Thoughts on Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Hurley

Reaction Score
Not responding on the subject but I am still upset about the SJ game. Ok carry on

Reaction Score
I think he has been open with Adama judging from the comments after the last game. Can (and many here do) disagree with the reasoning but Hurley and Adama were publicly on the same page that he wasn't in because St John's was playing 5 out
And, in the big picture, I'm sure what Hurley communicated to Sanogo throughout his recruitment was that he could come in right away, get some minutes, and learn behind senior bigs.

Remember, less than a year ago Sanogo was still a 2021 recruit. He committed and re-classified pretty late (not quite Drummond late, but still). It's not like we recruited him for years telling him he would be one and done. In a lot of ways, this year is like a bonus year.

So I'm not worried about Sanogo. If anything, I'd be more concerned about recruiting of future bigs, though on the other hand the development and usage of Whaley (and to a lesser extent Carlton) is a significant feather in Hurley's cap. Still, I think recruits would like to see Hurley give his young players, including bigs, a longer leash. That's how high-major college basketball operates in 2021.

Reaction Score
Lost in all the discussion is Akok. I thought he looked, moved, and played better than the prior Marquette game.

if he can continue to improve he’ll be getting more minutes at the 4 and 3. Whaley was tired at the end everyone saw Polley at his worse.

A fully healthy Akok getting 20+ minutes could’ve been the difference between an L and W against STJ and possiblythe difference against Creighton. If he continues his upward climb

Reaction Score
Lost in all the discussion is Akok. I thought he looked, moved, and played better than the prior Marquette game.

if he can continue to improve he’ll be getting more minutes at the 4 and 3. Whaley was tired at the end everyone saw Polley at his worse.

A fully healthy Akok getting 20+ minutes could’ve been the difference between an L and W against STJ and possiblythe difference against Creighton. If he continues his upward climb
We would all love if this happened, but per Hurley post game, he’s not even close to being 100% and really shouldn’t even be out there yet according to Hurley. He made it sound like he won’t be at 100% until next season.

Reaction Score
I'm not as worried as to whether he is discussing with Sanogo as to why he didn't play, I'm more concerned about the fact that Sanogo's not (nor is anyone else) stupid and saw the guys he had on the floor getting torched on one end and unable to score on the other. In that case there is no doubt he's thinking "Heck I can guard at least as well as that and I know I can score on the other end to help the team." Really that simple, so all in all I hope he understands he needs to play him especially when he can. I mean much of the year has also been on Sanogo (and the refs) for 2 quick fouls and I agree, needs to sit at that point. But there have been times he's seen no time after his early fouls and that's just not good for a kid that talented. I mean won't get me to stop thinking about how awful it was not to have seen Adama for at least half the last 12 minutes, it's still painful.

Reaction Score
We would all love if this happened, but per Hurley post game, he’s not even close to being 100% and really shouldn’t even be out there yet according to Hurley. He made it sound like he won’t be at 100% until next season.

Yeah remember that bouncy, active guy last year pre injury. Not even close as of yet, hope he slowly comes back to that guy would be a huge difference for sure.

Reaction Score
Regardless, he was out there and I thought he looked better. Doesn’t matter if he’s 100% this year, just keep getting better.

Reaction Score
I would have gone with the big lineup and play some zone to cover up our defensive deficiencies but Hurly is a stubborn Capricorn and he never changed.
Have we ever played zone under Hurley?

Reaction Score
I want us to beat creighton, just so I can see something

Reaction Score

Not much at all, none this year. Just hoping maybe they worked a little on it the last couple days based on some recent history, would be a good idea.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Not much at all, none this year. Just hoping maybe they worked a little on it the last couple days based on some recent history, would be a good idea.
There is like a 99.9% chance they won't play zone vs Creighton. So doubt they would practice it this week.

Reaction Score
There is like a 99.9% chance they won't play zone vs Creighton. So doubt they would practice it this week.

There was 99.9% chance they were going to play once vs the Johnnies too. How did that work out? I'm just saying after watching that defensive performance options are a nice thing in order to play the players you need to give you the best chance. Sometimes you need to get away from stubborn. Nose picker has given his teams very little chance to win games or comeback late on larger deficits because he won't get out of the zone. Be flexible!

Reaction Score
We did that first year under Hurley but almost nothing since. Without Bouk out there we have to think about going back to it if we are going to play 5 guards at once.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There was 99.9% chance they were going to play once vs the Johnnies too. How did that work out? I'm just saying after watching that defensive performance options are a nice thing in order to play the players you need to give you the best chance. Sometimes you need to get away from stubborn. Nose picker has given his teams very little chance to win games or comeback late on larger deficits because he won't get out of the zone. Be flexible!
Sure flexibility and adaptability is important in the team success this season .

I just don't see any zone d vs our next opponent under Hurley. So doubt he would use the time this week for it. That doesn't mean it won't be practiced afterwards.

Btw, the Big East teams don't like to throw the zone in general. We faced a lot more vs AAC teams.

Reaction Score
The point is you play a zone like we could have and should have because they're a poor 3 point shooting team who you want to dare to shoot the ball. Doing that against Creighton is a recipe for disaster because they're a great shooting team

Reaction Score
Sure flexibility and adaptability is important in the team success this season .

I just don't see any zone d vs our next opponent under Hurley. So doubt he would use the time this week for it. That doesn't mean it won't be practiced afterwards.

Btw, the Big East teams don't like to throw the zone in general. We faced a lot more vs AAC teams.

Ok but Creighton is a more talented team than Johnnies and will more than likely copy what the Johnnies did. Small team, biggest guy is Bishop at 6'7 (occasionally the big freshman but not much) the rest 6' to 6'5 (listed probably smaller) and they can all get to the hole. Mahoney, Jefferson a lot like Wusu forth Johnnies except better players. I expect them to see what was done to us last half of the 2nd half and give that a run again by spreading out their offense. If our guys play defense the same it will be ugly. Jay Wright mixed in zone vs the Hall last night when he needed to make up for some size discrepancies. Have to have it in your pocket especially when down a guy and potentially needing to go to a bigger line up vs smaller match ups. You're right he may not, but it's mistake to not at least try if the time comes you're getting torched again.

Reaction Score
As a now retired BB coach and watching Johnnies drive by and uncontested to the basket, I said to my wife, " Now he should go zone &
put S back into game"
Unfortunately, he did not and ultimately lost the game.
Hopefully, H learned from his mistake.
Ciao

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know we have a million threads on this, but wanted to offer some positive spin. I blame at least 50% of the loss yesterday on Hurley deciding he wanted to be a mail instead of a hammer. When you have the more talented team, you are ALWAYS the hammer, he needs to not forget that.

Here’s my take on it. He already knows he screwed up even if he hasn’t admitted it publicly. He also has too many good mentors to not learn from this (his father, JC, Geno among others). Just like players need to learn from their mistakes coaches do too. Luckily this mistake was learned during the regular season. Don’t let it happen come post season time! The team will learn and move forward. Also, make your damn free throws and your coach doesn’t look so bad.
His interview with Dom Amore revealed zero admission of any misjudgments on his part and that is more than a little concern. If the players can say they sucked on certain nights, the coach can certainly say they screwed up. To state that Polley was horrible defensively and it threw his offensive game off yet leave him in the last 10 minutes blows my mind.
He claims that Adama wasn't in because of the guard lineup that the Johnnies had employed. I am no Hall of Fame coach but why not try a little zone so you could get a rim protector and rebounder, never mind best player of the day, in there?
I was very disappointed in his answers.
As I have said, DH is a great recruiter but myself and plenty of others that I am friendly with who have been loyal fans/season ticket holders for decades were concerned with his game coaching skills. I still do but am hoping that he will evolve yet needs to lose that I am always right attitude. Win consistently in the big arena and that attitude is easier to swallow.
As you stated, coaches must learn from their mistakes but part of that process is admitting them and someone in the public limelight should have no issue with admitting to them publicly. Even if he said that we (the coaching staff) made some mistakes or need to relook at some decision we made (without speaking specifics) - that may alleviate some of the frustration and concern.
I coached soccer at high levels for many years and I made a ton of mistakes early on and I was mentored to face them and talk them out - don't hide behind them.
No he didn't single handedly lose the game but he played a bigger part in it than he should have, JMHO

Reaction Score
I can’t believe there are so many threads on this and about Hurley. He’s great and some of the loss can be on him, but he also didn’t miss a ton of free throws or bunnies around the hoop. If the guys can finish it would’ve been a W with Adama on the bench. It’s one loss and they will happen, move on to the next

Reaction Score
People want Coach Hurley to publicly own up to his mistakes yet you don't really want a coach or anyone else in a leadership role who so easily admits mistakes. It's pretty clear from the chat during the game to the fallout since that Sanogo should have been in the game. Those things are best handled in the clubhouse. Coach Calhoun was about as arrogant as it gets but that was part of his charm. Starting to publicly admit mistakes isn't the best approach to earning respect and confidence from the team and the fans.

Reaction Score
As long as Hurley is accountable to himself and the team then I don't care what he says publicly.

Rico I agree. He doesn't disclose about injuries or update all that much so if he's the same with his discussions he may have with someone like Sanogo privately we don't need to know, none of our business. If he's owning up to a crap show to his team and telling them he will do better, and expect more of the same from them in the same breath then all is well.

Reaction Score
HIs reasoning that if an opponent goes small all our big men have to come out of the game is downright scary. I would like to hear him clarify that position.

I would like to also but if he learned and doesn't feel as if we need to know I'm ok with it too. It happens again in a manner as obvious I will be beyond scared.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom