one, is the wind speed in this particular macroburst of 110 mph. Your average severe thunderstorm macroburst is around 50 or 60 mph, but in an average T-storm not reaching severe intensity you can have a macroburst of only 30 mph. Also the only sure way to determine if the Brookfield high winds were tornadic in nature or were straight line thunderstorm winds is if anyone in Brookfield by chance had a working microbarograph on their mantle, the barographs trace of the storms passage would instantly show whether or not the winds were tornadic or part of a macroburst.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Understand something medic, macrobursts or downbursts occur in ALL thunderstorms, they are not just more frequent than tornadoes, they occur in every T-storm. What is extremely rare, if in fact the Brookfield damage was caused by one, is the wind speed in this particular macroburst of 110 mph. Also the only sure way to determine if the Brookfield high winds were tornadic in nature or were straight line thunderstorm winds is if anyone in Brookfield by chance had a working microbarograph on their mantle, the barographs trace of the storms passage would instantly show whether or not the winds were tornadic or part of a macroburst.

LOL... did you even read the link above??

I'm done... you can believe it was a tornado.

Reaction Score

I'm done... you can believe it was a tornado.
No... didn't have to, and I don't think it was a tornado as I have said, just not sure. What I have said is I think the NWS was too quick to rule it was not a tornado. There is evidence to the contrary. That's all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm done... you can believe it was a tornado. Here ya go.

View attachment 31427
Just stop it.... you're in way over your head on this one smart guy. Your web research skills are impressive but you have no clue on the cloud physics of a thunderstorm. If you're so smart then tell me why a microbarograph trace would have instantly answered our question of a tornado vs a macroburst.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I should believe huskyrob or the national weather service. I'm sure the NWS has an anti-tornado agenda so I'm leaning towards Rob.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I should believe huskyrob or the national weather service. I'm sure the NWS has an anti-tornado agenda so I'm leaning towards Rob.
No you should believe them, after all they are always right.

Reaction Score
Just stop it.... you're in way over your head on this one smart guy. Your web research skills are impressive but you have no clue on the cloud physics of a thunderstorm. If you're so smart then tell me why a microbarograph trace would have instantly answered our question of a tornado vs a macroburst.

... and to think I deleted the Junior Meteorologist badge I posted because I felt bad after I posted it.

I’m not that smart but I’ve sat through more NWS/FEMA/EmergOps post incident debriefings in the last decade than I can count Flipper. Cloud physics of a thunderstorm... LMAO.

Reaction Score
... and to think I deleted the Junior Meteorologist badge I posted because I felt bad after I posted it.

I’m not that smart but I’ve sat through more NWS/FEMA post incident debriefings in the last decade than I can count Flipper. Cloud physics of a thunderstorm... LMAO.
Answer my question genius. LMAO

Reaction Score
At this point I don't really care if they're right or wrong I just want power back. They're saying Sunday now for Brookfield & Danbury
I picked up a large Chinese order at 4 Corners yesterday, so they're making progress. Lol

Reaction Score
See, in real life I rely on subject matter experts, not some guy who took a semester of classes 30+ years ago. I’d make a call but they are all kinda busy right now.
You were right the first time, 40+. Lol

Reaction Score
I picked up a large Chinese order at 4 Corners yesterday, so they're making progress. Lol
They've done a surprisingly good job cleaning up the roads. It looks like half of federal Rd has power too

Reaction Score
See, in real life I rely on subject matter experts, not some guy who took a semester of classes 30+ years ago. I’d make a call but they are all kinda busy right now.

Freshman year he probably took general studies classes like English and Math.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At this point I don't really care if they're right or wrong I just want power back. They're saying Sunday now for Brookfield & Danbury
That would be my response. I mean does insurance pay out more or less based on the NWS classification? Does Eversource attend to tornado sites before macro-bursts?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That awkward moment when you hook the generator up this morning at 9am, spend the day filling up four 5 Gallon containers of gas because Eversource said power wouldn’t be back until Sunday and wondering if you should put a sign at the mailbox letting neighbors know they can plug in their phones if they need to.

But deep down feeling a little pride that at around 8pm you’re $3500 investment will make your house the North Star of the neighborhood.

Only to have a neighbor you’ve spoken 5 words to in the past 10 years call your cell at 8:40 and ask “Is that your generator running?” When you respond yes he asks if you’re home. At this point I think he’s going to ask if he can put food in my freezer or some like that.

He then proceeds to say “We’ve had power since 11am, can you turn it off because my Grandson can’t fall asleep with the noise.”

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom