Top Dogs Podcast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not heard one solid argument on why moving to the B12 would weaken our basketball program at any significant level. Not one.

Yet we have not heard any of these talking heads claim they UCLA moving to the Big10 is going to “hurt” their basketball brand. Conference’s moving forward ARE NOT GOING TO BE REGIONAL. For once can we be ahead of the curve or even on time when it comes to the changing landscape.
They are saying it because it happened moving to a crap league like the AAC vs the top basketball conference in the country. And we also don’t have a coach that checked out and stopped doing his job. If the move happens, basketball will still be great.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I have not heard one solid argument on why moving to the B12 would weaken our basketball program at any significant level. Not one.

There have been plenty of arguments laid out in the other thread, you can choose to disagree with them and that's fine. However, this podcast is even more evidence that it might not be all sunshine and roses, from people that are pretty keyed into the program. Dauster in particular clearly has an inside track to Hurley, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's echoing some of the things he's heard privately.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They are saying it because it happened moving to a crap league like the AAC vs the top basketball conference in the country. And we also don’t have a coach that checked out and stopped doing his job. If the move happens, basketball will still be
This is what is beautiful, you guys are both sides of mouth. We ALL thought UConn would dominate AAC when we joined, no?

And then first year in we won a Natty. But then the coach checked out (and he did for sure) and then you all say THAT is why we werent successful in the AAC. I will stipulate it was a component. Will you stipulate that the league was terrible for us? Our current NC winning coach actually says that. Is Hurley wrong?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Good correction on Goodman vs. TO. There was a separate Top Dogs podcast from a week or two ago where I could've sworn Goodman was on, but it looks like it got deleted or maybe combined with this episode.

I think they were two separate segments that Dauster edited together. To add to the confusion, they were edited together back to back with no transition, so it sounded seamless on the pod.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think they were two separate segments that Dauster edited together. To add to the confusion, they were edited together back to back with no transition, so it sounded seamless on the pod.
He did . Goodman chimed in too. I dont mention that asshat though, even when hes on my side (and he was here!) . Thats deliberate on my part.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They do mention the money factor but quickly dismiss it as seemingly unimportant compared to being in the Big East for basketball. Yes, of course its about money. Money is the lifeblood of keeping athletics up and running and competitive.
No Its not. Like TO said "Every AD runs at a deficit its just how you position it"

And Ive said here before why does anyone here care about money? Its so stupid. As long as there is High D1 NCAA tourney UConn will be included.

Reaction Score
This is what is beautiful, you guys are both sides of mouth. We ALL thought UConn would dominate AAC when we joined, no?

And then first year in we won a Natty. But then the coach checked out (and he did for sure) and then you all say THAT is why we werent successful in the AAC. I will stipulate it was a component. Will you stipulate that the league was terrible for us? Our current NC winning coach actually says that. Is Hurley wrong?
The AAC was a horrible league. Hurley is the man and will be wildly successful in the Big East or the Big 12. Will you stipulate that the Big 12 isn’t in the same universe as the AAC?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The AAC was a horrible league. Hurley is the man and will be wildly successful in the Big East or the Big 12. Will you stipulate that the Big 12 isn’t in the same universe as the AAC?
I mean if you are talking what is the better KenPom league sure. Stipulated, counselor. It's not only about that, is it?

Reaction Score
I mean if you are talking what is the better KenPom league sure. Stipulated, counselor. It's not only about that, is it?
Nope, it’s about whether UConn can be an amazing championship winning program - and they can because Hurley is great and the Big 12 wouldn’t drag the program down in power ratings or lack of top talent like the AAC did counselor

Reaction Score
Any thought that UConn "owes" the Big East is LOL funny. We've done more for the Conference since we rejoined than PC has done in it's history.
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think they made the claim that we owe the Big East. They did say that the BE saved UConn instead of vice versa, but their reasons for not liking the move to the Big 12 were not about that.

Their main argument was that we're chasing a football dream that will never amount to anything. And that just about every program operates with a deficit and the key to success is managing that deficit rather than chasing a bag that doesn't guarantee anything.

Reaction Score
The AAC was a reason for UConn's demise under Ollie, but certainly not the sole reason or even the biggest one. KO clearly had some personal issues that started to spiral after the title, and he was never the same leader after that. That, in addition to him being inexperienced and no longer coaching Calhoun's players, was the main reason the program bombed.

Being relegated to the AAC was obviously awful, but the league is the difference between being a perennial powerhouse and merely a top 25 type program. Not losing to Wagner.

Reaction Score
No Its not. Like TO said "Every AD runs at a deficit its just how you position it"

And Ive said here before why does anyone here care about money? Its so stupid. As long as there is High D1 NCAA tourney UConn will be included.
Agree to disagree I guess. I understand some of that to an extent but it seems very risky to me to assume that continuing to run the largest AD deficit will not ultimately endanger the competitiveness of our AD. Lest we forget, pursuit of more money is what started this whole thing in the first place and continues to drive it, so I'm going to say there must be a lot of stupid people like me who think money is important in all this.

Reaction Score
Rant incoming..not directed at Dauster or anybody specific but just my 2 cents on a topic I've heard way too often recently

Regarding who saved who between UConn and the BE, I don't think anybody saved anybody else. It was a mutually beneficial business decision. There's a lot of history and emotion behind that decision, but at the end of the day it was just good business.

The AAC was consistently sending 2-4 teams to the tournament while we were there. Sure they were mostly getting bounced in the 2nd round, but it's not like the AAC was a low major only getting 1 autobid. Teams were winning games and making the tournament, and with 2 exceptions we weren't one of them. Being in the AAC didn't help, and it did limit our potential imo, but it's not like we were cruising through the conference.. We were struggling, badly. Regardless of anybody's thoughts on the man, a lot of that is attributed to Kevin Ollie.

In comes Dan Hurley. After a couple of seasons of building, a few 4 star recruits for the future (including a future NBA lottery pick), and UConn is on track to win 20 games for the first time since 2016, with 3 star and 229th ranked recruit Christian Vital leading the charge. I don't think Dan Hurley goes on the recruiting spree he's on now if we stay in the AAC, but I do think UConn returns to the tournament and returns to being a winning program.

Fast forward to the Big East where there is immediate success, building on our AAC momentum. Last year the conference generally had a really bad OOC stretch, the BE anchor Villanova was struggling, and UConn kept it afloat. Let's face it, a few BE teams really bolstered their tournament resume last season by beating us down. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'd bet that BE average attendance has also been on an upwards trend. The games just all mean a little bit more now, they're a little bit more nationally relevant, and UConn has a part to play in that. Certainly not all of it is because of UConn, because there's some really great coaches and players in the BE, but UConn played an important part.

If it was as easy as just being in the Big East, somebody other than Nova would have won one by now. So thank you Val for inviting us back, and you're welcome Val for bringing home another trophy.

/endrant

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rant incoming..not directed at Dauster or anybody specific but just my 2 cents on a topic I've heard way too often recently

Regarding who saved who between UConn and the BE, I don't think anybody saved anybody else. It was a mutually beneficial business decision. There's a lot of history and emotion behind that decision, but at the end of the day it was just good business.

The AAC was consistently sending 2-4 teams to the tournament while we were there. Sure they were mostly getting bounced in the 2nd round, but it's not like the AAC was a low major only getting 1 autobid. Teams were winning games and making the tournament, and with 2 exceptions we weren't one of them. Being in the AAC didn't help, and it did limit our potential imo, but it's not like we were cruising through the conference.. We were struggling, badly. Regardless of anybody's thoughts on the man, a lot of that is attributed to Kevin Ollie.

In comes Dan Hurley. After a couple of seasons of building, a few 4 star recruits for the future (including a future NBA lottery pick), and UConn is on track to win 20 games for the first time since 2016, with 3 star and 229th ranked recruit Christian Vital leading the charge. I don't think Dan Hurley goes on the recruiting spree he's on now if we stay in the AAC, but I do think UConn returns to the tournament and returns to being a winning program.

Fast forward to the Big East where there is immediate success, building on our AAC momentum. Last year the conference generally had a really bad OOC stretch, the BE anchor Villanova was struggling, and UConn kept it afloat. Let's face it, a few BE teams really bolstered their tournament resume last season by beating us down. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'd bet that BE average attendance has also been on an upwards trend. The games just all mean a little bit more now, they're a little bit more nationally relevant, and UConn has a part to play in that. Certainly not all of it is because of UConn, because there's some really great coaches and players in the BE, but UConn played an important part.

If it was as easy as just being in the Big East, somebody other than Nova would have won one by now. So thank you Val for inviting us back, and you're welcome Val for bringing home another trophy.

/endrant
perfectly written. It was more coaching than it was the conference. Sure, the AAC limits the ceiling for UConn if they are playing well and lowers the floor when they are playing bad, especially in home attendance. However, with Dan Hurley and his staff, UConn was on their way to becoming a NCAAT regular. When UConn was bad in the AAC it was like adding roller skates to the program while they were going downhill, it just made the descent that much sharper and faster.

The Big East didn't invite UConn as some charitable gesture, they did it because UConn would enhance the national profile of the conference and UConn ultimately did. UConn and Nova are the only 2 schools from the BE that have a national reputation of being basketball powerhouses.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was more coaching than it was the conference.
It was hurting Geno. At the time of the COVID shutdown he had his worst team since Kerry Bascom. That wasn't coaching.

Reaction Score

/endrant
I agree with what you say… Uconn started to turn it around while in the aac when Hurley took over the program..and the big east is lucky to have Uconn..we are the biggest brand in the big east and last year we helped alot of schools because of how good we were.. also we will bring alot more money for the big east in the next media contract.. i also think the big east helps us keep Hurley and helps us with recruiting 4 and 5 star recruits… i think we lose Hurley and start recruiting 3 star recruits if we join the big 12

Reaction Score
It was hurting Geno. At the time of the COVID shutdown he had his worst team since Kerry Bascom. That wasn't coaching.
It wasn't hurting Geno's team that much, they still won 3 championships (2014-2016) and them made 6 Final Fours including one title game appearance after the 3 championships.

I am talking strictly about the men's team. Coaching was bad, it just was. And I say that as a person that likes Kevin Ollie a ton and gives him full credit for 2014 which some here on the Boneyard only give credit to Calhoun for. FWIW, I think his divorce messed him up and I am glad he is getting back on his feet with the Brooklyn Nets.

If Dan Hurley was coaching for those AAC years from 2017 onwards, do they win a title? I don't know, but they wouldn't have been so bad, I know that.

Reaction Score
2 minutes in he said that “the big east is the best thing about UConn basketball” and I knew it would be a doozy. I think it’s sad after all we’ve proven as a program there is a segment of fans who don’t believe we can be successful without the magical powers of the big east and if we go to another power basketball conference that will pay a lot more money we are doomed to fail.

Reaction Score
Right now we recruit with the best programs in the country… if we want a player..i have confidence we will get him most of the time… there is a reason for that.. Hurley is a great recruiter and we are the kings of the north east..in a northeast conference..playing our championship games in New York City

Reaction Score
Right now we recruit with the best programs in the country… if we want a player..i have confidence we will get him most of the time… there is a reason for that.. Hurley is a great recruiter and we are the kings of the north east..in a northeast conference..playing our championship games in New York City

This is what I’m talking about geez. We’re the kings of the whole country. We recruit nationally. We play our championship games in front of 80,000 people where ever they have them, usually Texas.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The same people vouching for the Big 12 will be the ones blasting fans for not showing up to a 9pm Gampel midweek tip v. UCF, BYU, or Kansas St.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

We weren't successful because only 2014 could the American be considered a power conference. That season the league had UConn, Louisville, Memphis, Cincy, Temple, Houston, Rutgers, SMU, UCF, and USF.

The next year we traded Louisville and Rutgers for Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU. At that point, it could no longer claim to be a power league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom