Tom Izzo Out of Control | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo Out of Control

Reaction Score
You can’t pull a woody Hayes though.

Winston prevented that from happening
Give me a break. Pull a Woody Hayes?!??

Have people even watched the Izzo video?
I can't stand the guy but this is all so stupid and blown out of proportion.

Reaction Score
When I started this thread it wasn’t about coaches being tough on their players or even yelling and screaming at them which Calhoun was famous for, we know they all do that but Izzo was out of control. He was but he’s too small a person to admit it. He hurt no one, so fine. Short story. I’m from Schenectady NY and went to Pat Riley’s HS games. His coach was Walt Pryzbylo a great coach who Pat went to school on with coaching technique always stressing teamwork, sportsmanship, practice dedication etc. (his next coach was Adolph Rupp and I’m sure he taught him some stuff.) Riley says that Przybylo was the greatest influence in his life because he got him in 9th grade when Riley was leaning toward being a hood what with cigs rolled up his sleeve. Pryzbylo nipped that in the bud and got him on the right path in hoops. During games Pryzbylo would call a timeout with the players sitting in a circle on the court him in the middle and scream at the top of his lungs. His head turned bright red and it looked like it was going to completely blow it off his neck. We thought he would kill them. Nothing has changed in 50 + years, it was blocking out and rebounding. As a kid we were scared for the players but Pryz as he was called always caught himself. Pryzbylo later died at age 49 of a heart attack. No one got hotter than Riley’s coach, not Izzo not Calhoun, no one. Riley learned and channeled it differently. It worked. He’s twice the coach Izzo is.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I read all 7 pages before watching the video. Am I missing something? Calhoun would do something like this once a game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You can’t pull a woody Hayes though.

Winston prevented that from happening

Course not. There's definitely a point you don't cross. I don't think it's that well defined, but pulling a Woody, or a Bob Knight, or an R Lee Emery on his arse, are all non starters.

For the record, Izzo was never throwing a punch. He's uber competitive, but when push comes to shove, he's soft. Doesn't have it in him. That's my read anyway.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom