Top 5 returning players at each position | The Boneyard

Top 5 returning players at each position

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just a little over a month until the season starts...thought I'd bring this up in hopes of sparking some discussion. Obviously there will be players who you can argue are a different position than what's listed (ex. C vs. PF) but wanted to see everyone's thoughts. Here's my list, players are in order too:

PG:
Destiny Slocum, Oregon State
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut
Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina

SG:
Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame
Asia Durr, Louisville
Kaila Charles, Maryland
Tynice Martin, West Virginia

SF:
KLS, UCONN
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
Jackie Young, Notre Dame
Satou Sabally, Oregon
Rennia Davis, Tennessee

PF:
Megan Gustafson, Iowa
Jessica Shepard, Notre Dame
Napheesa Collier, UCONN
Lauren Cox, Baylor
Ruthy Hebard, Oregon

C:
Tiera McCowan, Mississippi State
Kalani Brown, Baylor
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
Kristine Anigwe, Cal
Joyner Holmes, Texas (if back in freshman form)

Some notably missing players include:

Marina Mabrey-she'd likely be a top 5 SG, but she's out of position at PG and struggles against small quick guards. Isn't a top 5 PG in my book even though she's a top 25 player.

Danni Williams and Anriel Howard-both could easily could climb up this list, playing different roles for their new teams may allow them to shine.

Chloe Jackson-good player on a bad team. Let's see how she plays on a very good team.

Arica Carter-really solid PG for Louisville..stats don't jump out at you but she's very solid on both ends of the floor.

Kiana Williams-came on strong to finish the year for Stanford. Could be their go to player this season.

Megan Walker, Erin Boley, Evina Westbrook, Chasity Patterson, Sidney Cooks are all former top 5 recruits who should be positioned well to make larger impacts this upcoming season. Walker and Boley are likely starters, Westbrook likely takes on a bigger offensive role, Patterson should be a rotation player, and Cooks may be the go to player for the Spartans.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I like Pivec, but I wouldn't put her in the top 5. She really struggled at times playing PG last season, luckily she won't need to do it this year.

Cazorla from Oregon very well may be a top 5 pure PG.

Not quite sure who I would put her in front of but Alanna Smith from Stanford merits some consideration for top 5 at either PF or C.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts for now:

I agree that some players may be in the wrong categories. Ionescu is in her own category. Carter takes a lot of shots for a PG. I think Brown and Cox should be reversed, and Kaila Charles seems like a SF, not SG.

Sabally has potential, but she and Davis will need to make big leaps to be top 5. I'm not sure about Pivec.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts for now:

I agree that some players may be in the wrong categories. Ionescu is in her own category. Carter takes a lot of shots for a PG. I think Brown and Cox should be reversed, and Kaila Charles seems like a SF, not SG.

Sabally has potential, but she and Davis will need to make big leaps to be top 5. I'm not sure about Pivec.

Switched Brown and Cox.

Had a hard time with Ionescu...I labeled her a PG earlier this year and was corrected some here that she's technically the SG since she doesn't dribble the ball up the court regularly, but she'd be the #1 PG or SG wherever she's categorized.

Carter is definitely a PG. Has ballhog tendencies and teammate trust issues that Blair will need to work out of her, but she's a PG.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Do you think Collier is, the only college player still with the USA National Team Pool is the 4th best PF in the country?

Updated it and switched Cox/Brown, so Collier is now third. At the next level Collier projects to be a better prospect than Shepard or Gustafson, but I wouldn't rank Collier ahead of either based on their performances last year. Gustafson was incredible all year and Shepard was outstanding at the end of the season while Collier's junior year was a bit of a letdown compared to her stellar sophomore campaign. If she returns to form, she could be the best PF this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no idea who Reinna Davis is. I'd put Leaonna Odom on that SF list before a player Ive never heard of. But of course Im a bit biased.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Had a hard time with Ionescu...I labeled her a PG earlier this year and was corrected some here that she's technically the SG since she doesn't dribble the ball up the court regularly, but she'd be the #1 PG or SG wherever she's categorized.

At one point I scoffed at Ionescu being a PG. After watching them quite a bit last year, I'd say they really have 2 PGs, they're interchangeable. Either can be the lead guard or play off the ball. It's a nice luxury to have. UO had 2 of the top 3 PG in the Pac 12 last year (other one being Canada). Some teams didn't really have any true PG (OSU, UW).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I like Pivec, but I wouldn't put her in the top 5. She really struggled at times playing PG last season, luckily she won't need to do it this year.

Cazorla from Oregon very well may be a top 5 pure PG.

Not quite sure who I would put her in front of but Alanna Smith from Stanford merits some consideration for top 5 at either PF or C.

Haven't seen a ton of Pivec, but in the games I saw she was quite good. Cazorla was a thought too. Smith is good...maybe HM. Wouldn't put her top 5 yet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Do players from crappy teams get any consideration? Amber Melgoza from UW was fantastic last year, she kept getting better as the season progressed. At the tail end of the year it seemed like Plum had snuck pack into a Husky jersey. Melgoza's playing style really did seem to incorporate quite a bit of Kelsey's game. Unfortunately there was almost no talent, size or experience around her, thus the team's poor record.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I have no idea who Reinna Davis is. I'd put Leaonna Odom on that SF list before a player Ive never heard of. But of course Im a bit biased.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...but Davis is a SF for Tennessee. She averaged 12ppg and 7.6 rpg and should take on a much larger role with Nared and Russell both gone. Question is, has she improved in the offseason and will Tennessee be able to hang in the top 15-20. Lots of questions surrounding this year's team. Odom's a nice player, but IMO, Davis is better.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a ton of Pivec, but in the games I saw she was quite good.

She's a good player, I just wouldn't call her a PG. It's a bit like Mabrey at Notre Dame. She's no doubt a very good player, she did what her team needed her to do, but it was apparent playing PG is not her ideal position. Didn't prevent them from winning a Championship though.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Do players from crappy teams get any consideration? Amber Melgoza from UW was fantastic last year, she kept getting better as the season progressed. At the tail end of the year it seemed like Plum had snuck pack into a Husky jersey. Melgoza's playing style really did seem to incorporate quite a bit of Kelsey's game. Unfortunately there was almost no talent, size or experience around her, thus the team's poor record.

Feel free to make your own list! Would love to see it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...but Davis is a SF for Tennessee. She averaged 12ppg and 7.6 rpg and should take on a much larger role with Nared and Russell both gone. Question is, has she improved in the offseason and will Tennessee be able to hang in the top 15-20. Lots of questions surrounding this year's team. Odom's a nice player, but IMO, Davis is better.

I was serious. Never heard of her before. Now I know who she is... I'll keep an eye out for her.

Reaction Score
Pivec is definitely no longer a PG at Oregon St. With Slocum ahead of her she will likely go back to the SG slot she played when Syd Wiese was the PG. I love Pivec’s game. Has high averages in pts, rebs, and asts. Expect her to score more this season. She often got a little tired out often being pressured trying to take the ball up the floor. Maybe we will see her as a top SG come the end of the season!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Davis has incredible talent. I think she will have a very good year. I just think that Westbrook will be the most improved player on the team.

Reaction Score
Thanks for doing this. It has created a lot of good discussion. I have to say that I don't think Joyner Holmes should be on the list at all and she is not a center. She is a 3-4 position player.

Also, the response to grossly undervaluing Pheesa was based on her performance last year only and considered none of her other greatness. When applying that same criteria Holmes was highly inconsistent so should not make the list in my opinion. Shepherd should be moved to the 5 in my position because again last year she played the 5 position the whole year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Thanks for doing this. It has created a lot of good discussion. I have to say that I don't think Joyner Holmes should be on the list at all and she is not a center. She is a 3-4 position player.

Also, the response to grossly undervaluing Pheesa was based on her performance last year only and considered none of her other greatness. When applying that same criteria Holmes was highly inconsistent so should not make the list in my opinion. Shepherd should be moved to the 5 in my position because again last year she played the 5 position the whole year.

I had a tough time filling the 5th center spot...no one jumped out at me, but I'm assuming that Holmes will be more up to speed this year since she'll be playing a full season. Last year just seemed more like a wasted year since she was out of shape and didn't join the team or school until 2nd semester.

I do think the PFs of Shepard, Collier and Gustafson are all very close and any of them could emerge as the best PF in the nation. Collier's regression in 2018 may have been due to Stevens emerging as a post presence, but aside from that guess, there really wasn't any obvious reason why her play declined like there was with Holmes, so that's why I'm basing more of my prediction off her performance as a junior rather than the year prior. I will not be surprised if she does emerge as the best PF in the nation this year.

And I put Shepard at the 4 since that's where she likely plays this year if Turner is healthy. I'm guessing we'll see a more versatile and expanded game from Shepard rather than being playing primarily as a back to the basket post. Noear. reason to list her as a 5 when that's not where she'll be playing this year.

Reaction Score
I had a tough time filling the 5th center spot...no one jumped out at me, but I'm assuming that Holmes will be more up to speed this year since she'll be playing a full season. Last year just seemed more like a wasted year since she was out of shape and didn't join the team or school until 2nd semester.

I do think the PFs of Shepard, Collier and Gustafson are all very close and any of them could emerge as the best PF in the nation. Collier's regression in 2018 may have been due to Stevens emerging as a post presence, but aside from that guess, there really wasn't any obvious reason why her play declined like there was with Holmes, so that's why I'm basing more of my prediction off her performance as a junior rather than the year prior. I will not be surprised if she does emerge as the best PF in the nation this year.

And I put Shepard at the 4 since that's where she likely plays this year if Turner is healthy. I'm guessing we'll see a more versatile and expanded game from Shepard rather than being playing primarily as a back to the basket post. Noear. reason to list her as a 5 when that's not where she'll be playing this year.
I'm sorry but I can't respect the double standard that you are using. Pheesa gets the shaft for one year's performance which was still better in my opinion to the compariso group you are using just because she didn't have the insane numbers she had the year before that even Geno says was just outside the realm. But then you'll make all these other decisions about other players value and position based on other years of performance and projections for next year.

It's just inconsistent.

Reaction Score
not sure why Tiana Mangakahia from Syracuse gets so little credit (maybe it's because nobody can pronounce her name)..........while she can play wildly out of control at times, she's the most exciting point guard in college basketball and led the country in assists last season averaging about 10 assists a game along with almost 17 points per game...........

Tiana Mangakahia highlight reel - NewzCliq.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pivec is definitely no longer a PG at Oregon St. With Slocum ahead of her she will likely go back to the SG slot she played when Syd Wiese was the PG. I love Pivec’s game. Has high averages in pts, rebs, and asts. Expect her to score more this season. She often got a little tired out often being pressured trying to take the ball up the floor. Maybe we will see her as a top SG come the end of the season!
This will be a breakout year for Pivec, not having to play PG for OSU, and, having 2 solid PGs at OSU. Having to run the point for a year did nothing but improve Pivec's game. By end of year, everyone across the country will know Mikayla Pivec.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom