Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Very simply, I am thinking recruited players first, not team. For example, I just don't want to see Nika's minutes affected. Even now, I want to see Nika on the floor more. Regarding 2023, you don't really know if the incoming guards would be affected at this point. Could there be another RAP in 2023?
Well, portal players are being recruited by the new teams and good thing Geno and virtually EVERY other coach in the NCAA disagrees with you as they want to win. Talent trumps status quo. And it is about competing so in Nika's case, I am sure she will both work on her offensive game and will relish the new competition from anyone that comes in.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, portal players are being recruited by the new teams and good thing Geno and virtually EVERY other coach in the NCAA disagrees with you as they want to win. Talent trumps status quo. And it is about competing so in Nika's case, I am sure she will both work on her offensive game and will relish the new competition from anyone that comes in.
Plus, the reality is UConn is losing two guards to graduation and is not replacing those guards next season with recruits. Imagine playing the current season without Christyn and Evina.

sun

Reaction Score
Abby only played 3 years so far and may be able to play 2 more years if she can get a 6th year waiver.

I don't believe that a transfer's presence should have very much impact on recruiting since Saylor was intended to remain at UConn as well as 2 others who transferred out.
And the weaker BIg East teams do allow opportunity for freshmen to learn how to play without there being as much pressure and worry about not winning the conference.
Most power teams have a full roster of 15-16 players and many coaches have learned how to make substitutions.
But realistically a transfer probably wouldn't normally play more than 20 minutes anyway unless playing against a ranked team or due to an injury.
If a transfer wants more PT than that then she should go elsewhere.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But also imagine a year where Paige plays 650 more minutes, Azzi plays 400 more minutes, Caroline and Nika play 300 more minutes and both Aubrey and Ayanna gets some minutes.

I am not against bringing in someone off the Portal and Abby has an exposure to a Uconnesque system which is a benefit. I just don't think it is a desperate need.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very simply, I am thinking recruited players first, not team. For example, I just don't want to see Nika's minutes affected. Even now, I want to see Nika on the floor more. Regarding 2023, you don't really know if the incoming guards would be affected at this point. Could there be another RAP in 2023?
:eek:Aw.. finally the truth comes out-you don't want UCONN to pursue Abby because you think Nika's minutes will be adversely effected. So when UCONN recruited Nika, did you not want Evina's minutes to be effected then? Is UCONN to adopt a no impact to Nika minutes going forward or does that apply to some of the other players on the current team?

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t North Carolina be her first option? Her old coach is there, one of her old teammates went there, and the school has always had an excellent academic reputation. That would be my guess.

Reaction Score
Abby only played 3 years so far and may be able to play 2 more years if she can get a 6th year waiver.

I don't believe that a transfer's presence should have very much impact on recruiting since Saylor was intended to remain at UConn as well as 2 others who transferred out.
And the weaker BIg East teams do allow opportunity for freshmen to learn how to play without there being as much pressure and worry about not winning the conference.
Most power teams have a full roster of 15-16 players and many coaches have learned how to make substitutions.
But realistically a transfer probably wouldn't normally play more than 20 minutes anyway unless playing against a ranked team or due to an injury.
Yes, let them go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
:eek:Aw.. finally the truth comes out-you don't want UCONN to pursue Abby because you think Nika's minutes will be adversely effected. So when UCONN recruited Nika, did you not want Evina's minutes to be effected then? Is UCONN to adopt a no impact to Nika minutes going forward or does that apply to some of the other players on the current team?
Recruited Nika? Talking about transfers.Stay on subject.

Reaction Score

Abby has one year of eligibility remaining. Didn't play the Covid year so she doesn't get a free year of eligibility.

sun

Reaction Score
Abby has one year of eligibility remaining. Didn't play the Covid year so she doesn't get a free year of eligibility.
Abby has played 3 of the last 4 years including 2019-2020, the year that the NCAAT was cancelled.
AFAIK, all athletes were granted an extra year of eligibility whether they competed in 2020-2021 or not, which Abby did not.
My understanding is that she could have 6 years to exercise 5 years of NCAA eligibility.
As I mentioned, it's possible that she might need a waiver to be granted the 6th year extension, but I believe that others have been able to do it.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Abby has only played 3 of the last 4 years including 2019-2020, the year that the NCAAT was cancelled.
AFAIK, all athletes were granted an extra year of eligibility whether they competed in 2020-2021 or not, which Abby did not.
My understanding is that she could have 6 years to exercise 5 years of NCAA eligibility.
As I mentioned, it's possible that she might need a waiver to be granted the 6th year extension, but I believe that others have been able to do it.
I do not believe what you describe is accurate. For those who played during the 2020-2021 season, that year does not count towards their 4 years of eligibility. Those players get an extra (5th) year of eligibility. Those players who did not play during the 2020-2021 season get an extra (6th) year to complete their 4 years of eligibility. Meyer's situation falls in to the latter category. She'll now have an extra (6th) year to complete her 4 years of eligibility.

sun

Reaction Score
I do not believe what you describe is accurate. For those who played during the 2020-2021 season, that year does not count towards their 4 years of eligibility. Those players get an extra (5th) year of eligibility. Those players who did not play during the 2020-2021 season get an extra (6th) year to complete their 4 years of eligibility. Meyer's situation falls in to the latter category. She'll now have an extra (6th) year to complete her 4 years of eligibility.
The Ivy League cancelled their basketball season for 2020-21 for which the NCAA extended eligibility.
Even though the Ivy League did not compete, at least some of the Ivy League schools still had practices and a roster.
One of the articles that I cited above, and the Yale WBB web page states that a year of eligibility will not be counted for that year whether the student enrolls or not due to covid.
I truely believe that covers Abby for granting her the 5th year of eligibility.
Here's the page that states that all winter athletes are covered by the NCAA covid extension.

And here's the Yale WBB page that states that the athlete doesn't even need to be enrolled for the 2020 - 2021 season for them to not have the year counted against their eligibility.

I'm not a lawyer, and even lawyers can have different opinions.
But if there's an honest question about whether Abby has 2 more years of eligibility or not, then please post a reference or let the NCAA decide how they enforce their own policy.
She's only played 3 years and I have posted reference pages to the best of my ability.
I'm giving my opinion about what the policy means because others have stated their own opinion that she only has 1 year remaining which I dispute based on what I've read.
No one is posting any references, only their opinions.
Since Abby hasn't transferred yet, then I'll defer to the NCAA and wait until the time comes when she transfers.
How long she decides to play may not coincide with how long the NCAA would allow her to play to maximize her eligibility.
And if that's the case then we'll never know how many seasons of NCAA BB that she has left unless we see that she actually spends 2 more years playing.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
One good plus for getting Abby would be that she knows the system. Unlike Dorka , who played a very different game at Ohio State, Carla plays a similar offense to UConn, so Abby would be quick to intertwine into our offensive scheme. If we want to get someone for one year(which is what we prefer), Abby might be the best option out there for us.

Reaction Score
The Ivy League cancelled their basketball season for 2020-21 for which the NCAA extended eligibility.
Even though the Ivy League did not compete, at least some of the Ivy League schools still had practices and a roster.
One of the articles that I cited above, and the Yale WBB web page states that a year of eligibility will not be counted for that year whether the student enrolls or not due to covid.
I truely believe that covers Abby for granting her the 5th year of eligibility.
Here's the page that states that all winter athletes are covered by the NCAA covid extension.

And here's the Yale WBB page that states that the athlete doesn't even need to be enrolled for the 2020 - 2021 season for them to not have the year counted against their eligibility.

I'm not a lawyer, and even lawyers can have different opinions.
But if there's an honest question about whether Abby has 2 more years of eligibility or not, then please post a reference or let the NCAA decide how they enforce their own policy.
She's only played 3 years and I have posted reference pages to the best of my ability.
I'm giving my opinion about what the policy means because others have stated their own opinion that she only has 1 year remaining which I dispute based on what I've read.
No one is posting any references, only their opinions.
Since Abby hasn't transferred yet, then I'll defer to the NCAA and wait until the time comes when she transfers.
How long she decides to play may not coincide with how long the NCAA would allow her to play to maximize her eligibility.
And if that's the case then we'll never know how many seasons of NCAA BB that she has left unless we see that she actually spends 2 more years playing.
From the first article in your original post"

"Last year, the NCAA granted student athletes the ability to extend their own eligibility if their team was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Student athletes normally have five years to play four seasons of their sport. The NCAA extended this eligibility into six years to play all four seasons."

Check, Abby gets a sixth year to do her four years.

"All winter and fall sports from this past year automatically qualify for s season of competition waiver. The season of competition waiver means that none of the seasons for these teams count towards a student’s year of eligibility."

IF a player competed in 20-21 it does not count as a year of competition. Of course if she doesn't play it doesn't count as a year either.

In other words, everyone gets four years of competition. Exception the Covid year 20-21 which does not count as a year of competiton. Abby has played three years not including 20-21. She has one year of competition remaining. If she had played in 20-21 she would have had an effective 5 years, but she didn't so she don't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
there's a big difference between "not being unhappy" and actually being happy..........I'll never understand exactly why Azura and Geno failed to click at UConn but it was somewhat of a disapointment.....
I think it is a simple as he wanted her to focus on becoming the player she was this past year in the wnba as a true big and I don't think she had reached that conclusion yet.... She thought then that she could still be a SF who jacks up 3s. Maturity and knowledge comes when it does....

Reaction Score
I think it is a simple as he wanted her to focus on becoming the player she was this past year in the wnba as a true big and I don't think she had reached that conclusion yet.... She thought then that she could still be a SF who jacks up 3s. Maturity and knowledge comes when it does....
exactly right........ and I think that sometimes showed in her play which intern led to her being on the bench during important moments.......

sun

Reaction Score
I do not believe what you describe is accurate.
From the first article in your original post"

In other words, everyone gets four years of competition. Exception the Covid year 20-21 which does not count as a year of competiton. Abby has played three years not including 20-21. She has one year of competition remaining. If she had played in 20-21 she would have had an effective 5 years, but she didn't so she don't.
I believe that you're both correct.
Thanks for correcting my error.

"Granting the extra year of eligibility allows all student-athletes to have the standard number of years of eligibility plus whatever part of this season is played."

Reaction Score
I really don't get it. Year after year Maryland starters leave and more rush in. Of course I have always considered Princeton the least academic of Ivies.
The last Ivy League transfer did pretty, pretty well there.

Reaction Score
I really don't get it. Year after year Maryland starters leave and more rush in. Of course I have always considered Princeton the least academic of Ivies.
She is coming from Ivy League school maybe she has some academic interest that is offered at Maryland plus wants to be close to home? Not everything is strictly basketball. I'm sure basketball is big part but Maryland was in Sweet 16 last year its not like she is going to a 3 win team. Also I think we are past the point now with 1000 in the portal annually that transfer automatically means the team has an issue, maybe the kids have an issue because as we see with some players they keep transferring they are never happy. Its not always the school

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom