Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really don't get it. Year after year Maryland starters leave and more rush in. Of course I have always considered Princeton the least academic of Ivies.
My pop psychology (for fun)

Influx: Offensive minded team so individual numbers can be good. Up tempo. Good players always feel they can take an underachieving (but still good team) to the final level

Outflux: Underachieving and inconsistent. Brenda with her rah rah style could get old.

Seems like a region of the country with alot of traffic. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is coming from Ivy League school maybe she has some academic interest that is offered at Maryland plus wants to be close to home? Not everything is strictly basketball. I'm sure basketball is big part but Maryland was in Sweet 16 last year its not like she is going to a 3 win team. Also I think we are past the point now with 1000 in the portal annually that transfer automatically means the team has an issue, maybe the kids have an issue because as we see with some players they keep transferring they are never happy. Its not always the school
Abby Meyers has one year of eligibility remaining. She "had" to leave Princeton. Her decision to attend MD better be mostly about basketball since they are giving her a BB scholarship. MD has a transfer problem/issue and has a for a few years now. Lexie Brown left Maryland after the team made appearances in consecutive Final Four and I believe the #1 or 2 recruiting class on the way in.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Abby Meyers has one year of eligibility remaining. She "had" to leave Princeton. Her decision to attend MD better be mostly about basketball since they are giving her a BB scholarship. MD has a transfer problem/issue and has a for a few years now. Lexie Brown left Maryland after the team made appearances in consecutive Final Four and I believe the #1 or 2 recruiting class on the way in.

Here's an All-Star team of Maryland transfers: Reese, Owusu, Austin, Staiti, Mikesell, Slocum, et al.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One thing that struck me about Abby in one of the post game tournament pressers when was she had a great game was that she was a complete Alpha personality. She want's the bright lights

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Benzan is not in the portal. She finished her 5 years of eligibility.

The Terps in the portal: Reese, Owusu, Collins, Lewis, and Kozlova.
I was just going off of Alexa's tweet:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ill take it easy on you, but there are 7 players listed there...
Thanks, I wasn't a math major. I just focused on Benzan. These days it seems that some players play forever, granted 6th years, etc. Nothing surprises me where the NCAA is involved.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Here's an All-Star team of Maryland transfers: Reese, Owusu, Austin, Staiti, Mikesell, Slocum, et al.

Another one that people forget. Kiara Leslie... did little to nothing at Maryland... graduated in three years.. grad transferred to State, was an All-ACC, Honorable mention All-American and was a first round pick in the WNBA.

Reaction Score

It is interesting that, apart from Natasha Cloud, the Terp transfers haven't fared so well at the pro level. Slocum was recently waived by the Aces. Leslie was waived by the Mystics last year I think, maybe two years ago? Brown has bounced around from WNBA team to team. She had a good season coming off the bench for the Lynx but they waived her right before training camp the following season. (She did win a championship with the Sky, which is awesome! But played minimal minutes for them and is no longer on their roster... hopefully things work out for her with the Sparks.) Gillespie was drafted but hasn't played with any WNBA team, I don't think. Staiti wasn't drafted... All of these players did well when they transferred and seemed happy, and that is the most important thing. But, I wonder if the Maryland teams of the past five or six years would have done any differently if they'd stayed.

I think Austin's pro career will be different, though, and it will be great to see how she develops under Thibault.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We need some good news here. I'm still bumming about not getting Toomey, and now Maryland gets someone who I think could have helped us. This on top of losing the NC, hell, April use to be very good for us. Ok, Geno and Co., get us some good news that we can talk about this summer. Enough said.

Reaction Score
I do not believe what you describe is accurate. For those who played during the 2020-2021 season, that year does not count towards their 4 years of eligibility. Those players get an extra (5th) year of eligibility. Those players who did not play during the 2020-2021 season get an extra (6th) year to complete their 4 years of eligibility. Meyer's situation falls in to the latter category. She'll now have an extra (6th) year to complete her 4 years of eligibility.
It was the IVY league that cancelled the season, the NCAA may look kindly on the 6th year waiver, as opposed to the schools who cancelled the season after the start did not go so well...
Regardless, a transfer should be looked at for the year(s) of eligibility that are "guaranteed" without the waiver appliction procedure, as this is UCONN we are talking about [vice the "Golden Domers"].... and the NCAA committee has a special flowchart pathway ==> "Is request from UCONN Women's Basketball?" If so ==> "NO, waiver denied!"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was the IVY league that cancelled the season, the NCAA may look kindly on the 6th year waiver, as opposed to the schools who cancelled the season after the start did not go so well...
Regardless, a transfer should be looked at for the year(s) of eligibility that are "guaranteed" without the waiver appliction procedure, as this is UCONN we are talking about [vice the "Golden Domers"].... and the NCAA committee has a special flowchart pathway ==> "Is request from UCONN Women's Basketball?" If so ==> "NO, waiver denied!"
Abby is going to Maryland. This does not matter anymore. The NCAA has decided that although the Ivy League decided to not have sports in '20-21 it will not be granting an extra year of eligibility for Ivy League players or any player that chose to opt out of the '20-21 season such as Maya Dodson formerly of ND. So your flow chart theory is kind of crooked.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another one that people forget. Kiara Leslie... did little to nothing at Maryland... graduated in three years.. grad transferred to State, was an All-ACC, Honorable mention All-American and was a first round pick in the WNBA.
There is also Natasha Cloud a kid from the Philly burbs who transferred to St. Joes and was among the nation's leader in assist while in college and has gone on to carve out a pretty good WNBA stretch.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing Abby playing in the Big Ten. Maryland landed a pretty solid player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing Abby playing in the Big Ten. Maryland landed a pretty solid player.
Princeton gave Indiana a good game in the NCAA tourney. Abby got some early Big Ten competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom