Top 5 All-time teams from each school | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top 5 All-time teams from each school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Considering Miller was not the point guard, but was a collegiate forward, I am not sure how she is ranked at the PG position.

If you want to pick the five best players and have the positions figure themselves out, that is a different ranking (at least in my book). You can have the five best players in history (on a team) or the five best players in history at each position (on a team). Is this list supposed to be the former or the latter? If the latter, Miller should not be listed at a position she did not play.
By position of course. Teams are not limited to just five players. Maybe they didn't know what position she plays. She was a 4, right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, if they were that good, I would have heard of them. You think we should put them in Dukes spot? I really want your input, if you disagree, give me your final 8.
I really only started watching since 96, that's when I fell in love with UConn and started hating Tennessee. I really only watch UConn, in women's BB. I follow just about every sport, football, hockey, women's tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer and golf. I love all things Philly and UConn.

Alot of this is colored by when a person started following the sport.... and of course which teams they root for. Id started trying to follow WCBB when i was in elementary school...... around 1982 or so.. and thats when LaTech and Southern Cal were forces. Didnt really start to follow Duke WCBB until 1998.

I'd put USC on top............ Id put Stanford over ND and Baylor actually. I wouldnt put UVA in at Duke's expense. .......cause I think you have Duke too low at 8. I'd keep UNC.... move out Maryland.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Considering Miller was not the point guard, but was a collegiate forward, I am not sure how she is ranked at the PG position.

If you want to pick the five best players and have the positions figure themselves out, that is a different ranking (at least in my book). You can have the five best players in history (on a team) or the five best players in history at each position (on a team). Is this list supposed to be the former or the latter? If the latter, Miller should not be listed at a position she did not play.
I am suiting up Reggie's big sister at PG. You pick someone from any of the team mentioned here and I bet they can't guard her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, if they were that good, I would have heard of them. You think we should put them in Dukes spot? I really want your input, if you disagree, give me your final 8.
I really only started watching since 96, that's when I fell in love with UConn and started hating Tennessee. I really only watch UConn, in women's BB. I follow just about every sport, football, hockey, women's tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer and golf. I love all things Philly and UConn.

Apparently not :rolleyes:

By position of course. Teams are not limited to just five players. Maybe they didn't know what position she plays. She was a 4, right?

Miller was anything she wanted to be :cool:

Reaction Score
Apparently not :rolleyes:

Miller was anything she wanted to be :cool:
I have heard of a lot of the greats, a lot of the ones before my time. That being said, I asked for input because I know that there are a lot more knowledgeable WBB fans on this board than me, who have followed the game much longer than I have.

Reaction Score
Alot of this is colored by when a person started following the sport.... and of course which teams they root for. Id started trying to follow WCBB when i was in elementary school. around 1982 or so.. and thats when LaTech and Southern Cal were forces. Didnt really start to follow Duke WCBB until 1998.

I'd put USC on top.. Id put Stanford over ND and Baylor actually. I wouldnt put UVA in at Duke's expense. ..cause I think you have Duke too low at 8. I'd keep UNC.... move out Maryland.
USC over UConn? UConn is much deeper, with some of the greatest 3 point shooters. They would shoot the lights out of USC! We would bring Sales, Bird and KML off the bench! Not to mention Lobo and Wolters! I can see you putting Stanford over Baylor and ND. But USC over UConn? Can't see that at all. Would be a good game though.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
USC over UConn? UConn is much deeper, with some of the greatest 3 point shooters. They would shoot the lights out of USC! We would bring Sales, Bird and KML off the bench! Not to mention Lobo and Wolters! I can see you putting Stanford over Baylor and ND. But USC over UConn? Can't see that at all. Would be a good game though.

Your original post said top 5 from each school. I'd put Southern Cal's top 5 over any other school. If you start including benches.... then obviously UCONN has the advantage over any school....

Reaction Score
Your original post said top 5 from each school. I'd put Southern Cal's top 5 over any other school. If you start including benches.... then obviously UCONN has the advantage over any school....
The 5 was for the top five schools. That's why the UConn team had subs included. There were so many good teams, that I changed it to Final 8. Sorry, I should have made that a little clearer.

Reaction Score
Baylor
PG-Odyssey Sims
SG-Suzie Snider Eppers*
SF-Nina Davis
PF-Sophia Young
C-Brittney Griner

*= A major bad ass in her day! Pulled down almost 900 more rebounds & scored 500 more points than Griner.
When I first started watching women's basketball I was about 12 and I remember always watching Tiffany Jackson of UT go head up against sophia Young. Thank you for the memory.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Only one that I know is Staley. Can't put them in the final 8. Who's spot would they take?
Monica Wright was once engaged to Kevin Durant if that helps.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Only one that I know is Staley. Can't put them in the final 8. Who's spot would they take?

Wendy Palmer, if I remember correctly, was the one holding the ball while trying to inbound/call time out late in the game in the regional final in '95.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have heard of a lot of the greats, a lot of the ones before my time. That being said, I asked for input because I know that there are a lot more knowledgeable WBB fans on this board than me, who have followed the game much longer than I have.
Do yourself a favor and go rent the movie Mighty Mac when you get the chance. It is about the Immaculata women's basketball and more important about our (Philly) people and the roots of the women's game. You will see many threads and connections to UCONN for example one of Cathy Rush's players eventually got married to Phil Martelli. It was Phil that gave Geno his first coaching job at Bishop Kenrick High School before Jim foster and Debbie Ryan realized the potential and dragged Geno to St Joe's and UVA. Thank me later and I make some more connections for you like how Muffett McGraw and Dawn Staley fit into this wonderful mosaic.

Reaction Score
Please explain. Even 5 on 5, Who is gonna match up with BS? Mojet can shut down opposing PG's. DT, hitting 3's, mid range and driving to the hoop and drawing fouls. MM, hitting all over the place. TC, roaming the paint. Unbeatable!

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Bascom without the "b", be Ascom? - never heard of her.
It was the second 'b', I may have typoed Bascomb and there is no 'b' at the end. I did recall however that it was stated that she was UConn's first All American and until Nykesha Sales in 1998 that was Bascom was the all time UConn scooring leader. With Maya, Tina KML,, they have been moved down the list. But still 4th and 5th. Bascom was the team leader getting UConn to its' first final four.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Please explain. Even 5 on 5, Who is gonna match up with BS? Mojet can shut down opposing PG's. DT, hitting 3's, mid range and driving to the hoop and drawing fouls. MM, hitting all over the place. TC, roaming the paint. Unbeatable!
Before you get in way over your head.
Please watch the following:

Reaction Score
Do yourself a favor and go rent the movie Mighty Mac when you get the chance. It is about the Immaculata women's basketball and more important about our (Philly) people and the roots of the women's game. You will see many threads and connections to UCONN for example one of Cathy Rush's players eventually got married to Phil Martelli. It was Phil that gave Geno his first coaching job at Bishop Kenrick High School before Jim foster and Debbie Ryan realized the potential and dragged Geno to St Joe's and UVA. Thank me later and I make some more connections for you like how Muffett McGraw and Dawn Staley fit into this wonderful mosaic.
I am aware of the Philly connection. How could I not be? I've seen all the stories about Geno, Phil, and Jim, along with Muffet. I will watch the movie though. A lot of great WBB players were before my time and unlike the men's game, there isn't a lot of video or discussions about the greatest women players. I really enjoy hearing about them from a fans point of view.

Reaction Score
Before you get in way over your head.
Please watch the following:

Tremendous!! So, CoCo. Are you saying that USC would beat UConn? Where is Tonyc when you need him.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Please explain. Even 5 on 5, Who is gonna match up with BS?

Cheryl Miller or Lisa Leslie.

USC legitimately poses a challenge. I think Tennessee does, too, although they aren't as strong at the point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tremendous!! So, CoCo. Are you saying that USC would beat UConn? Where is Tonyc when you need him.
Yes I would give a slight edge to the USC team over UCONN first 5 because Bird and DT would have to play some major defense ( not their forte) against Coop and Miller.

Reaction Score
Cheryl Miller or Lisa Leslie.

USC legitimately poses a challenge. I think Tennessee does, too, although they aren't as strong at the point.
Who do you think would win? You have 3 players in the UConn starting five that have been in the conversation for greatest of all time. I guess Cheryl, Cynthia and Leslie might be in that conversation also. But, with UConn, you have 4, very good 3pt shooters. Not sure that USC can match that.

Reaction Score
Yes I would give a slight edge to the USC team over UCONN first 5 because Bird and DT would have to play some major defense ( not their forte) against Coop and Miller.
Point taken, but I put Mojet in my starting five. What about our speed and 3pt shooting? I wish I could get a ESPN poll on this subject.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was the second 'b', I may have typoed Bascomb and there is no 'b' at the end. I did recall however that it was stated that she was UConn's first All American and until Nykesha Sales in 1998 that was Bascom was the all time UConn scooring leader. With Maya, Tina KML,, they have been moved down the list. But still 4th and 5th. Bascom was the team leader getting UConn to its' first final four.
Bill please play along! The is no second "b". Kerry Bascom is brought up regularly on this board as an all-time UCONN great, some even nominated her for the UCONN mount Rushmore of players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
4. Stanford
PG. Starbird?
SG. Wiggins
W. N. Ogwumike
F. C. Ogwumike
C. Appel

Nicole Powell is one of the Top 5 Stanford players ever. Azzi at the PG... Wiggins at the SG. ....... and a front line of the O sisters and Powell... thats tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom