Three predictions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Three predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It is really puzzling that Gabby ranked so high as a guard in high school even though she had such limited shooting range. I had no idea. I thought she was a very accurate outside shooter. With all the inside help UCONN has now she will need to develop a mid range game. She did not play much against SC because they were so big and the same thing may happen against other big teams this season, unless she changes to the guard position.

Reaction Score
No, you misunderstand. I'm responding to your post where you stated KLS would have fared well regardless of where she chose to play. I pointed out that one of her sisters was a hsaa and did not fare all that well at Stanford. I know people say KLS has more talent than either sister, but that does not mean the sisters could not have developed into better players than they have. That's why KLS came to UCONN, to get the opportunity to be the best that she can be. Geno has taken players who were not highly touted and made them into outstanding players. I believe all of the top talent that has stayed at UCONN have reached their potential and sometimes more. I was pointing out that some highly ranked high school players who went to Stanford did not develop as much as expected. I have not seen recently any over achieving players at Stanford. I don't see how you came up with your misinterpretation of what I wrote. I thought I was very clear.

Definitely no misunderstanding. There have been at least 2 Number 1 high school recruits who matriculated at UConn and are not on The Wall. there have been others who did not pan out according to the HS numbers. Whether that is the result of coaching, offensive system, personal motivation, injuries... One never knows. Or just maybe, the rating services just totally got it wrong. As far as players who have come to UConn unheralded and become outstanding ballplayers, that would certainly hold true for the likes of Maria Conlon. Are there others you could add? Stefanie Dolson, IIRC, came with a wide disparity of rankings but one of the services had her Top 25, and she was no worse than the 2nd best center; IMO, the most improved player from freshman to senior year that Coach Auriemma ever coached. She was needed right away and responded admirably. One might also think of Kara Wolters whom I do not recall as a freshman, but was part of, arguably one of the three best front courts at UConn. How she left UConn without grabbing 1000 rebounds astounds me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Definitely no misunderstanding. There have been at least 2 Number 1 high school recruits who matriculated at UConn and are not on The Wall. there have been others who did not pan out according to the HS numbers. Whether that is the result of coaching, offensive system, personal motivation, injuries... One never knows. Or just maybe, the rating services just totally got it wrong. As far as players who have come to UConn unheralded and become outstanding ballplayers, that would certainly hold true for the likes of Maria Conlon. Are there others you could add? Stefanie Dolson, IIRC, came with a wide disparity of rankings but one of the services had her Top 25, and she was no worse than the 2nd best center; IMO, the most improved player from freshman to senior year that Coach Auriemma ever coached. She was needed right away and responded admirably. One might also think of Kara Wolters whom I do not recall as a freshman, but was part of, arguably one of the three best front courts at UConn. How she left UConn without grabbing 1000 rebounds astounds me.
Being on the wall at Uconn is not a very good criteria for determining development for a few reasons -
1. It is a voted on award, and that makes it to some degree a popularity contest.
2. Team make-up and team success has a significant effect on individual results and accolades
3. The national talent pool and individual seasons of that pool can influence the award - we are talking about 10 recipients out of 3500+ D1 participants each year - some of it is luck.
4. At Uconn their have often been 3 or more players capable of being an AA on the same team - that prohibits some of those players from consideration and may lessen the chance for others.

There are some great Uconn players who never made the wall. Looking at the TASSK force class - they played three of four years with two great players who arrived before them and their last two years with the GOAT DT. Great players like Williams, Jones, and Cash were extremely limited in the minutes they played throughout their careers because of the other talent on the team - their stats were not competitive on a national level because they were maying a third or a half less minutes than others in the conversation. Their development and skill level was clearly identified in their WNBA draft position. As another example, it is quite possible that Tuck could fail to be voted a first team AA through four years of her college career though a lot of people felt she should have made it last year - this year she doesn't have as much competition on her own team, but with some great forwards around the country the competition for inclusion this year will be fierce again, and the team make up will likely keep her minutes more limited than those of many of her national 'competition' for votes.

Just a question - I can think of Ann Strother and I think Tamika Williams as the two #1s not on the wall individually, though both are represented twice for their teams of which they were certainly integral parts. Are those the two you were thinking of?

Reaction Score
Just a question - I can think of Ann Strother and I think Tamika Williams as the two #1s not on the wall individually, though both are represented twice for their teams of which they were certainly integral parts. Are those the two you were thinking of?

Yes.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Java, this is a headache we don't need, BUT, let's play. Need to replace Stewart (not possible?) and Mo (same question). Kia stays at the 2 with Crystal D. at point. Stewart and Tuck on the wings, either Butler or Lauren Cox under the hoop (both true centers). In the unlikely case that Cox blunders and goes to another team, we may be looking at a Stef Dolson set up with Butler as Stef. I think that Collier's day will come when Tuck leaves. Gabby subs and Courtney starts the high 5's.

Guess the unlikely blunder happened

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Guess the unlikely blunder happened
hey hey hey... not so fast
c8e3349386722dfa0a67ab9b7d9ed8661ff79198d331ed1dbdb92503df1b19ce.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online