TN over ND | Page 10 | The Boneyard

TN over ND

Reaction Score
Perhaps McGraw needs to consider benching a couple of the starters until they get with the program about running her disciplined offense, instead of free-lancing it. Seems had they stayed the course they would have at least kept pace with the Lady Vols in the 4th and been in a better position to take the win. 7 points in the 4th quarter? - Yeesh! A classic case of letting a less talented team hang around long enough.

I'm curious about the fouls situation - it appeared Tenn had a passel of fouls to give in the final 10 seconds to use to whittle the clock & impede ND's final play attempt.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
There's a difference between inconsistent (which TN is) and bad.

The difference lies with how into the game Diamond DeShields is mentally.

When it comes to team play no there isn't. Inconsistent is bad.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
wtf happened in those last 11 seconds? Was UT deliberately fouling anyone who touched the ball or what? (I could not see the game down here.)

Reaction Score
Well, that sucked. Just a total disaster of a 4th quarter. No other way to put it. ND just collapsed.

Everything that could go wrong did. Couldn't make shots. Couldn't get defensive rebounds. Poor decision making. Fouled too much.

I'm sure some of it was Tennessee defensive adjustments but I don't know what happened to the offense in the 2nd half. After the slow start, it looked great for most of the first half. Just stopped running the offense properly in the 4th quarter.

To credit Tennessee, they did a great job of amping up their defensive pressure without fouling in the 2nd half. I might suggest that some of those plays would have been called differently at a neutral site or in South Bend.
Just look at the free-throw disparity. ND 6-9, TN 14-22. Big difference in a 2 point game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good Win for Lady Vols. They played some great defense in the 4th quarter without fouling. Having 3 fouls to give with 7 seconds left in the game disrupted ND's final possession and they didn't get a good shot to tie or win game. Surprising with the guards ND has that they can fall completely apart in the 4th quarter.

Definitely out of the running for a #1 seed regardless of what they do in rest of ACC Conference Play.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I agree here. I complained earlier this year that ND seems to have gone the Louisville route of amassing talent and not giving enough consideration for character and team oriented players. Tonight ND looked like a collection of individuals that thinks talent means team. Only Allen and Nelson seem to really know their roles on this team. ND's outside shot, a strength of this team for years failed them. That Mabrey and Westbeld aren't particularly athletic doesn't help. Everyone else seems content to play 1 on 1. Consequently this team doesn't really have an identity. The assists/shots made ratio notwithstanding, does anyone see this as a good passing team? ND used to have the 2nd prettiest offense in the country. How did that disappear? The guards don't trust the shooters, the shooters can't create for themselves and their lack of athleticism outside of Allen, Turner, Ogunbowale and Young hurts them. When things get tough, where's the focus and execution? Who do they go to? Muffet's got a lot of 'splainin' to do.

The offense was fine and the passing was good in the 1st half. The question is what happened in the 2nd. The outside shot didn't fail ND. They were 5-8 from 3. If anything, they should have taken a few more. I thought there were a couple that Young should have taken but didn't.

Reaction Score
Muffet no longer beating the Turner drum is she.

Turner, a very good player with offensive limitations................an All American ............I don't know, maybe at that position............POY, not even close.................. KLS, Collier and Gabby are all having better seasons as are many others in my opinion.....

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Very bad loss for Notre Dame
The disastrous start didn't help...at the end, those points were crucial.
Westbeld had a terrible game
Turner had to get passive with the fouls, effected her O game
I don't know why they played straight zone, the whole game.
The UTenn win is still Pat ball with its flaws and all...no real O.
How there was no help to switch onto Nard at the end was criminal.
Arike = Dianond...Whomever plays the worse loses.
The one thing I liked...you have fouls to give...use them...Prevented a legitimate shot
So Holly is not absolutely, completely clueless.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just look at the free-throw disparity. ND 6-9, TN 14-22. Big difference in a 2 point game.

Against both Tennessee and NC State ND made more field goals and lost.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Only saw the game intermittently, but I spent time watching Turner and I was struck at how poorly she runs the floor. Injured or disinterested maybe?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Very bad loss for Notre Dame
The disastrous start didn't help...at the end, those points were crucial.
Westbeld had a terrible game
Turner had to get passive with the fouls, effected her O game
I don't know why they played straight zone, the whole game.
The UTenn win is still Pat ball with its flaws and all...no real O.
How there was no help to switch onto Nard at the end was criminal.
Arike = Dianond...Whomever plays the worse loses.
The one thing I liked...you have fouls to give...use them...Prevented a legitimate shot
So Holly is not absolutely, completely clueless.

I am not sure that I would describe Diamond's effort today as anything but impacting and positive. She REALLY wanted this game and it showed all game long.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What is the usual analysis?
  • Team chemistry
  • Poor coaching
  • There's a diva/trouble maker on the team
  • They are not giving 100% effort all the time
  • They don't play good defense
  • They don't play good offense

Let the witch hunt commence!

I am not sure that I would describe Diamond's effort today as anything but impacting and positive. She REALLY wanted this game and it showed all game long.

20 pts, 6 reb, 4 ast, 3 blk, just 1 TO. Annoyingly, "good Diamond" showed up today. Still can't shoot from range (1-5 from 3) but otherwise she was great.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Only saw the game intermittently, but I spent time watching Turner and I was struck at how poorly she runs the floor. Injured or disinterested maybe?
I saw that, too. Looks injured.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - missed the first half but got most of the second... not pretty basketball and those have to be two of the lowest energy (was going to say lazy) post players ever. Russell played with energy for maybe 4 minutes in each quarter and I am not sure Turner even matched that.
Classic bonehead (or 'I'll be the hero') play - Allen steals the ball with 1:52 to play passes ahead to Arike who races down one on three and jacks an eighteen footer with 1:46 on the clock - none of her teammates across half court so no chance of a rebound. This while clinging to a 1 point lead.

I had said ND looked off this year, and in this game in the second half they looked more than off - they looked slow, poorly coached and unintelligent in a basketball sense. I like Allen a lot, but I am surprised that she isn't able to organize this mess better. And I am really surprised that MM hasn't been able to coach them up better. She has a relatively deep bench, maybe it is time to start sitting some players down for time-outs until they get with the program.

TN should be ranked about #20 though they will probably go on the road and lose to Auburn next time out, and ND should be out of the top 10. (Our SOS just took a hit!)

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
wtf happened in those last 11 seconds? Was UT deliberately fouling anyone who touched the ball or what? (I could not see the game down here.)

Absolutely the case, and maybe Holly's best coaching decision in years. There have been losses in the past two years where she could have used this strategy but didn't and gave the opponents time to set up winning shots.

Before this sequence, I felt the refs started calling the game too close, to Tennessee's advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom