Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts

Reaction Score
Yes, but how is her game management?

She is great at everything and is a fan favorite on media day. ;)

Rumor has it she even dated a lawyer who used to visit this board. :)

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
After Diaco, Kate Upton would look good as the head coach.

I remember like others that Edsall should have done more with the talent he had.

So I will wait like in the past 3 seasons for something good to happen.

I took pause with your second comment, I was under the impression that he was always able to develop players and got a lot out of them. just my opinion tho

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
If I see 3 consecutive running plays up the middle, and then a punt, I think I'll die. Edsall was notoriously a vanilla play caller.

I HOPE he's changed. God I hope he's changed

RE has already stated that he will be hands off when it comes to the offense, it will be RL to run as he sees fit.

Reaction Score
AD Dave had a fresh Rolodex to reach out to viable coaches
You can't minimize the influence of Benedict on Edsall 2.0's perspective. Imagine (shudder) at how Edsall 2.0 would be staffing up and acting if the re-hire was made by Hathaway or Warde. I understand he'd never come back for Hathaway, perhaps for Warde, but Benedict's SEC mindset and overall competence garnered respect from Edsall and allowed the acceptance of Lashlee's insistence that he have unimpeded control of all things offensive. Our OLine Coach also gets rave reviews from my Auburn buddies close to that program. Lots of Auburn folks have their eyes on the Huskies this year and they say expect some pleasant surprises. It's no joke that we may very well shock the football world.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
RE has already stated that he will be hands off when it comes to the offense, it will be RL to run as he sees fit.

Right. Edsall loved the inside handoff, which is my least favorite play in football because it takes forever to develop and is still right up the middle.

Reaction Score
Right. Edsall loved the inside handoff, which is my least favorite play in football because it takes forever to develop and is still right up the middle.
you're going to be really disappointed then. I bet we run inside zone at least 15-20% of the time this year.

Reaction Score
When the thought of mere competence is a breath of fresh air, you know you've been through some rough coaching tenures. I was happy the first second I heard that he might be the next coach.

I thought we had plateaued with him the last time around and I was not upset to see him go - I was so freaking wrong. If he doesn't leave, we don't crater and perhaps we're not sitting in this no-man's land outside the P5.

Edsall fits UConn and UConn fits Edsall.
this is spot on. he annoyed me toward the end of his tenure cause he seemed to always be looking to leave. I think both sides have reached the same conclusion. UConn and Edsall just fit. His under the radar recruiting 4-8 win with competent football won't be tolerated many places over the long term, but this place should be home for him.

Reaction Score
I was fine with the hire because I knew he's competent and I wasn't optimistic about the type of candidates we could attract. Figured best case he'd spend a few years here, get us back to winning 6-7 games, and then we'd bring someone else in to hopefully continue to evolve. Didn't really see Edsall getting us back to our peak without the advantages of the Big East.

Now I'm more optimistic. I don't follow recruiting quite as much as some, but it seems like on paper we are recruiting at a higher level than ever before. Both in filling out our class last minute for the season, and early returns on next year. Inspiring coaching hires. Much more promotion of the program than his previous run here, and probably more than we've seen with Diaco too. Don't want to get carried away since this time last year the vibe around the program was really positive too, , but I'm very excited to see progress this year, and where we can go for the future.

Reaction Score
I think the potential for RE2.0 is really strong. He is a changed man. He has dynamic assistants and an easy to get along with type of persona now. Honestly, I think RE coupled with some very credible assistants is already proving to be effective. They are recruiting well, the press both locally and nationally is optimistic and the fan base is getting excited. The key in all of this is something RE recently Tweeted. He has an awesome record of putting guys in the NFL. His return is resulting in a light shining on his record putting guys in the league. Recruits are finally getting what we were saying the first time around. Randy Edsall is a great evaluator and developer of talent. Guys should want to play for him. Now that he has dynamic assistants and a hipper culture surrounding him, things should really start to improve. I particularly love that his son is involved. He's got to see things the way many of us do and it is awesome to see him modernize the approach recruiting and publicizing the program.

Reaction Score
you're going to be really disappointed then. I bet we run inside zone at least 15-20% of the time this year.

I believe I read that this offense needs to establish the run in order to make the passing game effective.

I'm pretty sure that the running plays we see in this hurry up offense will not look like RE 1.0's running game.

Also, I'm thinking that play action will be a big part of the offense.

Reaction Score
I believe I read that this offense needs to establish the run in order to make the passing game effective.

I'm pretty sure that the running plays we see in this hurry up offense will not look like RE 1.0's running game.

Also, I'm thinking that play action will be a big part of the offense.

Auburn ran the ball about 70% of the time last year. We are going to see a ton of inside zone and outside zone; both coupled with RPOs. Everything will be set up by the running game.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
Auburn ran the ball about 70% of the time last year. We are going to see a ton of inside zone and outside zone; both coupled with RPOs. Everything will be set up by the running game.

I highly doubt we see that high of a percentage, this coaching staff knows what the strengths and weakness of this team are and the most glaring weakness is offensive line play and by result the running game, attempting to run the ball 70% of the time with the current roster would be asinine, I just dont see it. RL has already raved about the skill and speed of the WR on the outside as well as Pindells quick release, if you read between the lines that is a perfect set up for a ton of RPO and WR screens to spread the field and once those occur then the zone will be implemented. Auburn might have run the ball that frequently but this isnt auburn and we dont have the line that auburn did to assume we will operate the same way is crazy.

Reaction Score
I get the impression that most of you guys missed the Orlovsy era. Maybe it means I'm getting old but regardless when we had a guy who could fling it around we flung it around. If you look at the JUCO kid in 06 pre injury he threw it around too. Then he got hurt and never was the same as a passer. Edsall did what he needed to do with the guys he had. Nobody complained about running it up the middle when Todman got the first down to seal the Pitt game or Dixon scored to beat the Irish.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt we see that high of a percentage, this coaching staff knows what the strengths and weakness of this team are and the most glaring weakness is offensive line play and by result the running game, attempting to run the ball 70% of the time with the current roster would be asinine, I just dont see it. RL has already raved about the skill and speed of the WR on the outside as well as Pindells quick release, if you read between the lines that is a perfect set up for a ton of RPO and WR screens to spread the field and once those occur then the zone will be implemented. Auburn might have run the ball that frequently but this isnt auburn and we dont have the line that auburn did to assume we will operate the same way is crazy.

I never claimed we would run the ball 70% of the time, but running the football is the DNA of any of these new-age offenses. If I had to take a guess, we are going to run the ball close to 60% of the time.

Reaction Score
Honestly I was not thrilled with the Edsall hire but was so happy the Fiasco was gone. Edsall won me over at the Feb. meet and greet at The Rent, as he apologized for the way he left and his former players rallied around him, meant a lot to me.

Reaction Score
Honestly I was not thrilled with the Edsall hire but was so happy the Fiasco was gone. Edsall won me over at the Feb. meet and greet at The Rent, as he apologized for the way he left and his former players rallied around him, meant a lot to me.

players coming back and supporting a coach is huge. especially those that have went on to the NFL. Players don't go back and support bad coaches.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was ecstatic with the hire, and now I am even more confident in the direction RE and the staff has taken. The fact that he thought there was talent here to win now is different from what he saw on tape prior to coming here. The spring game was such a different departure to the last few years. There is a happy winning vibe in that building, around the program and with recruits. Now, if we can get the fans to show up and fill up the Rent, this program will be on the up and up year 1. We will go bowling this year. Mark it down.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Aren't you the same person who wanted UConn to de-emphasize football and go to the Big East for basketball?

I think HCRE learned a lot being away as we can see by his hirings. He could have gone to a bunch of coaches he knew well but instead brought in a very solid staff that had no to little connection to HCRE before.

Reaction Score
It's always nice to see the same people re-write history. Edsall loved the inside handoff when we had a dominating OL and NFL running backs.

When we had Dan Orlovsky we didn't see the inside handoff much.

Edsall has always coached the team to their strengths. "Notoriously conservative Edsall" gave the ball to Jordan Todman on 4th and short inside our own 20 yard line to seal a victory over Pitt because he knew that was the easily the best chance at winning the game.

the play.... inside handoff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom