Too early 2018-19 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too early 2018-19 Rankings

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how Turner fits into the ND offense. She isn’t as versatile as Westbeld or Shepard

Reaction Score
If that’s your opinion of playing at UConn , you must wonder why anyone chooses to go there in the first place.
Just not true. I'm looking at one isolated situation. We can continue to look at everything thru rose colored glasses or at least open our eyes to other possibilities.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yeah a tough problem for Muffet to deal with LOL

Could definitely affect how Shepard plays though, similar to how the emergence of Stevens impacted Collier's play for much of the season. I'm a firm believer that more talent isn't always better.

Reaction Score
By what date would Z (and Pheesa) have to declare for the draft? Threads like this aren't valuable until after that day.

I think you have to declare within a day or 2 after the championship game. I recalled Allisha Gray saying she had to make a decision right after she got off the plane from winning the national championship.

Reaction Score
I think you have to declare within a day or 2 after the championship game. I recalled Allisha Gray saying she had to make a decision right after she got off the plane from winning the national championship.
Yeah I think the date has passed, but if you’re still playing you have 24 or 48 hours after your last game to declare. We’ll know soon.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Based just on talent in no order .
Baylor, UConn, Notre Dame, Texas, Louisville all have talented rosters.
All those teams should be top ten. Tennessee is talented but young. I think it depends on how this years freshman Davis, Westbrook, Hayes, and Kasi develop over the off season.

Reaction Score
I see Syracuse taking another step forward.

Mangakahia/Salgues
Cooper/Young
Drummond/Sissoko
Strautmane/Engstler
Finklea-Guity/Tabdi

Not sure about all of the other guards they have but Engstler and the French recruits they have are very good.
Kiarra Lewis will also be eligible as well. She transferred from Ohio State. Super talented former top 25 recruit.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yeah I think the date has passed, but if you’re still playing you have 24 or 48 hours after your last game to declare. We’ll know soon.
I am guessing/hoping that some BYers are following Z and Pheesa on that Twitter thingy....

Reaction Score
So, the risk of getting hurt in hard UConn practices to play a perfect game against AAC is worth it ? I hope she stays , but I have my very serious doubts. I hope I'm wrong for our sakes.

Z is still healthy, with no chronic problems. She didn't start at UConn, and she still had some questionable games. I'm guessing that her professional earnings potential would be enhanced with a good season as a starter and AA after her name.

So I'm guessing that she comes back.

Reaction Score
Z is still healthy, with no chronic problems. She didn't start at UConn, and she still had some questionable games. I'm guessing that her professional earnings potential would be enhanced with a good season as a starter and AA after her name.

So I'm guessing that she comes back.
I certainly hope you are right. But one only has to remember Stokes , who didn't start, was drafted and is having a good pro career. I would say Z is ahead of her right now .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But Z said she came to UConn to win a NC. Maybe a second chance next year to do that. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Uhh perhaps you’ve heard of this thing called practice with the UConn coaching staff?
AND arguably the toughest OOC schedule in all of WCBB.... Other conferences are not so deep/competitive either... maybe the SEC with their top 4 or 5 teams...but these things change every year.

Z is happy at UConn...she said so in a recent interview...words to the effect of "I found that place I need to be"... I believe she stays and takes next year to hone her skills... maybe even become NPOY caliber... but of course if she isn't the "pre-ordained" one, then it's a crap shoot. But, I believe she stays, I believe UConn is a VERY good Team next season and competes again for the NC.

Reaction Score
I certainly don't see Pheesa bailing on her good buddy Lou.
Those two came in together, and I'm confident they will go out together.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AND arguably the toughest OOC schedule in all of WCBB.... Other conferences are not so deep/competitive either... maybe the SEC with their top 4 or 5 teams...but these things change every year.

Z is happy at UConn...she said so in a recent interview...words to the effect of "I found that place I need to be"... I believe she stays and takes next year to hone her skills... maybe even become NPOY caliber... but of course if she isn't the "pre-ordained" one, then it's a crap shoot. But, I believe she stays, I believe UConn is a VERY good Team next season and competes again for the NC.
As far as their OOC schedule is concerned, next year will be another “murderers row” for the Huskies that may lineup as even tougher than the last two seasons with road games against ND, Baylor & Louisville, arguably 3 of the top 5 teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Jere Longman wrote about "parity" today, and he's right. But a two-tiered parity. The very best teams are separated from the rest: these five: Notre Dame, Baylor, Connecticut, Oregon, Louisville, Texas. They're all recruiting the best players, and they're beating most everyone else most games. UConn for a couple of years now has not had the greatest recruiting time. Walker disappointed, and I'm sure she would agree. The other three recruits this year, one of which departed, were likewise not up to their rankings. So, too, for the non-Dangerfield recruits a year ago.

Will Crystal and ONO save reverse the trouble in the FF, and compensate for Kia's and Gabby's departure? Will Azure remain? Clearly, we will go into next season without a bench, or with a bench that can only contribute with a major advance in the off-season.

On the other hand, the other top five will arrive with some major talent. The proof of the pudding in terms of parity is what's happened the past couple of years.

We're not guaranteed another romp to the Final Four, and we're not going to be a 3:1 favorite for the championship next year either.

Times have changed.
Well said. I see approx. 10 teams that could all be in the chase throughout the year. Suggest that it will be Geno's strategy regarding how many players play that will determine where UConn is ranked. For two years he has played 6 and while the teams were undefeated in season, both could have had more energy in the semis.

Reaction Score
As far as their OOC schedule is concerned, next year will be another “murderers row” for the Huskies that may lineup as even tougher than the last two seasons with road games against ND, Baylor & Louisville, arguably 3 of the top 5 teams in the country.
I have no problem with a tough schedule. I just hope the bench gets developed even if we lose a couple. John Thompson's old Georgetown teams always lost a few along the way but had a nice deep bench in March. I think grinding the 6 players through 30 plus games really takes it's toll by this time of year. Thanks for all of posts Oldude. I have enjoyed them all season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Amazing that Tennessee with all their splendid recruiting, isn't on anyone's radar.
Waste of good talent

As we used to say in the band...
"Choice not chance, got us in this mess..."
(Set to the West Point pep song).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think you will have to declare a day or 2 after the championship.
The WNBA draft is on April 12. I’m not sure of the deadline for players to declare for it, but I think it is sometime next week, roughly a week before the draft.

I think there is little to no chance that Azura leaves and no chance that Napheesa leaves. We’ll know soon enough.

Z knows how much she has to learn, and I think she wants a championship and to help Pheesa and Lou get another one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Assuming that everyone stays—which I think will happen—I think UConn will be ranked 2, 3, or 4.

ND is likely #1, especially if they win tomorrow.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I guess our hope for a Top 10 ranking next season just flew out the window. Along with a lot of streaks...:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom