Tony Stubblefield Fired | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tony Stubblefield Fired

Reaction Score
Perhaps someone with deep Chicago ties is looking for a hobby. Imagine the transfer portal. Geez, of course I'm not serious.

Chicago Bulls Basketball GIF

Reaction Score
next hire will tell a lot about where DePaul's head is at. If they bargain-basement it, maybe time for the heave-ho.

Reaction Score
what has Scheyer done so far that would make someone believe he would have DePaul humming without the pre-built Duke brand him? Wojo didn't even do well at Marquette which had a much better starting position than DePaul did

Scheyer is a putz, I would much rather have Tom Kleinschmidt.

Reaction Score
The question is, would people have been talking about them if they weren't trash?

I see them as being similar to St. John's. They're each technically the flagship program of a big city. There are some diehards and a lot of casuals who get Johnnies fever when the team is good. I have a bunch of friends from Queens who go years without saying anything about SJU and then, bam, Pitino's the coach and all of a sudden we're talking college basketball. SJU has been getting 12K attendance at MSG for BE games. That's not bad.

If DePaul hired a big name and lured some decent transfers, wouldn't basketball fans be interested? I realize DePaul and SJU aren't the same but there are striking similarities.
Big benefit St. John’s has is Repole. He’s a heavy hitter and spending big on NIL. is there a similar DePaul booster? Worth billions and passionate about the university?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
DePaul needs a young head coach looking to make the next level. Not a long time assistant like the Stubblefield hire. Kleinschmidt coaches DePaul prep HS currently. He's well respected and was a good player for the Demons but the lack of college coaching experience probably knocks him out. Bryan Mullins would be a good hire. He's young and has done pretty well at SIU. He lost his best player Martin Domask (definitely in the top ten of portal transfers this year) to Illinois and still has SIU at 12-7 in the MVC. His dad runs the Illinois Wolves for you AAU folks. Ty Corbin is an interesting suggestion.

Reaction Score
Wonder who would want to go there
What about him? Article talks about the pro's and
con's. He said he is happy with where he is now.

Problem is that if he belts a player or worse, University is on the hook for a negligent hire. And, if you think Hurley gets bad calls, what call would this guy get.
No enough mea culpas would help him, IMHO.

caw

Reaction Score
Scheyer is a putz, I would much rather have Tom Kleinschmidt.

Agreed and Scheyer has been underwhelming in development, coaching and pretty much anything not named recruiting. And it’s a vast difference recruiting Ks legacy at Duke vs well anywhere but especially DePaul. It’s arguable Duke has the most, or second most talent in college and it’s not exactly super young talent either and they have one good win against Baylor. He would have been a massive flop at DePaul.

Reaction Score
DePaul has a very tough stretch coming up with Marquette, Creighton, SHU, Xavier. Creighton is the only away game. Maybe interim coach Matt Brady can win a game or two, that would be something.

Or Drew Valentine from Loyola Chicago, or the Big East trades DePaul for Loyola . . .

Reaction Score
Stubblefield is not a great coach but can anyone win a DePaul? I know nothing about their athletic dept. How much support does it get from the university and its donors? What are there facilities like? I get that they could and should be better with a different coach but they seem like a school that doesn’t put a high priority on their bb program

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Big benefit St. John’s has is Repole. He’s a heavy hitter and spending big on NIL. is there a similar DePaul booster? Worth billions and passionate about the university?

DePaul's roster of boosters is not a topic as to which I consider myself an expert. My understanding is that DePaul has struggled to offer NIL money but that could also be a symptom of the boosters not being shown anybody worth offering money to. There's got to be somebody in Chicago who wants to open his checkbook. But DePaul needs to hire someone who can make the rounds and fire up the alumni/boosters.

Reaction Score
DePaul needs to hire somebody that can win a basketball game. Somebody that has won at a place with minimal fan support and no built in recruiting advantages. Someone that has succeeded at multiple spots preferably and has worked their way up.

You're not going to make a splashy hire that will bring in recruits right away, even though you're in Chicago. You're going to need to win first, get recruits second.

Danny Sprinkle, Darian DeVries, Brian Wardle. Someone like that. I know nothing about him, but he's from Illinois and built top 100 winners at 2 non-powers, so I like the idea of Wardle.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Gotta love how the entire board has one poster on ignore without anyone ever hitting the ignore button. Renews my faith in the BY.

Reaction Score
Who knows for sure why it happened mid season? Maybe some internal strife that we the public don't know?
It happened because the team quit on him. Better to do it now and show the few boosters left you still value basketball.

Reaction Score
Is there a 3rd or 4th generation Meyer out there? Barring that, that program will never turn around. With all the cuts and closures of Catholic colleges and universities lately, I'm shocked they still have a program to be honest.

Reaction Score
He’s a good coach - he has McNeese State of the Southland conference 84th in the KenPom with a 13-2 overall record…
My first post about Will Wade was in just, but McNeese State is a team that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.

Let that sink in.

McNesse State, from the perpetually weak Southland Conference, can win a tournament game.

This team was 11-23 last year, 16-2 this year and their non-conference schedule wasn't all cupcakes: KenPom ranks their non-conference as the 84th most difficult in the nation, highlighted with wins over VCU, UAB and Michigan.

Their offense is diverse: they don't make a lot of mistakes (24th lowest turnover rate), have guys who can create their own offense and while they shoot very well from three (41%) they are not reliant on the three-ball (31.2% FGAs are from 3).

Their defense force teams to use a ton of clock, plus they rank in the top-50 in both turnover rate and opp. 2P%.

Long story short, Will Wade has quickly turned McNeese State into one of the very best mid-majors in the nation.

They're on ESPNU right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there a 3rd or 4th generation Meyer out there? Barring that, that program will never turn around. With all the cuts and closures of Catholic colleges and universities lately, I'm shocked they still have a program to be honest.
Umm, look around the Big East.

Reaction Score
My first post about Will Wade was in just, but McNeese State is a team that can win a game in the tournament.

Let that sink in.

McNesse State, from the perpetually weak Southland Conference, can win a tournament game.

This team was 11-23 last year, 16-2 this year and their non-conference schedule wasn't all cupcakes: KenPom ranks their non-conference as the 84th most difficult in the nation, highlighted with wins over VCU, UAB and Michigan.

Their offense is diverse: they don't make a lot of mistakes (24th lowest turnover rate), have guys who can create their own offense and while they shoot very well from three (41%) they are not reliant on the three-ball (31.2% FGAs are from 3).

Their defense force teams to use a ton of clock, plus they rank in the top-50 in both turnover rate and opp. 2P%.

Long story short, Will Wade has quickly turned McNeese State into one of the very best mid-majors in the nation.

They're on ESPNU right now.
If DePaul is really serious about turning around the program they'll open up their checkbook for Will Wade.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
It's the largest Catholic school by enrollment in the country. It is not going anywhere. The school has always run the athletic department like a mom and pop store. It needs some professional management. Chicago is the second biggest market in the Big East and the conference should hope DePaul gets their act together.

Reaction Score
Umm, look around the Big East.
I can give you examples to prove my point too. Catholic schools are struggling financially. That's why I was shocked St. John's wouldn't play us at the Garden. The school can use every dollar.

Reaction Score
I can give you examples to prove my point too. Catholic schools are struggling financially. That's why I was shocked St. John's wouldn't play us at the Garden. The school can use every dollar.
Well I can tell you DePaul isn't going to get rid of their basketball program or close their University. Same goes for all the other Catholic schools in the Big East.

I know, shocking...

Reaction Score
This has Tom Crean written all over it. I hope I’m wrong.

Will Wade should be call 1 (but he could probably get a better job, like Louisville).

Bobby Hurley would be fun, but doubt he’d want to coach against his brother (and Dan has mentioned he would hate to coach against him).
Oh but man it would be entertaining.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There’s only 2 great fit options for DePaul.

1. Unload the war chest for Porter Mosier. He hates Oklahoma anyways. Chicago guy. Proven winner.

2. Dave Leitao. 3rd times a charm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom