Top 5 All-time teams from each school | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Top 5 All-time teams from each school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
And that is leaving off players like Kate Starbird, Jayne Appel, Olympia Scott, Naomi M., etc. Pretty solid bench for the Cardinal.

And Olympian Katy Steding.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When I first started watching women's basketball I was about 12 and I remember always watching Tiffany Jackson of UT go head up against sophia Young. Thank you for the memory.

We love our Sophia! I just saw her play her final WNBA game. Sad to see her go!

Reaction Score
Here are some other teams:

Georgia
Teresa Edwards
Saudia Roundtree
Deanna Nolan
Katrina McClain
La'Kiesha Frett

Reserves: Kelly Miller, Sherill Baker, Tasha Humphrey, Ashley Houts, Janet Harris

LSU
Temeka Johnson
Seimone Augustus
Marie Ferdinand
Julie Gross
Sylvia Fowles

Reserves: Pokey Chapman, Joyce Walker

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We need one of those "Muhammed Ali vs. Rocky Marciano" computer simulation games - use USC's and UCONN's all-time players when each was in her senior year.
We need a Holodeck.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So, you're saying the others weren't good enough?

Good enough to win in some years, but Griner's Baylor and Stewart's UConn are two of the most dominant wcbb teams ever.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I just have to say this is very tough because, as dominant as UConn is now - and has been for many years - the mix of 5 players from across the times, and especially the great stars of the game from the '80s and early '90s mixed with selected greats since indeed may make teams that - on paper - would be as good as or, yes, better than, a select 5 UConn players.

As someone correctly noted, once you add a bench, well then, UConn will ultimately move ahead because at each position you can pretty much get 2 or more players that deserve to be on the all time team, at other schools, you go only one deep or have a serious drop off to a second player at some of the positions. No top 10 from any other school could match a UConn top 10, however, as I said, a top 5 I think is much more debatable.

And to the original poster - I started watching WBB at about the same time, but was less single team focused. While I couldn't create the lists of players, with one exception, I've heard of them all and know how good they were. And while I don't know her connection to UConn, someone mentioned Tonya Sampson. Absolutely great player I think on the '94 UNC team although I could be mistaken. That was the first WBB game I ever saw, the UNC shot.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
An RU all time team wouldn't be bad:

PG: Prince, Pointer
SG: Pondexter, Newton
SF: Carson // Shawnetta Stewart
PF: Sue Wicks (was near end of career with Liberty, but was 1988 POY)
C: Tammy Sutton-Brown, Kia Vaughn
Nice. While she wan't one of my favorites, Ajavon deserves consideration at PG and Prince as a shooting guard in lieu of Newton. I'm really not sure what position Shawnetta technically played, she was a heck of a ball player but chose not to maintain condition and go on to the pros that were available to her - she was drafted by a team from Birmingham in whatever short lived league competing with the WNBA there was at the time.

This is, incidentally, except for Wicks, a CVS team. Recognizing the difficulty of comparing across eras, RU did have some other outstanding players over the years, including Caroline deRoose of the late TG era.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And to the original poster - I started watching WBB at about the same time, but was less single team focused. While I couldn't create the lists of players, with one exception, I've heard of them all and know how good they were. And while I don't know her connection to UConn, someone mentioned Tonya Sampson. Absolutely great player I think on the '94 UNC team although I could be mistaken. That was the first WBB game I ever saw, the UNC shot.

Sampson was a beast of a SG... similar in build to one of your former players Stewart... actually they wore the same number as well.

Nice. While she wan't one of my favorites, Ajavon deserves consideration at PG and Prince as a shooting guard in lieu of Newton. I'm really not sure what position Shawnetta technically played, she was a heck of a ball player but chose not to maintain condition and go on to the pros that were available to her - she was drafted by a team from Birmingham in whatever short lived league competing with the WNBA there was at the time.
ra.

From my recollection....... I thought of Stewart as a SG/SF .... more SG though..... I think she was about 5'10. One of my favorite RU players.... actually I only liked 2 Rutgers players ever.... her and Tammy Sutton Brown :):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UNC
1- Nikki Teasley (one of the all-time great PGs)
2- Ivory Latta
3- Marion Jones
4- Camille Little
5- Erlana Larkins
*Alisha Gray and Diamond DeShields may have been on course to be considered on the perimeter

That's a ridiculous list if you dont have Tonya Sampson, Charlotte Smith, and Tracey Reid in the top 5 :confused:

Reaction Score
I just have to say this is very tough because, as dominant as UConn is now - and has been for many years - the mix of 5 players from across the times, and especially the great stars of the game from the '80s and early '90s mixed with selected greats since indeed may make teams that - on paper - would be as good as or, yes, better than, a select 5 UConn players.

As someone correctly noted, once you add a bench, well then, UConn will ultimately move ahead because at each position you can pretty much get 2 or more players that deserve to be on the all time team, at other schools, you go only one deep or have a serious drop off to a second player at some of the positions. No top 10 from any other school could match a UConn top 10, however, as I said, a top 5 I think is much more debatable.

Ok, what do you think would make those teams better than UConn's five?
I must admit some of those front lines, like USC and Stanford would probably rough up our girls by getting physical. But my point is, I think we would run them out of the Gym. Also, our 3pt shooting would be off the charts. USC, is downright scary. Tennessee is unbelievable, with the unstoppable, Holdsclaw. Who won 3NC's. I hated her, because she played for them, but I think she had one of the greatest college careers. You have to give credit where it's due. What about CP? Who was a triple threat. Scoring at will, from all over the court. She won 2NC, maybe would have won 3, if she didn't turn pro. Catchings? All world, she brought it every time she stepped onto the court.
Stanford, look at that front line, it would be impossible to keep them off of the boards. Lots of Great teams.
I guess anyone of these teams could beat the other on any given day. But, as I have really only watched UConn, I have to say, In a Final 8 tourney, Give me the Huskies. I say that, because I have seen these kids perform on the biggest stage, winning time and time again.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has had the incredible fortune of having its best four of all-time playing together. Add in Peters, who's in the Top Ten and it's easy to see why they have done so well. Hard act for this new group to follow.
And how many championships? Notre Dame All Time 5 is a bit overrated but still impressive

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
An RU all time team wouldn't be bad:

PG: Prince, Pointer
SG: Pondexter, Newton
SF: Carson // Shawnetta Stewart
PF: Sue Wicks (was near end of career with Liberty, but was 1988 POY), Regina Howard, teammate of Wicks in the 80s
C: Tammy Sutton-Brown, Kia Vaughn
Sampson was a beast of a SG... similar in build to one of your former players Stewart... actually they wore the same number as well.

From my recollection.. I thought of Stewart as a SG/SF .... more SG though..... I think she was about 5'10. One of my favorite RU players.... actually I only liked 2 Rutgers players ever.... her and Tammy Sutton Brown :):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Assuming you are a TSB fan from her time with the Sting? (RIP)

While TSB could be dominate in college, she was never quite the consistent force RU needed. I thought overall, TSB was a better Pro than college player, and was helped immensely by Donovan (who gets a lot of grief as a head coach, but I think has done wonders for many posts, including Lauren Jackson).

Reaction Score
Good enough to win in some years, but Griner's Baylor and Stewart's UConn are two of the most dominant wcbb teams ever.
Griner has only 1 NC, while Stewart may have 3 + 1 NCs ....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Griner has only 1 NC, while Stewart may have 3 + 1 NCs ....

Right. Mostly referring to Baylor going to undefeated that year, which only 8 teams have done in the NCAA tournament era.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Assuming you are a TSB fan from her time with the Sting? (RIP)

While TSB could be dominate in college, she was never quite the consistent force RU needed. I thought overall, TSB was a better Pro than college player, and was helped immensely by Donovan (who gets a lot of grief as a head coach, but I think has done wonders for many posts, including Lauren Jackson).

Actually I was a fan of Sutton-Brown in college... and to my joy. :D.... the Sting (RIP) drafted her. As an aside..... it was amazing how many of the players I enjoyed watching in college... ended up on the Sting... whether via Free-Agency or the Draft. Monique Curry, Tracey Reid, Nicole Powell, Sutton-Brown, Helen Darling, Dawn Staley, Andrea Stinson, Allison Feaster, Tora Suber ... among others.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has had the incredible fortune of having its best four of all-time playing together. Add in Peters, who's in the Top Ten and it's easy to see why they have done so well. Hard act for this new group to follow.

And how many championships? Notre Dame All Time 5 is a bit overrated but still impressive

OutsideShot referenced the four recent players (Diggins, McBride, Achonwa, Loyd). Collectively, they are responsible for five straight Final Four appearances.

But you posted the above response to OutsideShot's post. Making the Final Four year after year (with four appearances in the national title game during this span) is "a bit overrated?" Since when is sustained excellence overrated?

As an aside, during the time frame when those four players were at Notre Dame, they had some success against UConn. UConn won 11 of their matchups during this time frame, while Notre Dame won 7. Certainly this is much greater success than any other team has mustered against UConn in recent years.

In fact, I would argue that while the individual talent of Notre Dame's all-time five may not be as great as other schools, the sum is certainly greater than the individual parts, which is a hallmark of Muffet's coaching.

Reaction Score
OutsideShot referenced the four recent players (Diggins, McBride, Achonwa, Loyd). Collectively, they are responsible for five straight Final Four appearances.

Making the Final Four year after year (with four appearances in the national title game during this span) is "a bit overrated?" Since when is sustained excellence overrated?
\

The body of work is impressive. Impressive enough to consider Notre Dame all time top 5 among the elites. The interesting thing about Notre Dame all time top 5 is that we had the luxury to see 4/5 players play on the same team as "OutsideShot" was referencing. With that being said if we truly want to compare each teams all time 5 we can't stop at just final four appearances. The facts are 80% of Notre Dame all time are responsible for five Final Four appearances. And how did majority fair in championship games?

Texas A&M 76 Notre Dame 70 (No J.Loyd)
Baylor 80 Notre Dame 61 (B.Griner O.Sims vs S.Diggins K.Mcbride N.Achonwa D.Peters) (No J.Loyd)
Uconn 79 Notre Dame 58 (B. Stewart M.Jefferson vs K.Mcbride N.Anchonwa J.Loyd) (No S.Diggins)

Getting to the final four is very impressive especially if you're getting there with consistency, but if we're comparing elites we can't overlook the fact that majority of Notre Dame all time 5 players couldn't get the job done once... WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP (the reason teams breath the final four). With that being said the sole reason I'll rank Baylor, Uconn, and Tenn, and USC all time 5 higher than Notre Dame but I would rank Notre Dame one spot higher than Stanford.

Reaction Score
That group of the four greatest Notre Dame players was incredibly good timing- and also had the misfortune of a cycle of a bit better group rotating through Connecticut and Baylor. I don't hold that against them. They've proven to be good pros. They also elevated Muffett McGraw from a roughly Sweet 16 coach to Final Four coach. Whatever we want to credit McGraw with, most of it comes from having those players together. Which goes for any coach- they sure look at lot better when they have superior talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom