Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts

Reaction Score
My good buddy from Mobile and huge Auburn guy sent me this article and note yesterday. Article may have already been posted somewhere on the Yard.

"Good Article...we're watching whats going on up there. Y'all won't recognize your offense if Lashlee has full control. Malzahn throttled him at times but he thinks he knows more about O than anyone... Edsall doesn't (right?). And don't sleep on your new Line coach. He'll have his guys ready."
How UConn’s throwback hire can work ... eventually

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pat Forde Yahoo Sports: "Could argue that UConn hiring Pasqualoni when it did was the most damaging decision any school has made in the last 15 years."

I could argue that throwing it on 3rd and long up 7 against Vanderbilt was but, yeah hiring a lazy coach was bad too.

Reaction Score
The one thing I find interesting with Edsall versus the other two: he knows how to manage a roster. He does understand talent and how to use them. He builds a team from a defined set of possible athletes. He wouldn't be caught with a Jonny McEntee as his starting QB with little competition or Lyle McComb as the only RB of any talent. The OLine deficiency would last years. Etc

The guy proved that he understood how to develop a competitive northeastern US team. Now he has the good AD.
Except Edsall would have had McEntee as the starter - with little competition. He left and when he did we had no QB. He could see the writing on the wall. Maybe he would have done better but Edsall left the team with no scholarship QB except a RS Frosh I believe. McEntee would probably have been his guy.

Reaction Score
Except Edsall would have had McEntee as the starter - with little competition. He left and when he did we had no QB. He could see the writing on the wall. Maybe he would have done better but Edsall left the team with no scholarship QB except a RS Frosh I believe. McEntee would probably have been his guy.
Edsall would have gone with Mike Nebrich on Moreheads recommendation. Morehead (he recruited Mike) always knew that Nebrich would have become what he eventually did very quickly at Fordham or at UCONN if given the chance to learn on the job. The difference was Pasqualoni never could recognize a good but green QB with loads of potential. PP was a stubborn old man who was not about to gamble the season and take a chance on a young freshman QB just because his OC wanted to try that. Edsall was more flexible and trusting in his subordinates than PP. McEntee would have been the backup even if Nebrich had had some learning to do during actual games. There was friction between PP and Morehead that last season before Morehead left for Fordham.

Reaction Score

Sorry. I'm not buying this sloth. Edsall knew talent. Got one year that he saw guys not developing fast enough - he went for Tyler Lorenzen. He always has two + stud RBS. Think Andre Dixon + Donald Brown; or the 4 kids who all went over 100y when Caulley went down. Robbie Frey would have stayed and starred. Offensive Lines were well formed and developed.

Contrast? Every year Pasquoloni or Diaco had major positional problems.

Reaction Score
When the thought of mere competence is a breath of fresh air, you know you've been through some rough coaching tenures. I was happy the first second I heard that he might be the next coach.

I thought we had plateaued with him the last time around and I was not upset to see him go - I was so freaking wrong. If he doesn't leave, we don't crater and perhaps we're not sitting in this no-man's land outside the P5.

Edsall fits UConn and UConn fits Edsall.

I agree with this. I thought he plateaud also.
In retrospect it was Hathaway that needed to go not Edsall.

Reaction Score
When I heard RE got hired, I was against the hire, but now, I think this year we are going to surprise, if we beat USF (@Tampa, I'll be there.), it will be an upset (USF might go undefeated and Quinton Flowers is Heisman candidate). I'm not sure who might be the QB, but if DP is, I think BS might be used on downs, too.

How's the QB doing? Anyone know?

Reaction Score
When I heard RE got hired, I was against the hire, but now, I think this year we are going to surprise, if we beat USF (@Tampa, I'll be there.), it will be an upset (USF might go undefeated and Quinton Flowers is Heisman candidate). I'm not sure who might be the QB, but if DP is, I think BS might be used on downs, too.

How's the QB doing? Anyone know?

I hope you didn't pay a lot for those tickets since there won't be a game in Tampa....game is at the Rent on 9/9

Reaction Score
Oops, I'll be at Orlando for UCF UConn. I thought it was USF hosting UConn...
Execution.jpg

Reaction Score
Listen, I'm ready to rename the stadium Dave Benedict's Pratt and Whitney Stadium and the city of East Hartford Randy Edsalltown.

Yes, but not yet!!! Prove it in the field, win games and I am good to go!!!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
My good buddy from Mobile and huge Auburn guy sent me this article and note yesterday. Article may have already been posted somewhere on the Yard.

"Good Article...we're watching whats going on up there. Y'all won't recognize your offense if Lashlee has full control. Malzahn throttled him at times but he thinks he knows more about O than anyone... Edsall doesn't (right?). And don't sleep on your new Line coach. He'll have his guys ready."
How UConn’s throwback hire can work ... eventually
Nice Bulletin Board materials here!

upload_2017-8-9_14-22-21.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Boom! But can you really argue with it? You can't objectively argue with it yet - until we all see the Lashlee/Crocker combo surprise South Florida - then the apple cart will be overturned and the above blown up.

Reaction Score
If I see 3 consecutive running plays up the middle, and then a punt, I think I'll die. Edsall was notoriously a vanilla play caller.

I HOPE he's changed. God I hope he's changed

Although Lashly relies on the run game. I am confident that your concern (and mine) will be the exception rather than the rule. He didn't leave Auburn to play that kind of game here. However no huddle doesn't me no run. Lashly schooled under Gus Malzahn. This video may provide insight on what to expect.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Although Lashly relies on the run game to an extent, I am confident that will be the exception rather than the rule.
You can only go off the numbers from his last job, whether he called every play or agreed with them; Auburn ran the ball over 70% of the time in 2016.

I don't think any series was 3 up the middle though.

Since Rhett Lashlee took over play-calling duties Auburn is on a three-game win streak and has been more productive on offense, with a clearly more emphasized and consistent running attack and efficient passing game.

Auburn's offensive coordinator is 4-0 as a play-caller, including last year's Texas A&M game, in large part because he's restored the run-first identity to Tigers, who coach Gus Malzahn describes as a "run, play-action team" but he got away from at times at the start of the season.

What has changed at Auburn with Rhett Lashlee calling plays?

Auburn football shifts from run-heavy scrimmages with '40 percent' passes

FYI Auburn was 94th in total offense NCAA 2016 - yards per game.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat. I used to scream at the radio during the post game show when he'd say, "We had a good game plan, but we just didn't execute." I envisioned him getting even more stuck in his ways as he's gotten older. So far, I think I was wrong. Lashlee and Crocker were shockers. Who ever expected to see a Randy Edsall team line up in a 3-3-5 (although they did use the "Husky LB" back in the day)? He seems more open and he's trying to make the program more relatable for fans, players and prospects. Maybe part of it is having his son around (I sincerely hope they work that out), but whatever the reason, I think he's going to get the job done.

The nepotism stuff isn't fair to the person being (not) hired. I see nepotism as hiring a friend or relative who is not qualified. If someone wants to challenge qualifications, fine. But if the hire is qualified, move on.

Reaction Score
You can only go off the numbers from his last job, whether he called every play or agreed with them; Auburn ran the ball over 70% of the time in 2016.

I don't think any series was 3 up the middle though.

Since Rhett Lashlee took over play-calling duties Auburn is on a three-game win streak and has been more productive on offense, with a clearly more emphasized and consistent running attack and efficient passing game.

Auburn's offensive coordinator is 4-0 as a play-caller, including last year's Texas A&M game, in large part because he's restored the run-first identity to Tigers, who coach Gus Malzahn describes as a "run, play-action team" but he got away from at times at the start of the season.

What has changed at Auburn with Rhett Lashlee calling plays?

Auburn football shifts from run-heavy scrimmages with '40 percent' passes

FYI Auburn was 94th in total offense NCAA 2016 - yards per game.

Good reads. The emphasis of this system seems to focus on maximizing the number of offensive plays per game whether run or pass. If nothing else it will be fun to watch and such a stark contrast from the past "slow ball" philosophies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom