Tiff named 3rd team All American | The Boneyard

Tiff named 3rd team All American

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The kids are saying all the right things, but this has to irritate them just a little bit, doesn't it? Going by postseason awards, the whole of UConn has to be significantly greater than the sum of its parts, except the coach apparently didn't do a top five, or possibly even top 10, coaching job. So how is UConn an elite team?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe there are that many players better than the two of them. Or Bria. How is UConn one of the top 6 teams in the coutnry (at this point, hopefully top 4) without a top ten coach or player?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Baylor's Brittney Griner leads AP All-America team

"Joining Chiney Ogwumike on the second team were Baylor sophomore Odyssey Sims, Miami senior Shenise Johnnson, Ohio State senior Samantha Prahalis and Wisconsin-Green Bay senior Julie Wotja.

The third-team members: Connecticut senior Tiffany Hayes, Kentucky junior A'dia Mathies, Duke freshman Elizabeth Williams, Tennessee senior Shekinna Stricklen and Miami senior Riquna Williams.

It marked only the second time since the All-America team was first honored in 1995 that no Tennessee or Connecticut player made either the first or second team (2005 and 2006).

The preseason All-America team was Griner, Diggins, Ogwumike, Johnson and Stricklen."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It looks like Stricklen was a major disappointment this year. (ETA I just noticed she made third team.)

Scoring is what gets Sports Writer's attention. This works to the detriment of UConn players who share the scoring. This year more than ever.

Reaction Score
I don't know all her stats, but I'm surprised Natalie Novosel isn't on one of these teams. She's a very solid player.

Reaction Score
Wow, Thomas sneaks into first team. Thought for sure that'd be Sims.

Just one senior on this year's 1st team --> super-duper competition next year w/ Sims, Chiney, Mathies, E Williams, Hartley, & KML added to the mix.

Reaction Score
I would suspect that vote splitting probably played a bit of a role. There wasn't a clear star. Someone might have voted for Hayes, others for Bria, others for KML --> end result, is not enough votes for any of them to end up higher.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It marked only the second time since the All-America team was first honored in 1995 that no Tennessee or Connecticut player made either the first or second team (2005 and 2006).

i thought that was interesting. for UCONN to be a 1 seed, #3 in the nation, and still in the NCAA's with no 1st or 2nd team AA's is in indication that Geno should be in the conversation for NCOY honors.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Any voter who did not vote both Novosel and Hayes among top ten players is just an old poop!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maybe there was a voting foul up.
Or her votes were charged to another player.
Or some of the voters flip-flopped.
Hanging chad, I'm betting.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If Sammy Prahalis is a better guard than either Tiff or Bria (or Novosel, for that matter) then....sputter, sputter...AArrrggghhhhh!

Reaction Score
I was trying to find the vote totals - anyone seen them?

Reaction Score
Well Geno is coaching 7 McDonald's All-Americans and every player in his rotation was considered a top 15 recruit by at least one major recruiting service. Geno may not have an All-American this year, but he does have the most talented roster top to bottom in the country. Geno is obviously great, but his team has pretty well met expectations this season ot this point. I don't really see how they have exceeded most expectations to this point. I'm okay with others receiving recognition. Geno wins his fair share of coaching awards including in years where as he would say, he just has to roll the ball onto the floor.

i thought that was interesting. for UCONN to be a 1 seed, #3 in the nation, and still in the NCAA's with no 1st or 2nd team AA's is in indication that Geno should be in the conversation for NCOY honors.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No, that's for First Team All Americans.
Tiff was between 11th and 15th in the AP voting. Can she get to #10 on one of the other lists? It could be very close.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Man, Coach CD is going to have a field day.
"So, Bria, Kaleena, Stef, and Kelly, the rest of the country thinks you guys are chopped liver or something. Go make hamburger out of the other team!"

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Here's the full list of Honorable Mentions (alphabetical)

Clements - SDSU
Coley - Fla. Int'l
Evans - Hofstra
Goodrich - Kan
Gray - Duke
Hackbarth - Drake
Hartley - UCONN
Hill - Ohio St
Hooper - Neb
Hurt - VCU
Jones - E. Mich
Johnson - UT
Lucas - Penn St
KML - UCONN
Novosel - ND
Peters - ND
Plouffe - Utah
Pippins - ISU
Rasheed - Princeton
Riley - BYU
Rodgers - GTown
Santiago - Cal Poly
Standish - Gonz
White - Ariz

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Baylor's Brittney Griner leads AP All-America team

"Joining Chiney Ogwumike on the second team were Baylor sophomore Odyssey Sims, Miami senior Shenise Johnnson, Ohio State senior Samantha Prahalis and Wisconsin-Green Bay senior Julie Wotja.

The third-team members: Connecticut senior Tiffany Hayes, Kentucky junior A'dia Mathies, Duke freshman Elizabeth Williams, Tennessee senior Shekinna Stricklen and Miami senior Riquna Williams.

The preseason All-America team was Griner, Diggins, Ogwumike, Johnson and Stricklen."
I am not totally surprised about Thomas. Eric and I think she is very slightly ahead of C. Ogwumike, Sims, and Hartley as the best sophomore. All 4 are great.

Williams appears to be the top freshman. She is outstanding, but she looked like a freshman last night. Maybe her injury was bothering her. The gap between her and Kaleena is very, very small.

Reaction Score
If a team has, say, 5 all american quality players, and they take turns standing out in different games, the team benefits at the expense of the individual. If a team has one player who is the do all player, it's easier to be perceived as an AA. Having only one Senior on the team probably hurt Uconn as all else being equal, seniors would have an advantage, although this year's first team doesn't back that up with only one Senior selected.

I wonder how the voting would have gone if Griner, Ogwumike, Diggins, Delle Donne, and Thomas were all on the same team? Would any not have made it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom