TODAY!!!! SCar at NC State 5:00 EST ESPN | The Boneyard

TODAY!!!! SCar at NC State 5:00 EST ESPN

Reaction Score
Sick of meaningless exhibition threads. Let's talk about this year's "Tip Off Classic" in Raleigh NC. Two teams that have Final Four potential. Add atricles, comments, predictions arguments etc. I guess it will be shut down during the game.

Tuesday 11/09/2021
5:00 pm: ESPN

Jada Boyd injured and out for pack: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article254973172.html

VISITORS:

Laeticia Amihere15F6' 4"JRMississauga, AB
Brea Beal12G6' 1"JRRock Island, IL
Aliyah Boston4F6' 5"JRSt. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Kamilla Cardoso10C6' 7"SOMontes Claros, Brazil
Zia Cooke1G5' 9"JRToledo, OH
Sania Feagin20F6' 3"FREllenwood, GA
LeLe Grissett24G6' 2"SRDurham, NC
Bree Hall23G6' 0"FRDayton, OH
Destanni Henderson3G5' 7"SRFort Myers, FL
Raven Johnson25G5' 8"FRAtlanta, GA
Destiny Littleton11G5' 9"SRSan Diego, CA
Saniya Rivers44G6' 1"FRWilmington, NC
Eniya Russell2G6' 1"SOBaltimore, MD
Victaria Saxton5F6' 2"SRRome, GA
Olivia Thompson0G5' 8"JRLexington, SC
Elysa Wesolek32F6' 1"SRCharleston, SC

NC State Wolfpack Roster​

Team Roster

NamePOSHTClassBirthplace
Jada Boyd5F6' 2"JRPetersburg, VA
Jakia Brown-Turner11F6' 0"JROxon Hill, MD
Genesis Bryant1G5' 6"SOJonesboro, GA
Kai Crutchfield3G5' 9"SRRaleigh, NC
Elissa Cunane33C6' 5"SRSummerfield, NC
Sophie Hart32C6' 5"FRFarmington, MN
Madison Hayes21G6' 0"SOChattanooga, TN
Camille Hobby41C6' 1"JRJacksonville, FL
Aziaha James10G5' 9"FRVirginia Beach, VA
Diamond Johnson0G5' 5"SOPhiladelphia, PA
Kayla Jones25F6' 1"SRJamesville, NC
Kendal Moore15G5' 6"JRFayetteville, NC
Raina Perez2G5' 4"SRGoodyear, AZ
Jessica Timmons23G5' 8"FRCharlotte, NC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
that should be a great game although a bit crazy to play it so early in the season.............a shame Boyd is out..........NC St shouldn't be taken lightly.......

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Snooze and Observer needs to get Laeticia's home province correct; Mississauga is a suburb of Toronto...in Ontario, not Alberta.
Wow, that's a fairly massive error. How in the world would a suburb of Toronto be mistaken for being in one of the westernmost provinces? Only off by several thousand kilometers.

edit--that would kinda be like saying a suburb of Chicago was in Montana. :eek:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hope to see some wolves feast on some grilled chicken on tuesday, gotta represent for the Triangle.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's a fairly massive error. How in the world would a suburb of Toronto be mistaken for being in one of the westernmost provinces? Only off by several thousand kilometers.

edit--that would kinda be like saying a suburb of Chicago was in Montana. :eek:
The distance may be massive, but not the error. Just a mistake and nothing life-altering.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What I find most intriguing is the Cunnane-Boston matchup. If Cunnane can play well, she would get more respect for the 1st Team AA consideration. She is still underappreciated by the National media. The more big games that NC State plays, the better for this team to build upon for the NCAAT. Let's face it, the conference play will only have Louisville as a legitimate contender for them and I think they are still way behind State so games like this will test their mettle.

Reaction Score
that should be a great game although a bit crazy to play it so early in the season.............a shame Boyd is out..........NC St shouldn't be taken lightly.......

Hmm. Let's see . . .. Top five team. Beat us last year on our court. Got a load out of the transfer portal.

I don't think anybody is taking them lightly.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
What I find most intriguing is the Cunnane-Boston matchup. If Cunnane can play well, she would get more respect for the 1st Team AA consideration. She is still underappreciated by the National media. The more big games that NC State plays, the better for this team to build upon for the NCAAT. Let's face it, the conference play will only have Louisville as a legitimate contender for them and I think they are still way behind State so games like this will test their mettle.
Virginia Tech has become a pretty significant rival to NC State in recent seasons. Although the Wolfpack Women have dominated the series, we have had to work to beat Virginia Tech. I wouldn't say Louisville is the only serious contender.

Reaction Score
Hmm. Let's see . . .. Top five team. Beat us last year on our court. Got a load out of the transfer portal.

I don't think anybody is taking them lightly.
You sure know them but I think they are somewhat of an unknown quantity to many not familiar with ACC WBB......I'd bet many here have no idea who Elissa Cunane is......

Reaction Score
You sure know them but I think they are somewhat of an unknown quantity to many not familiar with ACC WBB......I'd bet many here have no idea who Elissa Cunane is......
I'd think most do, but maybe you are right.

Reaction Score
I have been considering rewatching last year's game, but the box score is bad enough.

Teams combined to shoot 28% from the floor.

LeLe Grissette is about the only Gamecoxk to have a good offensive game, but I think some offensive fouls got her in trouble. She fouled out anyway.

Reaction Score
6-5 Cunane is clearly the top big for the Pack. Then there is 6-5 freshman Sophie Hart. That's....pretty much it. 6-2 Jada Boyd appears to be out for the game, and she was a major post presence for the Wolfpack last season. There's 6-1 "Center" Camille Hobby, but she may be a bit overwhelmed.

Kayla Jones was a strong rebounder for them last season - she suffered a knee injury, but returned for some minutes in their exhibition but only played very limited minutes (9:49) with 2 pts on 1-2 shooting, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 steal. Hart played 10:33 minutes and scored 2 pts on 1-2 shooting, and 0 rebounds.

So the question for the season-opening game against South Carolina that will be watched: what kind of help in the post will Cunane get against Boston, Cardoso, Saxton, and Amihere? And should Cunane fall into foul trouble, how will that impact her team's ability to defend the Gamecock front court?

Also, it appears based on the above that the Wolfpack will emphasize a strong perimeter offense. Diamond Johnson showed at least in the exhibition game that she's serious about establishing herself as an offensive go-to player for State, but there are several other guards who will make their mark in this game. So the next question: can the Gamecock perimeter defense harrass the Wolfpack's backcourt players, placing more pressure on Cunane and any other post players to step up?

Last season, Cunane scored 14 pts on 3-13 shooting, with 6 boards, and 4 blocks. She was 8-8 at the free throw line, which accounted for the king's share of her scoring. Jones led the team with 16 pts on 6-13 shooting, and 12 rebounds. W Jakia Brown-Turner - who also returns - also had 12 boards to go with 11 pts. She shot 5-19.

Bad shooting was generously distributed all around, and the Gamecocks made out like bandits - Boston scored 9 pts on 4-14 shooting, with 9 rebounds. Cooke scored 11 pts on 4-18 shooting. Henderson scored 2 pts on 1-13 (ouch) shooting, with 7 rebounds and 6 assists. Amihere scored 11 pts on 5-16 shooting, with 15 rebounds. Overall the Gamecocks were poor at the charity stripe, shooting 4-11.

It was one of the uglier games of the season for Dawn Staley's team. Will this game also be as ugly, being the season opener for both squads? Another question....

Reaction Score
6-5 Cunane is clearly the top big for the Pack. Then there is 6-5 freshman Sophie Hart. That's....pretty much it. 6-2 Jada Boyd appears to be out for the game, and she was a major post presence for the Wolfpack last season. There's 6-1 "Center" Camille Hobby, but she may be a bit overwhelmed.

Kayla Jones was a strong rebounder for them last season - she suffered a knee injury, but returned for some minutes in their exhibition but only played very limited minutes (9:49) with 2 pts on 1-2 shooting, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 steal. Hart played 10:33 minutes and scored 2 pts on 1-2 shooting, and 0 rebounds.

So the question for the season-opening game against South Carolina that will be watched: what kind of help in the post will Cunane get against Boston, Cardoso, Saxton, and Amihere? And should Cunane fall into foul trouble, how will that impact her team's ability to defend the Gamecock front court?

Also, it appears based on the above that the Wolfpack will emphasize a strong perimeter offense. Diamond Johnson showed at least in the exhibition game that she's serious about establishing herself as an offensive go-to player for State, but there are several other guards who will make their mark in this game. So the next question: can the Gamecock perimeter defense harrass the Wolfpack's backcourt players, placing more pressure on Cunane and any other post players to step up?

Last season, Cunane scored 14 pts on 3-13 shooting, with 6 boards, and 4 blocks. She was 8-8 at the free throw line, which accounted for the king's share of her scoring. Jones led the team with 16 pts on 6-13 shooting, and 12 rebounds. W Jakia Brown-Turner - who also returns - also had 12 boards to go with 11 pts. She shot 5-19.

Bad shooting was generously distributed all around, and the Gamecocks made out like bandits - Boston scored 9 pts on 4-14 shooting, with 9 rebounds. Cooke scored 11 pts on 4-18 shooting. Henderson scored 2 pts on 1-13 (ouch) shooting, with 7 rebounds and 6 assists. Amihere scored 11 pts on 5-16 shooting, with 15 rebounds. Overall the Gamecocks were poor at the charity stripe, shooting 4-11.

It was one of the uglier games of the season for Dawn Staley's team. Will this game also be as ugly, being the season opener for both squads? Another question....
We lost that game at the free throw line. We improved as the season progressed it we were horrible at the stripe early

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Hope to see some wolves feast on some grilled chicken on tuesday, gotta represent for the Triangle.
Those wolves are gonna get salmonella. Sal Monella is one tough dude.

Reaction Score
Did rewatch most of this one.

Ugh. Two strong defenses and offenses that were not firing on all cylinders to say the least.

South Carolina seemed winded a fair amount. Boston perhaps the most. She and cunane were physical and played to something like a draw as neither was particularly to standard.

A typically maddening Amihere game. So much talent, so little awareness.

South Carolina kept losing Kayla Jones.

And while there wasn't great ball movement and there were plenty of questionable decisions, South Carolina missed a lot of good looks and makeable shots in the paint.

This was a good reminder of the lack of depth of scoring and floor spacing that hurt last year's team.

It got better as Cooke and Henderson played much better.

Reaction Score
Did rewatch most of this one.

Ugh. Two strong defenses and offenses that were not firing on all cylinders to say the least.

South Carolina seemed winded a fair amount. Boston perhaps the most. She and cunane were physical and played to something like a draw as neither was particularly to standard.

A typically maddening Amihere game. So much talent, so little awareness.

South Carolina kept losing Kayla Jones.

And while there wasn't great ball movement and there were plenty of questionable decisions, South Carolina missed a lot of good looks and makeable shots in the paint.

This was a good reminder of the lack of depth of scoring and floor spacing that hurt last year's team.

It got better as Cooke and Henderson played much better.
They looked completely clueless that game. Hoping this year is different. I noticed NC State is more guard heavy especially with Jada Boyd out. Brown-Turner started at the four and Jones played very little. I think we establish our bigs early and try to get Cunane in foul trouble.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That was an early season game and we had a very young team without a lot of depth; I think they ended up being pretty good by February.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I have been considering rewatching last year's game, but the box score is bad enough.

Teams combined to shoot 28% from the floor.

LeLe Grissette is about the only Gamecoxk to have a good offensive game, but I think some offensive fouls got her in trouble. She fouled out anyway.
Miserable game offensively from what I can remember. Literally sick to my stomach watching how poor we were on offense. I would avoid if possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom