Tiff named 3rd team All American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tiff named 3rd team All American

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's the full list of Honorable Mentions (alphabetical)

Clements - SDSU
Coley - Fla. Int'l
Evans - Hofstra
Goodrich - Kan
Gray - Duke
Hackbarth - Drake
Hartley - UCONN
Hill - Ohio St
Hooper - Neb
Hurt - VCU
Jones - E. Mich
Johnson - UT
Lucas - Penn St
KML - UCONN
Novosel - ND
Peters - ND
Plouffe - Utah
Pippins - ISU
Rasheed - Princeton
Riley - BYU
Rodgers - GTown
Santiago - Cal Poly
Standish - Gonz
White - Ariz
Kevi Luper of Oral Roberts averaged 23.8 ppg on .462 shooting (.387 from the arc and .857 on FTs) and had 114 steals. She's better than at least a third of this list.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well Geno is coaching 7 McDonald's All-Americans and every player in his rotation was considered a top 15 recruit by at least one major recruiting service. Geno may not have an All-American this year, but he does have the most talented roster top to bottom in the country. Geno is obviously great, but his team has pretty well met expectations this season ot this point. I don't really see how they have exceeded most expectations to this point. I'm okay with others receiving recognition. Geno wins his fair share of coaching awards including in years where as he would say, he just has to roll the ball onto the floor.
So Mulkey, VanDerVeer and McGraw all have exceeded expectations this year? 2 of them were picked ahead of UCONN preseason in the polls (or maybe UCONN was 3 and ND was 4).

i think Washington (PSU), Collen (Ark), Frese (MD), Miller (Bowling Green), and Utah State's Pebley were all fair choices. but if your criteria is to "exceed expectations" then neither Baylor, Stanford, nor Notre Dame belong on the list. Baylor and Stanford both had one 1st team and one 2nd team (Griner/Nneka and Simms/Chiney) and ND also had Diggins on the 1st team.

in a way my comment was tongue-in-cheek in that Geno cares zippo for honors like that. but if you are going to honor Baylor, Stanford and ND as potential NCOY's, i don't see how you leave Geno off the list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking a little more by class:

Only Nneka on the first team was a senior. So, Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins, and Thomas are strong contenders for the AA team next year.

The other underclassmen:

Chiney, sophomore, 2nd team
Odyssey, sophomore, 2nd team

Mathies, junior, 3rd team
Williams, freshman, 3rd team

I heard a rumor that there will be some exceptional freshmen next year, some of whom may compete for slots on this list. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Note from historical perspective:

Some audacious freshman made the first team 4 years ago, along with players named Parker, Fowles, Paris, and Wiggins.

Elizabeth Williams and Kaleena Lewis had outstanding seasons this year, with EW making the 3rd team and KML making Honorable Mention. They are about as good as freshmen get. Well, except for Maya. We were fortunate to share her journey for 4 years.

maya-moore.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kevi Luper of Oral Roberts averaged 23.8 ppg on .462 shooting (.387 from the arc and .857 on FTs) and had 114 steals. She's better than at least a third of this list.
No one from St. Bonaventure? Are the Bonnies the UConn of mid-majors with no stars?

Reaction Score
Note from historical perspective:
Well, except for Maya. We were fortunate to share her journey for 4 years.
We sure were! What a great ride!

And to think--we've been lucky enough to be able to have an argument about whether she was the best Husky ever. How many fans can say their teams have multiple "best-evers" like Maya?

Reaction Score
I refuse to believe there are that many players better than the two of them. Or Bria. How is UConn one of the top 6 teams in the coutnry (at this point, hopefully top 4) without a top ten coach or player?
It's official. Connecticut Huskies are now the Connecticut Anomalys. Just win baby win.

Reaction Score
So Mulkey, VanDerVeer and McGraw all have exceeded expectations this year? 2 of them were picked ahead of UCONN preseason in the polls (or maybe UCONN was 3 and ND was 4).

i think Washington (PSU), Collen (Ark), Frese (MD), Miller (Bowling Green), and Utah State's Pebley were all fair choices. but if your criteria is to "exceed expectations" then neither Baylor, Stanford, nor Notre Dame belong on the list. Baylor and Stanford both had one 1st team and one 2nd team (Griner/Nneka and Simms/Chiney) and ND also had Diggins on the 1st team.

in a way my comment was tongue-in-cheek in that Geno cares zippo for honors like that. but if you are going to honor Baylor, Stanford and ND as potential NCOY's, i don't see how you leave Geno off the list.

Baylor has had a perfect season so far that always gets Geno on the list. Stanford met preseason expectations in terms of record, but Tara did it with a team that suffered season ending injuries to 3 players including Jasmine Camp who was starting at the time of her injury and scored 14 pts against UConn and Michaela Ruef who was in Stanford's rotation at the end of last season. Plus Sarah Boothe has had difficulty returning from injuries. Notre Dame was picked behind UConn in both preseason polls and lets face it, Notre Dame had some signature national TV wins. Beating UConn twice in the regular season. The beat down they put on Tennessee. Notre Dame achieved things that they rarely achieve and without the depth of talent that Geno has. Geno could just as well be on that list, but I don't think it is unfair for those three to be on the list and Geno not.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Baylor has had a perfect season so far that always gets Geno on the list. Stanford met preseason expectations in terms of record, but Tara did it with a team that suffered season ending injuries to 3 players including Jasmine Camp who was starting at the time of her injury and scored 14 pts against UConn and Michaela Ruef who was in Stanford's rotation at the end of last season. Plus Sarah Boothe has had difficulty returning from injuries. Notre Dame was picked behind UConn in both preseason polls and lets face it, Notre Dame had some signature national TV wins. Beating UConn twice in the regular season. The beat down they put on Tennessee. Notre Dame achieved things that they rarely achieve and without the depth of talent that Geno has. Geno could just as well be on that list, but I don't think it is unfair for those three to be on the list and Geno not.
well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Scotter, Notre Dame was picked behind UConn in what preseason poll? ND were the Big East favorites this year. They don't have the same amount of talent as UConn this year? That is completely untrue but if you say so?

Reaction Score
Both the AP and ESPN Coaches polls. Uconn was 3rd and ND 4th in both.

LINK

Those are the polls for the last week of the season. I was asking about preseason national polls. ND was picked over UConn to win the BE in the preseason by the coaches.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Both the AP and ESPN Coaches polls. Uconn was 3rd and ND 4th in both.

LINK
ur looking at the wrong week. Baylor, Notre Dame, Tennessee, UCONN, Stanford. that was the top 5 preseason.

Reaction Score
The kids are saying all the right things, but this has to irritate them just a little bit, doesn't it? Going by postseason awards, the whole of UConn has to be significantly greater than the sum of its parts, except the coach apparently didn't do a top five, or possibly even top 10, coaching job. So how is UConn an elite team?

And not even a 2nd teamer1 All the more reason to stuff it right back to them with an NC.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The kids are saying all the right things, but this has to irritate them just a little bit, doesn't it? Going by postseason awards, the whole of UConn has to be significantly greater than the sum of its parts, except the coach apparently didn't do a top five, or possibly even top 10, coaching job. So how is UConn an elite team?
yep. agree 100% with this lol.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe it will provide a little spark to show the voters they are wrong. Winning a NC without a first team AA. Priceless!

Reaction Score
Maybe it will provide a little spark to show the voters they are wrong. Winning a NC without a first team AA. Priceless!

Why would that mean they were wrong? Isn't it possible to just be a team with a lot of good players but not a great one?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am not totally surprised about Thomas. Triad, Eric and I think she is very slightly ahead of C. Ogwumike, Sims, and Hartley as the best sophomore. All 4 are great.

Williams appears to be the top freshman. She is outstanding, but she looked like a freshman last night. Maybe her injury was bothering her. The gap between her and Kaleena is very, very small.

Fixed that for you.... ;) Glad to see Thomas get some recognition this year..... even though she she plays for the enemy... i really enjoy watching her in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom