Too early 2018-19 Rankings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Too early 2018-19 Rankings

Reaction Score
One thing remains the same, however: the chronic failure of Tennessee to return to the top tier.

For the second tier, Oregon State has arrived, as has UCLA. And the shocking strength of the no-name teams is also a revelation this year.
Oregon State must find an able replacement for Marie Gulich. OSU would have been in the middle of the PAC12 without Marie Gulich. We do get Destiny Slocum next year which will be a HUGE plus for OSU. I'd love for the Texas A&M transfer to show up wearing an OSU uniform next year!

Reaction Score
Revised in light of AZ's departure and further thought
  1. Notre Dame - Return 4 of 5 starters + add 2 injured Fs + 2 top 20 HS recruits
  2. Oregon - Ionescu & Hebard return. Lose Bando but add transfer Boley.V
  3. Baylor - Lose Kristy Wallace & Cohen but Brown, Cox, Morris back + THREE top 5 HS
  4. UConn - Big losses of GW & KN but return 4 of 6
  5. Louisville - Lose Hines-Allen but rest back.
  6. Oregon St - Lose Gulich but add Slocum
  7. Texas - Lose top 2 but next 4 our back + 2 top 10 HS.
  8. Mizzou - Return 5 of top 6
  9. Maryland - Return 4 of 5 starters + top 15 HS
  10. Arizona St - Everyone back.
Next -- Georgia, Miss St, NC State, So Carolina, Stanford, Syracuse, West Virginia
vowelguy, is there anyone else other than you who thinks highly of the PAC12! I was glad to see you include ASU, as they do have everyone back, and, they will be better than last year. I believe they will replace UCLA in the standings. Re: Oregon State, unless we find an able bodied replacement for Gulich's defense, rebounding, blocked shots, and scoring, Oregon State will not finish above 4th place. We will be better at every other position, but in the PAC12, you have to have an able bodied BIG. Joanna Grymek is not that person. Rueck will either need a transfer at the 5, or, a miracle to find someone who can try to fill the 5 spot.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That the Geno that didn't put Stevens in for much of the second half or overtime after she was unstoppable in the 1st half against Notre Dame? Or the one who loses just about every close game his team plays in?

Baylor and Notre Dame have more talent than UConn. Texas is probably close but much of their talent is young like UConn's.

The same Geno who is 188-3 in the past 5 years. He’s not been a great late game coach the last ~10 years, but he’s equal to or better than any other coach in all other areas.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
vowelguy, is there anyone else other than you who thinks highly of the PAC12! I was glad to see you include ASU, as they do have everyone back, and, they will be better than last year. I believe they will replace UCLA in the standings. Re: Oregon State, unless we find an able bodied replacement for Gulich's defense, rebounding, blocked shots, and scoring, Oregon State will not finish above 4th place. We will be better at every other position, but in the PAC12, you have to have an able bodied BIG. Joanna Grymek is not that person. Rueck will either need a transfer at the 5, or, a miracle to find someone who can try to fill the 5 spot.

He’s got 3 girls between 6-7 and 6-9. Might take a bit for them to develop, but Rueck will make it happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd put UCONN 4th or 5th at this time. Preseason they will probably start the year at #2 or 3. We will see. Plenty of time for them to move up or down. NOW would be the time for teams to schedule UCONN, that's for sure!
Now is the time, before we get Boston, Brunelle, Amihere, Jones, Bueckers, Van Lith, Brink, and Fudd. ;)

Reaction Score
He’s got 3 girls between 6-7 and 6-9. Might take a bit for them to develop, but Rueck will make it happen.
I like your positivism bballnut90-thank you. I just know how much Gulich meant to the OSU Team this year. The two (2) incoming freshman are spindly and weak, not to mention, slow. They will have to come far & fast in the pre season. I know the rest of the team will take these young ones under their wing in the summer/fall and progress each of them as far as possible. Fingers crossed. The BIG question is how much of a POSITIVE will Destiny Slocum be for OSU? I was highly impressed with Destiny as a freshman when she played at Maryland. Destiny has practiced with OSU this entire year, so she won't have any ramp on the offense/defense. What we lose in Gulich, we will partially make up in adding a great point guard.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Maybe because we have 2 AA’s back and those teams have 1...pretty simple math. Oh and the best coach in college basketball.

Had no idea that's what determined the quality of teams. Someone tell Mississippi State that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
1) ND
2) UCONN
3) Oregon
4) Baylor
5) Louisville
6) Oregon State
7) Texas
8) Maryland

I'd maybe put Baylor above UConn but otherwise as good a list as any other I've seen.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Oregon will have Ionescu, Sabally, Hebard, Carzola, McGwire, and add Erin Boley. Their offense was special this past year and could be off the charts next.

Louisville will still be stacked and they beat Notre Dame twice this year, leading them by 50 in one game.

Reaction Score
Louisville will still be stacked and they beat Notre Dame twice this year, leading them by 50 in one game.

I will give a polite nod to ND here by saying ours was the first game they had with Mabrey playing at the point; it was sort of cruel timing.

Louisville did redshirt McD's Loretta Kakala this year who is a rebounder deluxe...but was really badly out of shape when she reported. I think we might have gotten a glimpse of what Louisville would field as a regular lineup when they went with the lineup of PGs Arica Carter and Dana Evans, SG Durr, Wing Jaz Jones and Fuehring at center by necessity against MS State triggering their late second quarter run without MHA. Louisville's recruiting class is basically two perimeter players from the State of Kentucky along with a redshirted 2G in Lindsey Duvall (also local). Subsequently it's safe to say Louisville will be very perimeter oriented, even if Kylee Shook is on the floor where she basically is a stretch four.

I think we will factor in the ACC, but Hines-Allen gave us a ton of flexibility with her unique skill set offensively that won't be replaced.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oregon will have Ionescu, Sabally, Hebard, Carzola, McGwire, and add Erin Boley. Their offense was special this past year and could be off the charts next.

I think OU will have a second Sabally.

Reaction Score

Yeah size is an issue but you get an excellent PG in Slocum. Like AA level.

And who would be better? Not UCLA. And I’m not sold on Stanford. McPhee was the key to their turnaround midseason and she’s gone.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

42 was the biggest lead...not quite 50, but still pretty darn impressive.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

And who would be better? Not UCLA. And I’m not sold on Stanford. McPhee was the key to their turnaround midseason and she’s gone.

McPhee slumped during the Pac 12 and NCAA tourneys, but they still won some games. Kiana Williams and Dijonai Carrington both stepped up their game late in the season, and both return. McPhee is certainly a loss, as is Johnson (rebounding and interior D), but they have some pieces in place. Smith was great in the post season, versatile inside/outside post player.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I like your positivism bballnut90-thank you. I just know how much Gulich meant to the OSU Team this year. The two (2) incoming freshman are spindly and weak, not to mention, slow. They will have to come far & fast in the pre season. I know the rest of the team will take these young ones under their wing in the summer/fall and progress each of them as far as possible. Fingers crossed. The BIG question is how much of a POSITIVE will Destiny Slocum be for OSU? I was highly impressed with Destiny as a freshman when she played at Maryland. Destiny has practiced with OSU this entire year, so she won't have any ramp on the offense/defense. What we lose in Gulich, we will partially make up in adding a great point guard.

I think they'll be better than they were this year. Slocum is by far the most talented player to ever play under Rueck. She has the talent to lead them to the Final Four. Other players will improve in the off season like they do every year under Scott. A lot of people expected Oregon State to be down since Syd Wiese graduated. Gulich stepped up big time along with Tudor and Pivec, and they were a really strong team by the end of the year. Other players will rise to the occasion next year.

Side note--if Howard wants to transfer to a school that has a shot to win it all and where she'll get great coaching, she should consider Oregon State. She'd be a perfect fit.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
UCONN is still number 2 in my book. Even without Z, you have 2 All-Americans back, Dangerfield, and two other #1 recruits, plus ONO. UCONN arguably still has more talent than anyone.

Most important, you have Geno coaching the team. I think it’s far fetched to assume that programs like Louisville, Texas or Baylor are going to be better than UCONN. Each program has a well documented history of underachieving and they are consistently out coached and dominated by Geno in head to head matchups. I’ll always choose a well coached team over a team that looks like it has great potential on paper. There’s a reason we consistently see teams like Notre Dame, UCONN, Stanford and Mississippi State in the Final Four while we dont see Baylor or Texas.
I appreciate your thoughts, especially since you are one of the more thoughtful and knowledgeable posters on the board.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Eh, I was wrong. Biggest lead was actually 92-48.

I guess we were both wrong together. Except I was the annoying one correcting your post and still got it wrong ;)Head bang

Reaction Score
ND will be stacked! I am too curious how they rework the offense.
UConn will still be UConn just not as strong as seasons past. However, after watching both freshman in the McDonalds AA game, they got the best recruit. BU will be strong. I didn't expect them to be as good as they were this year. Next year was the year I expected them to be really good. Chou will be back and healthy plus all the new freshman.
Oregon will be back and stronger. I expect final four if they are as good as expected.

Louisville - Not sure what they are losing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Stanford will still be better than Arizona State, imho. Their returning players have a lot more upside than Arizona State's. And their coach is Tara.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND will be stacked! I am too curious how they rework the offense.
UConn will still be UConn just not as strong as seasons past. However, after watching both freshman in the McDonalds AA game, they got the best recruit. BU will be strong. I didn't expect them to be as good as they were this year. Next year was the year I expected them to be really good. Chou will be back and healthy plus all the new freshman.
Oregon will be back and stronger. I expect final four if they are as good as expected.

Louisville - Not sure what they are losing.
The primary loss at Louisville is Hines-Allen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom