Tornado | The Boneyard

Tornado

Reaction Score
Hit us pretty hard in Beacon Falls. Many downed trees and power lines. Traffic jams for hours. Saw telephone polls on fire. Cars crushed by trees. My windows on my porch got blown out and put a hole in the wall. I've been in CT a long time and never experienced anything like this. It's like the Twilight zone! My wife and sister couldn't get home but we found a restaurant with a generator. A couple of Vodka Martini's, Shrimp cocktail and a killer lobster roll saved the evening! We probably won't have power for a week. The
IMG_1838.JPG
Boneyard helps pass the time a little. Hope everyone out there who went through this stressful experience is okay!

Reaction Score
We had that last year while I was at work in Groton. Not a tornado but a microburst. It did all of the above.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Looks like the western part of the state got it harder than us. It was pretty rough for about a half hour, but basically amounted to a bad thunderstorm.

Nothing compared to the Summer of 1998.

Reaction Score
Town of Brookfield is a disaster area, trees and wires down everywhere, houses crushed, won't get power back for a long time.
Brookfield and the Brookfield/Danbury line must have got the worst of it. I've never seen it this bad

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
North Madison...I had rushed home to beat whatever was coming. Seasoned up some chicken and started grilling. With 4 minutes of cooking time left Mother Nature screamed in her Amityville Horror voice..."GET OUT!!!"

I had seconds to turn off the burners. Flip my meat onto a plate. Shut the cover and scramble to the house.

A wow/wtf moment.

No power loss or damage, tho.

Reaction Score
Hit us pretty hard in Beacon Falls. Many downed trees and power lines. Traffic jams for hours. Saw telephone polls on fire. Cars crushed by trees. My windows on my porch got blown out and put a hole in the wall. I've been in CT a long time and never experienced anything like this. It's like the Twilight zone! My wife and sister couldn't get home but we found a restaurant with a generator. A couple of Vodka Martini's, Shrimp cocktail and a killer lobster roll saved the evening! We probably won't have power for a week. The View attachment 31404 Boneyard helps pass the time a little. Hope everyone out there who went through this stressful experience is okay!
Thankfully you were not hurt.

Reaction Score
Brookfield and the Brookfield/Danbury line must have got the worst of it. I've never seen it this bad
I was watching the live weather radar right before it hit, and could see two hook echoes, one over the very northwestern part of the state close to the NY and MA borders and another just coming into Sherman, New Fairfield and Brookfield. It turned black as night, but clouds though dark had an erie green color. The roar of the wind was incredible.

Also heard Southbury got slammed as well by tornado like winds

Two people confirmed dead, one in New Fairfield and one in Danbury.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was watching the live weather radar right before it hit, and could see two hook echoes, one over the very northwestern part of the state close to the NY and MA borders and another just coming into Sherman and Brookfield. It turned black as night, but clouds though dark had an erie green color. The roar of the wind was incredible.
I knew it wasn't a normal storm when it started hailing. We never get hail. It was pretty big too

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Looks like the western part of the state got it harder than us. It was pretty rough for about a half hour, but basically amounted to a bad thunderstorm.

Nothing compared to the Summer of 1998.

Where are you at?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
East Hampton, Northeastern most town in Middlesex County.

Reaction Score
Very very nasty looking clouds, monsoon rains, but only moderate wind in Bolton Center. Not far away it was worse. I now have a generator, a power-in connector, and a lockout bracket on the panel. That Halloween storm a few years back taught us a lesson.

Reaction Score
Hit us pretty hard in Beacon Falls. Many downed trees and power lines. Traffic jams for hours. Saw telephone polls on fire. Cars crushed by trees. My windows on my porch got blown out and put a hole in the wall. I've been in CT a long time and never experienced anything like this. It's like the Twilight zone! My wife and sister couldn't get home but we found a restaurant with a generator. A couple of Vodka Martini's, Shrimp cocktail and a killer lobster roll saved the evening! We probably won't have power for a week. The View attachment 31404 Boneyard helps pass the time a little. Hope everyone out there who went through this stressful experience is okay!
Ahhh....Rt. 67 Seymour heading toward Oxford. Oxford got absolutely hammered. I've never seen destruction like this storm caused. Thankfully we didn't of any fatalities in the Valley area. Be safe Carl.

Reaction Score
... and a lockout bracket on the panel.

The Lockout bracket is very important. If you do not have this you are making the line from your house to the street hot and can possibly injure repair crews. My brother lives on the South Shore of MA, power crews had numerous issues with live lines when they were cleaning up after the Nor'easters in March. It slowed the process or repairing down lines.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wrote on the Cesspool that the house we lived in in Hamden until 18 months ago and built for us in 2001 had roof and window damage and lost a bunch of trees. Our buyer sent photos. We live near the West Haven shore now, but are away this week. I’m pretty sure our place is okay.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
My brother and his family are in Brookfield as are 5 of my best friends and their families. That town got destroyed as did parts of Danbury and other towns on/near Candlewood Lake.

I’m in Ridgefield, wasn’t home for the storm but had power last night and at 6:30am when I left the house. I just got home and have no power and haven’t since 11am. Rumor has it they’ve had to shut other peoples power off just to fix the destruction in those other towns.

Crazy. Saddest part is the woman who died in New Fairfield when a tree fell on her car had her three year old in the car with her. The baby lived, thank God, but i can’t stop thinking about what that kid went trough before help came. They said they couldn’t get to the car right away because of all the other downed trees.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Hail from Colebrook yesterday. You can see hailstones in the yard as well in the background.

32512129_10211958621303335_1891112866803613696_n.jpg

Reaction Score

I find that very hard to believe given that the same supercell spawned a confirmed tornado in Patterson NY, and following a line, moved across the border into New Fairfield and Brookfield then continued east or slightly south of east into Southbury and Oxford (confirmed tornadoes), and the area with the worst damage (Brookfield) and two fatalities (New Fairfield) had no tornado.

Reaction Score
I find that very hard to believe given that the same supercell spawned a confirmed tornado in Patterson NY, and following a line, moved across the border into New Fairfield and Brookfield then continued east or slightly south of east into Southbury and Oxford (confirmed tornadoes), and the area with the worst damage (Brookfield) and two fatalities (New Fairfield) had no tornado.

Macroburst had the same strength wind force as the confirmed EF-1 just no rotation... tornados are known to jump long distances between ground contact.

Fatalities have nothing to do w/ strength/name of storm (tornado v. macroburst). Falling tree limbs happen in tropical/sub-tropical storm force wind as well.

Northern Hamden is devastated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom