Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your list of players omits any mention of Aubrey. I presume that is because you view her as a 4, but I think that is the wrong place for her.

For one thing, there will be a lot of competition at the 4 next year: Aaliyah, Ice, and Ayanna to begin with. Aubrey is not, and never will be, big enough and bulky enough to contend for rebounds against other teams with size. She needs to develop a midrange jump shot, and then the 3 is the obvious position for her, probably as a backup to Caroline at the beginning of the year. After that, who knows?

If Abby should don blue and white (definitely TBD), then I agree with you that Paige / Azzi / Abby / Nika will be the guard corps, and I think four guards are definitely needed to protect against fouls / injuries / excessive minutes leading to late-season fatigue. If none of them are excessively concerned with personal minutes, I think 80 minutes to spread among them would allow each of them to make a significant contribution, and allow Geno to go with the hot hand on any given night.

On the other hand, if Abby or someone like her does not transfer in, then UConn will be uncomfortably thin in the back court. In that case, Aubrey would be the most expedient solution as the "fourth guard", assuming that she has a jump shot that is at least as good as Nika's. I certainly hope that will be the case.
That is not my presumption at all. Aubrey if heathy will backup Caroline at SF. Thus far Aubrey has not shown that she can play the guard position at the level required.

Reaction Score
I just think it’s harder to transition into a PG role than out of a PG role. Meyers doesn’t initiate the offense at the Ivy League level and hasn’t averaged more than 1.6 APG. I don’t think she’d do it against a better schedule, either.
You don't need to be a PG to gather assists .. didn't Liv, inter alia, lead the team in assists this year?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
As far as I know...we simply don't know. But I would think a conversation with Carla would happen about the transfer and
I can easily imagine that UConn would at least be mentioned. Hoping Abby gets to Bridgeport [pretty near Storrs] after beating Indiana.

Reaction Score
ONO's development and contributions this year have been "mirabile dictu"! Z
Liv has been the best rebounder, shot-blocker, passer, screen-setter and intimidator for several years, not just this year .. our poor-passing guards are inadequate at getting her the ball, otherwise she'd be averaging 15 ppg and be an AA .. it's puzzling that she gets [many] less minutes than other starters but despite this still outperforms .. she's vastly under-appreciated and is, notwithstanding, my favourite Husky by far :)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I believe that Stanford only gives up grad transfers and doesn't take them: Sniezek, Thompson, Dodson.
Jordan Hamilton grad transferred this past season to Stanford from Northwestern. First time that's happened, but it suggests Tara is both open and eager to explore possibilities where grad transfers have the academic chops to get into a grad program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be odd if Abby started commenting about future teams while Princeton is still in playoffs?
Awkward Ed Helms GIF by The Office

Especially considering these two team could be meeting in Bridgeport in a few days.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Abby's final game at Princeton was not her best. 4-15 from the field and 4 fouls in 31 minutes. Even so, whoever gets her will have someone with a beautiful stroke.

Reaction Score
Purely speculation, but I would not be surprised if she made a quick decision. When you put your name in the portal while you are still playing for your existing team, it can be a little awkward. But in her case as a grad transfer without the option in the Ivy League of staying put, it is less so. Still even if you had a good idea what you wanted to do, good form would say table the discussion and speculation until your season has ended.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
She may very well follow her former teammate and coach to North Carolina.

Reaction Score
From my amateur sleuthing, it seems like she only follows coaches from Princeton, UNC and UMD on Instagram. That may change as more teams get involved with her season over.

Reaction Score
A "sheer guess" is that her decision comes after all the tournament games and other hooplah
settles down. It it appears that she has interest in UNC and Maryland, then here's reason
to root for U of Carolina and U of Maryland to lose and UCONN to advance and win four
more games. But...... wouldn't it be nice to have UNC beat
South Carolina and have Maryland beat Stanford? ... humm.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't believe that to be correct on a couple of fronts.
1) Evelyn Adebayo transferred into UCONN with only one year of eligibility remaining. Geno also expressed strong interest in the following players, with one year of eligibility remaining, before they ultimately decided to transfer elsewhere: Anriel Howard (TA&M) , Danni Williams (TA&M), Sarah Imovbioh (UVA) & DiJonai Carrington (Stanford). It depends on the player and the team needs but I would not say that Geno has "never" had interest in one year players.
2) I would also not say that Azura lied- that is way too harsh. I also don't think Geno would extract a promise from any recruit to remain at UCONN for any duration- he's much too straight forward for that. Geno's straight forward pitch regardless of the recruit is this simple: Come to UCONN, be prepared to work hard and get better, and stay as long as you are happy. Azura Stevens is also not the only UCONN WBB player to leave UCONN with remaining eligibility. Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler and Megan Walker all left UCONN with remaining eligibility and could have perhaps been contributors on UCONN championship teams.
Pretty good post, dude.

I don't think Azura lied, either. "Reneged" might be a better word, or "felt compelled to go in a different direction" given changed circumstances.

I think about the Megan W. situation occasionally. Had she stayed, and assuming chemistry, last year's team would have been the team to beat. Her leaving is one reason I think last year's team over-achieved.

On the flip side of all of this: Thank goodness Evina came back!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom