Top 5 All-time teams from each school | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 5 All-time teams from each school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are absolutely right about Abrosimova, truly one of my favorites. Never saw Bascomb play, but I have heard of her. Which of the other all-time teams, if any, do you think could challenge UConn? Not sure about our defense against Teams 2,3 or 4.
In the grand scheme of things Bascomb was I think Geno's first AA player and was there when the fan base was pretty small. Now, the question of match ups with the best of Tenn, ND, Stanford, Duke (I take judicial notice that you did not include them). Not only can that "starting five" (Tina, Breanna, Maya, Diana, Sue/MoJeff) score the ball they all, even Maya played great defense. Might be the only reason I might have Mo creep ahead of Sue. But how good have they been when you can legit make a "best" team and leave a HOF member like Lobo on the bench. Pretty special talent Geno has been able to bring to the hills of NE CT.

Reaction Score
Maryland's top 5:

PG - Toliver
SG - Coleman
SF - Thomas
PF - Langhorne
C - Kizer (over Harper)

The first 4 were no brainers. All of them were All Americans and All Stars in the WNBA. I chose Lynetta Kizer over Harper because she was freshman of the year in the ACC and is currently in the WNBA with Indiana.

Reaction Score
Maryland's top 5:

PG - Toliver
SG - Coleman
SF - Thomas
PF - Langhorne
C - Kizer (over Harper)

The first 4 were no brainers. All of them were All Americans and All Stars in the WNBA. I chose Lynetta Kizer over Harper because she was freshman of the year in the ACC and is currently in the WNBA with Indiana.
Where do you think this team would rank?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Duke: PG: Gray SG: Beard SF: Currie PF: Tillis C: EW (Bales and Black deserve mention)

Duke Blue Devils
PG: Lindsey Harding
SG: Alana Beard (NPOY awards; first Duke player to have jersey retired)
SF: Monique Currie
PF: Iciss Tillis
C: Elizabeth Williams

Honorable Mention: Georgia Schweitzer (at either PG, SG, or SF, since she played all three), Chris Moreland (Duke's first dominant post player)

I gave the nod to Harding over Hillary Howard, Georgia Schweitzer, and Chelsea Gray at the point guard position because Harding won NPOY awards in 2007 (plus multiple ACC accolades) and had her jersey retired.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baylor
PG-Odyssey Sims
SG-Suzie Snider Eppers*
SF-Nina Davis
PF-Sophia Young
C-Brittney Griner

*= A major bad ass in her day! Pulled down almost 900 more rebounds & scored 500 more points than Griner.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
University of Southern California
PG- Cheryl Miller
SG-Cynthia Cooper
F-Tina Thompson
F-Paula McGee
C Lisa Leslie
Reserves: G-Sanaa Lathan, F- Pam McGee

Reaction Score
Baylor
PG-Odyssey Sims
SG-Suzie Snider Eppers*
SF-Nina Davis
PF-Sophia Young
C-Brittney Griner

*= A major bad ass in her day! Pulled down almost 900 more rebounds & scored 500 more points than Griner.
I think this team comes in at 5, and bumps Duke down to the sixth spot.

Reaction Score
Maryland's top 5:

PG - Toliver
SG - Coleman
SF - Thomas
PF - Langhorne
C - Kizer (over Harper)

Maryland I would go with:
1- Kristi Toliver
2- Marissa Coleman (If Shatori Walker-Kimbrough has a strong finish, she could push into consideration, Shay Doron could go here based purely on guts and competitive will)
3- Alyssa Thomas
4- Vicky Bullett (Olympian)
5- Crystal Langhorne

I would choose Tianna Hawkins over Kizer and possibly Harper. Harper left the WNBA due to injuries.

UNC
1- Nikki Teasley (one of the all-time great PGs)
2- Ivory Latta
3- Marion Jones
4- Camille Little
5- Erlana Larkins
*Alisha Gray and Diamond DeShields may have been on course to be considered on the perimeter

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right about Abrosimova, truly one of my favorites. Never saw Bascomb play, but I have heard of her. Which of the other all-time teams, if any, do you think could challenge UConn? Not sure about our defense against Teams 2,3 or 4.
After some study time because at my age some facts actually fall into a dark page of can't quite remember. What I was recalling was the incredible stretch of four titles in five years from 99/00 thru 03/04.and the only loss in 9 final four games was to Notre Dame in the 2001 semi finals. A game UConn had to play without Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosmova, two All Americans, UConn would fall to ND. Injuries are a regretable yet real part of the game. And almost every top flight program has lost similar talent so only a statement of there was a great chance UConn would have won 5 in a row had one or both of those girls not been injured. All of that said we sit here on the precipice of the 15/16 season and look forward to a great opportunity for Breanna and Mo to go 4/4. Ain't that a kick in the head.

Reaction Score
OKAY, OKAY. FINAL 8... Agree or disagree about rankings? IMHO, all off these teams are scary, especially the top 4.
1. UConn
PG. Jefferson Bird
SG. DT. KML Sales
W. Maya Ralph
F. BS. Lobo
C. Charles. Wolters

2. University of Southern California
PG- Cheryl Miller
SG-Cynthia Cooper
F-Tina Thompson
F-Paula McGee
C Lisa Leslie

3. Tennessee
1 Jolly, Lawson, Bobbitt
2 Catchings, Head, Hornbuckle
3 Holdsclaw, Gordon, McCray
4 Parker, Ely
5 Charles, Anosike, Snow
3 point shooter Zolman

4. Baylor
PG-Odyssey Sims
SG-Suzie Snider Eppers*
SF-Nina Davis
PF-Sophia Young
C-Brittney Griner

5. Notre Dame
PG. Skylar Ratay
SG. Lloyd
W. Kayla
F. ???
C. Riley

6. Stanford
PG. Starbird?
SG. Wiggins
W. N. Ogwumike
F. C. Ogwumike
C. Appel

7. Maryland
1- Kristi Toliver
2- Marissa Coleman (If Shatori Walker-Kimbrough has a strong finish, she could push into consideration, Shay Doron could go here based purely on guts and competitive will)
3- Alyssa Thomas
5- Crystal Langhorne

TIE FOR 8th

8. UNC
2- Ivory Latta, Alisha Gray
3- Marion Jones Diamond Deshields
4- Camille Little
5- Erlana Larkins8. Duke. PG: Lindsey Harding, Georgia Schweitzer, GraySG: Alana Beard (NPOY awards; first Duke player to have jersey retired)SF: Monique CurriePF: Iciss Tillis

8. Duke. PG: Lindsey Harding, Georgia Schweitzer, GraySG: Alana Beard (NPOY awards; first Duke player to have jersey retired)SF: Monique CurriePF: Iciss Tillis

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not sure who the 5th should be for ND. We need an ND fan with a longer frame of reference than mine.

Creative solution is Beth (Morgan) Cunningham and go small.

Feels like ND's career scoring average leader (2nd to Diggins in total points) should be included, but Loyd and McBride are both hard to drop.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maryland's top 5:

PG - Toliver
SG - Coleman
SF - Thomas
PF - Langhorne
C - Kizer (over Harper)

You seriously cant have a top 5 terp team and leave off Vicky Bullet :confused:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
University of Southern California
PG- Cheryl Miller
SG-Cynthia Cooper
F-Tina Thompson
F-Paula McGee
C Lisa Leslie

That has to be the #1 team.

extra points for sliding Lathan in there. She could start for my team any day :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
OKAY, OKAY. FINAL 8... Agree or disagree about rankings? IMHO, all off these teams are scary, especially the top 4.
1. UConn
PG. Jefferson Bird
SG. DT. KML Sales
W. Maya Ralph
F. BS. Lobo
C. Charles. Wolters

PG- Cheryl Miller
SG-Cynthia Cooper
F-Tina Thompson
F-Paula McGee
C Lisa Leslie

3. Tennessee
1 Jolly, Lawson, Bobbitt
2 Catchings, Head, Hornbuckle
3 Holdsclaw, Gordon, McCray
4 Parker, Ely
5 Charles, Anosike, Snow
3 point shooter Zolman

4. Baylor
PG-Odyssey Sims
SG-Suzie Snider Eppers*
SF-Nina Davis
PF-Sophia Young
C-Brittney Griner

5. Notre Dame
PG. Skylar Ratay
SG. Lloyd
W. Kayla
F. ???
C. Riley

6. Stanford
PG. Starbird?
SG. Wiggins
W. N. Ogwumike
F. C. Ogwumike
C. Appel

7. Maryland
1- Kristi Toliver
3- Alyssa Thomas
5- Crystal Langhorne

TIE FOR 8th

8. UNC
2- Ivory Latta, Alisha Gray
3- Marion Jones Diamond Deshields
4- Camille Little
5- Erlana Larkins8. Duke. PG: Lindsey Harding, Georgia Schweitzer, GraySG: Alana Beard (NPOY awards; first Duke player to have jersey retired)SF: Monique CurriePF: Iciss Tillis

8. Duke. PG: Lindsey Harding, Georgia Schweitzer, GraySG: Alana Beard (NPOY awards; first Duke player to have jersey retired)SF: Monique CurriePF: Iciss Tillis

1) No way can you have Duke behind UNC.. no way.

2) Not sure how you can leave off UVA's top 5 out of any list.

Reaction Score
Tied. Name the players.
Very difficult to include UNC on any list of honor. I do not fault the players who I think in large part were probably used by the school well beyond just playing ball for their scholarship. Foot dragging NCAA should have come down hard on them several years ago. The facts were in and now are only getting worse.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Only one that I know is Staley. Can't put them in the final 8. Who's spot would they take?

Just cause you dont know any of the other players.... doesnt mean that they weren't any good. When exactly did you start to follow WCBB ?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

PG- Cheryl Miller

Considering Miller was not the point guard, but was a collegiate forward, I am not sure how she is ranked at the PG position.

If you want to pick the five best players and have the positions figure themselves out, that is a different ranking (at least in my book). You can have the five best players in history (on a team) or the five best players in history at each position (on a team). Is this list supposed to be the former or the latter? If the latter, Miller should not be listed at a position she did not play.

Reaction Score
Just cause you dont know any of the other players.... doesnt mean that they weren't any good. When exactly did you start to follow WCBB ?
Well, if they were that good, I would have heard of them. You think we should put them in Dukes spot? I really want your input, if you disagree, give me your final 8.
I really only started watching since 96, that's when I fell in love with UConn and started hating Tennessee. I really only watch UConn, in women's BB. I follow just about every sport, football, hockey, women's tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer and golf. I love all things Philly and UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom