Tony Stubblefield Fired | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tony Stubblefield Fired

Reaction Score
Stubblefield is not a great coach but can anyone win a DePaul? I know nothing about their athletic dept. How much support does it get from the university and its donors? What are there facilities like? I get that they could and should be better with a different coach but they seem like a school that doesn’t put a high priority on their bb program

They play at Wintrust arena which was just built a few years ago and is supposed to be pretty nice, but it's not near campus. They are also renovating their existing practice facilities and are currently fundraising to build a brand new stand alone facility by 2026. The past AD was embarrassingly apathetic towards the mens basketball program, the new AD seems to be quite the opposite. If ever there was a time for a big change, now is it!

Rothstein put a rumor out there that people may be surprised by the compensation package they have to offer the next coach. Here's to hoping that's true!

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Bobby Hurley would even consider Depaul? Arizona State isn't the best job but its significantly better than Depaul. This feels like saying UConn Football is targeting Bill Belichick and Nick Saban as the next head coach level of absurdity.
You say ASU isn't the best job and then bring up the made up scenario of Saban leaving Bama for UConn as a comparison.

I get the point you're trying to make but you didn't stick the landing.

How good ASU is and how bad DePaul is won't be the reason Bobby won't consider the job.

Reaction Score
Given that everyone is waiting for Kimani and Luke to spread their wings, what type of jobs will our Assistants be considered for?

Reaction Score
You say ASU isn't the best job and then bring up the made up scenario of Saban leaving Bama for UConn as a comparison.

How good ASU is and how bad DePaul is won't be the reason Bobby won't consider the job.
Might be remembering things incorrectly, but didn't Bobby and Danny say they wouldn't coach vs one another in the same conference?

Reaction Score
Isn’t Bill Murray a Chicago Guy
I believe he started with the 2nd City improv Company with all those Earl SNL huys

Reaction Score

fair enough, I'm prone to hyperbole

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
DePaul needs a young head coach looking to make the next level. Not a long time assistant like the Stubblefield hire. Kleinschmidt coaches DePaul prep HS currently. He's well respected and was a good player for the Demons but the lack of college coaching experience probably knocks him out. Bryan Mullins would be a good hire. He's young and has done pretty well at SIU. He lost his best player Martin Domask (definitely in the top ten of portal transfers this year) to Illinois and still has SIU at 12-7 in the MVC. His dad runs the Illinois Wolves for you AAU folks. Ty Corbin is an interesting suggestion.
When A10 teams in your city are better than you, that is indeed the path. DePaul isn't going to be a power. It needs to become not-awful. Drew Valentine at Loyola-Chicago has a better team than DePaul. Find a young guy who has won at a small school.

Reaction Score
Patrick Sellers - HC CCSU - was DBO at UConn with Calhoun, of course, and an assistant at Creighton with McDermott and DePaul with Leitao. CCSU is actually in first place right now.

Reaction Score
Given that everyone is waiting for Kimani and Luke to spread their wings, what type of jobs will our Assistants be considered for?

My guess is Kimani leaves and Luke stays. Would be awesome to see Kimani somewhere in the A10.

Reaction Score
Assuming he's already been networking in Chicago, Josh Schertz seems like the favorite. 11-20 to 23-13 to 16-3 at Indiana State...after a ton of success in DII...the guy can clearly coach.

Reaction Score
Huggy Bear …
Lol he could take the El to work, wouldn't even need a car.

:oops:

Edit: Didn't he make some anti-catholic remarks about Xavier fans on the radio? This could be awesome, make it happen DePaul!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming he's already been networking in Chicago, Josh Schertz seems like the favorite. 11-20 to 23-13 to 16-3 at Indiana State...after a ton of success in DII...the guy can clearly coach.
Different sport, but DeBoer was also a serial winner in D2 and he turned out pretty good

Reaction Score
This is all I can think of when I hear the name "Ron Hunter"

chair-fail-fall.gif
Maybe they'd like a guy who's willing to get to the floor to get after it! IDK.

Reaction Score
Two names that have been tossed around who I didn't include: Bobby Hurley and Will Wade. With Hurley, two things. No. 1: Look at what Arizona State has been historically and compare that to what he's achieved there. Next guy gonna be better coaching ASU in the Big 12? Doubt it. No. 2: I don't think the Hurley brothers have any desire to coach in the same league. Could be a non-starter. As for Wade, I'm not seeing the fit at all and just because McNeese State hired him doesn't mean a Big East program would be willing so soon after his NCAA issues.

Reaction Score
In the mid 1800s the British built a fort in South Africa to defend against a Boer uprising. Alas they built it in the wrong road facing the wrong direction in an area where there was no potable water. It was known as Fort Mistake.
That was nothing compared to the error the original Big East made in offering membership to DePaul. The Blue Demons sole value was to balance the basketball and football schools. When the NEWBIE was formed it was an opportunity to leave them out and add a team that was just bad, not horrible. The powers in the new league didn’t have the guts to do what needed and should have been done. DePaul has brought zero to the Big East or to the NEWBIE. Last NCAA appearance was 2004 which predates their entry into the Big East. They have been a drain on league resources in a way no other school has. Probably in a way no power conference member has. They have had 2 winning seasons. 1NIT and 1 CBI (you have to pay an entry fee to get in!). They are in no way a D1 program. And they aren’t even an afterthought in Chicago. Awful. It would be better for all concerned to negotiate terms for DePaul to withdraw from the NEWBIE and find a league where they have a chance. We can’t kick them out but maybe we can make it worth their while to just go away. Join the MEAC or the NEC. Maybe they get to an NCAA tournament in 10-20 years. The Fort Mistake of college basketball.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Shertz isn't young at 48 but he knows how to win. Turned a perennial cellar dweller at Indiana st. into the league leader in 3 years. Sounds perfect for DePaul.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wade will have better options, the fit at Louisville is almost too perfect.

My only real question is, does DePaul have the patience for a program builder type? It might be what they need, but I could see them go after a “quick fix” option because they’ve been terrible for so long.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would hope not. Depaul is where coaching careers go to die.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the mid 1800s the British built a fort in South Africa to defend against a Boer uprising. Alas they built it in the wrong road facing the wrong direction in an area where there was no potable water. It was known as Fort Mistake.
That was nothing compared to the error the original Big East made in offering membership to DePaul. The Blue Demons sole value was to balance the basketball and football schools. When the NEWBIE was formed it was an opportunity to leave them out and add a team that was just bad, not horrible. The powers in the new league didn’t have the guts to do what needed and should have been done. DePaul has brought zero to the Big East or to the NEWBIE. Last NCAA appearance was 2004 which predates their entry into the Big East. They have been a drain on league resources in a way no other school has. Probably in a way no power conference member has. They have had 2 winning seasons. 1NIT and 1 CBI (you have to pay an entry fee to get in!). They are in no way a D1 program. And they aren’t even an afterthought in Chicago. Awful. It would be better for all concerned to negotiate terms for DePaul to withdraw from the NEWBIE and find a league where they have a chance. We can’t kick them out but maybe we can make it worth their while to just go away. Join the MEAC or the NEC. Maybe they get to an NCAA tournament in 10-20 years. The Fort Mistake of college basketball.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Reaction Score
As piss poor as the Demon Deacons have been most years dating back to Ray Meyer, we live in interesting times. Think NIL.

NFW DePaul doesn’t have successful alumni and other supporters tired of their team sukcing. Sure, they need a capable head coach, staff, and the practice facilities undergoing enhancements. However, competitive NIL investments could potentially make a massive, quick difference. Or maybe not, time will tell.

Reaction Score
Wade will have better options, the fit at Louisville is almost too perfect.

My only real question is, does DePaul have the patience for a program builder type? It might be what they need, but I could see them go after a “quick fix” option because they’ve been terrible for so long.
They've been comfortable being a millstone around the Big East's neck for decades, not sure why they'd all of a sudden become impatient with a few building seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom