Time for the final starting 5 poll before Geno tells us who it will be... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time for the final starting 5 poll before Geno tells us who it will be...

Choose your starting 5. You can vote for up to 5.

• Evina

• Olivia

• Christyn

• Dorka

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
We are used to the starters being the go-to players for the entire game. The top 6 vote getters are the people we and Geno trust to start the game.
Geno’s mantra is that you want your best players in the court, but this year that doesnt mean they will need to each play 35-40 min per game.
This year the key is rotation. Getting the right combinations of top players and really really good players on the floor to build chemistry and overwhelm teams.
We need to get to the final 4 with 10-12 healthy trusted players that do all the basketball things that Geno and staff expect.

Should be a fun year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Final starting 5 against who? Fort Hays? Arkansas? The Atlantis Tournament?

Sorry, but without limits, this is silly.
We do this at the beginning of every season. We do it for fun to see if we can GUESS the first 5 players Geno sends out to the floor for that first game. No one takes these guesses seriously. I think it’s interesting to see who the other boneyarders think will start, and how many think like I do.

I’m assuming this poll is for the first game which is Fort Hays State. I know it’s an exhibition game, but Geno has to send 5 players out to start the game. He May start a different combination of starters for the Arkansas game. I’m betting he won’t.

I’m betting the 5 that start on Nov 7 will be the same 5 that start the Arkansas game. We know that players can be put in and removed from the starting lineup throughout the season for various reasons.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going with the lineup that was used for the bulk of the season: Paige, Nika, Evina, Christyn, and Liv. Assuming everyone is healthy, this is what I see in Game 1 vs. Arkansas. Of course, it could evolve over the season based on injuries, needs for size or shooting, etc.

My usual statement about this topic: What is more important than who starts is who finishes or, maybe more accurately, who plays most in crunch time. A proxy for this would be total minutes played. Though I think Nika starts, I could see Liya, Azzi, or Dorka getting more minutes than Nika. As a freshman, Kaleena didn't start, but she played more minutes than most. Geno was reluctant to take her out. Do you think that your starting 5 will also be the top 5 in minutes played?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Why is it silly? Have you been around at all this summer? This is the 3rd time I've posted this poll. It's an opinion for people to register who they think will start at the beginning of the season. Injuries, poor play, etc. could change the starting lineup during the season.

I always say this to people who complain - if you aren't interested in a thread, SKIP IT. I don't mean to sound overly critical, but I don't get the "this is silly" comment. Given that 137 people to date have voted, I'd say there is at least a modicum of interest in the topic.

BTW I meant final starting 5 poll in the sense of the final poll before the season starts, not the final starting 5 for the final 4.

Side note - last poll had Azzi with more votes than Liya. seems like that has changed this time around. In fact, Dorka has almost as many votes as Azzi. Can't wait for Geno to put all the speculation to rest!!

Last edited:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I believe Liv starts and Dorka comes in at first stoppage. Geno has shown loyalty in situations like this in the past - think Caroline Doty. Liv has been with the program and paid her dues and Geno will respect that. She may end up playing among the fewer total minutes in the post, but I think he will start her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm going with the lineup that was used for the bulk of the season: Paige, Nika, Evina, Christyn, and Liv. Assuming everyone is healthy, this is what I see in Game 1 vs. Arkansas. Of course, it could evolve over the season based on injuries, needs for size or shooting, etc.

My usual statement about this topic: What is more important than who starts is who finishes or, maybe more accurately, who plays most in crunch time. A proxy for this would be total minutes played. Though I think Nika starts, I could see Liya, Azzi, or Dorka getting more minutes than Nika. As a freshman, Kaleena didn't start, but she played more minutes than most. Geno was reluctant to take her out. Do you think that your starting 5 will also be the top 5 in minutes played?
Someone should start a poll asking who will average the most minutes over the entire season. Which 5 players will average the most minutes this year? Right now I’m guessing that Paige, Dorka and Aaliyah/Christyn will be in that group.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why is it silly? Have you been around at all this summer? This is the 3rd time I've posted this poll. It's an opinion for people to register who they think will start at the beginning of the season. Injuries, poor play, etc. could change the starting lineup during the season.

I always say this to people who complain - if you aren't interested in a thread, SKIP IT. I don't mean to sound overly critical, but I don't get the "this is silly" comment. Given that 137 people to date have voted, I'd say there is at least a modicum of interest in the topic.

BTW I meant final starting 5 poll in the sense of the final poll before the season starts, not the final starting 5 for the final 4.

Side note - last poll had Azzi with more votes than Liya. seems like that has changed this time around. In fact, Dorka has almost as many votes as Azzi. Can't wait for Geno to put all the speculation to rest!!
As of this post, Azzi has 33 votes. One of them is mine. I remembered something Geno said recently. He said that Azzi and Caroline look like they’ve been around for awhile. I take that to mean they’re plug n play right now. That they can go in and play (and be productive). That’s good enough for me. I’m pretty sure about 4 of the starters. We’ll find out who guessed right in 2 weeks from today. :)

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With 2 weeks to go until the exhibition game and 3 weeks until the Arkansas game, there's plenty of time to have at least 4 or 5 "Who’s the Starting 5?" threads and/or polls. So maybe this won't be the "final" one.
Maybe it's time for a poll on how many there will be...:):rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just thinkin lookin at the poll. Does Dorka and Liv start???? It has been said Dorka has a pretty good outside shot.
We don’t know to what degree she‘s “killing it” in practice. I have her as one of the first two off the bench to begin the season, but it would not shock me to see her start. Be assured she WILL get starter’s minutes over the course of the season one way or another. ;)

Reaction Score
Dorka was all Big 10 twice. Is there anybody here who honestly believes that ONO would have been all Big 10 the last two years if she were in that conference?
I don't. But I chose Liv instead. Geno showed several years ago that he won't necessarily start his best when he had Dangerfield start rather than Stevens. He goes with fit too. IMO he didn't think Nurse should be the starting pg. She was a backup pg but not the player he wanted to start as a pg. My wild guess is that he felt comfortable with Danger from the prior year, and I think he'll start season feeling comfortable with Liv's superior overall defense this year, and see what Dorka brings before putting her ahead of Liv.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying it since the season ended last year and my opinion hasn’t changed. Paige, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, and Olivia. It balances the positions, has existing chemistry, and allows for a balanced subbing rotation off the bench. Azzi, Nika, and Dorka are first off the bench. Followed by Caroline and Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying it since the season ended last year and my opinion hasn’t changed. Paige, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, and Olivia. It balances the positions, has existing chemistry, and allows for a balanced subbing rotation off the bench. Azzi, Nika, and Dorka are first off the bench. Followed by Caroline and Aubrey.

Just a wild guess- I went with slightly different, Liv, Edwards, CWill, Paige, and Nika. Nika is passing pg, Evina not-so-much. IMO Evina will get more minutes than Nika however; Evina is also a 2/3/4. More versatility (and experience and talent) means more time.

Reaction Score
Last time UConn played without 4 guards was 2016.
The was the last time we won a championship too! We played 4 guards because our alternative was someone like Kyla Irwin, now we have a very good natural PF in Aaliyah, and an all conference C in Dorka who could play there as well. The decision to play four guards previously and now are totally different. We are stacked everywhere, we don't have to squeeze a square peg in a round hole anymore.

Reaction Score

Please accept my apology. I suppose what I really meant was "makes no sense to me". The word "silly" was in fact a bit harsh and now that I know how it can be a burr under a saddle I'll be more mindful in the future. Thank you.

By the way, this thread, which I did vote in, has led to some very good discussion.

Reaction Score
The foam is starting to come from the mouth of the Husky faithful!! Who will start and who will perform? We have many who favor different camps. I for one think who starts against Fort Hays won't be who starts by the Big dance comes around. Seniority will affects who starts in the beginning of the year and talent who factor in who starts at the dance. With no injury's her are my first game starting 5 and my Big dance sarting five.
Fort Hays
1. Paige
2. CW
3. Evina
4. LIv
5. Aaliyah

Big Dance
1. Paige
2. Azzi
3.Dorka
4. Aaliyah
5. CW

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Just thinkin lookin at the poll. Does Dorka and Liv start???? It has been said Dorka has a pretty good outside shot.
I can definitely see this happening.

Reaction Score
I think that Evina, Olivia and Christyn will start all their games. You can look back to 1995 when he started Webber over Sales. Geno does show loyalty to senior players who he has relied on in prior seasons. But, as others have pointed out, the ones starting may not get the most minutes. And, of course, Paige will start. As shown last year the team performed best when she was on the floor. The other starter may be more dependent on the team we are facing. Either Dorka or Aaliyah against big teams, and either Azzi, Nika, or maybe Caroline (probably who is the best perimeter defender) against smaller teams.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Haven't seen or heard anything to cause me to think that the starting lineup from last year won't be the starting lineup to begin this year.

Having said that. I won't be surprised if there's a different lineup for the following 5-6 games or the same lineup.

I'm being to think this teams starters may not be as big a deal as most teams with the number of potential impact players coming in and out of the game from tip to the end.

Reaction Score
I got 4/5 That 5th player is going to be tough. I like the addition of Dorka. That High Post Offense that Coach Geno likes to run with some Pistol action thrown in as a wrinkle, Dorka at the High Post or in a Pistol set.....Nice! Same with Aaliyah. Can't go wrong either way.

Reaction Score
I assumed we are talking about the Arkansas game. The first 4 are easy imo, Paige, Christyn, Evina & Liv. I wrestled with who the 5th starter will be: Nika, Aaliyah & Azzi.

Ultimately, I went with Aaliyah because that’s the way last season ended and I expect that while the competition for PT at UConn’s practices is fierce, nothing has changed……yet.
Old Dude-I'm 100% with you on these picks!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You could limited out the wazoo and it would still be silly, but call it opening day. None of us are watching practice, and none of us knows the scheme that Geno wants to use this year, so inherently this poll is something for us to talk about it until the start of the season, and nothing more.

I went with Paige, Aliyah, Christyn, Olivia, and Azzi, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Evina was the starter instead of Azzi.

Reaction Score
no idea how it's 33 for Dorka, so that would mean that either Edwards or Olivia would hit the bench. Don't see what they have done to lose their starting job.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We’re trying to guess the 5 starters. The last report we got about Saylor was that she was still having challenges with her back similar to those she had last season. Until we hear otherwise, it’s questionable if she’ll be able to even suit up to begin the season. Being considered a potential starter right now appears to be a bridge too far. Once Saylor recovers, she will be expected to vie for minutes at the 3 and 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom