Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts | The Boneyard

Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts

Reaction Score
As some of you might remember, I was one of the strongest critics of the Edsall hire. Sure I wanted Diaco gone, but to me, Edsall was a very stubborn guy who, with a bunch of NFL players and playing in a BCS conference, could never win more than 9 games in a season. I wanted someone that could potentially lead us to double digit wins, as we have seen Memphis, Temple, Navy and UCF, among others, do recently. I saw no evidence from his previous experience that Edsall was that guy.

Well, after seven months on the job, it is clear that Edsall 2.0 is not Edsall 1.0. From the hiring of Lashlee as offensive coordinator to the use of social media, it is evident this is a person that appears to have learned form his mistakes and is willing to change to find success. How that will translate to wins and losses is anybody's guess at this point, but things appear to be moving in the right direction. Not completely sold yet on the Edsall hire, but I have hope again as a die hard UConn football fan, something that was completely gone by late October of lats year.

Reaction Score
Edsall was a great hire to get this program back on the tracks. He's experienced and brings structure. We have had six years of complete, total and utter incompetence and we need someone to fix this. If Edsall's ceiling is nine wins I welcome reaching that and having the discussion on limitations.

Until then I will welcome competence and progress.

Reaction Score
As some of you might remember, I was one of the strongest critics of the Edsall hire. Sure I wanted Diaco gone, but to me, Edsall was a very stubborn guy who, with a bunch of NFL players and playing in a BCS conference, could never win more than 9 games in a season. I wanted someone that could potentially lead us to double digit wins, as we have seen Memphis, Temple, Navy and UCF, among others, do recently. I saw no evidence from his previous experience that Edsall was that guy.

Well, after seven months on the job, it is clear that Edsall 2.0 is not Edsall 1.0. From the hiring of Lashlee as offensive coordinator to the use of social media, it is evident this is a person that appears to have learned form his mistakes and is willing to change to find success. How that will translate to wins and losses is anybody's guess at this point, but things appear to be moving in the right direction. Not completely sold yet on the Edsall hire, but I have hope again as a die hard UConn football fan, something that was completely gone by late October of lats year.
I'm in the same boat. I used to scream at the radio during the post game show when he'd say, "We had a good game plan, but we just didn't execute." I envisioned him getting even more stuck in his ways as he's gotten older. So far, I think I was wrong. Lashlee and Crocker were shockers. Who ever expected to see a Randy Edsall team line up in a 3-3-5 (although they did use the "Husky LB" back in the day)? He seems more open and he's trying to make the program more relatable for fans, players and prospects. Maybe part of it is having his son around (I sincerely hope they work that out), but whatever the reason, I think he's going to get the job done.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Edsall 2.0 has made moves similar to PP. He is bringing on known names within the game. Coaches who are known in the industry. Different RE2.0 has gotten coaches on the upswing or in their prime. PP went after known coaches with baggage.

BD had a very small coaching tree to reach out to and recruit from. That is always the danger of hiring an up and come for their first head coach job. Who can they bring with them?

It's obvious that RE and AD Dave along with Asst AD Beth still had fresh Rolodex's to reach out to viable coaches.

How this translates to wind this year, IDK.

But for the first time in 6 seasons UConn athletes will be coached by coaches who are current and competent in their positions. And an HC that knows how to build a program at this level.

I guess that's called optimism?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I didn't think I'd be as excited as I am at this point. I mean, I don't expect UConn to go bowling, but there is actual hope for that and for long term competence. Diaco couldn't adjust to the demands of a season (among other shortcomings) and RE 1.0 could be inflexible at times, but it's obvious from the makeup of the staff that's going to be less of an issue. Just from comparing who's on the staff top to bottom, and what they've been able to do on the recruiting trail in a short period of time compared to the previous regime, it's pointed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I didn't think I'd be as excited as I am at this point. I mean, I don't expect UConn to go bowling, but there is actual hope for that and for long term competence. Diaco couldn't adjust to the demands of a season (among other shortcomings) and RE 1.0 could be inflexible at times, but it's obvious from the makeup of the staff that's going to be less of an issue. Just from comparing who's on the staff top to bottom, and what they've been able to do on the recruiting trail in a short period of time compared to the previous regime, it's pointed in the right direction.

I won't be surprised if we look back on this staff in a decade and see some prominent football coaches across the country. Crocker, Lashlee, and Wholley all seem to have "it"

Reaction Score
I like the Offensive and Defensive coordinator hires. The recruiting seems to be better this time around(but you can't gauge recruits til they perform against other teams in the league). I'm satisfied that Edsall was sincere about his apology and the fact that the University signed him on the relative cheap has to figure in somewhere. Yet, he hasn't won a game yet so a tempered enthusiasm is my way right now. I was not in favor of the hire initially and am not going to jump on the Randy bandwagon til the team has been invited to a bowl. But.... I'll happily keep the bandwagon in sight throughout the season. GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
I wasn't in favor of the Edsall hire because I thought it was bringing in another retread coach who would temporarily put a**es in the seats. I was never mad at the way he left..only because I knew how bad things were in the AD with Hathaway. I was skeptical at things until he started hiring his staff. I am on the record here as not being a fan of the 3-3-5...and I'm still not. But the Edsall who is here now isn't the Edsall that left for MD or the Edsall that coached the Terps; his firing at MD and time with the Lions and Jim Caldwell taught him some good things and he has changed for the better...seems to really appreciate UConn and what he built. Here is what I know will happen with a Edsall coached team...they will be prepared, will play hard, and be disciplined...and he believes in special teams ESPECIALLY the punt return. I'm looking forward to seeing this team play...but no matter what happens if I'm healthy enough to make it to the Rent for a game I will be there till 0:00 is on the clock win or lose...rain, snow or shine.

Reaction Score
I was as big of an Apologista as you'll find in his first run. Wasn't thrilled with the hire but understood it.

This board got fooled with bucket hats, energy vampires, and fish cakes before. So I want results. I will say, that he's seemed to have evolved from v1.0.

Reaction Score
Look at the direct impact Edsall has had already, recruits are pouring in left and right! He's giving the fans what they want (block C throwback game push, promotions during games, new field designs, etc.) The only thing left to do is win and I have a lot of confidence that we will be able to improve tremendously from last year.

Reaction Score
What?!?!

Paul-Pasqualoni-Photo.jpg

Throw prototypes in there as well. Spackler used to look at our roster as though it was .

As much as P sucked Diaco was way worse.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the comments above and I will add that I don't think he will be sniffing around for another HC job. I think he will retire at UConn and we will see a lot of turnover of assistants as they move on to bigger programs. Thats a good thing. That means they are doing well.

UConn needs this stability and Edsall at UConn is a perfect match right now.

Reaction Score
I won't say I was exactly anti Edsall 2.0 but I was disappointed. But from the minute he took the podium my view changed. Never underestimate competence first and foremost. And Edsall is competent at worst. And I keep coming back to his comment that he did what he had to do to win football games. When he had Dan they threw the ball all over the place. When he had Brown Todman and Dre and a talented oline he ran it down people's throats. Not sure he was so ridged as he played to his strengths. One last thought on 1.0 is that I actually believe the Jasper Howard team was setting up to be his best. Two last second losses when that group was emotionally devastated kept them from a bcs bowl. Once they had a week off to get their heads back they beat ND and South Carolina and USF.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When the thought of mere competence is a breath of fresh air, you know you've been through some rough coaching tenures. I was happy the first second I heard that he might be the next coach.

I thought we had plateaued with him the last time around and I was not upset to see him go - I was so freaking wrong. If he doesn't leave, we don't crater and perhaps we're not sitting in this no-man's land outside the P5.

Edsall fits UConn and UConn fits Edsall.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Throw prototypes in there as well. Spackler used to look at our roster as though it was prom.

As much as P sucked Diaco was way worse.

Agreed. With P, at least we've seen a good deal of his players develop into NFL talent. Look back at all of the Diaco recruits and tell me who's had considerable success...I believe Diggs was his first recruit, and he's turned out to be a solid player. Can't credit BD with bringing in Newsome. Hergy and Peart are fine. That '15 class on the whole was brutal. The '16 class hasn't had a chance to prove itself either way yet, but we saw BD absolutely rave about Donovan Williams who now looks like he'll probably never see another snap for UConn and he seems to have somehow brought in a punter who is unfit for the collegiate level according to RE.

Reaction Score
After Diaco, Kate Upton would look good as the head coach.

I remember like others that Edsall should have done more with the talent he had.

So I will wait like in the past 3 seasons for something good to happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When the thought of mere competence is a breath of fresh air, you know you've been through some rough coaching tenures. I was happy the first second I heard that he might be the next coach.

I thought we had plateaued with him the last time around and I was not upset to see him go - I was so freaking wrong. If he doesn't leave, we don't crater and perhaps we're not sitting in this no-man's land outside the P5.

Edsall fits UConn and UConn fits Edsall.

You weren't wrong and he doesn't fit UConn. He is an average coach that couldn't hack it at the next level after inheriting a strong program from his predecessor. He is inheriting a disaster here.

We have competence back after a coach that was mailing it in (Pasqualoni) and a coach that had no idea what he was doing (Diaco). UConn is a very different program now than it was when Edsall left, and the challenges are much greater. My fear is that this is Pasqualoni 2.0 because being a mid-major coach takes fire and I am not sure Edsall still has it after wearing a headset for 17 years, the last 6 at a P5 school. We will find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
If I see 3 consecutive running plays up the middle, and then a punt, I think I'll die. Edsall was notoriously a vanilla play caller.

I HOPE he's changed. God I hope he's changed

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If I see 3 consecutive running plays up the middle, and then a punt, I think I'll die. Edsall was notoriously a vanilla play caller.

I HOPE he's changed. God I hope he's changed

Edsall def won't be calling plays on offense. Lashlee left Auburn specifically because he wanted to call plays. He sure as heck wouldn't leave for UConn without that guarantee.

Reaction Score
Look at the direct impact Edsall has had already, recruits are pouring in left and right! He's giving the fans what they want (block C throwback game push, promotions during games, new field designs, etc.) The only thing left to do is win and I have a lot of confidence that we will be able to improve tremendously from last year.
New field designs?

Reaction Score
Agreed. With P, at least we've seen a good deal of his players develop into NFL talent. Look back at all of the Diaco recruits and tell me who's had considerable success..

I count exactly one P recruit who got drafted and that is Obi, Noel Thomas might make it in the NFL.....I think Diaco was an awful coach but P was equally atrocious if not worse. P was just lucky to have Don Brown for two years which put some window dressing on his disaster.

also P inherited a quality program and buried it. Diaco inherited a mess and it stayed a mess but the players did get in much better physical condition.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
When the thought of mere competence is a breath of fresh air, you know you've been through some rough coaching tenures.
The prospect of a return to mediocrity has me giddy, I don't dare dream of anything beyond that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom