Reaction Score
Quality rant ADub.
qedwoo.jpg
'Thank you Chuck Norris' (Dodgeball)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
wut?
Shonn Miller was arguably the most underrated power forward in the country that year. Jalen Adams was coming off the bench. Sterling Gibbs averaged 20 pts a game at a Big East school the year before he transferred. We had Daniel Hamilton as well, and Purvis and Brimah hadn't fallen off the ledge yet, and Omar Calhoun finally decided to play like he did his freshmen year. So yea, we should have done way better than the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
@businesslawyer I think that golden state vs bulls fits your question to a t.

I feel like our basketball program should be run like a top tier SEC Football program. Top 25 every year.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller was arguably the most underrated power forward in the country that year. Jalen Adams was coming off the bench. Sterling Gibbs averaged 20 pts a game at a Big East school the year before he transferred. We had Daniel Hamilton as well, and Purvis and Brimah hadn't fallen off the ledge yet, and Omar Calhoun finally decided to play like he did his freshmen year. So yea, we should have done way better than the 2nd round.

Dude ur shot. I like Miller he had a good season but he couldn't even play with the bigs of Kansas. Gibbs did not average 20 points a game at Seton Hall and once again was not a point guard and was very limited offensively. I'm not even gonna touch the downfalls and limitations of Purvis, Brimah and Calhoun especially Calhoun WOW.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Dude ur shot. I like Miller he had a good season but he couldn't even play with the bigs of Kansas. Gibbs did not average 20 points a game at Seton Hall and once again was not a point guard and was very limited offensively. I'm not even gonna touch the downfalls and limitations of Purvis, Brimah and Calhoun especially Calhoun WOW.
Duh, it's Kansas and he was 6'6". The point is that we shouldn't have been a 9 seed facing Kansas in the second round.

Reaction Score
Duh, it's Kansas and he was 6'6". The point is that we shouldn't have been a 9 seed facing Kansas in the second round.

We were an 8 seed I believe the '14 team was a 7 seed that's the way it is the AAC gets no respect. They were in a position to get the upset and advance Kansas was better it happens. That was not a FF team didn't have the guards.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We were an 8 seed I believe the '14 team was a 7 seed that's the way it is the AAC gets no respect. They were in a position to get the upset and advance Kansas was better it happens. That was not a FF team didn't have the guards.
Sure, the AAC burned us but we finished 5th dude. 5th. In a league we should have won.

Reaction Score

I get your point, but Gibbs averaged 16 as a Senior at Seton Hall, not 20. As others have said, no need to exaggerate the perceived or real shortcomings of the past 3 plus seasons.

Reaction Score
Sure, the AAC burned us but we finished 5th dude. 5th. In a league we should have won.

We did we won the tournament and yes got helped by SMU being banned but we beat them in Hartford during reg season. It wasn't a great year but it was a good year let it go. The '14 team finished 4th or 5th in AAC and didn't win conf tourney.

Reaction Score
It is not even so much Uconn performing the way they are. That alone is no issue on its own because most teams not named Duke have down years. But performing this way in the AAC stings. Performing this way (last year) in the ACC or B10 would be much less of an issue. Chalk it up to bad luck. I also think it is terribly unfair that Uconn, as of 2017, is STILL unfairly relegated to the AAC compared to other teams that spend tons of time in the cellar in both major sports in the P5 like Rutgers and BC. Come on. Ollie would have much more success with Uconn in the P5, no doubt, (the same can be said for many coaches). Any way, my setting remains on cautiously optimistic. But I think I might upgrade to very cautious soon and hope I do not have to add a somewhat before the optimistic.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So this is KO's record:

1. Comes in to take over a short handed team with no expectations at the last minute, facing a post-season ban, and keeps them in the last Big East title race all year long somehow.

2. Wins national championship. While folks are complaining about regular season losses.

3. Has letdown/rebuilding year after national championship. Like we had even under the great one in years like '10 and '12. Terrible year but hardly shocking or problematic.

4. Has perfectly acceptable year, with conference tournament championship and getting to round of 32 in Tourney.

5. Has terrible year where we lose 3 players -- potentially 2 of our best 3 players -- for basically entire season, and have to fight through other injuries and illnesses with a roster of 7 and a half players, 3.5 of whom could only handle the ball in the paint. Yes, we got off to an unprecedently bad start before the injuries hit -- blame KO for a bad November.

6. Are 6-2, which is where we expected to be before knowing the injuries we'd be fighting through.

If you lay that out as a record, and looked at someone elses's coach doing that, you would think people calling for his head are just dumb. So why would that not be the analysis here?

BizLaw - that's a great list and one that's been explained in bits and pieces numerous times
But save your time and energy - the people to whom you are replying to are going to continue and bash - it's ok
Misery loves company, I have decided to stay out the chats on my phone during games and am watching more from my seat- it's turned into a cesspool of people who probably never dribbled a ball competitively or coached at any level but profess HoF knowledge.
KO has his faults and if its bad enough I have no doubt the AD will handle it accordingly.
I don't care if folks sometimes criticize, I do on occasion, but why some come on to every thread and bash and jab - I don't get it - just look at this thread - the pattern is so evident from the usual folks.
Its' a free world and an open board (to some extent) so let it be..................................
What I do find funny is during the 2013-14 season, the same folks were bashing KO and some on the team when there were some ups and down BUT when Boat threw that ball in the air and the confetti was falling in red white and blue - the bashers were extolling superlatives upon KO and some of the other targets

Thanks August West for the opening thoughts - IMHO -it was overdue

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We did we won the tournament and yes got helped by SMU being banned but we beat them in Hartford during reg season. It wasn't a great year but it was a good year let it go. The '14 team finished 4th or 5th in AAC and didn't win conf tourney.
Yea, in 2014 Louisville was in the conference and Cincy, Memphis, and SMU were all ranked. That was an entirely different conference.

Reaction Score
2016 is sort of a perfect reason for why ko should be Fired. It was a decent season (although i would argue we underachieved a bit).

But what used to be a down year for the program (rd 32 exit) is now something we would all consider a massive success. That kind of says all you need to know about where the program has gotten under ko.

And this is why people believe Huskies fans are spoiled. First, he didn't say it was a massive success. He called it ACCEPTABLE. Big difference. But more than that, most good P5 basketball schools only have occasional runs in the NCAA tournament. It's just not a regular thing.

Reaction Score
And that, along with the buyout, is the reason to be patient. This has not, primarily, been a recruiting issue. Our class that entered a year ago was great on paper. This falls class would have been fine if someone who committed to us early and took us out of the running for other candidates didn't bail at the last minute. We had a top 2 or 3 center recruit blow up his life after verballing to us, and a potential lottery pick tell us privately he'd come and then back out of Kentucky.

There is plenty to criticize KO for. Even if you weren't dealing the the impossibility of satisfying folks when you replace Jim Calhoun. But one should be more worried about whether he'll ever be a good x and o's guy than whether he can be a good recruiter.

I’m with you on the Fire Ollie hysteria, but you lost me on the recruiting. If I’m reading this correctly, you’re citing three recruits who never showed up on campus as examples of his recruiting prowess. I’m not sure we should be celebrating near misses. If you look at the number of top tier players he actually got to go to, and stay at UConn (give him credit for DHam, AG, and Wilson) vs. the misses, there’s plenty of room for criticism in recruiting - especially considering UConn isn’t that far removed from a National Championship. It’s one thing to lose out to Duke and Kentucky, but when Creighton, Xavier, Providence, and WKU have better recruiting classes than UConn, it might be worth a bit of introspection.

Reaction Score
And this is why people believe Huskies fans are spoiled. First, he didn't say it was a massive success. He called it ACCEPTABLE. Big difference. But more than that, most good P5 basketball schools only have occasional runs in the NCAA tournament. It's just not a regular thing.

Acceptable and decent are synonyms. They literally mean the exact same thing. And yet you attack me as if i said we were pathetic.

Why do people on here think that “decent” means “awful”.

Reaction Score
I’m with you on the Fire Ollie hysteria, but you lost me on the recruiting. If I’m reading this correctly, you’re citing three recruits who never showed up on campus as examples of his recruiting prowess. I’m not sure we should be celebrating near misses. If you look at the number of top tier players he actually got to go to, and stay at UConn (give him credit for DHam, AG, and Wilson) vs. the misses, there’s plenty of room for criticism in recruiting - especially considering UConn isn’t that far removed from a National Championship. It’s one thing to lose out to Duke and Kentucky, but when Creighton, Xavier, Providence, and WKU have better recruiting classes than UConn, it might be worth a bit of introspection.

Didn't we go through this recently? This summer we looked at the recruiting rankings of teams like the ones you mentioned and we determined that these teams are not outrecruiting us consistently during Ollie's tenure.

The problem is, the program has experienced turmoil. Even the class that was in the top 10 (something none of those schools you listed have achieved recently) ended up blowing up when 2 players transferred.

Reaction Score
Should have been a FF team that year. Way too talented of a team to be a 9 seed.

Final 4 teams usually have at least one NBA player.

No player from that team is in the NBA.

Championship teams have 2 NBA players the vast majority of the time.

Reaction Score
Sandusky, you're on a real roll lately.
Calling someone a child predator? Even low for you, which says that since you are now the joke of the BY.

I hope you got enough attention today, I know how desperately you need it.

Reaction Score
Calling someone a child predator? Even low for you, which says that since you are now the joke of the BY.

I hope you got enough attention today, I know how desperately you need it.
Old man Sandusky needs correspondence classes, your writing is atrocious.

Reaction Score
Old man Sandusky needs correspondence classes, your writing is atrocious.
Ah, picking on a typo now Kapernick, desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

With your writing skills you would think you wouldn’t need to drive around Avon and West Hartford looking at the big homes in awe, you would be living in one of them. Too bad.

Reaction Score
Ok, Mr. Welch.
The offer to put up the dinero and have an intermediary hold it was there and you never took it. We've both been advised not to talk about it anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom