Tiffany Hayes??????? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tiffany Hayes???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
At one point last night the box score showed her to have 8 assists. They either took two away, or that was in error. According to the running box score I was watching , with about five minutes to go it looked like she might get a triple double.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At one point last night the box score showed her to have 8 assists. They either took two away, or that was in error. According to the running box score I was watching , with about five minutes to go it looked like she might get a triple double.
Yes, it did.

Reaction Score
First, I did not say she made plays on sheer athletic ability. I explicitly mentioned athletic ability AND heart. On top of that, my list was not intended to be exhaustive.

Second, what makes you think UConn only recruits smart players? I doubt that is true. I'm sure it is a factor, but there are other factors as well. Maybe Geno did miss on this one; I think Hayes is on lower end of being basketball intelligence as far as the team goes.

Thirdly, is .347% good? I imagine it is lower than Moore, Hartley, KML, and number of other UConn sharp shooters.

I personally don't believe that this board is the place to suggest that "Hayes is on lower end of being basketball intelligence." (I assume that you really meant to say "of being basketball intelligent". Am I right?)

If you feel the need to express such negative opinions, why don't you use the PM option?

You do realize, I hope, that both our current players and our prospective recruits and their parents follow the BY, right?

Oh, BTW, and to be fair, would you care provide a few bonefides to your "basketball intelligence?"

Lastly, if you feel a need to react to any of my replies, please do so via PM, okay?

This thread really should be closed.

Just my IMHO, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
I think discussing basketball IQ is totally reasonable.

I don't know what I'd consider Tiffany, other than "out of control on the offensive end" ..but one of the best defenders Uconn has ever had.

Reaction Score
I personally don't believe that this board is the place to suggest that "Hayes is on lower end of being basketball intelligence." (I assume that you really meant to say "of being basketball intelligent". Am I right?)

If you feel the need to express such negative opinions, why don't you use the PM option?

You do realize, I hope, that both our current players and our prospective recruits and their parents follow the BY, right?

Oh, BTW, and to be fair, would you care provide a few bonefides to your "basketball intelligence?"

Lastly, if you feel a need to react to any of my replies, please do so via PM, okay?

This thread really should be closed.

Just my IMHO, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

There are a lot of reasons why I expressed a negative opinion. 1) This is a discussion board; I think respectful criticism is appropriate in addition to praise. 2) I feel I have been respectful, and balanced. I haven't bad mouthed Tiffany generally, just one aspect (I praised a number of other aspects of her game), and I haven't used language that is remotely rude. 3) When you accept a scholarship to play college sports, you should realize you are subjecting yourself to scrutiny. Fans are paying for your education, so you should probably expect fans to act like fans and discuss the good and the bad. If you decide to attend a major program like UConn, you should be even more prepared to be scrutinized.

I do realize she, her family, or recruits could read my comments. I've been respectful and offered praise as well. If recruits can't handle that, then I imagine they can't handle playing for Geno or playing for a prime time women's college basketball team.

And I think your question about my bonefides is a stupid question, and sadly one often used by people as part of message board discussions. I doubt any of us on the board are D1 or NBA coaches. I played basketball for a number of years, I've watched basketball for a number of years, and I'm a relatively intelligent human being. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me to post on a message board.

I think your desire to have the thread locked is overly sensitive. No one has been impolite or rude. The discussion has been civil and focused on on-the-court performance.

Reaction Score
With Thanksgiving two days away, it would take too much time and energy trying to explain the implications of your criticisms as it pertains to intelligence and the perceived lack thereof. However, I will send a personal message some time within the next two weeks.

Reaction Score
With Thanksgiving two days away, it would take too much time and energy trying to explain the implications of your criticisms as it pertains to intelligence and the perceived lack thereof. However, I will send a personal message some time within the next two weeks.

I'm not really sure what you're implying. I'm referring to basketball IQ, not general intelligence whatsoever. You could be a Rhodes Scholar but not have a good basketball IQ.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not really sure what you're implying. I'm referring to basketball IQ, not general intelligence whatsoever. You could be a Rhodes Scholar but not have a good basketball IQ.
how's your basketball IQ?

Reaction Score
how's your basketball IQ?

I'd like to think high. Maybe some of you think it's low. But then again maybe some of you just feel the need to protect Hayes.

Not sure why some of you feel the need to attack posters who disagree with you. I've criticized one aspect of Tiffany's game, and I've done so in a respectful manner. I would think an appropriate response would be to discuss her game, not me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I do realize she, her family, or recruits could read my comments. I've been respectful and offered praise as well. If recruits can't handle that, then I imagine they can't handle playing for Geno you're NOT Geno or playing for a prime time women's college basketball team.

And I think your question about my bonefides is a stupid question, and sadly one often used by people as part of message board discussions. I doubt any of us on the board are D1 or NBA coaches. I played basketball for a number of years, I've watched basketball for a number of years, and I'm a relatively intelligent human being. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me to post on a message board. which makes it worse since you know the game and players DO have off night... so Im curious to why you're sooooo shocked. Ray, Rip, Jordan, Kobe have all shot bad, you do know that right?

Reaction Score
I know I'm not Geno. That's why I said "I imagine". This is a message board, people discuss things, they don't actually coach the team.

I'm not shocked. I do realize players have an off night. I think Hayes' off night was just an amplification of a constant weakness in her game. Compared to other UConn players, she drives out of control at times, she turns the ball over a high amount, and she shoots a lot of three pointers.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'd like to think high. Maybe some of you think it's low. But then again maybe some of you just feel the need to protect Hayes.

Not sure why some of you feel the need to attack posters who disagree with you. I've criticized one aspect of Tiffany's game, and I've done so in a respectful manner. I would think an appropriate response would be to discuss her game, not me.
we saw the boxscore... we've seen worse from Tiff. We understand her and many think you're beating a dead horse. UConn won the game... period! What about Dolson, Faris or Doty (not that I want to hear you critize them too) they didnt do all that great BUT everyone including Tiff did enough to pull out the VICTORY.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know I'm not Geno. That's why I said "I imagine". This is a message board, people discuss things, they don't actually coach the team.

I'm not shocked. I do realize players have an off night. I think Hayes' off night was just an amplification of a constant weakness in her game. Compared to other UConn players, she drives out of control at times, she turns the ball over a high amount, and she shoots a lot of three pointers.
how many turnovers did she have... and dont come with that "circus shot is just like a turnover" bologna

Reaction Score
we saw the boxscore... we've seen worse from Tiff. We understand her and many think you're beating a dead horse. UConn won the game... period! What about Dolson, Faris or Doty (not that I want to hear you critize them too) they didnt do all that great BUT everyone including Tiff did enough to pull out the VICTORY.

This is a thread titled "Tiffany Hayes". That is why I am discussing Tiffany Hayes. If you would like to start a thread on any of the players feel free. Unfortunately, Tiffany is a senior and she still appears to have the same wild streak she has had for 3 years. That's probably why there are 5 pages on this thread, and not for the others.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is a thread titled "Tiffany Hayes". That is why I am discussing Tiffany Hayes. If you would like to start a thread on any of the players feel free. Unfortunately, Tiffany is a senior and she still appears to have the same wild streak she has had for 3 years. That's probably why there are 5 pages on this thread, and not for the others.
nah I think its 5 pages long cause we're crazy enough to reply to your comments.

actually I have started threads on other... look around, (Kaleena, Kiah).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Last year 91. The year before 85. The year before that 57.
stay with me, remember we're talking about the game that was played on Nov 21, 2011 against the Stanford Cardinal womens basketball team

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
WOW there is alot of argueing going on. This thread is becoming a real mess. Perhaps what was said wasnt what was ment to be said. In any event perhaps we should look back to what was said and see if that was what was meant to be said. Everbody cant be wrong and everybody cant be right. I think we need an olive branch here and move on. Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i have zero issue with tiff driving to the hoop to attempt a shot. the thing i still find mystifying is that she seems incapable of making a right handed layup. as i said, she turns a drive from a degree of difficulty of a 3 to an 8 with the way she has to twist and contort her body in order to attempt the layup with her left hand but from the right side. i just got the pacific game and have been watching that and am amazed at how smoothly Bria and Stef use their off hands, and they are sophomores. i can't figure out why as a senior, Tiff has yet to learn to use her off hand for a point blank layup.

i loved the other things Tiff did. just like Faris when her shot's not falling. Tiff didn't pout or lag on defense. she just went out and grabbed boards, made steals and dished assists. i think that's the mark of a mature player.

i think some of the criticisms have come across as maybe a bit harsh, but on the flip side, when you recall Geno's comments (paraphrasing) that "when Tiff plays her best, she's the best player on the floor", and these comments came last year with Maya on the team, combined with the fact that she's a senior and a captain, i think expectations are higher.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
i have zero issue with tiff driving to the hoop to attempt a shot. the thing i still find mystifying is that she seems incapable of making a right handed layup. as i said, she turns a drive from a degree of difficulty of a 3 to an 8 with the way she has to twist and contort her body in order to attempt the layup with her left hand but from the right side. i just got the pacific game and have been watching that and am amazed at how smoothly Bria and Stef use their off hands, and they are sophomores. i can't figure out why as a senior, Tiff has yet to learn to use her off hand for a point blank layup.

i think some of the criticisms have come across as maybe a bit harsh, but on the flip side, when you recall Geno's comments (paraphrasing) that "when Tiff plays her best, she's the best player on the floor", and these comments came last year with Maya on the team, combined with the fact that she's a senior and a captain, i think expectations are higher.

maybe too high!

btw a lot of people cant do things with their off hand... Renee didnt use her left (according to some) til her Sr. year.

my problem with some of the comments is they "might" be coming from people that NEVER played basketball and seem to think things are soooooo easy.

(thinking of halftime when the guy needs to make a lay-up, free throw, 3pter and a 1/2 court shot.... and he throws the ball over the backboard while attempting the lay-up)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Uconn as a team came out a little, rushed, and a little over hyped. They were playing way to fast. Some of the team regained their poise on offense and some didnt. The defense and rebounding were terrific. Work on poise and playing undercontrol in big games and when the pressure is on and we will be fine.

It kinda funny how the preseason started with pollsters ranking us between 3-6 with anywhere from 2-8 losses. I beleive they underestimated UConns heart, determination and relentless drive. It all comes from disipline, and the way Geno trains them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
maybe too high!

btw a lot of people cant do things with their off hand... Renee didnt use her left (according to some) til her Sr. year.

my problem with some of the comments is they "might" be coming from people that NEVER played basketball and seem to think things are soooooo easy.

(thinking of halftime when the guy needs to make a lay-up, free throw, 3pter and a 1/2 court shot.... and he throws the ball over the backboard while attempting the lay-up)
but Renee did learn finally to layup with her off hand. how is it that Bria and Stef as sophomores can do it but potential AA candidate Tiff cannot?

Reaction Score
stay with me, remember we're talking about the game that was played on Nov 21, 2011 against the Stanford Cardinal womens basketball team

Stay with me. We're not talking about one game. We are talking about Hayes' basketball IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom