OT: - Tiger | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Speaking of driving, does anyone else find it amazing that Rory McIlroy at 5'9", 161 lbs is the longest on tour and Jordan Spieth at 6'1" 175 lbs is considered, well maybe not short, but not a bomber?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Speaking of driving, does anyone else find it amazing that Rory McIlroy at 5'9", 161 lbs is the longest on tour and Jordan Spieth at 6'1" 175 lbs is considered, well maybe not short, but not a bomber?

Check out Justin Thomas. He's not bigger than Rory.

The hip rotation and torque they develop from their legs is unreal.

Remember El Tigre's "activating his glutes" comment? That is what he was taking about.

Technology and equipment help too. Shafts allow player to make perfect match of swing acceleration and contact point for each player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Those TV shots of the crowd following him up 18, surrounding him and then Tiger emerging from the masses was great cinematography and those moments are why live sports still command a premium from advertisers.

Also, had the lyrics from Johnny Cash going through my head as he walked up 18.

"Hear the trumpets hear the pipers
One hundred million angels singin'
Multitudes are marchin' to the big kettledrum
Voices callin', voices cryin'
Some are born and some are dyin'
It's alpha and omega's kingdom come."

Reaction Score
Fairways are so key. Tigers iron play is so good that he will leave himself more uphill putts than not. Putting stats don't take these intricacies into consideration. Many times an uphill 15 footer is easier than a 5 foot slider.

In any event, so happy he closed this out. Ryder cup, more pre/rehab and we'll see him at the Hero and on to 2019

Reaction Score
Has anyone meant more to their sport than Tiger has to golf? It was considered a rich country club sport with a niche following before Tiger came on the scene. The game exploded in every way imaginable once he arrived and TV viewership was through the roof. He lost his game and disappeared and golf lost it's TV viewers. It isn't just TV viewership and attendance, golf across the country was dying (for many reasons) but I also think Tiger has to have a little something to do with it.

Reaction Score
Check out Justin Thomas. He's not bigger than Rory.

The hip rotation and torque they develop from their legs is unreal.

Remember El Tigre's "activating his glutes" comment? That is what he was taking about.

Technology and equipment help too. Shafts allow player to make perfect match of swing acceleration and contact point for each player.

Yeah Justin Thomas is maybe 150 lbs. it’s crazy.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I agree, he knows the course, feels comfortable there, if there are any more majors coming Augusta will probably be the first.
Happens to be the first played each year so.......

Reaction Score
Tiger can win any major if he can drive consistently in the fairway and putt. He changed his driver set up to add 1 degree loft and changed his shaft. Now he's a bit shorter off the tee but more consistent.

Reaction Score
He's been playing so well but hasn't put together the whole arsenal in many rounds especially when needed but he proved now he's ready to win more. Not like before but he will win again, hopefully a major or 2 for the doubters. I think it was actually a good thing he didn't run away and hide. It made him hit some shots in the clutch he wouldn't have had to. If Horschel made that eagle on 18 it really would've tested him. The thing people don't realize is he wasn't trying to make anything happen on the front just center of green and 2 putt get to the next hole. It actually almost came back to bite him as he unraveled a bit but his 2 misses off the tee at the end weren't awful just small pulls but still, led to bad lies and made him think it out. Most impressive tee shot on 18 piped it with power, very clutch and a free swing too.

He's there will be a fun ride if he says healthy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't understand the infatuation with Fowler. He's obviously a good golfer and he's only 29 but the guy has only won 4 times on the PGA tour in 9 years. He does have 3 seconds and a third in the majors (3 of those in 2014) but he just doesn't have the IT factor. I never expect him to charge to a win or extend to a win. If he ever wins a major, I would be very surprised. He's got star power for sure, but he's not the one you should be looking for to take the top spot and hold it (not even post Tiger cause Tiger doesn't really have it now). There are so many good young players that have accomplished a lot more than he has. Those are the guys that will hopefully keep fans interested post Tiger and Phil. I just think there are so many really good players right now that it's impossible for any one to dominate until we have another breakthrough phenom like Arnold, Jack and Tiger. That player hasn't shown up yet. Or at least hasn't shown us he can yet.

Fowler has a hoooooot fiance*. And he's cool.

*gratuitous pic

images

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't understand the infatuation with Fowler. He's obviously a good golfer and he's only 29 but the guy has only won 4 times on the PGA tour in 9 years. He does have 3 seconds and a third in the majors (3 of those in 2014) but he just doesn't have the IT factor. I never expect him to charge to a win or extend to a win. If he ever wins a major, I would be very surprised. He's got star power for sure, but he's not the one you should be looking for to take the top spot and hold it (not even post Tiger cause Tiger doesn't really have it now). There are so many good young players that have accomplished a lot more than he has. Those are the guys that will hopefully keep fans interested post Tiger and Phil. I just think there are so many really good players right now that it's impossible for any one to dominate until we have another breakthrough phenom like Arnold, Jack and Tiger. That player hasn't shown up yet. Or at least hasn't shown us he can yet.
I liken him to Sergio. He is supposedly well liked on the tour

Reaction Score
Lesson 1

Drive for show..

But if you can't hit it consistently in the fairway the way they set these championship courses up, you will be putting for a lot of pars and bogey's

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Has anyone meant more to their sport than Tiger has to golf? It was considered a rich country club sport with a niche following before Tiger came on the scene. The game exploded in every way imaginable once he arrived and TV viewership was through the roof. He lost his game and disappeared and golf lost it's TV viewers. It isn't just TV viewership and attendance, golf across the country was dying (for many reasons) but I also think Tiger has to have a little something to do with it.

Arnold Palmer. He basically introduced golf to TV in the first place, was the original draw that brought in middle and working class to watch live (Arnie's Army). He made the British Open relevant. Arnie was the guy that got other players paid. Additionally, he brought together fashion and golf (was among first to have a signature clothing line), was one of first to own his own plane, and maybe most importantly, with Mark McCormick, basically started IMG, which got athletes in every sport paid through agent negotiations and product endorsements.

There's a reason why Arnie is "The King" even though he's far behind Jack and Tiger on the wins/majors list. Neither Tiger nor Jack has their own drink.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, he was using a different putter for part of this year.

Went back to sleep reliable some time around July/August.

Edit:

Here is link on putter swap.

Tiger Woods' Scotty Cameron putter reappears | Golf Channel
I know what he used, and when. He didn’t start with the Taylormade. He switched to it earlier this year, and switched back a few weeks ago. I pay attention to which putters people use. Always looking for the right one myself.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Just thumping the field in Atlanta.

Every pro golfers worst fear has become more and more clear the second half of 2018.

Tiger is back and has about a 5 year window for one more dominant run.
Whoa hold on there! Tiger was spent at the end of this tournament and he was lucky some youngin' wasn't making a charge. That being said the recovery he has made from the surgeries he has had, the addiction to drugs, the addiction to women, etc., is amazing. I don't think there is anyone on the tour with his mental toughness, but you heard him in his interviews even he was surprised that he could compete at this level. I would like to see him win one more major if only because millions, including me, look forward to seeing if Tiger can do it on Saturday and Sunday. At his age it is only going going to get harder and harder, take this from a lifelong golfer who had to move up to the white tees!!

Reaction Score
Arnold Palmer. He basically introduced golf to TV in the first place, was the original draw that brought in middle and working class to watch live (Arnie's Army). He made the British Open relevant. Arnie was the guy that got other players paid. Additionally, he brought together fashion and golf (was among first to have a signature clothing line), was one of first to own his own plane, and maybe most importantly, with Mark McCormick, basically started IMG, which got athletes in every sport paid through agent negotiations and product endorsements.

There's a reason why Arnie is "The King" even though he's far behind Jack and Tiger on the wins/majors list. Neither Tiger nor Jack has their own drink.

Arnie is the King a tremendous ambassador to the game, even more than Jack in the day. But Tiger took the game to the next stratosphere it's crazy and proof of how important he is has been the crowds this year that follow, it's crazy stuff. I believe even many of those who didn't like him all that much jumped on the bandwagon hoping he'd win. He's grown up, a better guy and easier to root for.

But his drink is excellent (not the one with out the alch%) and one of my fav's on a hot day on the links. Golf still owes a lot to Arnie and Jack too though no doubt.

Reaction Score
Whoa hold on there! Tiger was spent at the end of this tournament and he was lucky some youngin' wasn't making a charge. That being said the recovery he has made from the surgeries he has had, the addiction to drugs, the addiction to women, etc., is amazing. I don't think there is anyone on the tour with his mental toughness, but you heard him in his interviews even he was surprised that he could compete at this level. I would like to see him win one more major if only because millions, including me, look forward to seeing if Tiger can do it on Saturday and Sunday. At his age it is only going going to get harder and harder, take this from a lifelong golfer who had to move up to the white tees!!
The youngins he played with the last two rounds crapped the bed.

Reaction Score

All true and yet it was still pretty much considered just a rich guy country club niche sport before Tiger came along.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Which reminds me of this hilarious pic when the US won the Ryder Cup in 2016. He's not that guy anymore!
1475489944-49528fa271faf33ab3badabe95157da4-1038x576.jpg

Turns out he was the smartest guy in the room.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom