Tonight is another test...we are 1-1-1 so far | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tonight is another test...we are 1-1-1 so far

Reaction Score
I’d like to see offensive looks going to Carlton early and often. He will have a tough matchup against Vogt but I’m hoping Carlton can get off to a good start and get Vogt in early foul trouble and out of the game thus opening up the inside even more.

Our bench is more talented and we can go deeper with getting quality minutes from them.
I think our depth will propel us to a win. If not with points, then by getting the quality minutes and wearing down Cincy and keeping our starters more refreshed.

Reaction Score
If they can get the offense going without Alterique having to penetrate, they win.

Reaction Score
That's some strange thinking right there.
No, it isn’t. Must win implies a loss all but ends our season. It doesn’t. It’s only a “must win” if your speaking on an at-large bid.

Reaction Score
what else would we be hoping for?
A successful season. After finishing below .500 the last 2 seasons an NIT bid or making the tournament by winning our conference tournament would be a great success. Which makes winning this game not a necessary for a successful season. Going into this game labeling it a “must win” is a set up for disappointment.

Reaction Score
Must win implies a loss all but ends our season. It doesn’t. It’s only a “must win” if your speaking on an at-large bid.

rightttt. this is a must win because a loss all but ends the season, i.e., no more hope of an at-large bid (because we are all still hoping for an at-large bid)

Reaction Score
rightttt. this is a must win because a loss all but ends the season, i.e., no more hope of an at large bid (because we are all still hoping for an at-large bid)
That doesn’t end our season........this mindset is why the boneyard is so bi polar. If we lose I fully expect multiple “the sky is falling” threads. You’re all setting yourselves up. This group is still learning how to win. Temper your expectations and hope for the best

Reaction Score
A successful season. After finishing below .500 the last 2 seasons an NIT bid or making the tournament by winning our conference tournament would be a great success. Which makes winning this game not a necessary for a successful season. Going into this game labeling it a “must win” is a set up for disappointment.
Disagree. I think as UConn fans we should only label "successful" as at least making the NCAA tournament if not making a deep run. We aren't Temple fans here. An NIT bid and an over .500 record would not be a "successful season", I'd probably label it as encouraging, but this is UConn, we measure success by banners. Don't lose sight of that.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I think as UConn fans we should only label "successful" as at least making the NCAA tournament if not making a deep run. We aren't Temple fans here. An NIT bid and an over .500 record would not be a "successful season", I'd probably label it as encouraging, but this is UConn, we measure success by banners. Don't lose sight of that.
Understanding circumstance and process is not losing sight of anything. An at-large bid would be awesome and I’m still optimistic. But going into this season that was not the barometer for success. When you ignore reality and process you set yourself up for disappointment

Reaction Score
No team we've played has looked better than us, we have a bunch of veterans, and 2 freshmen who will be nba players...clearly, making the NIT would be a great success!!!

Reaction Score
Understanding circumstance and process is not losing sight of anything. An at-large bid would be awesome and I’m still optimistic. But going into this season that was not the barometer for success. When you ignore reality and process you set yourself up for disappointment
So moral of the story: never set high bars

Reaction Score
No team we've played has looked better than us, we have a bunch of veterans, and 2 freshmen who will be nba players...clearly, making the NIT would be a great success!!!
After finishing 16-17 last season....absolutely. Lmaoo, this isn’t complicated

Reaction Score
No, set realistic bars. And always strive for the highest
I feel like an at large bid with this roster is as realistic as it gets. Lofty goal? Sure. But I'm not going to be jumping up and down at an NIT bid when nobody in our conference at the moment is close to unbeatable.

Reaction Score
I feel like an at large bid with this roster is as realistic as it gets. Lofty goal? Sure. But I'm not going to be jumping up and down at an NIT bid when nobody in our conference at the moment is close to unbeatable.
Our upperclassmen have yet to demonstrate they can win a big game. Ever. They’ve done nothing to convince me an at-large bid should be the expectation this season. They have time to prove that. But they haven’t. That’s reality

Reaction Score
Again, your thinking is really strange.
The idea of process is strange? Cool. You believe a successful season for this team is an at large bid. I disagree. It’s a difference in opinion/expectation. Nothing “strange” about it.

Reaction Score
Our upperclassmen have yet to demonstrate they can win a big game. Ever. They’ve done nothing to convince me an at-large bid should be the expectation this season. They have time to prove that. But they haven’t. That’s reality
They shouldn't have to, this is no longer a horrible team who relies on Jalen to win them games. We haven't been outclassed in talent by anyone we've played and outside of a freshman Memphis squad there won't be a conference opponent who will outclass us in talent.

You can call making the NIT a great success but that's not how the team would view things.

Reaction Score
Aside from the "must win" in terms of an at large bid, this is also must win in terms of where our program is and where it is headed.
Cincinnati has been our white whale, a road win against a struggling team here would really represent a turning of the page for our program. I think it'd spark some confidence in our guys, especially guys like Polley, CV, AG, and other upperclassmen who have yet to beat Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
They shouldn't have to, this is no longer a horrible team who relies on Jalen to win them games. We haven't been outclassed in talent by anyone we've played and outside of a freshman Memphis squad there won't be a conference opponent who will outclass us in talent.

You can call making the NIT a great success but that's not how the team would view things.
I’d be disappointed if they did. They shouldn’t view it that way. But as for myself, a fan? I’d be more than happy if we won 20-22 games and made a run in the NIT. That’d be Significant progress and would set us up for a run next season. Teams that make NIT runs routinely make NCAA tournament runs the next season. Hinging our entire season on this one game is nuts in my opinion. But to each his own.

However hilarious this may be, I have us winning tonight

Reaction Score
Aside from the "must win" in terms of an at large bid, this is also must win in terms of where our program is and where it is headed.
Cincinnati has been our white whale, a road win against a struggling team here would really represent a turning of the page for our program. I think it'd spark some confidence in our guys, especially guys like Polley, CV, AG, and other upperclassmen who have yet to beat Cincinnati.
It’d be a really good, important win. There’s no disagreement there.

Question: What happens to the program if we lose this game tonight?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom