Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts of an anti-Edsall hire guy as practice starts

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was also a card carrying apologists who was initially underwhelmed by the hire. It felt like a similarly unimaginative, low ceiling move to when JH hired P.

I am thrilled with most of what I have seen since. RE had grown quite a bit since 2010, the two (very young) coordinators appear to be bright, energetic and innovative and it looks like (possibly DB's orders) RE will be more of an administrator, keeping his hands off what the coordinators want, than we ever would have thought possible before his return.

The results remain to be seen but today there is hope, something we've had too little of since RE left 6 1/2 years ago.

Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic. I can't help but remember how much we all liked Diaco until the football started. 'Won't Get Fooled Again" has been in heavy rotation on my playlists.

This. While the signs are there and are encouraging, we won't know if randy has really changed until we see him rush more than four on a key 3rd and long in the 4th quarter, or stay in attack mode with a second half lead.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I was also a card carrying apologists who was initially underwhelmed by the hire. It felt like a similarly unimaginative, low ceiling move to when JH hired P.

I am thrilled with most of what I have seen since. RE had grown quite a bit since 2010, the two (very young) coordinators appear to be bright, energetic and innovative and it looks like (possibly DB's orders) RE will be more of an administrator, keeping his hands off what the coordinators want, than we ever would have thought possible before his return.

The results remain to be seen but today there is hope, something we've had too little of since RE left 6 1/2 years ago.

He does still have to win.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This. While the signs are there and are encouraging, we won't know if randy has really changed until we see him rush more than four on a key 3rd and long in the 4th quarter, or stay in attack mode with a second half lead.
Glass half full, I'm going to start by enjoying that second half lead.

Reaction Score
You can't minimize the influence of Benedict on Edsall 2.0's perspective. Imagine (shudder) at how Edsall 2.0 would be staffing up and acting if the re-hire was made by Hathaway or Warde. I understand he'd never come back for Hathaway, perhaps for Warde, but Benedict's SEC mindset and overall competence garnered respect from Edsall and allowed the acceptance of Lashlee's insistence that he have unimpeded control of all things offensive. Our OLine Coach also gets rave reviews from my Auburn buddies close to that program. Lots of Auburn folks have their eyes on the Huskies this year and they say expect some pleasant surprises. It's no joke that we may very well shock the football world.
Yes, the addition of Benedict in my view could be the turning point that gives UConn a legit shot at positioning itself for the next P-5 poaching expedition. Right away he brings in Edsall, a gutsy move on his part but a calculated move as UConn Nation is/was in desperate need of anything that resembled competency and something that would remind them of better days. Getting Edsall for a song lessened the initial sting of bringing back a coach that bailed on the school. Then, working some magic to hire a coaching staff that would peak curiosity further softened the blow of Edsall's return.

Reaction Score
Been thinking about this while traveling this week, and I am very encouraged by Edsall's comment that the current roster has the talent to win. That is very different from the approach that he took during his first tenure here (correctly) and at Maryland (incorrectly). In both places he was very upfront about needing to upgrade talent and change culture before fans could expect success. I hope he really believes what he is saying -- nobody can question his ability to assess talent.

Reaction Score
Put me in the catagory of not excited with the hire. However, I started to change my mind with the introduction conference and the apoligy, I thought it sincere and heart felt. It was nice that he acknowledge the mistake but that only made forgive him, I still did not think he was the right coach. I think Randy really wanted to come back, I think he believes this is where he wants to be. to paraphrase a quote from the intro conference "I told my wife the only place I would take another HC job would be Connecticut". Is it possible that AD Dave, wanted a person who wanted UCONN, and Randy is that person? I think AD Dave had the leverage to say if we take you back, you need to change, and here is what I want.... I want an exciting offense and I have just the OC in mind.. I want an agressive defence and I have just the DC in mind... I am exicted for next season. I am excited that Randy is doing a great job recruting, I am excited that we have a new OC that is competent, I am excited we have a new DC that is aggressive. I am satisfied with Randy as coach... but time will tell.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Last season was supposed to be the peak talent/experience level from the PP/Diaco recruiting classes.

It didn't end well obviously. I'm not sure how the losses in the secondary and lack of OK development affect the talent portion of the program but I am confident that whatever the level was these last years, that the coaching staffs cost us at least 3 games each season for the last 6 seasons.

I don't see Randy doing that. If there is talent left, we could surprise some folks. Step one is protecting the Rent, which RE always did even with transitional D1 talent.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Randy needed to see outside his own view. I am sure the Maryland fiasco hurt him deeply, but he started to change up offensively there. His time with the Lions really opened his eyes on how to delegate. The football coach in him saw the way the American played football and Randy's rolodex got him Crocker. Benedict got him Lashlee, but make no mistake about it, Lashlee needed a new perspective and Randy fits the bill for him.

UCONN football will be the winner with the above staff- and Randy will be here as long as he wants, Lashlee will move on to be a P5 coach and Crocker will make a name for himself. And I fully expect Wholley to be Randy's replacement.

Reaction Score
I wasn't thrilled with RE coming back at first, but I am on board now. Quick story - I was in Dallas in April for the women's final four (for a shorter trip than I had hoped) and I ran into Benedict at an alumni event. Even though I was at a basketball event, the only question I asked him was, "how did you get Rhett Lashlee to come here?" He smiled and said, "you will be very happy with the team this year."

Now of course he would say that, but I believe it. I believe RE and the staff he put together will make us better. So much so that not long after I spoke with Benedict, I became a season ticket holder for the first time after all these years.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Been thinking about this while traveling this week, and I am very encouraged by Edsall's comment that the current roster has the talent to win. That is very different from the approach that he took during his first tenure here (correctly) and at Maryland (incorrectly). In both places he was very upfront about needing to upgrade talent and change culture before fans could expect success. I hope he really believes what he is saying -- nobody can question his ability to assess talent.

I was happy to read those comments also. I think in RE's first tenure with UConn, he had to build up 1A talent. So I think it was fair for him to say that fans needed to be patient. RE at MD had to clean up the culture....so it makes sense that he needed new talent there. I think the difference with RE 2.0 is that he doesn't have to change a lot from Diaco's culture. Diaco sucked as a coach, but he brought in good kids. RE can work with anyone who is motivated and committed to the program. The talent may not have been great...but the culture was ok. That's why I think he feels good about having success this year.

Well...that and 2 VERY strong coordinators, quality coaching staff and a couple key player additions (Pindell..and maybe Washington).

Reaction Score
The one thing I find interesting with Edsall versus the other two: he knows how to manage a roster. He does understand talent and how to use them. He builds a team from a defined set of possible athletes. He wouldn't be caught with a Jonny McEntee as his starting QB with little competition or Lyle McComb as the only RB of any talent. The OLine deficiency would last years. Etc

The guy proved that he understood how to develop a competitive northeastern US team. Now he has the good AD.

Reaction Score
Diaco made me sick, so I was never a critic of Edsall. I knew that RE had problem with AD Jeff Hathaway so when he took the Maryland job he did not exit gracefully to say the least. But I never forget that it was RE who built the UConn football program from practically nothing into a mid major with lots of buildings to his credit.
Since the return of the version 2 of RE, I have to say I am impressed with how he has rejuvenated the program in new coaching hires, new commits, return of alumni and the feel good around the program. Of course, UConn and RE and the program still have to win on the field to win back the credibility and loyalty of fans and administration. I am predicting a winning season. I am really hopeful for the new season and the future.

Reaction Score
I count exactly one P recruit who got drafted and that is Obi, Noel Thomas might make it in the NFL.....I think Diaco was an awful coach but P was equally atrocious if not worse. P was just lucky to have Don Brown for two years which put some window dressing on his disaster.

also P inherited a quality program and buried it. Diaco inherited a mess and it stayed a mess but the players did get in much better physical condition.
P was left with no QB except Johnny who could throw it in trash cans in Gampel Pavilion but not so much on the field. Edsall left the cupboard pretty bare and told Todman to hit the road. Robbie Frye bailed. Edsall did a poor job of recruiting his las year or 2. No QB's and many burnouts/bailouts. Probably why he,himself, bailed. P had deck somewhat stacked against him, but should've done better his first year.

It was his first experience as HC and maybe he has learned more since. He is using the same blueprint recruiting. Get athletes and develop. Every kid he gets has some Track pedigree with documented times. Uphill battle for 4 or 5 wins though. Still no QB. Maybe Lashlee has the magic touch.

Disco Bob needed to be Coach at a lower level before taking on the mess UCONN had. It was like Keystone Cops. Seems like the Blues Brothers. He rounded up all his old pals in the band, regardless of where they were good or not.

Reaction Score
I just wanted to refresh my memory about my lukewarm response to the hire and relief at the change being made:

HCRE 2.0 Presser Thread (with Link to Watch)

Happy the presser went well. Randy is 1-0 when he walks in the door in a couple of days. As for my reaction? No cartwheels because it seems unrealistic to expect a quick repeat of his last few years. Just hoping that his abilities as an evaluator of talent and game preparation are still there. If he still "has it" and shows himself to be a more seasoned Coach in a good way, we get back to respectability fairly quickly. How fast and how far will depend on the staff and a little luck in developing a QB to lead the offense. I'm assuming because he's RE we will have a line that can block again and a defense that tackles and makes some plays. Now just show me the coaching staff and we're good.

Definitely more impressed now that the staff is in place and the roster is filling out. Even excited about every game on the schedule thinking maybe we have a shot at most of them. No miracles but solid progress.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Diaco made me sick, so I was never a critic of Edsall. I knew that RE had problem with AD Jeff Hathaway so when he took the Maryland job he did not exit gracefully to say the least. But I never forget that it was RE who built the UConn football program from practically nothing into a mid major with lots of buildings to his credit.
Since the return of the version 2 of RE, I have to say I am impressed with how he has rejuvenated the program in new coaching hires, new commits, return of alumni and the feel good around the program. Of course, UConn and RE and the program still have to win on the field to win back the credibility and loyalty of fans and administration. I am predicting a winning season. I am really hopeful for the new season and the future.

The Big East was a BCS conference for football, not a mid major. That was the equivalent at the time of what they now call the P5. I suppose you can consider the two seasons (2002, 2003) we played as an independent mid major seasons.

Reaction Score
Pat Forde Yahoo Sports: "Could argue that UConn hiring Pasqualoni when it did was the most damaging decision any school has made in the last 15 years."
Any possibility of posting the article link? Very interesting and would like to read whole article. Could not find. Thanks...

Reaction Score
After last year due to the financial concerns of the buyout I was resigned to the return of Diaco and another lost season. The return of Coach Edsall was a great day. Having observed K-State from a distance and seeing how Snyder returned and got their program back from the doldrums had made me wonder if that would work here. The assistant coaches Randy brought in show that they are happy with the opportunity. Our present staff is a huge upgrade from Diaco's. I think we have the talent to win now. Glad to hear the head coach say that. The safety position and the O-line are the question marks. I am hoping we can see a couple sellouts this season. BC at the Rent would have been one but I can see the reason to go for Fenway. 26 days to go!:)

Reaction Score
When the thought of mere competence is a breath of fresh air, you know you've been through some rough coaching tenures. I was happy the first second I heard that he might be the next coach.

I thought we had plateaued with him the last time around and I was not upset to see him go - I was so freaking wrong. If he doesn't leave, we don't crater and perhaps we're not sitting in this no-man's land outside the P5.

Edsall fits UConn and UConn fits Edsall.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I will add though, I think we do better than .500, with luck better than .750.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom