TN crushes UNC | The Boneyard

TN crushes UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't see anything on this. TN crushes UNC 102-57. Simmons with 33, 5 players in double figures. Burdick and Harrison with double doubles.

Didn't see that coming.

Reaction Score
This was a great match up for Tenn. UNC doesn't take care of the ball, and didn't seem all that interested in defense. I swear several times a Carolina player politely stepped out of the way so as not to impede the UT players path to the basket.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This was a great match up for Tenn. UNC doesn't take care of the ball, and didn't seem all that interested in defense. I swear several times a Carolina player politely stepped out of the way so as not to impede the UT players path to the basket.

Yes. UNC and Tenn want to play the same way but Tenn has a lot more talent than UNC. I thought Tenn would win but I didn't think by such a big margin. These are the kinds of games Simmons was born to play.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sylvia is another example of a coach that has a great winning record but time has past her by. Its unlikely UNC will replace her, but they should.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yet another UNC flame-out. So what's new?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Simmons had a carrer hight 33 points. The last LV to have a 30 point game was Parker in 08.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Simmons had a carrer hight 33 points. The last LV to have a 30 point game was Parker in 08.
Well she took 22 shots; I'd hope she'd score a lot of points.

On edit: Parker was 11-18 and 12-17 from the free throw line vs Notre Dame to score her 34 points in 2008.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Five players had double figures in scoring. That's pretty good in any game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Didn't see anything on this. TN crushes UNC 102-57. .

Clap.gif

They announced this score during the game at Duke..... got one of the biggest ovations of the afternoon :cool:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Well she took 22 shots; I'd hope she'd score a lot of points.

On edit: Parker was 11-18 and 12-17 from the free throw line vs Notre Dame to score her 34 points in 2008.

That shouldn't be too surprising. Typically, any player that scores 30 points will have to put up around 20 shots and sometimes moore. Simmons shot 54% from the field. The hot hand should be shooting the ball. For reference, the last time Maya scored 30, she attempted 30 shots, connecting on 14. The game before that one, Maya scored 28 and took 18 shots (almost 30 and almost 20 shots).

Reaction Score
Sylvia is another example of a coach that has a great winning record but time has past her by. Its unlikely UNC will replace her, but they should.

I agree, does anyone know what her contract situation is ? I would hire a new coach right after the HS 2013 class enrolls in summer school.

Reaction Score
That shouldn't be too surprising. Typically, any player that scores 30 points will have to put up around 20 shots and sometimes moore. Simmons shot 54% from the field. The hot hand should be shooting the ball. For reference, the last time Maya scored 30, she attempted 30 shots, connecting on 14. The game before that one, Maya scored 28 and took 18 shots (almost 30 and almost 20 shots).
In her last three games, Maya scored 34, 37 & 60. In the 60 pt game, she had 5 steals and 6 blocks. Only 9 for 19 from 3 point land though. I like cherry picking contests!

Reaction Score
Anyone who isn't ready to admit that TN is a top 10 team has their head in the sand. A lot of that has to do with the huge dropoff after the top 5. But still it's time for a lot of Boneyarders to admit that the Vols are better than they thought. I'm no fan of the Orange, just telling it like it is.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm not quite ready to concede that, Suebird. If memory serves, TN has two good wins this year, but one bad loss, and, very nearly, another. You might say, when TN plays up to their potential, they're a top 10 team. But, they have yet to do that consistently.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Five players had double figures in scoring. That's pretty good in any game.
I thought 5 players in double figures is normal. Seems to be at UConn.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Anyone who isn't ready to admit that TN is a top 10 team has their head in the sand. A lot of that has to do with the huge dropoff after the top 5. But still it's time for a lot of Boneyarders to admit that the Vols are better than they thought. I'm no fan of the Orange, just telling it like it is.
In this game Tennessee did look like a top five team. These next three games will tell us more. At Texas, at Baylor, home vs Stanford. If Tennessee can get a win or two in these games. That will say a lot.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UNC is not a good indicator of how good any team is. Theyve never played defense and it is reckless basketball. I swear its like heres the ball go run and play. There is talent there but no team talent. I have to wonder after this season if Diamond will keep her commitment to UNC. DD has talent and needs to be developed for the next level. I think any kid would get tired of running and shooting the ball all the time without any team to support her. JMO

Reaction Score

Does being in the top 10 really matter anymore? These days, it's who has a legit chance to advance to the FF, and everyone else. There is no doubt that many teams ranked ahead of TN in pre-season polls were overrated, but the fact that TN beat these chumps doesn't necessarily make them any more legit than before. Being an elite team all starts with the ability to play quality defense. TN has taken advantage of and feasted on three "ranked" teams (GaTech, Miami, and NC) who have absolutely no concept of what playing team defense is about. If you are more concerned about only guarding your person and don't know where the ball is at all times, then most likely you are not being coached properly. The top priority is to STOP THE BALL (especially near the basket) regardless of who you are guarding...not too many teams play like they understand this. It infuriates me to no end to watch WCB games and to observe players driving uncontested to the basket while other defenders are glued to their person.

TN will have an opportunity to let everyone know exactly where they stand as they will face to #1 seeds (@ Baylor & vs. Stanford) as well as #2 seed candidates (vs. ND & @ KY). To this point, it's so much that TN has impressed me as much as their opponents have underwhelmed me.

Reaction Score
In this game Tennessee did look like a top five team. These next three games will tell us more. At Texas, at Baylor, home vs Stanford. If Tennessee can get a win or two in these games. That will say a lot.
I sure hope they don't beat Stanford. I already had to cancel my #1/#2 party against Baylor on Feb 18. I don't want to have to cancel my #1/#2 party against Stanford on Dec 29. Go Cardinal.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Does being in the top 10 really matter anymore? These days, it's who has a legit chance to advance to the FF, and everyone else. .
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...e-basketball-tennessee-lady-vols-learning-flyApparently Ms Fagan thinks they have a legit chance

"On Sunday, the No. 16 Lady Vols demonstrated why, come March, they could easily find their way back to the Final Four."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...e-basketball-tennessee-lady-vols-learning-fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom