Thoughts about this recruiting class! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts about this recruiting class!

Reaction Score
Those are all valid concerns from a half empty point of view, but maybe HCRE knows he might have to take a proactive role in all those coaching areas for the time being. Edsall has always been a control freak anyway but IMO, in a good way. The one area Dunn is experienced is in working with Edsall, which is going to be important. So yes, there are some question marks, but at least our head coach is not named Diaco anymore.

Sure you’re wrong about everything but at least you can hang your hat on the glass half full can-do attitude!

Reaction Score
Sure you’re wrong about everything but at least you can hang your hat on the glass half full can-do attitude!
Actually your post is stupid to the nth power, and contrarily wrong on all implied points. Another poster might ask you to elaborate but please spare us.

Reaction Score
It's going to take at least another round of recruiting and strength/conditioning before Edsall can probably take this to the next level, the next level being at least decent and respectable.

It's good to know that he has the numbers of the current players strength/speed compared to when he was last here. He knows what it takes to get it back to where we were.

I could see us at 4-5 wins next year and then 2019-2020 we start to bust out.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
i've not been here long but this thread seems to have all the makings of "boneyard par for the course"

that said i share your enthusiasm, lots of raw talent/physicality with these guys. looking forward to what krajewski and black bring to the table

Reaction Score
Let's be done with the rose colored glasses and the happy horse manure. Nobody on this board has a clue if any of these guys can play or not. Not even the spring game is gonna tell us that much. Maybe not even the first game if it is against whom we think it is. Forecasting the success of the recruiting class at this time of year is a fool's errand. Like the man said, 2-3 years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn goes 7-5 next year they were playing in the CCC not the AAC.

They could lose the first two by 100.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
More than likely we will not know for a year or two about this class, but it has the makings of a very solid class with a couple of misses.

I know one thing. The speed has improved with this class for sure. Let's see if they can play some ball now.

Reaction Score
Anyone mention our new O-line coach has a black belt in karate?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I think this is the best recruiting class that UConn has put together. Athletic and physical talent is hard to find. I believe Randy did a great job taking advantage of early signing period also.
I gave you a like simply because we need more fans with your optimism.

Reaction Score
This team could be considerably worse off defensively.

As far as the recruiting class, where was it ranked in the conference? There were 3 defensive players we were involved with that really intrigued. Lorenz Metz, Landon Woodson, and Jalen Rayam. We went 0 for 3, with two signing with conference foes.

I'm also concerned with the manner in which Lashlee left and the whole Corey Edsall thing. To go to the mattresses against the state for newbie assistant, let the kid go coach elsewhere for a few years. Yes, it's stupid and petty on the state's end as well but they didn't target Edsall with this, it was always in place.

The clock is ticking. Personally I look at this year as the last where we could afford to keep spinning our wheels. 2019 They gotta start getting it done on the field.

Reaction Score
Aw do the words give you the sadz.

I’ll try to just post nonsense cuz I want it to be true.

I think UConn will win the Super Bowl next year!!

I agree with your assessment. I'm just giving you a hard time about endlessly beating the drum. Carry on..............

Reaction Score
Which is @whaler11?
A7D3614A-4B0D-4D59-945F-59F52862173D.jpeg

Reaction Score
This team could be considerably worse off defensively.

As far as the recruiting class, where was it ranked in the conference? There were 3 defensive players we were involved with that really intrigued. Lorenz Metz, Landon Woodson, and Jalen Rayam. We went 0 for 3, with two signing with conference foes.

I'm also concerned with the manner in which Lashlee left and the whole Corey Edsall thing. To go to the mattresses against the state for newbie assistant, let the kid go coach elsewhere for a few years. Yes, it's stupid and petty on the state's end as well but they didn't target Edsall with this, it was always in place.

The clock is ticking. Personally I look at this year as the last where we could afford to keep spinning our wheels. 2019 They gotta start getting it done on the field.

They were last in FBS football pass defense by almost 50 yards a game. How could they be "considerably worse?" The gave up 186 YPG on the ground (86th). That ranked them as the 126th defense of 129 teams. They gave up 519 yards a game. To be "considerably" worse, you have to extend the length of the games.

If Edsall is any good, he will have evaluated the defense and made adjustments in the off season. (I would prefer he scrap the 3-3-5 but that is doubtful). Plus, just being familiar with the defense should improve their play.

At the least, I expect the pass defense to be better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those are all valid concerns from a half empty point of view, but maybe HCRE knows he might have to take a proactive role in all those coaching areas for the time being. Edsall has always been a control freak anyway but IMO, in a good way. The one area Dunn is experienced is in working with Edsall, which is going to be important. So yes, there are some question marks, but at least our head coach is not named Diaco anymore.
Great points. I'm worried, not panicked. The major knock we all had on RE 1.0 was the stilted offense, and run, run, pass one dimensional play calling. With him effectively taking the helm and installing a puppet, the offense will be RE's design. In the AAC, I think the notion we can grind out teams and keep them off the field in low scoring affairs is a nice theory but doesn't work well in practice. I'm pretty certain RE puts a better product in the field year over year. He's the man for the job. But, the environment has changed from the old Big East style of play. He struggled at Maryland I think for roughly the same reasons. Ironically, I think he would have done well at Maryland in the B1G with some time since it's much closer to his preferred style of football.

Reaction Score
They were last in FBS football pass defense by almost 50 yards a game. How could they be "considerably worse?"

If Edsall is any good, he will have evaluated the defense and made adjustments in the off season. (I would prefer he scrap the 3-3-5 but that is doubtful). Plus, just being familiar with the defense should improve their play.

I expect the pass defense to be better.
Because they are losing 8 starters and the backups on the defensive line ( other than Murphy) were nonexistent last year. Does anybody believe that our run defense will improve from last year? I hope I am wrong but there is a good chance our defense could actually be worse next year. Hopefully, there will be a substantial improvement in the secondary but more likely it will be an incremental improvement. Its going to take a few years to right this ship. In the meantime, I'm thinking we will me watching some very high scoring games next year including some very ugly losses.

Reaction Score
They were last in FBS football pass defense by almost 50 yards a game. How could they be "considerably worse?" The gave up 186 YPG on the ground (86th). That ranked them as the 126th defense of 129 teams. They gave up 519 yards a game. To be "considerably" worse, you have to extend the length of the games.

Statistically speaking it's so far out of the norm, it's a safe bet they are "better" if for no other reason than the one stated. How Crocker is here is truly a head scratcher, and on the other side equally confounding.

Reaction Score
Because they are losing 8 starters and the backups on the defensive line ( other than Murphy) were nonexistent last year. Does anybody believe that our run defense will improve from last year? I hope I am wrong but there is a good chance our defense could actually be worse next year. Hopefully, there will be a substantial improvement in the secondary but more likely it will be an incremental improvement. Its going to take a few years to right this ship. In the meantime, I'm thinking we will me watching some very high scoring games next year including some very ugly losses.

If you are losing 8 starters on the worst D in the nation, are you really losing anything?

Reaction Score
If you are losing 8 starters on the worst D in the nation, are you really losing anything?
Excellent point. Here are the young dudes. (Cincinnati Two Deep). I like our returning LBs and there are big numbers (beyond this two deep) at DB. Foley and Luke were very good college players. That is where we need to step up. But in our defense scheme, DL is the least critical position group.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Cole Ormsby, RSr., 6-3, 264
Cam Stapleton, RSr., 6-4, 230 OR
Phillippe Okounam, RSo., 6-5, 290

DEFENSIVE LINE
Folorunso Fatukasi, RSr., 6-4, 303
Kevin Murphy, RSo., 6-1, 280

DEFENSIVE LINE
Luke Carrezola, Sr., 6-3, 260
Sheridan Lawley, RJr., 6-4, 275

LINEBACKER
Vontae Diggs, Sr., 6-2, 221
Darrian Beavers, Fr., 6-3, 216

LINEBACKER
Ryan Gilmartin, RFr., 5-11, 235

Junior Joseph, RSr., 6-1, 232
LINEBACKER
Santana Sterling, Jr., 6-0, 223
Chris Britton, RJr., 6-1, 225

DEFENSIVE BACK
Omar Fortt, Fr., 6-1, 190
Eddie Hahn, RFr., 6-3, 205

DEFENSIVE BACK
Jamar Summers, Sr., 6-0, 190
Tahj Herring-Wilson, RFr., 6-1, 190

DEFENSIVE BACK
Tyler Coyle, RFr., 6-1, 202

Brayden Brown, Fr., 6-1, 192
DEFENSIVE BACK
Marshe Terry, RSo., 6-4, 212
Aaron Garland, RSo., 5-11, 193

DEFENSIVE BACK
Tre Bell, RSr., 5-11, 175
Jordan Swann, Fr., 5-10, 180

Reaction Score

Familiarity may help.

I see no one on the roster that can come close to matching the productivity of Foley, Ormsby, Luke Zola, Junior Joseph and dare I say it Jamar Summers.

I'm aware guys can improve, but if you ask me how they could be worse, that's my answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom