Top Dogs Podcast | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just because I grew up watching Big Monday, but to me, every single Big 12 basketball team is a name brand. I couldn't tell you what opponents are more likely to fill Gampel, or how far is too far to travel, but, in a vacuum, the only Big East team I'd rather play twice a year than the worst Big 12 team is Villanova.

Reaction Score
How would the 9pm weeknight game against BYU or K St not be a better draw than the same tipoff date and time against DePaul or Butler?

Would our fan base really view Creighton or Xavier as rivals? Would those games have any juice if the programs weren't both currently at what is basically their highest points ever? Would our fan base not quickly view schools like Baylor, Iowa St, Ok St on a similar level as how we view Creighton and Xavier if those schools perform at similar levels?

Baylor has recently been better than nine of our ten current conference opponents, Texas Tech, Ok St, Iowa St and Kansas St have all been very good in recent years and BYU has had quality teams in the most too distant past. There is quite a bit of quality in B-12 men's basketball and in all candor, the familiarity of opponent that comes with remaining in the BE really only covers half the conference.
Well our fan base might not consider Xavier and Creighton rivals since we've only been back 2 years and have lost to them a significant number of times but I'm damn sure I'd rather go see us play them then BYU, K state, ok state, Colorado, Texas tech, etc. Couldn't careless about those schools. Your argument for if there would be any juice against playing Xavier and Creighton would also apply to the big 12 schools. Creighton and Xavier were sellouts last year, I'm sure they'll sell out again this year. Unless any of those big 12 schools were in the top 15 next year outside of Kansas, I'm not sure I'd care, just because of their name.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well our fan base might not consider Xavier and Creighton rivals since we've only been back 2 years and have lost to them a significant number of times but I'm damn sure I'd rather go see us play them then BYU, K state, ok state, Colorado, Texas tech, etc. Couldn't careless about those schools. Your argument for if there would be any juice against playing Xavier and Creighton would also apply to the big 12 schools. Creighton and Xavier were sellouts last year, I'm sure they'll sell out again this year. Unless any of those big 12 schools were in the top 15 next year outside of Kansas, I'm not sure I'd care, just because of their name.
I personally believe that a game against Ok St, K St, Baylor or Iowa St as a conference home game for us would have every bit as much juice as the current matchups with Creighton and Xavier.

I'm sick of hearing about the alleged history when the only history is with five of our ten (exactly half) conference opponents and at the moment only Nova (due to their Jay Wright success), PC (due to location, a douchy fan base and Cooley success) and St John's (due to a coach who has yet to coach one fame for them) carry any real juice.

We've played WVU and Cincinnati more often than we've played DePaul or Marquette and we've played UCF and Houston more than we've played Butler, Creighton and Xavier.

There are bigger names and better brands in the B-12 than there are in the BE and taking us out of the equation, in the short term (10 years)they have as many national titles as the BE and stretching that another half dozen years they have more.

If our fan base needs PC, Seton Hall, DePaul, Butler et al to get worked up and won't get worked up against Baylor, Houston, Kansas St or BYU we need to take a long look at what our fan base really is.

Reaction Score
I personally believe that a game against Ok St, K St, Baylor or Iowa St as a conference home game for us would have every bit as much juice as the current matchups with Creighton and Xavier.

I'm sick of hearing about the alleged history when the only history is with five of our ten (exactly half) conference opponents and at the moment only Nova (due to their Jay Wright success), PC (due to location, a douchy fan base and Cooley success) and St John's (due to a coach who has yet to coach one fame for them) carry any real juice.

We've played WVU and Cincinnati more often than we've played DePaul or Marquette and we've played UCF and Houston more than we've played Butler, Creighton and Xavier.

There are bigger names and better brands in the B-12 than there are in the BE and taking us out of the equation, in the short term (10 years)they have as many national titles as the BE and stretching that another half dozen years they have more.

If our fan base needs PC, Seton Hall, DePaul, Butler et al to get worked up and won't get worked up against Baylor, Houston, Kansas St or BYU we need to take a long look at what our fan base really is.
Why would our fan base get worked up for Kansas St or BYU? PC / Seton Hall it's easy to get worked up when you work in the NYC/Boston metro and have coworkers or friends who went to those schools. I personally don't know anyone who went to Kansas St or BYU and wouldn't have much interest dropping a thousand to go fly out there to see us play them. I went to 4 away games last year. Seton Hall, Providence, Nova and St John's, and even though Seton Hall and St John's were "down" they were a lot of fun. Every conference is going to have bottom dwellers. You're nitpicking the big east teams. Everyone wants to go see what Pitino can do with St John's, who btw has beat us a number of times in the last 15 years than I care to remember.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just because I grew up watching Big Monday, but to me, every single Big 12 basketball team is a name brand. I couldn't tell you what opponents are more likely to fill Gampel, or how far is too far to travel, but, in a vacuum, the only Big East team I'd rather play twice a year than the worst Big 12 team is Villanova.
What???

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Why would our fan base get worked up for Kansas St or BYU? PC / Seton Hall it's easy to get worked up when you work in the NYC/Boston metro and have coworkers or friends who went to those schools. I personally don't know anyone who went to Kansas St or BYU and wouldn't have much interest dropping a thousand to go fly out there to see us play them. I went to 4 away games last year. Seton Hall, Providence, Nova and St John's, and even though Seton Hall and St John's were "down" they were a lot of fun. Every conference is going to have bottom dwellers. You're nitpicking the big east teams. Everyone wants to go see what Pitino can do with St John's, who btw has beat us a number of times in the last 15 years than I care to remember.
So being able to easily attend road games is what makes a conference opponent worth getting worked up about? If this is how it works why the hell do we even play Creighton, Marquette or Xavier?

Look at the track records for all current BE members (outside of us) and the twelve schools that will be in the B-12 once all moves that have already been announced have been completed. You can use any time frame that you believe would be the best to measure things (as long as you are constant throughout), then rank everyone first to last in terms of success/accomplishments as a men's basketball program. At that point you can tell me which conference has more programs that fans can get worked up about.

Reaction Score
I feel like Big 12 opponents are being discounted just because we haven't played them yet. Rivalries don't manifest without games being played first, in most cases.

For me, part of what made Xavier, Marquette, and Creighton "attractive" opponents were the results of the games themselves once we were already playing them. I can't speak for everyone but I didn't get much adrenaline from the prospect of playing them when the BE announcement was initially made. It took the 2OT game in Charleston for me to get fired up about Xavier. It took the top-10 matchup at Gampel where Bouknight scored 40 for me (plus the ensuing losses that followed...) for me to want to play Creighton. With Marquette, it was the Tyler Polley game and introduction of Shaka as HC, etc.

It's not like we'd never have any 'rivalry romance' with the likes of Kansas State, Texas Tech, etc. We just have to play some games first...

Reaction Score
So being able to easily attend road games is what makes a conference opponent worth getting worked up about? If this is how it works why the hell do we even play Creighton, Marquette or Xavier?

Look at the track records for all current BE members (outside of us) and the twelve schools that will be in the B-12 once all moves that have already been announced have been completed. You can use any time frame that you believe would be the best to measure things (as long as you are constant throughout), then rank everyone first to last in terms of success/accomplishments as a men's basketball program. At that point you can tell me which conference has more programs that fans can get worked up about.

No, that wasnt my argument. I said that it's been great to be able to go to schools close by to watch UConn play even though they may not be at the top of the league.

I dont really care that Texas Tech went to the final 4 in 2019. That doesnt make me more excited to play them. I care where they are today. That's all that matters.

Reaction Score
I feel like Big 12 opponents are being discounted just because we haven't played them yet. Rivalries don't manifest without games being played first, in most cases.

For me, part of what made Xavier, Marquette, and Creighton "attractive" opponents were the results of the games themselves once we were already playing them. I can't speak for everyone but I didn't get much adrenaline from the prospect of playing them when the BE announcement was initially made. It took the 2OT game in Charleston for me to get fired up about Xavier. It took the top-10 matchup at Gampel where Bouknight scored 40 for me (plus the ensuing losses that followed...) for me to want to play Creighton. With Marquette, it was the Tyler Polley game and introduction of Shaka as HC, etc.

It's not like we'd never have any 'rivalry romance' with the likes of Kansas State, Texas Tech, etc. We just have to play some games first...

I dont know, do we miss any rivalries or teams from the AAC? Cincy was probably our only rivalry and it was partially because of Cronin and the former big east history.

Reaction Score
I dont know, do we miss any rivalries or teams from the AAC? Cincy was probably our only rivalry and it was partially because of Cronin and the former big east history.
But the Big 12 is not the AAC in terms of basketball pedigree. Yes, there are absolutely teams that I'm not juiced up about playing (Cincy and UCF are two of them), but the ones I am excited about comfortably outnumber the ones that bore me (not to mention, they've had more success than the snoozers from the AAC). In the Big East, those equivalents for me are DePaul and Butler. I just think you're going to find intriguing and boring opponents in every conference, but some of the boring ones in the Big 12 may not be so boring once we start playing them.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
No, that wasnt my argument. I said that it's been great to be able to go to schools close by to watch UConn play even though they may not be at the top of the league.

I dont really care that Texas Tech went to the final 4 in 2019. That doesnt make me more excited to play them. I care where they are today. That's all that matters.
Then let's look at what all members of both conferences are today, excluding us. The B-12 is better in both performance and brands.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Evidently our fan base is more enamored with our opponents than our team.
We took over ( or in other cases close to it) providence, St. John’s, Villanova ( the rafters were shaking with UConn chants in Philly) and Georgetown where we outnumbered them 3-1 on their home floor. But yeah let’s go to Lubbock!

Reaction Score
Evidently our fan base is more enamored with our opponents than our team.

if we were enamored with our team, would we think its ok for them to have to fly half way across the country for every away game?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
We took over ( or in other cases close to it) providence, St. John’s, Villanova ( the rafters were shaking with UConn chants in Philly) and Georgetown where we outnumbered them 3-1 on their home floor. But yeah let’s go to Lubbock!
So what you are saying is we can only get worked up for home games against schools that we can easily visit for road games (after all this discussion began with a debate over whether our fans could get worked up for games against quality opponents in the B-12).

Personally I'm most concerned about what is best for our school, our athletic department as a whole and our individual programs. If people only want to care about the men's basketball program, specifically the men's basketball program as long as we are playing PC, Seton Hall and Georgetown, they have that right.

The thing is, you can call the deficit that we've been dealing with fake but the fact is it is real and it is not sustainable. If you want the athletic department to survive one of possibly a few things need to happen: some billionaire decides to become a benefactor and begins underwriting the deficit; the school starts receiving ND level money for broadcast rights of its football games and is able to generate an additional few million dollars in ticket revenues from all events or we end up in an all sports conference that compensates its members five to six times what we are currently earning in the Bog East. The only one of those that is remotely possible is the third.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
So what you are saying is we can only get worked up for home games against schools that we can easily visit for road games (after all this discussion began with a debate over whether our fans could get worked up for games against quality opponents in the B-12).

Personally I'm most concerned about what is best for our school, our athletic department as a whole and our individual programs. If people only want to care about the men's basketball program, specifically the men's basketball program as long as we are playing PC, Seton Hall and Georgetown, they have that right.

The thing is, you can call the deficit that we've been dealing with fake but the fact is it is real and it is not sustainable. If you want the athletic department to survive one of possibly a few things need to happen: some billionaire decides to become a benefactor and begins underwriting the deficit; the school starts receiving ND level money for broadcast rights of its football games and is able to generate an additional few million dollars in ticket revenues from all events or we end up in an all sports conference that compensates its members five to six times what we are currently earning in the Bog East. The only one of those that is remotely possible is the third.

Whelp none of it is possible is it? Because we were never getting a Big12 invite. Weve survived a decade without P5 Im sure we can survive another.

All you CR people fell for it AGAIN!

Charlie Brown Football GIF

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Whelp none of it is possible is it? Because we were never getting a Big12 invite. Weve survived a decade without P5 Im sure we can survive another.

All you CR people fell for it AGAIN!

Charlie Brown Football GIF
I'm not so sure it's over (although I fully believe our fate is entirely dependent on the Arizona schools).

If you are so sure that it is over I will offer you a challenge, if we do end up in the B-12 you have to attend one football game (you can choose the game) at the Rent. I'll provide the tickets (you can invite others, on me), I'll provide the tailgate. All it will cost you is your time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure it's over (although I fully believe our fate is entirely dependent on the Arizona schools).

If you are so sure that it is over I will offer you a challenge, if we do end up in the B-12 you have to attend one football game (you can choose the game) at the Rent. I'll provide the tickets (you can invite others, on me), I'll provide the tailgate. All it will cost you is your time.
My tailgate likely is better if you want to get beyond wasted, listen to the Dead, eat beyond average tailgate food, and stomp on the bleachers of 106.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
My tailgate likely is better if you want to get beyond wasted, listen to the Dead, eat beyond average tailgate food, and stomp on the bleachers of 106.
We don't get wasted at my tailgate but the food and drink is always top tier. You're welcome to stop by at any game.

Reaction Score

Why would you want to go to a football game with a guy who wants to kill the football program?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'll extend the offer to any boneyarder. All it will cost you is your time. A tailgate that always has too much food and plenty of beer and seats to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom