Top Transfers in UConn history? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Transfers in UConn history?

Reaction Score
I almost immediately thought Kromah because he's the only one with an NC. But a deep dive shows that one year with UConn was actually the worst of his career. His minutes probably could've been taken by Calhoun (defense) and Facey (offense) with some Samuels and even Olander thrown in, and it may have produced the same result. Kromah may have done a number of little things not on the stat sheet, but on the stat sheet, he was virtually invisible in the postseason, except for a game vs Nova.
See my post #14 above..... EJ Harrison has a title. AND, he was a walk-on transfer.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
A sentimental vote:

E.J. Harrison... I know he only played 7 mpg. But he took a gamble coming here as a walk-on and he helped us win our first national championship. E.J. Harrison Jr.
The Pride of Danbury!!!!! Yes, people don’t realize he took a tremendous gamble. He was an Alll-American at Div. 3 WCSU and transfered to Div. 1 to walk-on to a loaded team. Tremendous. He would’ve played 15-20 min per game with this current team.

Reaction Score
He’s the only transfer who had an uncle named Bob who would call you a slob and hit you on the head with a cord on the cob.
You're close: I believe it's his "gramps" whose name is Bob. I think the exact lyrics are, "I'll show you my gramps. His name is Bob. He'll tell you, 'Pull up your pants because you look like a slob.' Then whack you off the head (sic) with a corn on the cob."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas
There is much recency bias on the board or probably because I am an old dude. I remember the Morris Mountains's transfer from Kentucky being a big deal at the time. Back then the team was filled with mostly Connecticut players such as Corny, Mike McKay and Norm Bailey. And regional players like Karl Hobbs and Vernon Giscombe. I loved to watch Bailey jump, what an athlete.

I checked Chuck's stats and for the two years that he played for UConn he averaged 13.8 points 7 rebounds in 1980-1981 and 11.9 points 5.1 rebounds in 1981-1982. One memorable game that he played was in the 1981 NIT when Minnesota and Trent Tucker won by 18 at the HCC. I remember Trent with unbelievable range.

Another poster mentioned Willie McCloud as well during the early years of the Big East. Another great leaper.

Reaction Score
How about R.J. Evans who helped Uconn during the 2012/13 season. There were banned unfairly from the posted season, but he was a huge asset on that 20-10 overall (10-8 in the big east) team.
Has built a nice little coaching career for himself too. Grad assistant at Texas under Shaka, grad assistant at Louisville under Pitino, then assistant coach at Louisville once Pitino firing went down. Then assistant at UNC Asheville before going back to his alma mater Holy Cross. I also know that he had real interest from Shaka at Marquette and Pitino at Iona but I'm not sure it would have been a coaching role. Ultimately decided to stay close to home with his new wife and child.

Reaction Score
Al Fredericks was a nice player in the early 80s as well out of Mattatuck CC I played against him. Right there with the leapers at 6’4. Great mid range bank shot as well as a great kid.
Ray Broxton RIP as well.

Mike Hayes wasn’t awful either.

Kromah turned out to be the MVP of transfers just because of how he fit that squad, perfect bench player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bob Staak. Came from st Johns. A lethal shooter.
coached after his playing career at wake Forest and Cincinnati I believe.

I didn’t ever realize that thanks for the history lesson. One of my first “favorite” players listening to George Erlich announce his many long jumpers being made. Staak and Boyd were quite a combo.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I weigh peak more than career for these 4-5 year guys as I think marginal replacement value is more important than just career stats. So t'd go...

1- Cole
2 - Miller
3 - Martin
4 - Selvie
5 - Purvis
6 - Gibbs
7 - Kromah
8 - Larrier

Selvie's free throwing shooting and turnover rate really tanks his value. Cole was 1st team all Big East, which is the biggest award for any of these guys. Miller was hyper efficient on a pretty good team. Martin was also efficient but the 3rd banana. Selvie was a less efficient 3rd banana, but a better team. Purvis was probably slightly more impactful than Gibbs on the same team, so he gets the edge, although Gibbs is underrated.
Blasphemous Hearsay!!!!

Reaction Score
Bob Staak. Came from st Johns. A lethal shooter.
coached after his playing career at wake Forest and Cincinnati I believe.
I remember Staak but didn’t know he was transfer. I believe Doug Melody played around that time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Al Fredericks was a nice player in the early 80s as well out of Mattatuck CC I played against him. Right there with the leapers at 6’4. Great mid range bank shot as well as a great kid.
Ray Broxton RIP as well.

Mike Hayes wasn’t awful either.

Kromah turned out to be the MVP of transfers just because of how he fit that squad, perfect bench player.

Loved both Brocton and Frederick.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Hadn't seen that tweet back when Cupp passed. But sounds like Donyell was still P.O.'d that Cupp posterized him in practice despite being 7" shorter.

Reaction Score
Just a note that "history" didn't start in the year 2000.

Jimmy Foster was one of the best transfers to ever suit up for the Huskies. In the 1973-74 season, he averaged 16 points, 3.5 assists and led UConn to a 19-8 record and an NIT berth in a year where the NCAA only took 25 teams. He made big shots in big games and played with a lot more flair than we were used to. He was selected in the NBA draft and played a couple of years in the ABA.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is a serious question? It's Cole and Martin.

Reaction Score
Just a note that "history" didn't start in the year 2000.

Jimmy Foster was one of the best transfers to ever suit up for the Huskies. In the 1973-74 season, he averaged 16 points, 3.5 assists and led UConn to a 19-8 record and an NIT berth in a year where the NCAA only took 25 teams. He made big shots in big games and played with a lot more flair than we were used to. He was selected in the NBA draft and played a couple of years in the ABA.

Wow never realized Jimmy Foster started at Becker that is wild. Certainly turned out to be quite a Husky in the 70s, excellent player. Good call Pal

Reaction Score
I remember Staak but didn’t know he was transfer. I believe Doug Melody played around that time.
Doug was a year (or 2) behind. Staak started in 68-69, and Doug was a freshman. Freshmen didn’t play varsity then. Just don’t remember what year Staak was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom