Top Dogs Podcast | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The same people vouching for the Big 12 will be the ones blasting fans for not showing up to a 9pm Gampel midweek tip v. UCF, BYU, or Kansas St.
Do you really believe that a game in Hartford or Gampel against BYU or Kansaa St won't draw?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Do you really believe that a game in Hartford or Gampel against BYU or Kansaa St won't draw?
9pm weeknight games don’t fill unless it’s a big game or a rival game. Expect a lot of late tips if we move to this conference.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
9pm weeknight games don’t fill unless it’s a big game or a rival game. Expect a lot of late tips if we move to this conference.
How would the 9pm weeknight game against BYU or K St not be a better draw than the same tipoff date and time against DePaul or Butler?

Would our fan base really view Creighton or Xavier as rivals? Would those games have any juice if the programs weren't both currently at what is basically their highest points ever? Would our fan base not quickly view schools like Baylor, Iowa St, Ok St on a similar level as how we view Creighton and Xavier if those schools perform at similar levels?

Baylor has recently been better than nine of our ten current conference opponents, Texas Tech, Ok St, Iowa St and Kansas St have all been very good in recent years and BYU has had quality teams in the most too distant past. There is quite a bit of quality in B-12 men's basketball and in all candor, the familiarity of opponent that comes with remaining in the BE really only covers half the conference.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Why? The B12 gets 7 and 9 PM tip off slots, and we'd be one of the few schools in the Eastern time zone. I'd imagine we'd get almost all 7 PM home game tips
He's intelligent enough to realize that he can't use logic to defend his position so he has to cherry pick specific circumstances where his position can be defended.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
BYU not maybe because that fanbase travels. But I’ll scale back and say it’d be harder to fill XL/Gampel with Kansas St, Texas Tech, UCF, Houston, Colorado (potentially) than it would be to fill it vs. DePaul, St John’s, Villanova, Creighton, Providence, etc. Throw in a bad tip time and you never know.

Why? The B12 gets 7 and 9 PM tip off slots, and we'd be one of the few schools in the Eastern time zone. I'd imagine we'd get almost all 7 PM home game tips
Can’t really guarantee tip slots. We had a slew of garbage tip times in the AAC. I wouldn’t bet the Big 12 prioritizes us from the get go and gives us the best tip times.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
He's intelligent enough to realize that he can't use logic to defend his position so he has to cherry pick specific circumstances where his position can be defended.
Yes I’m using a hypothetical to combat the hypothetical invitation you all want to an overrated conference, the minute Texas/Oklahoma leave and UCF/Colorado/Houston/Cincinnati join. The last statement is also a hypothetical. There are no facts or logic in this thread.

Show me the logistics of traveling to all Big 12 schools for all sports. Does that make sense?

Reaction Score
BYU not maybe because that fanbase travels. But I’ll scale back and say it’d be harder to fill XL/Gampel with Kansas St, Texas Tech, UCF, Houston, Colorado (potentially) than it would be to fill it vs. DePaul, St John’s, Villanova, Creighton, Providence, etc. Throw in a bad tip time and you never know.

Can’t really guarantee tip slots. We had a slew of garbage tip times in the AAC. I wouldn’t bet the Big 12 prioritizes us from the get go and gives us the best tip times.
I agree the Big 12 isn't going to intentionally give us the best tip times, I'm arguing the opposite. In order to give us a 9PM tip they'd have to inconvenience their own existing schools with early tips that nobody there wants

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yes I’m using a hypothetical to combat the hypothetical invitation you all want to an overrated conference, the minute Texas/Oklahoma leave and UCF/Colorado/Houston/Cincinnati join. The last statement is also a hypothetical. There are no facts or logic in this thread.

Show me the logistics of traveling to all Big 12 schools for all sports. Does that make sense?
We were able to pull it off in the AAC playing a handful of B level schools and a lot of C level schools. Doing it for a handful of A level schools and quite a few B level schools while being compensated well above anything we could have hoped for in either the AAC or the BE makes a ton of sense.

Question for you: if the second AAC media contract paid half of what the B-12 contract pays would we have left for the BE when we did?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The football team doesn’t have the money to hire a defensive coordinator, but chuckle heads over here wanna pretend the deficit is make believe? They’re lucky the school won’t cut costs on Hurleys next assistant coach, they’d understand then.

Reaction Score
It's been a long time since UConn's played meaningful games against Seton Hall and St. John's. Obviously that changes with Pitino taking over, but from a fan perspective, over the last 20 years, I don't think those two schools have much more juice, if any, than Iowa State, Oklahoma State, K-State, etc. Creighton, Xavier, and Butler, even though they're good programs, don't really do much to move the needle, either. DePaul is obviously a write-off.

Losing games with Georgetown (assuming they get good again), Providence, Villanova, and to a lesser extent, Marquette, would hurt a little at the box office - although Kansas probably cancels out Villanova.

On the aggregate, though, I don't think ticket sales is where this potential move hurts you - or at least not right away. What you'd miss is the synergy of a basketball-first league, the recruiting hot spots, and more than anything, MSG in March.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree the Big 12 isn't going to intentionally give us the best tip times, I'm arguing the opposite. In order to give us a 9PM tip they'd have to inconvenience their own existing schools with early tips that nobody there wants

So wait. I'm confused. Who are postulating that is inconvenienced?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Every 9:00 pm tipoff in Hartford or Storrs is one less 9:00 pm tipoff in the midwest for the conference. It is far easier to put the bulk of the 7:00 pm tipoff here than in Lubbock, Ames or Provo as that would be a larger inconvenience for the fans in those spots.

Reaction Score
The majority of the Big 12 is in the central time zone, where the schools and fans want the 9PM EST / 8 PM CST prime tip off slot over a 6 PM local tip off.

So I'm saying it's not doing UConn a favor to limit our home game 9PM tip offs when it's also in schools like Kansas and Baylor's best interest too to have the later games for home games. Am I off base with that line of thinking (genuinely asking because to me it makes sense for all parties)?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The majority of the Big 12 is in the central time zone, where the schools and fans want the 9PM EST / 8 PM CST prime tip off slot over a 6 PM local tip off.

So I'm saying it's not doing UConn a favor to limit our home game 9PM tip offs when it's also in schools like Kansas and Baylor's best interest too to have the later games for home games. Am I off base with that line of thinking (genuinely asking because to me it makes sense for all parties)?
So 6 and 8 starts?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Every 9:00 pm tipoff in Hartford or Storrs is one less 9:00 pm tipoff in the midwest for the conference. It is far easier to put the bulk of the 7:00 pm tipoff here than in Lubbock, Ames or Provo as that would be a larger inconvenience for the fans in those spots.
Big12 doesn’t tip at 7 eastern ever

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Just this year on this board , I heard fans say 630 is too early and 830 too late for home games in storrs.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Just this year on this board , I heard fans say 630 is too early and 830 too late for home games in storrs.
If our fan base is that inflexible we don't have the support the program deserves.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
All the more reason to support the move. Perhaps if the conference schedule is loaded with real programs (instead of the stray few that happen to be good at any time) we can develop a real fan base.

Reaction Score
So 6 and 8 starts?
I have no idea what you're asking here

Big12 doesn’t tip at 7 eastern ever
The Big 12 had a bunch of 7 eastern weekday starts last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics