Time for the final starting 5 poll before Geno tells us who it will be... | The Boneyard

Time for the final starting 5 poll before Geno tells us who it will be...

Choose your starting 5. You can vote for up to 5.

• Evina

• Olivia

• Christyn

• Dorka

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Please note I only listed 10. No disrespect to Saylor, Amari, Mir, and Piath, but I did not add them to the list. Aubrey is the one out of that quintet that may get some votes, but if any of the other 4 start, something is seriously wrong with the team.

Geno has publicly said he expects the rotation to be 8 or 9. I hope he's wrong and it's more like 10. I really do want to see Aubrey with an expanded mid-range game to earn more minutes than just as a defensive stopper.

Also keep in mind that this is NOT who will get the most minutes.

Reaction Score
Interesting.
After 29 votes, only 15 voters (I'm among them) think that Aaliyah will be in the starting lineup.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Final starting 5 against who? Fort Hays? Arkansas? The Atlantis Tournament?

Sorry, but without limits, this is silly.
Indeed. I cast my vote on the assumption that the answer applies only to Game 1 (Arkansas -- exhibitions don't count), and not to any adjustments that may be made later in the year based on unexpectedly good or bad performances in the early part of the season.

I am also in the Aaliyah-over-Nika camp. I think this is the year that Geno decides to go to the "twin towers" approach to both offense and defense, and that he keeps that configuration throughout most games. In other words, I think 2 of [Liv, Dorka, Aaliyah, Piath, Amari] and 3 of [Paige, Christyn, Nika, Azzi, Evina, Caroline, Aubrey, Mir] will be on the court at almost all times as long as the game is competitive.

Keeping a single configuration (either 3 guards and 2 bigs, or 4 guards and one big -- and I vote for the former) as a constant irrespective of individual substitutions simplifies both offensive and defensive planning. It avoids the situation that occurred during Azura's year when the offensive concept had to change when she was in the game. Geno said at the beginning of that season was that a big reason why he decided not to start Azura was to avoid having to overhaul the offense that was used during the previous season and allow Gabby and Pheesa to have the same roles that they had in the prior year.

Reaction Score
Azzi and 4 others.
So, Paige, Christyn, Aaliyah, and Liv or Evina can sit on the bench and it will all be OK? No disrespect because I like your posts and thinking, but I assume you're looking at Ft. Hays, because Arkansas will hand you your butt in your hat.

Reaction Score
Nika is a great hustler, but I see UConn starting 4 guards this year...AE showed the value of a forward in the lineup with Liv.

Reaction Score
So, Paige, Christyn, Aaliyah, and Liv or Evina can sit on the bench and it will all be OK? No disrespect because I like your posts and thinking, but I assume you're looking at Ft. Hays, because Arkansas will hand you your butt in your hat.
Ok Azzi, Paige, Christy Aaliyah and Liv.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I did not interpret it that way. Since the "4 others" are so obvious (see poll #s), Azzi was the "surprise" pick for the 5th starter

Reaction Score
Indeed. I cast my vote on the assumption that the answer applies only to Game 1 (Arkansas -- exhibitions don't count), and not to any adjustments that may be made later in the year based on unexpectedly good or bad performances in the early part of the season.

I am also in the Aaliyah-over-Nika camp. I think this is the year that Geno decides to go to the "twin towers" approach to both offense and defense, and that he keeps that configuration throughout most games. In other words, I think 2 of [Liv, Dorka, Aaliyah, Piath, Amari] and 3 of [Paige, Christyn, Nika, Azzi, Evina, Caroline, Aubrey, Mir] will be on the court at almost all times as long as the game is competitive.

Keeping a single configuration (either 3 guards and 2 bigs, or 4 guards and one big -- and I vote for the former) as a constant irrespective of individual substitutions simplifies both offensive and defensive planning. It avoids the situation that occurred during Azura's year when the offensive concept had to change when she was in the game. Geno said at the beginning of that season was that a big reason why he decided not to start Azura was to avoid having to overhaul the offense that was used during the previous season and allow Gabby and Pheesa to have the same roles that they had in the prior year.
So, as long as the game is competitive any of 13 players can carry the team? Really? Say we are tied with SC with 1:30 to go, and you are comfortable with Piath, Amari, Caroline, Aubrey and Mir on the court? Geno, are you listening to this?

I also guess Saylor can go back to the dorm for the season and watch her team on TV?

Reaction Score
Nika is a great hustler, but I see UConn starting 4 guards this year...AE showed the value of a forward in the lineup with Liv.
Maybe the wording is off in your post, but....

If AE is a starting forward, and Liv is a starting forward/center, and we are starting 4 guards, are any of the other teams and officials aware of this? If Nika isn't out there harassing them, perhaps they won't notice, but still.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
Maybe the wording is off in your post, but....

If AE is a starting forward, and Liv is a starting forward/center, and we are starting 4 guards, are any of the other teams and officials aware of this? If Nika isn't out there harassing them, perhaps they won't notice, but still.
I meant I don't see 4 guards starting....sorry.

Reaction Score
I meant I don't see 4 guards starting....sorry.
No problem.

Geno has started 4 guards for a long time. I can see him doing it again this year, especially with the guards he has now. I think UConn is the most conditioned team in the country. He will run you into the dirt, and substitute in two more guards to keep you gasping for air. And then just when you thought he was letting up, he'll bring in twin towers to take all the wind you have left out of your sails. And then he'll bring the guards back in. It won't work in some games, but it will in many.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I picked Dorka over Azzi as the only change from last years starting 5, but I ain't mad at it.

Reaction Score
Dorka was all Big 10 twice. Is there anybody here who honestly believes that ONO would have been all Big 10 the last two years if she were in that conference?
Well, I don't. ONO was only 2nd team in the AAC in 2020 and 2nd team BE last year. Not sure what all the dynamics of those awards are, but the results don't seem equal to me.

In big games, ONO wasn't a positive points factor. Something seems to be missing when the pressure is on.

Tennessee - 7 pts
Arkansas - 2 pts
South Carolina - 6 pts
Iowa - 4 pts
Baylor - 3 pts
Arizona - 1 pt.

One other stat that got my attention too was rebounds. Last year ONO only had 28 more defensive rebounds than Paige. By comparison, Aliyah Boston had 152 more defensive rebounds than Zia Cooke.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of ONO. She brings a lot to the team. But, on the court I think UConn can do better, and I think Geno was/is thinking the same thing with his pursuit of Dorka. He's hinted that she's going to help take the team to the next level, and we'll have to wait and see how the two of them perform and fit into his plans. Ideally, they can each force each other to be the best they can be.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't. ONO was only 2nd team in the AAC in 2020 and 2nd team BE last year. Not sure what all the dynamics of those awards are, but the results don't seem equal to me.

In big games, ONO wasn't a positive points factor. Something seems to be missing when the pressure is on.

Tennessee - 7 pts
Arkansas - 2 pts
South Carolina - 6 pts
Iowa - 4 pts
Baylor - 3 pts
Arizona - 1 pt.

One other stat that got my attention too was rebounds. Last year ONO only had 28 more defensive rebounds than Paige. By comparison, Aliyah Boston had 152 more defensive rebounds than Zia Cooke.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of ONO. She brings a lot to the team. But, on the court I think UConn can do better, and I think Geno was/is thinking the same thing with his pursuit of Dorka. He's hinted that she's going to help take the team to the next level, and we'll have to wait and see how the two of them perform and fit into his plans. Ideally, they can each force each other to be the best they can be.
Poor performance. UConn had no better choice last year. I believe Dorka would earn big minutes in these competitive games the coming season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The returning 5, Paige, Nika, Christyn, Evina and Liv, will start.

After that, Geno will play mix and match. Dorka, Aaliyah, Azzi and Caroline are going to see major floor time. With the five starters, you have the nine who play the most.

The leader of the team is Paige and she will she plenty of time. A front line combo from Liv, Dorka and Aaliyah will see major minutes working together.

Geno has plenty of options.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I assumed we are talking about the Arkansas game. The first 4 are easy imo, Paige, Christyn, Evina & Liv. I wrestled with who the 5th starter will be: Nika, Aaliyah & Azzi.

Ultimately, I went with Aaliyah because that’s the way last season ended and I expect that while the competition for PT at UConn’s practices is fierce, nothing has changed……yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last time UConn played without 4 guards was 2016.
Keep in mind that UConn had 4 extraordinary starters with “guard skills” on that team: Mo, Kia, Lou & Stewie. Stewie in particular was something of a unicorn who could guard 1-5, break the press with her dribble and knock down 3’s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom