Top Transfers in UConn history? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top Transfers in UConn history?

Reaction Score
Some really good ones from recent memory: Tyrese Martin, RJ Cole, Sterling Gibbs, Shonn Miller, Rodney Purvis

Honorable Mentions: Terry Larrier, Lasan Kromah, RJ Evans
Lasan “seals the win” kromah is a very high one we forget about. We may have to break this into 1 year/grads and the rest.

Reaction Score
Wow never realized Jimmy Foster started at Becker that is wild. Certainly turned out to be quite a Husky in the 70s, excellent player. Good call Pal
That's without a shot clock or 3pt line. 20pt guy easy.

Reaction Score
A player that helped quite a bit in a couple of Perno's better teams was John Delagrange out of New London. He went to cc or jc in california trying to get into UCLA. Thread blows up Borges' opinion that UConn didn't utilize transfers much.

Reaction Score
That's without a shot clock or 3pt line. 20pt guy easy.
Just a note that "history" didn't start in the year 2000.

Jimmy Foster was one of the best transfers to ever suit up for the Huskies. In the 1973-74 season, he averaged 16 points, 3.5 assists and led UConn to a 19-8 record and an NIT berth in a year where the NCAA only took 25 teams. He made big shots in big games and played with a lot more flair than we were used to. He was selected in the NBA draft and played a couple of years in the ABA.
I forgot that Foster was a transfer as I did know it at one time. He was exciting to watch and played with Al Weston and John Thomas. I remember that he had a nice spin move.

Reaction Score
Al Fredericks was a nice player in the early 80s as well out of Mattatuck CC I played against him. Right there with the leapers at 6’4. Great mid range bank shot as well as a great kid.
Ray Broxton RIP as well.

Mike Hayes wasn’t awful either.

Kromah turned out to be the MVP of transfers just because of how he fit that squad, perfect bench player.
I remember Skinner Fredericks being mentioned often when he was at Mattatuck CC. Mattatuck had good teams in the 80s and finished third nationally in 1988.

Reaction Score
Kassoum Yakwe was a transfer with a huge impact because of his key role in getting Sanogo's commitment here with Adama not even visiting or seeing the school. I've heard Adama say that he trusted Yakwe from the same homeland and that that was a big part of his recruitment choice. Yakwe gets an improved position on my list for that off the court contribution.

1. Jimmy Foster for most on court impact
2. Chuck A. for most impact potential (Also brought National Champ credentials from KY I recall)
3. Cole - On court impact but with better cast of players than Foster
4. Purvis - Was the first to popularize stepping out of bounds at the arc - now everyone in ncaa does
5. Martin - for great rebounding - (especially of own missed bunnies)
6. Kromah - For best complimentary fit
7. Miller - Steady
8. Gibbs - We needed what he brought - ball handler with a shot
9. Delagrange - loved him in New Haven HS game vs Mark Aguire & Tommy Heinson(sp) coaching
10. Yakwe - Honorary Selection for Off Court Contribution - see above)

Aside: I don't view recruits from Jr Colleges etc as 'transfers' ie Selvie & Fredricks, to me a transfer is from another D1 program

Reaction Score
how about a thread for transfers out. that would be some list too.

Reaction Score
My all-time transfer starting 5:

RJ Evans
Antwoine Anderson
Kwintin Williams
Kassoum Yakwe
David Onuorah

Championship.
lol i don't think kwintin williams was a transfer, though -- he just felt like it.

surprised that no one shouted out eric "magic" cobb. deserves a mention for his random double-double against syracuse, at least.

Reaction Score
lol i don't think kwintin williams was a transfer, though -- he just felt like it.

surprised that no one shouted out eric "magic" cobb. deserves a mention for his random double-double against syracuse, at least.
Actually, Kwintin Williams previously attended the basketball powerhouse known as Pima Community College in Tuscon, AZ.

Reaction Score
No 3 point line, but he hoisted them from NBA range. Trying to be Wes.
One of the best long range shooters (transfer) was Lee Otis Wilson who played high school ball at Weaver. He left Connecticut for college. Maybe Hawaai? Not sure. But returned for a senior year in 74-75. Big guard for the time at 6-3. He had crazy range.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I believe he was certainly the top transfer in terms of BMI, at least his first season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How many of these guys were all conference? Thanks and good night.

Reaction Score
This is a serious question? It's Cole and Martin.
Actually the most successful transfers we’ve had
Cole and Purvis
Cole because of the position he played
and Rodney because he was real productive.
Purvis actually has a ring as a Redshirt in 2014 . Don’t sell that short . Going against a great athlete every day is a luxury. Plus he either lead the team in scoring or was runner up the next three years. Scoring around 1300 pts in 3 years .
He was instrumental in an AAC tourney championship and scored 19pts in our Cal NCAA win. and 17 against 1 seed Kansas
as he a Sterling Gibbs (another forgotten guy )lead a heroic but futile comeback in that 32 game. Some guys disappear on the big stage. Some get better.
He was forced to play the three at 6’3”
and he had him on this years team at the 2 we would still be playing. He didn’t fold like a cheap suit on the big stage ,
His career was great by any measure , he like Rudy Gay are diminished because of the BY penchant for overhyped and when player can’t meet those expectations he is dismissed as a failure. Unfair but typical of fans.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Foster was All Conference First Team

and NIT First Team although we went out in the second round of the NIT which shows you how spectacular he was in the tourney.
2nd round of nit we got hosed. Foster had 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes. Another player also early foul trouble. Opposition was Boston college. Bc scored its first 16 points from the foul line. The opening game was St. John’s. Nit wanted them. Foster was one of the best points I ever saw. 1973-74 nit. We lost 76-75

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A player that helped quite a bit in a couple of Perno's better teams was John Delagrange out of New London. He went to cc or jc in california trying to get into UCLA. Thread blows up Borges' opinion that UConn didn't utilize transfers much.

Good call Idaho, John was a stud coming out of New London and we didn't grab him immediately. Turned out to be a nice player for Dom.

Reaction Score
Now who’s the best player that ever transferred out of UConn and did work elsewhere? Doug Wrenn? Curtis Kelly? Josh Carlton?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Now who’s the best player that ever transferred out of UConn and did work elsewhere? Doug Wrenn? Curtis Kelly? Josh Carlton?
Roscoe Smith is up there. Averaged 11 rebounds per for UNLV

Reaction Score
One of the best long range shooters (transfer) was Lee Otis Wilson who played high school ball at Weaver. He left Connecticut for college. Maybe Hawaai? Not sure. But returned for a senior year in 74-75. Big guard for the time at 6-3. He had crazy range.
My recollection is Lee Otis Wilson wasn't a transfer. He was having 60 point games in UConn intramural play and got called up to play on the team. Only 50% sure of this if somebody remembers better. I think it was Bob Nash that went to Hawaii and returned after a couple years.

Reaction Score
My recollection is Lee Otis Wilson wasn't a transfer. He was having 60 point games in UConn intramural play and got called up to play on the team. Only 50% sure of this if somebody remembers better. I think it was Bob Nash that went to Hawaii and returned after a couple years.
Bob Nash grew up in Hartford and went to Hartford Public. He then played for San Jancito Junior College before playing for Hawaii.I don’t think he was ever connected with UConn. My mother went to HPHS so we watched Nash when we could.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom