Tony Stubblefield Fired | The Boneyard

Tony Stubblefield Fired

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
200w.gif

Reaction Score
Haven't both Dan & Bobby come out publicly saying they will never coach against each other in the same conference?

I highly doubt that either would turn down a high-paying job regardless of where their sibling is coaching.

That being said, I doubt Bobby wants anything to do with the dumpster fire that is Depaul basketball.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I mean, mid-season? Yeah, I am a little surprised.

Especially since Louisville hasn't canned Payne.

Watching them get absolutely crushed by a Hopkins-less Providence at home in front of dozens of people, I thought to myself, this guy is dead man walking. At a certain point you can't keep a guy. Saw that with the Chargers after the Raiders blew them out.

Louisville has a higher pain tolerance, I guess.

Reaction Score
Watching them get absolutely crushed by a Hopkins-less Providence at home in front of dozens of people, I thought to myself, this guy is dead man walking. At a certain point you can't keep a guy. Saw that with the Chargers after the Raiders blew them out.

Oh, dude was clearly getting the axe. I just don't know what it gets you to do that during the college basketball season rather than during the NFL season.

But, I mean, it was going to (and needed to) happen, so no time like the present...

Reaction Score
I agree with both you and tzzandrew. I am not surprised at all that he got fired, I just thought it would be at the end of the season. Doing it in the middle of the season is surprising. I know he is probably financially doing well, but I feel bad for him. However, he wasn't getting it done there.

There really is no reason for DePaul to be this bad since 2004. They are in a Power 6 conference that is well known and respected for their basketball in the entire country and they are in Chicago where there is an abundance of talent even if they don't get first dibs on the blue chip recruits from the area. Getting the "leftovers" from the area should be more than enough and certainly and allow them to be better than 3-14 or whatever their record is.

Love the gif :D

Reaction Score
Oh, dude was clearly getting the axe. I just don't know what it gets you to do that during the college basketball season rather than during the NFL season.

But, I mean, it was going to (and needed to) happen, so no time like the present...
Who knows for sure why it happened mid season? Maybe some internal strife that we the public don't know?

Reaction Score
I highly doubt that either would turn down a high-paying job regardless of where their sibling is coaching.

That being said, I doubt Bobby wants anything to do with the dumpster fire that is Depaul basketball.
I almost feel an AHC position at UConn is better than the Depaul job.

I want the sideline antics so I'm biased.

Reaction Score

That is the death knell so to speak. When people stop showing up that is a sign of apathy-people don't care about your program or see it as worth their time.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Who knows for sure why it happened mid season? Maybe some internal strife that we the public don't know?

Could be a major donor picked up the phone and said enough is enough. Could be Stubblefield lost the locker room. We don't know.

I just wasn't surprised to read this news, having tuned into that debacle the other night.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That is the death knell so to speak. When people stop showing up that is a sign of apathy-people don't care about your program or see it as worth their time.

Official attendance was 2,889. I'd be surprised if half that many people were there in the 2nd half.

DePaul should be Chicago's premier college team. The potential is there. Why nobody has tapped into it since Joey Meyer got fired is beyond me.

Reaction Score
DePaul needs to find a way to be more competitive. I think Chicago would rally around the program a little bit if they had a reason to. DePaul has had 1 winning season and 18 losing seasons in the Big East. They've only had an overall positive record twice since 2005.

I really do feel like DePaul is a part of the Big East, and I don't love the idea of them going somewhere else, but being the doormat of the conference for so long is not helping the program anymore.

Reaction Score
Official attendance was 2,889. I'd be surprised if half that many people were there in the 2nd half.

DePaul should be Chicago's premier college team. The potential is there. Why nobody has tapped into it since Joey Meyer got fired is beyond me.
I am sure you are reading the official attendance correctly, but whoever gave that attendance to become officially recorded is cooking the books, at least that is what I am betting on. I saw that Providence-DePaul game and I could hear Stubblefield and Kim English loud and clear shouting instructions from their bench.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I am sure you are reading the official attendance correctly, but whoever gave that attendance to become officially recorded is cooking the books, at least that is what I am betting on. I saw that Providence-DePaul game and I could hear Stubblefield and Kim English loud and clear shouting instructions from their bench.

"Official" was doing a lot of work there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom