Tonight is another test...we are 1-1-1 so far | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tonight is another test...we are 1-1-1 so far

Reaction Score
It’d be a really good, important win. There’s no disagreement there.

Question: What happens to the program if we lose this game tonight?
We have never been good over the last 10 years or so in conference openers. I remember being down 18-1 vs Georgetown in our first Big East game in 2009 which we eventually lost. If we lose tonight, I don’t think the sky is falling, but regardless of the outcome, we still have work to do.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My 2 cents...sorry if I repeat anything others have mentioned.

Although it is not technically a "must win," it will be nearly impossible for us to earn an at-large bid if we lose
tonight. Also, with the yearly changes in college hoops, I wouldn't say it's fair to label tonight a "must win" to gage where we are as a program. Cincy is on the rebound, and we are 2-3 years into a rebound, or process. In that sense, it's surely a "should win."

While I totally agree that we are UCONN (and not Temple), and we should not be satisfied unless we both seriously compete to win our conference AND make the Big Dance, it's been so long since we've done that, that I would probably be content with 20 wins and the NIT, with eyes on the future of the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, it isn’t. Must win implies a loss all but ends our season. It doesn’t. It’s only a “must win” if your speaking on an at-large bid.

It's not a must win because a loss doesn't necessarily end our chances at an at large bid. It just means we need to win a game we expect to lose, like Villanova.

That said it's NCAA tournament or bust. Not making it, whether at large or via the AAC tournament isn't an option. The season is a failure without a bid and will hinder Hurley's chances to continue improving the roster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They shouldn't have to, this is no longer a horrible team who relies on Jalen to win them games. We haven't been outclassed in talent by anyone we've played and outside of a freshman Memphis squad there won't be a conference opponent who will outclass us in talent.

You can call making the NIT a great success but that's not how the team would view things.

It amazes me that nobody seems to look at those three losses objectively. St. Joes was a fluke on their end and ours. We were clearly better than Indiana and really lost due to bad officiating and bad coaching by Hurley, who needed to roll the dice with Gaffney and not play Vital at the point for 20 minutes. Xavier was a very good team, and needed a deep desperation 3 to send us to OT. We didn't even get a strong game from AG and Vital that night either. So, if we were undefeated, which we are very close to being, how would we all be evaluating this team? It's the same team. I view this team as a team that would be 12-0 without some back luck and some issues that have mostly been addressed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's not a must win because a loss doesn't necessarily end our chances at an at large bid. It just means we need to win a game we expect to lose, like Villanova.

That said it's NCAA tournament or bust. Not making it, whether at large or via the AAC tournament isn't an option. The season is a failure without a bid and will hinder Hurley's chances to continue improving the roster.
I fully agree that in order for DH to consistently pull in top shelf recruits the program has to start winning and showing up in the dance starting this season
If this season ends as a 6th place finish in the AAC and only a NIT at best - it would hurt recruitment. UConn got a bump early last year with the NBE announcement, now the rest depends upon the teams on the court result
Would a loss tonight kill the season? No but would put so much pressure on games like Villanova. Also after watching ECU today vs WSU - they could be a handful

Reaction Score
Question: What happens to the program if we lose this game tonight?

Zero long term impact on program.

Near term, resets expectations that we're *probably* a year away from an at-large bid.

I still think we can get one this year with multiple wins over Nova, Witch St. & Memphis, but we will show our true colors tonight

Reaction Score
It amazes me that nobody seems to look at those three losses objectively. St. Joes was a fluke on their end and ours. We were clearly better than Indiana and really lost due to bad officiating and bad coaching by Hurley, who needed to roll the dice with Gaffney and not play Vital at the point for 20 minutes. Xavier was a very good team, and needed a deep desperation 3 to send us to OT. We didn't even get a strong game from AG and Vital that night either. So, if we were undefeated, which we are very close to being, how would we all be evaluating this team? It's the same team. I view this team as a team that would be 12-0 without some back luck and some issues that have mostly been addressed.

i agree being undefeated was within our reach. I think we are our record and lack of focus was probably a common denominator in all losses

Reaction Score
I don’t think you are looking at the losses objectively. You are looking at them with blue glasses. You basically pointed out that we weren’t firing on all cylinders during those losses.

I have news for you, rarely does any team ever fire on all cylinders without having some issue going on, especially early in the season. And you didn’t even mention that other teams were also dealing with their own set of issues.

It’s like playing the victim card and saying oh well I’m broke bc of so and so but not looking at the fact that others are richer bc they figured out how to win and you just didn’t get it done

It’s teams that know how to win despite their issues that are really good teams. We haven’t really done that. We can potentially do it in conference play. We’ll see.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I hope Vital doesn’t try to do too much and is a mess tonight -
i also hope I’m wrong -

Reaction Score
No matter how much you guys want it to be...tournament team, bubble team, 23 win team...it’s the same old Uconn that started 4 years ago. They have come out against Cincinnati like nothing has changed. Like I have said before, Uconn will not get back to being Uconn until the “losers” from the previous regime have graduated. All they know is losing and have never learned how to win. Another example is tonight. They knew they were done from the tip. They never believed...hence the 12-2 start. Good morning, good afternoon, and good night.

Reaction Score
Our upperclassmen have yet to demonstrate they can win a big game. Ever. They’ve done nothing to convince me an at-large bid should be the expectation this season. They have time to prove that. But they haven’t. That’s reality
I mean....

Reaction Score
Awful performance so far. What is wrong with AG? So he’s finally healthy and he’s worse than he was his first few games as a true freshman? He has NO CLUE what to do when he gets in the paint...either overpenetrates and gets blocked or air balls a floater. And he can’t shoot at all from the outside.

I understand DH was trying to defend AG earlier in the season, but he’s simply not defensible right now. Playing putrid basketball.

Reaction Score
No matter how much you guys want it to be...tournament team, bubble team, 23 win team...it’s the same old Uconn that started 4 years ago. They have come out against Cincinnati like nothing has changed. Like I have said before, Uconn will not get back to being Uconn until the “losers” from the previous regime have graduated. All they know is losing and have never learned how to win. Another example is tonight. They knew they were done from the tip. They never believed...hence the 12-2 start. Good morning, good afternoon, and good night.
Vital is playing solo so where is his help?

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Can El Amin get in the game? He has one year of eligibility left he left school as a Junior.

Reaction Score
Carlton- not athletic enough to be a legit high major starter

Gilbert- blind dribbler who can’t finish; general bad decision maker

until gaffney can start and someone takes carlton’s spot, this is what the team is.

Reaction Score
It certainly will. This is the team that is “expected” to get an at large bid? Freaking laughable

Tournament? These players show zero pride in wearing that uniform and each season do their part to help destroy one of the great programs in college basketball. Until that rot is removed nothing else matters.

Reaction Score
But you know since this was a must win we might as well pack our bag folks. Seasons over

Reaction Score
It certainly will. This is the team that is “expected” to get an at large bid? Freaking laughable
I think this team can get an at large bid but not what I was referring to. Is our season over because we lost today?

Edit: ignore me, I think you were arguing the opposite

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom