Top Dogs Podcast | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would you look at that? Another media personality and outlet saying why leaving the big east might not be great - and yet the big 12 contingent here thinks it’s the simplest decision ever to make, no questions asked.

Reaction Score
Count me among those who, from a men's basketball perspective, don't want to leave the Big East but recognize that from a financial standpoint and for the long-term health of the entire athletic department, believe you have to take the invite if it comes. The Podcasters make a lot of the same legitimate (and some of the same silly ones), albeit debatable, points many are making here. The problem is, there are at least equally valid counterpoints and that entire segment was one big echo chamber. If you want to make it a good listen you need someone pushing back against the groupthink. They do mention the money factor but quickly dismiss it as seemingly unimportant compared to being in the Big East for basketball. Yes, of course its about money. Money is the lifeblood of keeping athletics up and running and competitive. And we're not talking about a little bit here. Tens of millions a year. And who cares if we're not the first choice? Really, who cares even a little bit? If the invite comes the dollars are worth the same no matter where we might have been in the pecking order.

I personally believe its best for the UConn Athletic Department to receive and accept an invite. But at least if it never comes our fallback position is better than it has been in the past. I get to continue watching men's basketball play in a conference that I prefer.

Reaction Score
Count me among those who, from a men's basketball perspective, don't want to leave the Big East but recognize that from a financial standpoint and for the long-term health of the entire athletic department, believe you have to take the invite if it comes. The Podcasters make a lot of the same legitimate (and some of the same silly ones), albeit debatable, points many are making here. The problem is, there are at least equally valid counterpoints and that entire segment was one big echo chamber. If you want to make it a good listen you need someone pushing back against the groupthink. They do mention the money factor but quickly dismiss it as seemingly unimportant compared to being in the Big East for basketball. Yes, of course its about money. Money is the lifeblood of keeping athletics up and running and competitive. And we're not talking about a little bit here. Tens of millions a year. And who cares if we're not the first choice? Really, who cares even a little bit? If the invite comes the dollars are worth the same no matter where we might have been in the pecking order.

I personally believe its best for the UConn Athletic Department to receive and accept an invite. But at least if it never comes our fallback position is better than it has been in the past. I get to continue watching men's basketball play in a conference that I prefer.
This is similar to what I posted on the 63 page B12 invite thread.

My heart loves the Big East and wants basketball to stay there, but my brain says if the B12, which is no guarantee BTW, UConn has to accept it. As a fan, I begrudgingly would come to accept this. I love the Big East.

Reaction Score
I hate the narrative in the media (that TO claims here) that UConn left the big East the first time around. I also dont really care that Goodman, TO, and Fanta arent as high on UConn given that none of them were high on UConn last year. Fanta only turned it around after the first couple games on the NCAA tournament but I went to this big east field of 68 event and Fanta said Creighton and Marquette would have the most success come march. I dont know why Goodman is concerned that we wont be able to hide our PG issues given that we actually have a PG coming in and Newton was also able to play the position last year.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
With Dauster, as a UConn fan, also saying to stay in the Big East,
Make the case on your own. Fanta has self-interest alone at heart.

Reaction Score
I hate the narrative in the media (that TO claims here) that UConn left the big East the first time around. I also dont really care that Goodman, TO, and Fanta arent as high on UConn given that none of them were high on UConn last year. Fanta only turned it around after the first couple games on the NCAA tournament but I went to this big east field of 68 event and Fanta said Creighton and Marquette would have the most success come march. I dont know why Goodman is concerned that we wont be able to hide our PG issues given that we actually have a PG coming in and Newton was also able to play the position last year.
If this roster had the word "DUKE" on the front of their jersey, they would be saying how we are poised to repeat as champions.

Reaction Score
I agree with them…the move to the big 12 will destroy our basketball program…we are in such a great place now with our basketball program… one of the greatest basketball programs ever.. and to trash it to chase football money

Reaction Score
I'll bite. I hate the narrative that UConn is somehow permanently indebted to the new BIG EAST for "taking us back" and "saving us", as if they magnanimously extended us an olive branch. The reunification of UConn to the (new) Big East made sense for both parties, and it's been a mutually beneficial, symbiotic relationship that has improved BE basketball since it was announced. The BE helped UConn, and UConn helped the Big East. Saying otherwise is a reductive argument, and a pretty significant slight to Hurley. It's not like UConn rejoined a conference reluctant to readmit them and has been deadweight ever since...

Dauster, Fanta, and Goodman all have an agenda to push. I love their basketball commentary, but their conference realignment opinions and Big East loyalty concerns knock their credibility, IMO.

Reaction Score
I'll bite. I hate the narrative that UConn is somehow permanently indebted to the new BIG EAST for "taking us back" and "saving us", as if they magnanimously extended us an olive branch. The reunification of UConn to the (new) Big East made sense for both parties, and it's been a mutually beneficial, symbiotic relationship that has improved BE basketball since it was announced. The BE helped UConn, and UConn helped the Big East. Saying otherwise is a reductive argument, and a pretty significant slight to Hurley. It's not like UConn rejoined a conference reluctant to readmit them and has been deadweight ever since...

Dauster, Fanta, and Goodman all have an agenda to push. I love their basketball commentary, but their conference realignment opinions and Big East loyalty concerns knock their credibility, IMO.
This 100%. I hate the "lifeline" narrative simply because it's not true. The Big East didn't let UConn back in as some magnanamous (spelling) gesture. They extended it because UConn enhances their brand and make no mistake about it, having UConn in the BE will help Val Ackerman in her next TV contract negotiations with any TV network.

Reaction Score

You don’t see how this helps a Uconn more? UConn basketball was dying in the AAC and they saved us. Was it in their best interest as well yes but they didn’t need UConn Basketball. UConn needed them. We don’t keep Hurley in the AAC we don’t get Jackson, Adama or Hawkins. Hurley woukd land the occasional good player but that’s it.

Maybe their opinions are biased but nothing they said was off. Not even a little bit.

Reaction Score
Any thought that UConn "owes" the Big East is LOL funny. We've done more for the Conference since we rejoined than PC has done in it's history.
Who don’t owe them anything but they saved UConn basketball. It helped them for sure or they wouldn’t have done it but The Big East didn’t need UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Would you look at that? Another media personality and outlet saying why leaving the big east might not be great - and yet the big 12 contingent here thinks it’s the simplest decision ever to make, no questions asked.

A media personality said it, must be true!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I didn't agree with everything they said in the segment, but it goes to show you that the media almost unanimously thinks the move would weaken the basketball program. So I'm not sure why the pro-football posters think it's crazy to assume that this isn't an upgrade or even a lateral move for basketball.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

FYI Goodman didn't speak in that section about the Big 12, Terrence Ogelsby did and he's an ACC guy through and through. He agreed this move doesn't make sense outside of the money.

Reaction Score
I didn't agree with everything they said in the segment, but it goes to show you that the media almost unanimously thinks the move would weaken the basketball program. So I'm not sure why the pro-football posters think it's crazy to assume that this isn't an upgrade or even a lateral move for basketball.
Thank you! That’s all I’m saying, clearly there are 2 sides to this w/ merits on both!

Reaction Score
You don’t see how this helps a Uconn more? UConn basketball was dying in the AAC and they saved us. Was it in their best interest as well yes but they didn’t need UConn Basketball. UConn needed them. We don’t keep Hurley in the AAC we don’t get Jackson, Adama or Hawkins. Hurley woukd land the occasional good player but that’s it.

Maybe their opinions are biased but nothing they said was off. Not even a little bit.
Yes: UConn basketball was dying in the AAC for several reasons, the conference being one of them. Also yes: the Big East didn't "need" UConn more than UConn needed another home at the time. But the Big East pre-UConn's return was a top-heavy conference propped up by Villanova and, to a lesser but respectable extent, Xavier. The Big East essentially got a riskless, free call option on UConn's interest in rejoining. Either we rejoined and had success (which is where we are today), or we rejoined and stunk and the conference overall wasn't harmed. That's why I think the BE, as a conference body, is being "overcredited" for our success.

Reaction Score
FYI Goodman didn't speak in that section about the Big 12, Terrence Ogelsby did and he's an ACC guy through and through. He agreed this move doesn't make sense outside of the money.
Good correction on Goodman vs. TO. There was a separate Top Dogs podcast from a week or two ago where I could've sworn Goodman was on, but it looks like it got deleted or maybe combined with this episode.

Reaction Score
Yes: UConn basketball was dying in the AAC for several reasons, the conference being one of them. Also yes: the Big East didn't "need" UConn more than UConn needed another home at the time. But the Big East pre-UConn's return was a top-heavy conference propped up by Villanova and, to a lesser but respectable extent, Xavier. The Big East essentially got a riskless, free call option on UConn's interest in rejoining. Either we rejoined and had success (which is where we are today), or we rejoined and stunk and the conference overall wasn't harmed. That's why I think the BE, as a conference body, is being "overcredited" for our success.
Its still a top heavy conference with UConn, did you see last year?

Reaction Score
I have not heard one solid argument on why moving to the B12 would weaken our basketball program at any significant level. Not one.

Yet we have not heard any of these talking heads claim they UCLA moving to the Big10 is going to “hurt” their basketball brand. Conference’s moving forward ARE NOT GOING TO BE REGIONAL. For once can we be ahead of the curve or even on time when it comes to the changing landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom