Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton

Reaction Score
And all this talk about picking up someone from somewhere, when we're in the midst of this season's tournament, is ridiculous.

sun

Reaction Score
And all this talk about picking up someone from somewhere, when we're in the midst of this season's tournament, is ridiculous.
No one will know she's a ringer, tell her to suit up!

jol47-1604506149-2350-quiz_question_image_-marcia_brady.jpg

Reaction Score
I disagree that we shouldn’t look elsewhere as well. We have seen this season what could happen with injuries and illness. It would be smart to at least show interest in players that would make the team better and deeper. Obviously our main focus is on the immediate games ahead but it would be irresponsible not to keep an eye on the transfer portal. I don’t believe that UConn needs a freshman or sophomore or junior but a senior or super senior could definitely help for the immediate future.

Reaction Score
I disagree that we shouldn’t look elsewhere as well. We have seen this season what could happen with injuries and illness. It would be smart to at least show interest in players that would make the team better and deeper. Obviously our main focus is on the immediate games ahead but it would be irresponsible not to keep an eye on the transfer portal. I don’t believe that UConn needs a freshman or sophomore or junior but a senior or super senior could definitely help for the immediate future.
Well, I don't like the whole rent-a -player thing. It's difficult enough for high school players to decide where to go. If a high school player sees someone committing ahead of them to a particular school, that might play into their decision re that school. The rent-a-player thing is totally beyond their control. Recruited players should feel that they can go to a school, work hard, develop their games, and earn minutes thru their 4 years. And so do I. With RAP they can be leap-frogged, as most 5th year RAP's are going to expect major minutes when they come in. A player as good as Meyers will definitely impact the minutes of UConn players, and I don't want a RAP impacting UConn players minutes. I think recruited players are owed that much. For sure, this is a minority view.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, I don't like the whole rent-a -player thing. It's difficult enough for high school players to decide where to go. If a high school player sees someone committing ahead of them to a particular school, that might play into their decision re that school. The rent-a-player thing is totally beyond their control. Recruited players should feel that they can go to a school, work hard, develop their games, and earn minutes thru their 4 years. And so do I. With RAP they can be leap-frogged, as most 5th year RAP's are going to expect major minutes when they come in. A player as good as Meyers will definitely impact the minutes of UConn players, and I don't want a RAP impacting UConn players minutes. I think recruited players are owed that much. For sure, this is a minority view.
Well isn't that the point-why bring in any player (RAP or HS recruit) unless you think they can get minutes? As far as RAP I guess Dorka on the current team is not doing anything for you?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well isn't that the point-why bring in any player (RAP or HS recruit) unless you think they can get minutes? As far as RAP I guess Dorka on the current team is not doing anything for you?
Beyond that, any player who comes to UConn out of high school is accepting the risk that someone in the next high school class, or the one after that, will be better than she is and take minutes away from her.

Piath and Amari may well lose minutes next year to Ice and Ayanna. While they may not have known those specific names when they signed up to attend UConn, they certainly knew (as every player does) that they might be displaced by a younger recruit in the next class.

There is only one solution for players in Piath's or Amari's predicament, and that is to outcompete the new arrivals in practice and in early-season games. Since they already know the coaches, the expectations, and the offensive and defensive systems, the older players should have a built-in advantage, but that doesn't mean that a new player might not beat them out anyway for playing time.

Reaction Score
I understand to a degree that the four year player is good for players and coaches, and should be a higher priority than a rent a player. But in the current world **** happens, players leave, or players you thought you had a good chance of recruiting go elsewhere etc. In some cases filling a temporary need with a RAP can actually be respectful of existing and incoming players.

We thought we had a decent chance at Kiki Rice. In my opinion if she had committed to us we wouldn't be clamoring so much for Abby Myers. At that point there were no more Uconn level high school recruits to be plan B. We had 6 guards this year, and for a number of games, 3 of those were out at the same time and we didn't have anybody to give our starters there a rest.

Next year we only have 4 (I count Aubrey more as a big), and clearly we need at least one more and the portal is the only option. In some ways I believe pursuing a player like Abby for just one year is showing respect for existing and future players. Consider it from the perspective of KK or Ashlyn. The year after next, they come on board and we have plenty of guards again. Adding Abby or a similar player for just one year doesn't interfere with them at all. As for existing players, the one most potentially affected is Nika.

Nika is a point guard, not a SG or SF. At a minimum I think she will get Paige's backup minutes even with a good player from the portal. The main benefit from a portal pickup would be to help at the 2/3 and be more of a scorer than Nika, who could provide a defensive alternative for spot minutes there. In essence that would be a very good 5 player rotation for the 1,2 &3 and then when the 2023 guards come on board the rent a player is gone.

I think with the current situation, a RAP fitting a specific need for one year, that improves the team, saves a role in the rotation for players that are there now, and doesn't impact our 2023 guard recruits at all is actually pretty respectful of current and future players. Now if we pursue someone with three years of eligibility remaining, that is different, but I don't think we will do that.

Reaction Score
Pretty good post, dude.

I don't think Azura lied, either. "Reneged" might be a better word, or "felt compelled to go in a different direction" given changed circumstances.

I think about the Megan W. situation occasionally. Had she stayed, and assuming chemistry, last year's team would have been the team to beat. Her leaving is one reason I think last year's team over-achieved.

On the flip side of all of this: Thank goodness Evina came back!
Let's be fair here, commitment is a two-way street. Perhaps Azura felt that Geno's commitment to her was not at the level that she expected, given how underutilized she was down the stretch. Perhaps she expected a greater presence on the team, who knows?

Reaction Score
With the UConn program under GA, it was never about playing time. It's about improving the team. Abby Myers will improve the team. Enough said. Miss Myers has options, many options. She and her family, friends and coaches will advise her. She is pretty knowledgeable about her options. I wish her the best whatever she choose to engage in. Of course I am sure GA and CD would like to have Abby Myers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's be fair here, commitment is a two-way street. Perhaps Azura felt that Geno's commitment to her was not at the level that she expected, given how underutilized she was down the stretch. Perhaps she expected a greater presence on the team, who knows?
Neither was the case.
In her own words: " "I wasn't unhappy there, at all," she said. "On campus, the support I received from them, and the things they were able to help me do as a player and a person, that's what I was looking for when I decided to go to UConn. And they did that for me. I know the fans think X, Y and Z about different things, but the bottom line is I wasn't unhappy. This was just my choice and my decision to just move on to a new adventure."

Strange but true Azura just wanted to get on with her life and pursue her WNBA dream. I'm not sure why some UCONN fans as still retelling this story differently.

Reaction Score
Neither was the case.
In her own words: " "I wasn't unhappy there, at all," she said. "On campus, the support I received from them, and the things they were able to help me do as a player and a person, that's what I was looking for when I decided to go to UConn. And they did that for me. I know the fans think X, Y and Z about different things, but the bottom line is I wasn't unhappy. This was just my choice and my decision to just move on to a new adventure."

Strange but true Azura just wanted to get on with her life and pursue her WNBA dream. I'm not sure why some UCONN fans as still retelling this story differently.
there's a big difference between "not being unhappy" and actually being happy..........I'll never understand exactly why Azura and Geno failed to click at UConn but it was somewhat of a disapointment.....

Reaction Score
Beyond that, any player who comes to UConn out of high school is accepting the risk that someone in the next high school class, or the one after that, will be better than she is and take minutes away from her.

Piath and Amari may well lose minutes next year to Ice and Ayanna. While they may not have known those specific names when they signed up to attend UConn, they certainly knew (as every player does) that they might be displaced by a younger recruit in the next class.

There is only one solution for players in Piath's or Amari's predicament, and that is to outcompete the new arrivals in practice and in early-season games. Since they already know the coaches, the expectations, and the offensive and defensive systems, the older players should have a built-in advantage, but that doesn't mean that a new player might not beat them out anyway for playing time.
This amounts to turning the players/team into wholes for the satisfaction of what? a NC? If such a player were to SIGN with Uconn for 2-years would an incoming freshman pt have a chance of playing over such a senior and talented guard? This is radically different from a scenario in which the team recruits freshmen in a up and coming class. And the point about bringing in a guard and finding time for her by putting a front court player on the bench is equally distasteful.
Of course things have changed on this Board; it is now winning at any cost-- including cheating. Afterall, others are doing it! Yet, it might be the way in which we survive because there are rough roads ahead-- as this tournament is showing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This amounts to turning the players/team into wholes for the satisfaction of what? a NC? If such a player were to SIGN with Uconn for 2-years would an incoming freshman pt have a chance of playing over such a senior and talented guard? This is radically different from a scenario in which the team recruits freshmen in a up and coming class. And the point about bringing in a guard and finding time for her by putting a front court player on the bench is equally distasteful.
Of course things have changed on this Board; it is now winning at any cost-- including cheating. Afterall, others are doing it! Yet, it might be the way in which we survive because there are rough roads ahead-- as this tournament is showing.
:eek:Cheating? Name one single poster on the BY that has advocated cheating! Talk about distasteful!

Reaction Score
The paywall prevented me from reading the article but I don't doubt she had a great overall experience as a member of the team...........that said, it seemed pretty clear to me at the time that she wasn't thrilled with the way she was being used on the court or on the bench.........

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The paywall prevented me from reading the article but I don't doubt she had a great overall experience as a member of the team...........that said, it seemed pretty clear to me at the time that she wasn't thrilled with the way she was being used on the court or on the bench.........
What facts do you have to support this? What made it "pretty clear" to you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What are you even talking about! Azura was a very stoic personality-it is literally impossible for you or anyone else to discern unhappiness form her play on the court or the bench. She was this same way at Duke and continues to be the say way in the WNBA. She sure looks happy here!
1648220150926.png

Reaction Score
Not getting drawn into a fight but suffice it to say if you believe that Azura was thrilled with her playing time and felt she was used to her best potential while at UConn then we will just have to agree to disagree......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not getting drawn into a fight but suffice it to say if you believe that Azura was thrilled with her playing time and felt she was used to her best potential while at UConn then we will just have to agree to disagree......
I'm afraid it doesn't suffice! This is like you coming into a full room and farting thus stinking up the room and casually walk out as if you weren't the one that farted. Azura told us she was not unhappy at UCONN-you want us to believe otherwise. I can't agree to disagree about that because I believe her and not you.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid it doesn't suffice! This is like you coming into a full room and farting thus stinking up the room and casually walk out as if you weren't the one that farted. Azura told us she was not unhappy at UCONN-you want us to believe otherwise. I can't agree to disagree about that because I believe her and not you.
If you really think that Azura's time at UConn was a great success the more power to you........I think she and Geno both struggled trying to figure out how best to use her and it took a toll on her play.............bottom line..........it didn't lead to an NC as many thought it might..........enough said.........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Awkward....
Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Back on Point, the Portal is here to stay and offers another opportunity for immediate improvement with players that you have more information about-performance at the collegiate level vs. High school or Travel teams.

If Abby has an interest in UConn and with Morgan now following her, UConn has an interest in her, I am sure a discussion will occur about the role and opportunities UConn offers her. Just remember that OSU had a UConn assistant on their staff and Dorka also knew Nika...The UConn bond exists...stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Dorka is a great young lady, but that doesn't change how I feel about RAP.

Reaction Score
Awkward....
Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Back on Point, the Portal is here to stay and offers another opportunity for immediate improvement with players that you have more information about-performance at the collegiate level vs. High school or Travel teams.

If Abby has an interest in UConn and with Morgan now following her, UConn has an interest in her, I am sure a discussion will occur about the role and opportunities UConn offers her. Just remember that OSU had a UConn assistant on their staff and Dorka also knew Nika...The UConn bond exists...stay tuned.
Abby chose Princeton for a reason. She has great BB success at Princeton and was Ivy League NPOY. Although UConn is interested, the question is, is Ms. Meyer interested in a BB career or a scholastic career. Not saying that UConn is not a great University.

Reaction Score
I understand to a degree that the four year player is good for players and coaches, and should be a higher priority than a rent a player. But in the current world **** happens, players leave, or players you thought you had a good chance of recruiting go elsewhere etc. In some cases filling a temporary need with a RAP can actually be respectful of existing and incoming players.

We thought we had a decent chance at Kiki Rice. In my opinion if she had committed to us we wouldn't be clamoring so much for Abby Myers. At that point there were no more Uconn level high school recruits to be plan B. We had 6 guards this year, and for a number of games, 3 of those were out at the same time and we didn't have anybody to give our starters there a rest.

Next year we only have 4 (I count Aubrey more as a big), and clearly we need at least one more and the portal is the only option. In some ways I believe pursuing a player like Abby for just one year is showing respect for existing and future players. Consider it from the perspective of KK Arnold or Ashlyn. The year after next, they come on board and we have plenty of guards again. Adding Abby or a similar player for just one year doesn't interfere with them at all. As for existing players, the one most potentially affected is Nika.

Nika is a point guard, not a SG or SF. At a minimum I think she will get Paige's backup minutes even with a good player from the portal. The main benefit from a portal pickup would be to help at the 2/3 and be more of a scorer than Nika, who could provide a defensive alternative for spot minutes there. In essence that would be a very good 5 player rotation for the 1,2 &3 and then when the 2023 guards come on board the rent a player is gone.

I think with the current situation, a RAP fitting a specific need for one year, that improves the team, saves a role in the rotation for players that are there now, and doesn't impact our 2023 guard recruits at all is actually pretty respectful of current and future players. Now if we pursue someone with three years of eligibility remaining, that is different, but I don't think we will do that.
Very simply, I am thinking recruited players first, not team. For example, I just don't want to see Nika's minutes affected. Even now, I want to see Nika on the floor more. Regarding 2023, you don't really know if the incoming guards would be affected at this point. Could there be another RAP in 2023?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom