Three predictions | The Boneyard

Three predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I profess no inside knowledge, just a sense of where things are heading based on past performances, descriptions of newcomers, and several years of enjoying Geno's approach to the game. That said, I stick my neck out with three predictions:

1. Gabby will start over Natalie, regardless of Butler's health. The former produced impressive and remarkably efficient stats last season. She is a proven rebounder and a high percentage shooter who creates mismatches on the offensive end. Most importantly, she has the quickness to guard opponents on the perimeter. Most of our opponents are likely to attempt to counter our strength by going small, so having 3 bigs on the floor won't always be the best strategy.

2. Collier will be the AAC sixth woman of the year. She can play inside or on the wing on offense and will mix it up defensively as needed. She may not start many games, but she will be on the floor when it counts. Her work this summer for USA basketball sealed the deal for me.

3. Unless Saniya has a great early season run, Courtney will steal some of her minutes and wind up being a solid contributor -- providing of course that she regains her perimeter shooting touch. Even in limited minutes last season, I thought she was better at feeding the post than Saniya and we will have plenty of mouths to feed this season in the paint.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I profess no inside knowledge, just a sense of where things are heading based on past performances, descriptions of newcomers, and several years of enjoying Geno's approach to the game. That said, I stick my neck out with three predictions:

1. Gabby will start over Natalie, regardless of Butler's health. The former produced impressive and remarkably efficient stats last season. She is a proven rebounder and a high percentage shooter who creates mismatches on the offensive end. Most importantly, she has the quickness to guard opponents on the perimeter. Most of our opponents are likely to attempt to counter our strength by going small, so having 3 bigs on the floor won't always be the best strategy.

2. Collier will be the AAC sixth woman of the year. She can play inside or on the wing on offense and will mix it up defensively as needed. She may not start many games, but she will be on the floor when it counts. Her work this summer for USA basketball sealed the deal for me.

3. Unless Saniya has a great early season run, Courtney will steal some of her minutes and wind up being a solid contributor -- providing of course that she regains her perimeter shooting touch. Even in limited minutes last season, I thought she was better at feeding the post than Saniya and we will have plenty of mouths to feed this season in the paint.

Because you should not be alone in your bravery:

1. Credible, but I doubt it. We have 7-8 threads on this, and many back this theory. I like a true big and Natalie is that. Using a small forward as a big is hard on the small forward to say the least, though Geno has done it repeatedly when recruiting failed. We also do not have a 3 big lineup. Stewie is not a big, she's Stewie: sorta like a rover back on defense and on offense, well she's Stewie.

2. Quite easily possible. You are on a very thick limb there.

3. Hope you are right here. Saniya has been quite the contradiction: in a hellacious rush with a fatal maddening final moment hesitancy . I believe Courtney to be more game smart, with some of Shea Ralph's rambling wreck quality inside. If the 3 is back, lookout.

Reaction Score
Because you should not be alone in your bravery:

1. Credible, but I doubt it. We have 7-8 threads on this, and many back this theory. I like a true big and Natalie is that. Using a small forward as a big is hard on the small forward to say the least, though Geno has done it repeatedly when recruiting failed. We also do not have a 3 big lineup. Stewie is not a big, she's Stewie: sorta like a rover back on defense and on offense, well she's Stewie.

2. Quite easily possible. You are on a very thick limb there.

3. Hope you are right here. Saniya has been quite the contradiction: in a hellacious rush with a fatal maddening final moment hesitancy . I believe Courtney to be more game smart, with some of Shea Ralph's rambling wreck quality inside. If the 3 is back, lookout.

Hey Rock - I am not brave on this, just a different perspective.
1. Butler starts and I see her as a Dolson style center. Butler is a good rebounder and can outlet pass so the "fast pace" offense can continue.
2. Gabby will be 6th man in. Of course, Collier is so good it could be a battle for that spot.
3. You nailed the description of Chong. I can see it now in my mind's eye. However, Courtney is not fast enough to fill the point and is questionable at the two guard. Chong will be the first guard in. Courtney had a revelation this past summer that she said in an article that I read on the BY. She came to the conclusion that she will just do her best and let the chips fall where they may. She is a great teammate, a nice person, and really-really enjoys the whole UConn experience. Nevertheless, Lou showed last week that she is the best shooter on the bench and at 6'3" will be hard to guard. Lou gets all the time relegated to "we need a shooter in there."

Of course, just MHO--but I like the banter.

Reaction Score
I definitely don't agree with point number 1. Gabby is an extraordinarily gifted athlete but with her shooting limitations she isn't the answer on the interior. She might fit in some games working against a smaller and quicker team inside but in general, she isn't someone who should be spending massive amounts of time in the low post. Geno has had so much success with players like Stef and Kara and Butler seems to be out of the same mold so why wouldn't he utilize her. The fact that she's already established herself in COLLEGE against a higher level of talent and was the freshman of the year in the Big East BEFORE she was under the tutelage of Geno and his staff, competing in practice daily against some of the best talent in the country and evolving physically under the UConn staff says so much. That old adage, you can't teach size is so true. If Gabby has developed her outside shot, she is so much more of small forward type and would be a wonderful asset. Gabby should get a lot of minutes but I find it hard to believe she's UConn's best bet in the post

Reaction Score
I profess no inside knowledge, just a sense of where things are heading based on past performances, descriptions of newcomers, and several years of enjoying Geno's approach to the game. That said, I stick my neck out with three predictions...
As we volley back and forth with these level 1 predictions, why not also try on our big boy and big girl pants and take a shot at some level 2 predictions. Yes, it's going to be one hell of 2015/2016 concluding and celebrated with with another national championship, but how about who starts in 16/17?

I also will stick my neck out and go with Morgan, Kia, Natalie ...and two others. :D

We need a guard (Kia will probably be on the point) and a forward. Who's up for level 2?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All I can say is people sure do sell the unanimous #1 HS player in the country short - the one that broke most of KML's shooting records as MD - the one that beat Stewart in the 3 point semis, and lost to Moriah who shot something like 80% in the final (20-25 I believe.) She whose skill set most closely approximates the depart KML, but with 4 more inches, better handle, and faster release. She who has performed brilliantly for USA basketball when called upon.
Just saying ...
:eek::):cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As we volley back and forth with these level 1 predictions, why not also try on our big boy and big girl pants and take a shot at some level 2 predictions. Yes, it's going to be one hell of 2015/2016 concluding and celebrated with with another national championship, but how about who starts in 16/17?

I also will stick my neck out and go with Morgan, Kia, Natalie ...and two others. :D

We need a guard (Kia will probably be on the point) and a forward. Who's up for level 2?
That one is easy - Kia and Lou at guards, Butler center, Morgan and Collier at forwards with Chong, Cox :)rolleyes:), Danger, Gabby and Boykin as the second wave and Ek, Bent,Irwin and the Law as reserves!:cool:
Now 2017 is a little harder!:confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That one is easy - Kia and Lou at guards, Butler center, Morgan and Collier at forwards with Chong, Cox :)rolleyes:), Danger, Gabby and Boykin as the second wave and Ek, Bent,Irwin and the Law as reserves!:cool:

If Geno has the "stones" to start Lou at the 2 spot, she's going to be a matchup nightmare for most teams. She'll be able to stand behind the arc, and shoot 3's all day long.
Whoever guards her won't have a prayer of stopping her, or blocking (or changing) her shot. :D

Reaction Score
Courtney will never be as good as Chong... even with her "smarts"
I think that Ekmark will never be as good of a ball handler, defender, or overall athlete as Chong is, but I think that Ekmark is a better shooter, rebounder, and student of the game. IMHO injuries really took a toll on Ekmark last year and we just saw a shell of the player she can be.

Reaction Score
All I can say is people sure do sell the unanimous #1 HS player in the country short - the one that broke most of KML's shooting records as MD - the one that beat Stewart in the 3 point semis, and lost to Moriah who shot something like 80% in the final (20-25 I believe.) She whose skill set most closely approximates the depart KML, but with 4 more inches, better handle, and faster release. She who has performed brilliantly for USA basketball when called upon.
Just saying ...

Uc- I hear ya!! However, I think more people are looking at Lou (and Collier) as being eased in as the season goes along. There is not a dire need for holes to be filled. At least not at this moment. Of course, No real moment has occurred yet. For whatever the reason-- if the team is slogged down and not firing on all cylinders--and UConn needs some outside scoring, then I see Lou coming in there quick. It seems most posters do know how good Lou is as a top player. IMHO it is more of when will it happen.

Reaction Score

1- Danger (after a few games of Chong starting)
2- Kia
3/4 - KLS
3/4- Collier
5- Butler
Tuck gone to WNBA

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think that Ekmark will never be as good of a ball handler, defender, or overall athlete as Chong is, but I think that Ekmark is a better shooter, rebounder, and student of the game. IMHO injuries really took a toll on Ekmark last year and we just saw a shell of the player she can be.

I agree. However, I'd say we saw just a shell of a player she WILL be.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
SHOOTING: (last year)
Chong= 47%...................3 point=36%
Ekmark= 32%..................3 point=27%

Reaction Score
Courtney will never be as good as Chong... even with her "smarts"
Until you see Ekmark healthy from day one, I'm not ready to dismiss her as being capable of being as good as Chong! I don't know how big a step up from her freshman year to sophomore Chong did but it wasn't overtly significant and I'm inclined to think Ekmark has a substantially better likelihood to exceed her freshman year. You may be right but I just think it's a little too early to presume a healthy Emkark isn't going to far exceed what you've seen up to this point!

Reaction Score
SHOOTING: (last year)
Chong= 47%....3 point=36%
Ekmark= 32%...3 point=27%
For you to use last years statistics is silly. She was playing off a bum foot and never had a chance to get healthy and get her rhythm. Geno happens to think that Ekmark is a STELLAR shooter and obviously the numbers from last year don't point to that. Maybe Geno is an IDIOT! I think not, it has to do with her foot injury and if you don't have a good platform, your shooting is going to be very adversely affected. Even when Chong was hitting shots last year, it seems most of them were rattling in rather than swish shots! That suggests that her stroke isn't that of an exceptional shooter, like KML and KLS and a whole bunch of other skilled shooters. I feel Ekmark, healthy, has that type stroke and Geno has said previously her shooting skills are exceptional!

Reaction Score
Just saying ...
I couldn't agree more!!! I can't get over how much she's slighted here! The same goes for Butler and it boggles my mind. KLS has a wonderful basketball mind and she's so skilled!!! I think some of these BY'ers are going to eat some serious crow if their posts three or four years from now are brought back up. I think there's a possibility she can break Maya's scoring record and who doesn't think she has a reasonable chance to do exactly that? A lot would have to do with her playing time this first season and of course, health issues but there are those people who have loved KML's career after the fact but originally thought she was too slow and out of shape and that her defense was awful, particularly in the first couple of her years in Storrs! Their stories sure changed, didn't they??? KML seemed like a stationary shooter with great accuracy but KLS can shoot amazingly on the move as some of her high school and AAU videos have shown!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uc- I hear ya!! However, I think more people are looking at Lou (and Collier) as being eased in as the season goes along. There is not a dire need for holes to be filled. At least not at this moment. Of course, No real moment has occurred yet. For whatever the reason-- if the team is slogged down and not firing on all cylinders--and UConn needs some outside scoring, then I see Lou coming in there quick. It seems most posters do know how good Lou is as a top player. IMHO it is more of when will it happen.
Philly - I have said the same, and agree that with all the skilled players on the team with one or more years of playing D1 basketball (including Butler) it is likely that no freshman will start at least the beginning third of the season.
But ... just think there seems to be this love fest for Collier (deservedly - she is going to be a very good player here) at the expense of Lou who is a pretty incredible player as well. Of the new players coming in to the system - Butler most closely corresponds to the talents of Stef and Kiah who left over the last two years, while Lou most closely corresponds to last years departed starter KML.
Love Gabby's game but unless her outside shooting has truly blossomed she is still going to primarily be a slashers/rebounder
Ekmark I am hoping will show the potential she arrived in with a healthy year.
Chong is going to be vital in spelling Kia and Mo
Love Collier, but she too is a player that does most of her damage from 15 feet in.
Have really high hopes for Boykin, but she wants to be near the basket as well.

Butler is the only true center on the roster
Lou is likely to be the best new player from 15 feet out from the basket, and that is a role just vacated by the all time 3 pt made NCAA record holder.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Until you see Ekmark healthy from day one, I'm not ready to dismiss her as being capable of being as good as Chong! I don't know how big a step up from her freshman year to sophomore Chong did but it wasn't overtly significant and I'm inclined to think Ekmark has a substantially better likelihood to exceed her freshman year. You may be right but I just think it's a little too early to presume a healthy Emkark isn't going to far exceed what you've seen up to this point!
but we gave up on a sophomore Chong... who was behind KML, MoJett,with Nurse coming in as a Frosh taking over... and she was still ok as a 2nd yr player (ask Stanford). Ekmark has even more comp to a certain extent then may even have Dangerfield coming in on her heels.

Depending on her position... shooting guard, small forward, dont think she's a point guard or a power forward she's need to be a deadly shooter BUT they way folks are talking about KLS's shooting it doesnt look great for Courtney in my opinion

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone's being sold short, but this team is the deepest since 2001, so there are going to be some excellent players sitting a lot. Collier, KLS, and Gabby are all tremendous and will show a ton, but there flat out isn't room for all of them to get big minutes this year. Someone here is going to be Asjha Jones, not averaging 20 minutes a game until her senior year and being an Olympian.

Reaction Score
Because you should not be alone in your bravery: Agreed

. KLS has a wonderful basketball mind and she's so skilled!!! I think some of these BY'ers are going to eat some serious crow if their posts three or four years from now are brought back up. I think there's a possibility she can break Maya's scoring record and who doesn't think she has a reasonable chance to do exactly that?

Interesting observations.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I'm stuck with paralysis by analysis. I want to like this as long as Danger and Boykin get plenty of time on the floor and Molly gets AAC frosh of year, narrowly beating out Kyla and Cox narrowly beats out Butler (2d team AA) for total swats. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom