Thoughts on Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Hurley

Reaction Score
I would like to also but if he learned and doesn't feel as if we need to know I'm ok with it too. It happens again in a manner as obvious I will be beyond scared.
We'll get our answer Saturday. UConn should be using two bigs and pounding Creighton down low.

Reaction Score
Hurley is fine. The nit picking fanbase is awesome. If we can't argue about sub patterns, what's the use of a message board? I think this is all healthy debate.
I agree John Silver. Hurley is more than fine and has made this program relevant again in a short time. The debate - or rather pure speculation - on this board is quite entertaining though. And, it's amazing how many coaches and folks with inside information posting here! :)

Reaction Score
DH and JC both got their starts in Storrs at app. the same age. JC had 14 yrs of HC experience. DH had 8 yrs of HC experience. Coaches evolve as better coaches as do their players evolving as better players.

If you think JC didn't get outcoached early in his UConn yrs by the HOF coaches in the BE.You are wrong.

DH does not have a full squad due to injuries. He will occasionally have to play checkers with this team because of that reality. And he may make some moves that he can improve on when in those situations again.

Reaction Score
DH and JC both got their starts in Storrs at app. the same age. JC had 14 yrs of HC experience. DH had 8 yrs of HC experience. Coaches evolve as better coaches as do their players evolving as better players.

If you think JC didn't get outcoached early in his UConn yrs by the HOF coaches in the BE.You are wrong.

DH does not have a full squad due to injuries. He will occasionally have to play checkers with this team because of that reality. And he may make some moves that he can improve on when in those situations again.

JC ran into some very good coaches while at Northeastern and gave them fits. And as soon as he got talent equal to those he coached against in the Big East he out coached them much more often than not. But I see your point.

Reaction Score
JC ran into some very good coaches while at Northeastern and gave them fits. And as soon as he got talent equal to those he coached against in the Big East he out coached them much more often than not. But I see your point.
Talking early years in Storrs. His winning % speaks for itself..

Reaction Score
Talking early years in Storrs. His winning % speaks for itself..

Having Dom Pernos leftovers and winning an NIT with them and kid from the soccer/baseball team speaks for itself. He was great immediately when he was able to get his recruits, hence the Dream Season. One can only hope for the same from DH.

Reaction Score
JC is the GOAT. While we love Hurley, there's no comparison. He's the reason a kid like me from PA with no ties whatsoever to CT became a rabid UConn fan in college at Penn State in the 90s.

JC was the ultimate in this or getting this...

Underdog.
Grit.
Tough-Minded Lead Guards.
Chip on Shoulder Guys.

I doubt I'll ever meet him but he shaped my life in many ways, I was an athlete that struggled to be my true self at a younger age. Seeing that grit and toughness from JC for 10, 15, 20+ years made an impact on me to not let little things stop me.

I'm a mental performance coach for sports teams today and in finance and that grit and toughness he and his teams showed affect me to this day. It's helped indirectly in making me who I am. I LOVE JC, even as a coach when younger I was probably influenced too much by him for youth basketball lol!!!

If I could meet anyone on the planet, it would be JC. Taught me indirectly to be tough. Didn't need 10 McDonald's All-Americans to do it. Just tough-minded kids with some talent he could find.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing that I noticed as the game started and because of it was not surprised SJU won is they had played 6 more games than we had. When we let the first half lead evaporate and then did the same up 8 in the second half it put the pressure on us. It was our 3rd full game without our best player and we hit a wall as did the coach.

Reaction Score
JC is the GOAT. While we love Hurley, there's no comparison. He's the reason a kid like me from PA with no ties whatsoever to CT became a rabid UConn fan in college at Penn State in the 90s.

JC was the ultimate in this or getting this...

Underdog.
Grit.
Tough-Minded Lead Guards.
Chip on Shoulder Guys.

I doubt I'll ever meet him but he shaped my life in many ways, I was an athlete that struggled to be my true self at a younger age. Seeing that grit and toughness from JC for 10, 15, 20+ years made an impact on me to not let little things stop me.

I'm a mental performance coach for sports teams today and in finance and that grit and toughness he and his teams showed affect me to this day. It's helped indirectly in making me who I am. I LOVE JC, even as a coach when younger I was probably influenced too much by him for youth basketball lol!!!

If I could meet anyone on the planet, it would be JC. Taught me indirectly to be tough. Didn't need 10 McDonald's All-Americans to do it. Just tough-minded kids with some talent he could find.
BTW..Not comparing the two other than to say.. They started their careers at app. the same age.. And DH is still relatively inexperienced vs JC at this point in their coaching careers at UConn re: when they started.

JC is one-of-a-kind. Unique. I'm glad he impacted you in the way that you say he did. Can easily see why. I have had the pleasure of 4 or 5 very brief interactions with him over the years. I can tell you that he has a great sense of humor and is sincere in his love for Family and Friends.. Once you are in his inside circle.. He has your back to the grave.. How his Dad taught him to be..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have we ever played zone under Hurley?
Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I think Coach tried a little zone last year or year1. It wasn't effective and I think he got shet from his dad about playing zone. So if they are not practicing any zone defenses I doubt he will go to one in a game. This may be one of the few issues I have with his coaching. Our bread and butter is m2m but showing a different look is part of in game coaching

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom