Top 5 returning players at each position | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 5 returning players at each position

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think it’s so funny how Shepard gets repeated criticism on this board. Clearly she’s a great talent with excellent footwork/shooting ability, and she was key in Notre Dame’s win against UConn. I’d easily call her a top 5 PF, and I also think she will have lasting impact in the wnba.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think it’s so funny how Shepard gets repeated criticism on this board. Clearly she’s a great talent with excellent footwork/shooting ability, and she was key in Notre Dame’s win against UConn. I’d easily call her a top 5 PF, and I also think she will have lasting impact in the wnba.

Please point to the "repeated criticism" of Shepard in this thread.

Reaction Score

depends if it's last year's version or the Shepard from years prior..........

Reaction Score
Kitija Laksa (South FL.)is the sleeper.Led Nation in Free Throw Percentage(96.5)and only missed Four attempts the entire season. Only Player in NCAA Division 1 to record two 40-point games and scored at least 30 points in 5 games and at least 20 points in 18 games. Scored 41 against Ohio St. last year. Set an NCAA single game record of 11 -consecutive Three's against Southern University.Conn.is very aware of her. She is WNBA caliber right now.

Reaction Score
Kitija Laksa (South FL.)is the sleeper.Led Nation in Free Throw Percentage(96.5)and only missed Four attempts the entire season. Only Player in NCAA Division 1 to record two 40-point games and scored at least 30 points in 5 games and at least 20 points in 18 games. Scored 41 against Ohio St. last year. Set an NCAA single game record of 11 -consecutive Three's against Southern University.Conn.is very aware of her. She is WNBA caliber right now.

she's a nice but streaky lower percentage shooter...............399 from two, .382 from three..............compare that to KLS.........530 from two and .475 from three..........Laksa was needed to supply the majority of the points for SF...............if Geno gave KLS such responsibility she would average 30 points a game...........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I can't respect the double standard that you are using. Pheesa gets the shaft for one year's performance which was still better in my opinion to the compariso group you are using just because she didn't have the insane numbers she had the year before that even Geno says was just outside the realm. But then you'll make all these other decisions about other players value and position based on other years of performance and projections for next year.

It's just inconsistent.

The rankings are based off of how good I think the player will be this upcoming season. I'm assuming everyone on this list will be healthy and playing a full season. Collier was healthy and played a full season last year, yet I thought her play regressed. That's the most recent body of work I have from her, and I don't see any indication that she'll make huge improvements this upcoming season other than that she wont have to share time and shots with Stevens inside.

Holmes only played half the year and was behind the curve the entire time. Since she'll likely play a full season and be in better shape, I'm guessing she'll return to her freshman year level of impact. She's the only one on the list whose value I'm basing on two years ago besides Slocum who was out all last year.

Reaction Score
Holmes is an impressive player. She’s extremely quick for her size and plays with confidence. Since Ariel Atkins had such an impressive freshman year in the WNBA, I’ve begun to question Karen Aston’s coaching—clearly Atkins should’ve been taking more shots and been more dominant in college. But maybe a player like Holmes can prove me wrong.
The rankings are based off of how good I think the player will be this upcoming season. I'm assuming everyone on this list will be healthy and playing a full season. Collier was healthy and played a full season last year, yet I thought her play regressed. That's the most recent body of work I have from her, and I don't see any indication that she'll make huge improvements this upcoming season other than that she wont have to share time and shots with Stevens inside.

Holmes only played half the year and was behind the curve the entire time. Since she'll likely play a full season and be in better shape, I'm guessing she'll return to her freshman year level of impact. She's the only one on the list whose value I'm basing on two years ago besides Slocum who was out all last year.

Reaction Score

Holmes has all the talent in the world but she'd be hard pressed to have a season like Collier had two years ago...............as Geno has said in the past, that was one of the finest one year performances he'd ever seen..............last year she was just plain good.........I expect her to make a jump at least half way back to that historic season in her senior campaign...........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Holmes has all the talent in the world but she'd be hard pressed to have a season like Collier had two years ago.....as Geno has said in the past, that was one of the finest one year performances he'd ever seen....last year she was just plain good....I expect her to make a jump at least half way back to that historic season in her senior campaign......

Not comparing Holmes to Collier in any way...Collier is a much more polished player. I don't see Holmes having a 2017 Collier type of year. If Collier can recreate that type of season, she'll be the top PF IMO.

Reaction Score
Not comparing Holmes to Collier in any way...Collier is a much more polished player. I don't see Holmes having a 2017 Collier type of year. If Collier can recreate that type of season, she'll be the top PF IMO.

frankly Holmes may have more innate talent but Pheesa has come much closer to reaching her full potential...........I'm sure that her coaches have something to do with that.........

Reaction Score
I have a hard time taking this list serious. Collier 3rd best Pf? Where is Marina Mabrey? Who in the hell is Pivec, and why is she ranked ahead of Tyasha Harris? Is Destiny Solocum really the best point guard coming into this season? Joyner Holmes a top five center? I guess...

I can't wait for the UCONN/Tennessee game this season. Tennesee fans are very annoying.

Reaction Score
I have no idea who Reinna Davis is. I'd put Leaonna Odom on that SF list before a player Ive never heard of. But of course Im a bit biased.
Very similar players. Reinna Davis operates a lot more at the wing than Odom but she isn't afraid to battle with the bigs for rebounds. She's good.

NOT better than Leonna Odom though. I got a good laugh at the OP trying to sneak her as a top 5 SF.

Reaction Score
...Collier's regression in 2018 may have been due to Stevens emerging as a post presence...

Interesting exercise.

Implicit in your argument is that teams would choose Gustafson or Shepard before Collier. That is a tough argument to make.

For exactly the idea that Stevens disrupted UConn and Collier last year...I often wondered if UConn would have been a better team without Stevens. I don't think Stevens made UConn a more balanced team. IMO, just the opposite.

Collier is one of the best skilled players in WCBB and is un-guardable by anyone in WCBB. She is a pro-ready player who will go in the top 5 and very likely start next year for a pro-team.

Collier is very likely a unanimous pick AA this year...one of maybe only two or three.

Chennedy Carter had a terrific year. Crystal Dangerfield is quicker, faster, more fundamentally sound, is surrounded by much more talented players (so she doesn't need to do as much), would go top 5 in this year's draft and start as PG for most any pro team that drafts her.

KLS is this year's best player. Ionescu may get it because of politics and because she is surrounded by players not as good as her (I don't want to take anything away from her...she is a terrific talent and great for Oregon). KLS is a future all-pro...as is Collier and probably Dangerfield.

Off topic....UConn is a better team this year than last, mainly because they have Walker (who is going to have the UConn sophomore leap) and because Stevens is gone (not so disruptive to Collier inside). UConn is missing size, but they will make up for it with raw athleticism, strength, quickness and talent.

No team in the country has a chance against them if they're "on".

Reaction Score
This will be a breakout year for Pivec, not having to play PG for OSU, and, having 2 solid PGs at OSU. Having to run the point for a year did nothing but improve Pivec's game. By end of year, everyone across the country will know Mikayla Pivec.

Agreed. Pivec adjusted her game to fit what her OSU team needed last year with Destiny Slocum sitting out a season following her transfer from Maryland. Pivec averaged 11.1 points, a PAC-12 guard-leading 7.1 boards, and 5.0 assists per game during '17-'18 playing the point guard position.

There was apparently only one other women's D1 player last season who averaged at least 11/7/5 points/rebounds/assists per game last season. And it was not Sabrina Ionescu. We know her well on this forum and now follow her development in the WNBA. Her name is Gabby Williams. Gabby produced 11.2/7.4/5.3 averages last season. I couldn't find any other female player in D1 at any position to accomplish those stats other than Williams and Pivec.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a little over a month until the season starts...thought I'd bring this up in hopes of sparking some discussion. Obviously there will be players who you can argue are a different position than what's listed (ex. C vs. PF) but wanted to see everyone's thoughts. Here's my list, players are in order too:

PG:
Destiny Slocum, Oregon State
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut
Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina

SG:
Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame
Asia Durr, Louisville
Kaila Charles, Maryland
Tynice Martin, West Virginia

SF:
KLS, UCONN
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
Jackie Young, Notre Dame
Satou Sabally, Oregon
Rennia Davis, Tennessee

PF:
Megan Gustafson, Iowa
Jessica Shepard, Notre Dame
Napheesa Collier, UCONN
Lauren Cox, Baylor
Ruthy Hebard, Oregon

C:
Tiera McCowan, Mississippi State
Kalani Brown, Baylor
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
Kristine Anigwe, Cal
Joyner Holmes, Texas (if back in freshman form)

Some notably missing players include:

Marina Mabrey-she'd likely be a top 5 SG, but she's out of position at PG and struggles against small quick guards. Isn't a top 5 PG in my book even though she's a top 25 player.

Danni Williams and Anriel Howard-both could easily could climb up this list, playing different roles for their new teams may allow them to shine.

Chloe Jackson-good player on a bad team. Let's see how she plays on a very good team.

Arica Carter-really solid PG for Louisville..stats don't jump out at you but she's very solid on both ends of the floor.

Kiana Williams-came on strong to finish the year for Stanford. Could be their go to player this season.

Megan Walker, Erin Boley, Evina Westbrook, Chasity Patterson, Sidney Cooks are all former top 5 recruits who should be positioned well to make larger impacts this upcoming season. Walker and Boley are likely starters, Westbrook likely takes on a bigger offensive role, Patterson should be a rotation player, and Cooks may be the go to player for the Spartans.

Good idea. Will be fun to see how it works out

Reaction Score
This is all fine and probably correct. But if you actually want to win - give me Mabrey over Chennedy Carter any day.

If a trade like that was possible in college ball, there’d be like a whiplash effect. McGraw wouldn’t want Carter? :confused:

Reaction Score
I have a hard time taking this list serious. Collier 3rd best Pf? Where is Marina Mabrey? Who in the hell is Pivec, and why is she ranked ahead of Tyasha Harris? Is Destiny Solocum really the best point guard coming into this season? Joyner Holmes a top five center? I guess...

I can't wait for the UCONN/Tennessee game this season. Tennesee fans are very annoying.

Yea.. we feel the same way about you Dookies..
BTW.. UT and UCONN don’t play until 2019-2020..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yea.. we feel the same way about you Dookies..
BTW.. UT and UCONN don’t play until 2019-2020..

bernie.gif

Reaction Score

I completely disagree with your selective criteria on ranking. You continue to bad mouth and undervalue a college player who just made it to the last cut offs of the national team. I'm not sure why you are even on this board....

Reaction Score
Interesting exercise.

Implicit in your argument is that teams would choose Gustafson or Shepard before Collier. That is a tough argument to make.

For exactly the idea that Stevens disrupted UConn and Collier last year...I often wondered if UConn would have been a better team without Stevens. I don't think Stevens made UConn a more balanced team. IMO, just the opposite.

Collier is one of the best skilled players in WCBB and is un-guardable by anyone in WCBB. She is a pro-ready player who will go in the top 5 and very likely start next year for a pro-team.

Collier is very likely a unanimous pick AA this year...one of maybe only two or three.

Chennedy Carter had a terrific year. Crystal Dangerfield is quicker, faster, more fundamentally sound, is surrounded by much more talented players (so she doesn't need to do as much), would go top 5 in this year's draft and start as PG for most any pro team that drafts her.

KLS is this year's best player. Ionescu may get it because of politics and because she is surrounded by players not as good as her (I don't want to take anything away from her...she is a terrific talent and great for Oregon). KLS is a future all-pro...as is Collier and probably Dangerfield.

Off topic....UConn is a better team this year than last, mainly because they have Walker (who is going to have the UConn sophomore leap) and because Stevens is gone (not so disruptive to Collier inside). UConn is missing size, but they will make up for it with raw athleticism, strength, quickness and talent.

No team in the country has a chance against them if they're "on".
Amen!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I completely disagree with your selective criteria on ranking. You continue to bad mouth and undervalue a college player who just made it to the last cut offs of the national team. I'm not sure why you are even on this board....
Yikes! bballnut has been here for years and he's doing what one of the mods subtitled him for -- he's crafting a discussion topic. I do not see where he bad-mouthed Pheesa. Could you point out where you feel he did that? As for undervaluing, that's where the discussion part comes in. I certainly hope that bballnut does not wonder why he is on this board (as you question above) as the board is richer when posters like him create topics for women's basketball fans to discuss here on the Boneyard. You actually praised the topic he presented earlier in this thread: "Thanks for doing this. It has created a lot of good discussion."

As for the Blue Devil fan that seemed to accuse bballnut of Lady Vol bias (BlueDevils), bballnut is very critical of the present state of LV basketball. It seems to me that he goes out of his way to appear NOT to favor Tennessee. Rennia Davis is the only LV he placed in his 25 slots, which is hardly a homer move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom