Top Transfers in UConn history? | The Boneyard

Top Transfers in UConn history?

Reaction Score
I know this topic has come up before, but makes sense to revisit given the announcement that Tyrese Martin is going pro after two years as a Husky.

Is Tyrese a Top 5 transfer in UConn history? If so, Cole must be as well, right? My knowledge and fandom of the program is heavily weighted towards more recent times, so would love to be educated by some of the older fans on the board if that assessment is way off base.

The way times are changing, I would imagine we are going to accept many more transfers in the next few seasons. We can only hope that they are all as high-quality and dedicated as RJ and Tyrese.

Reaction Score
I can't even think of anyone in the same stratosphere as Cole and Martin. The only player I can think of with a similar sized role (in terms of minutes per game) is Shonn Miller. He was good, but, to my recollection, neither as productive nor as important to the team as Cole and Martin.

Edit: Since I posted, I went back and read Borges article. I am embarrassed to have forgotten about Purvy and Larrier, who had huge roles, too. I still think Cole and Martin were better and more important to the team, though. Hard to tell because of all the other disfunction going on, though.

Reaction Score
Recency bias aside I think they definitely are
I find it tough to argue after just looking at Borges’ list. I’ve always been a fan of Miller and his one year here, but both of these studs were even better, not for one year, but for two.

Reaction Score
I weigh peak more than career for these 4-5 year guys as I think marginal replacement value is more important than just career stats. So t'd go...

1- Cole
2 - Miller
3 - Martin
4 - Selvie
5 - Purvis
6 - Gibbs
7 - Kromah
8 - Larrier

Selvie's free throwing shooting and turnover rate really tanks his value. Cole was 1st team all Big East, which is the biggest award for any of these guys. Miller was hyper efficient on a pretty good team. Martin was also efficient but the 3rd banana. Selvie was a less efficient 3rd banana, but a better team. Purvis was probably slightly more impactful than Gibbs on the same team, so he gets the edge, although Gibbs is underrated.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Some really good ones from recent memory: Tyrese Martin, RJ Cole, Sterling Gibbs, Shonn Miller, Rodney Purvis

Honorable Mentions: Terry Larrier, Lasan Kromah, RJ Evans

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Some really good ones from recent memory: Tyrese Martin, RJ Cole, Sterling Gibbs, Shonn Miller, Rodney Purvis

Honorable Mentions: Terry Larrier, Lasan Kromah, RJ Evans

I'm a huge Kromah fan.

I feel like with a lot of transfers, we need or expect, or they try, to be something more than they are. Kromah did exactly what we needed him to do. I suppose he benefited from playing with great players. But he was so clutch.

Reaction Score
Ed Nelson is such an underrated transfer. Just unfortunately was stuck with probably our most loaded frontcourt ever. I think he got drafted by the Rams to play tight end?

Reaction Score
Ed Nelson is worthy of discussion on any list as well. Never put up huge stats with us given our loaded front courts at the time. But he was ACC Rookie of the Year before he transferred over. Definitely one of our better transfers.
for sure. i'm confident he would have put up better numbers than miller if he got to play in '15-16 instead of 03-04.

Reaction Score
Ed Nelson is worthy of discussion on any list as well. Never put up huge stats with us given our loaded front courts at the time. But he was ACC Rookie of the Year before he transferred over. Definitely one of our better transfers.
Willie McCloud a personal favorite, first big time athlete under Calhoun. This is what I wrote about him on the boneyard in 2012!
------
He wasn't a great basketball player, but he was a phenomenal athlete and the first elite BE level uber-athlete that Big East era UConn ever had. Willie was a big part of Calhoun transitioning UConn into a fighting, lots of 6'5" guys who could run, jump and defend type team that would always give opponents a tough game. Plus Willie shot a crazy high percentage particularly given that his 8-foot jumpers often reached 15' at their zenith (think Tim Coles when facing Ewing). His vertical wasn't too far below that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Kromah fan.

I feel like with a lot of transfers, we need or expect, or they try, to be something more than they are. Kromah did exactly what we needed him to do. I suppose he benefited from playing with great players. But he was so clutch.
I almost immediately thought Kromah because he's the only one with an NC. But a deep dive shows that one year with UConn was actually the worst of his career. His minutes probably could've been taken by Calhoun (defense) and Facey (offense) with some Samuels and even Olander thrown in, and it may have produced the same result. Kromah may have done a number of little things not on the stat sheet, but on the stat sheet, he was virtually invisible in the postseason, except for a game vs Nova.

A healthy Larrier probably means a winning season in 2016, maybe even NIT. Purvis killed UConn that year - the main culprit in the opening losses to Wagner & Northeastern, which put UConn on outside looking in the rest of the year. Larrier was the only one worth a damn in those two games. Ultimately, Larrier's legacy is two losing seasons, but the man was very talented.

Gotta go with Cole #1. Martin is either #2 or #3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom